Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDMI A/V receivers: what if I connect?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently looking at an Onkyo receiver that has HDMI...

It has 2 inputs and 1 output for HDMI as well as 3 component inputs and 1 component output.

If I fill up the 2 hdmi slots (cable and blu-ray e.g.) I will be using the satelitte and other possible devices via component.

I know the 2 hdmi slots are covered, however will the component and composite inputs be relayed to the output HDMI or will it need to go out through its seperate component and composite outputs?

I'm looking at Denon's via circuit city's website...

What is the diff b/w HDMI switching in Pass-through or Upconversion?

Last edited by Mole177; 03-26-08 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends on which model of Onkyo receiver you're looking at. Some of them do convert other formats to HDMI. I have found that OneCall.com has very thorough information, including downloadable spec sheets, for Onkyo's receivers.
Old 03-26-08, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 605 and anything higher will upconvert composite/S-Video/component to HDMI, as long as you tell your receiver to output through HDMI.

HDMI Pass-through means that the audio and video will pass through the receiver without being touched. So, for example, the audio on your DVDs/BDs will go on to your TV.

HDMI Audio Switching means that the receiver can switch audio from HDMI to output to your speakers. If you want to take advantage of lossless audio, you should look for a receiver that can do HDMI switching.

Upconversion and upscaling are often confused with each other. Upconversion means the receiver will take a lower input (composite, for example) and convert it up to a higher input (HDMI, for example). Just about every new decent receiver will do this. Upscaling means that it will scale the picture from one resolution to a higher one (for example, 480i to 1080p). Not many receivers do this unless they're high end (like Denons and higher-end Yamahas). Besides, I wouldn't want my receiver to upscale my DVDs. I'd trust my player to do that better (depending on the video processors).
Old 03-26-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

so which unit would be optimal?

a unit that has audio switching AND upconversion or upscale??
Old 03-29-08, 05:16 PM

I have Denon's 3808 and I love it! It does everything your talking about and does it very well? Depends on price and what options you need?
Old 03-29-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pat00139
Upconversion and upscaling are often confused with each other. Upconversion means the receiver will take a lower input (composite, for example) and convert it up to a higher input (HDMI, for example).
I have to mention that this is slightly off. Upconversion and scaling are the same thing in every discussion I have ever seen. I don't know if some receiver maker is using these words to mean different things, but they would be the only ones doing so.

Converting to a different type of output without changing resolution or other video processing is called transcoding.
Old 03-30-08, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I have to mention that this is slightly off. Upconversion and scaling are the same thing in every discussion I have ever seen. I don't know if some receiver maker is using these words to mean different things, but they would be the only ones doing so.
I was repeating what I read elsewhere. Someone said this and it made sense to me so that's why I wrote it that way.

It's also possible I misread and the poster meant what you wrote. In any case, thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by pat00139; 03-30-08 at 12:48 PM.