Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 10, March 25/26

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which American Idol Contestant will be sent home this week?
Kristy Lee Cook
15.63%
Michael Johns
0%
Ramiele Malubay
50.00%
Chikezie
18.75%
Brooke White
0%
Jason Castro
4.17%
Carly Smithson
4.17%
David Cook
2.08%
Syesha Mercado
4.17%
David Archuleta
1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Final 10 will be singing tonight in a 90 minute show, 7pm CDT. Results show is still an hour long, 8pm CDT on Wednesday, March 26th.

The theme tonight is that they will be singing a song from the year they were born, which is a theme I personally like since they can each choose their own genres.

So… who do you think will be voted home after tonight’s performance? And yes, KLC is the easy choice but she *may* do well assuming she goes with a country song.

A couple more things: Mariah Carey will be the mentor / will perform in three weeks, on April 15th, which is the same day that her new album, e=mc2, will be released. Very nice marketing tool! And the crying girl from last season was given tickets for tonight's performance - there's a decent chance you'll see her bawling over either David Archuleta or Jason Castro.

Last edited by Heat; 03-25-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 09:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
David Archuleta had better pick "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Paul Anka swing cover, of course). That would be awesome.
Old 03-25-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
An analysis in today's Chicago Tribune

The 'American Idol' Top 10: Who can win, who can't?
Something very strange is going on with "American Idol" this year. It's way too normal.

David Archuleta
This baby-faced, 17-year-old singer is cuter than a basket of puppies — puppies made of rainbows! Whether or not he wins, he could be the next Clay Aiken — a talented belter with a rabid fan base. But as the judges have said, he needs to take a few risks and venture outside his sweet-and-safe comfort zone. How about trying something just a little more rock ’n’ roll?
Can he win? Yes.

Jason Castro
Castro really erred with his most recent song choice — “Michelle” by the Beatles. His performance was sing-songy and utterly blah. He needs to stick with tunes that showcase his clear-as-a-bell voice, as his cover of “Hallelujah” did.
Can he win? Yes.

Chikezie
The most talented stage performer of them all, Chikezie has presence and charisma to spare. He’s fun to watch, but it’s hard to say whether he has staying power in the competition. His song choices and arrangements have been on the wacky side at times, and he’ll need to step it up and really wow the judges with his vocal skills, not just his friendly, energetic demeanor. Sticking with upbeat R&B and pop might be his best bet.
Can he win? Yes, but it’s a long shot.

David Cook
The best thing that ever happened to Chris Daughtry was getting kicked off “American Idol.” Daughtry went on to sell millions of records, but winning “Idol” would have destroyed his credibility in the rock world. And though the cocky Cook’s got a pretty good voice, “Idol” voters don’t really go for rockers.
Can he win? No. And he shouldn’t want to.

Kristy Lee Cook
Like Carly Smithson, Cook can belt out songs with the best of them, but do you remember her performances the next day? Me neither. She needs to really step up her game in the next few weeks and do her best to avoid sounding like “musical wallpaper,” as Simon put it.
Can she win? Maybe.

Michael Johns
He’s got the hunky, tousled looks of a pop star, but can he sing? Yes, but he has to be much more consistently good from now on. His version of “A Day in the Life” was, as the judges said, a mess, and he needs to pick uptempo, slightly rocking songs if he wants to stay in the game.
Can he win? Maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Ramiele Malubay
A bad karaoke singer. She should pack her bags.
Can she win? No.

Syesha Mercado
One pretty good performance, which judges overpraised during the second Beatles week, does not an “American Idol” champion make. Syesha’s been mostly forgettable all season, and I don’t see that changing.
Can she win? No.

Carly Smithson
This Irish singer has powerful pipes, but is that all she has going for her? She can’t resist steamrolling her way through each performance, grabbing each and every song by the jugular in her quest to subdue it. She roars through power ballads like Godzilla raged through Tokyo: It's more a rampage than a rendition. There’s no doubt that Smithson can deliver the difficult notes, but can she sing with emotion, subtlety and deftness? That remains to be seen.
Can she win? Maybe.

Brooke White
White is my favorite — she’s got a warm, earthy voice with a pleasing, throaty catch to it. But her performance of “Here Comes the Sun” last week proves that “less is more” should be her guiding principle. She’s not the most assured presence on stage (and she should avoid dancing like the plague), but when she uses a spare arrangement and emotionally connects to a song, as she did with “Let It Be,” she creates magic.
Can she win? Yes.
Old 03-25-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brooke White is my favorite as long as she's not dancing.
Old 03-25-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whoever wrote that Trib article is crazy. Praising KLC's vocals while dismissing Ramiele and Syesha? I don't think Ramiele has a chance in hell of winning either and will probably go first, but she calls Ramiele a "bad karaoke singer" and says, "Cook can belt out songs with the best of them. Can she win? Maybe." Crack-smoke much? Apparently. Jason Castro as one of the three favorites to win? Not a chance.

I'm sticking with my pick for the third week in a row, since it's worked out so well: KLC but I fear it's Syesha.

das
Old 03-25-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its Ramiele's week to go as she is the most forgettable one on the show right now... Syesha and KLC are probably also near the bottom, but if Syesha brings the sexy back this week, she might help herself a bit.
Old 03-25-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I think its Ramiele's week to go as she is the most forgettable one on the show right now... Syesha and KLC are probably also near the bottom, but if Syesha brings the sexy back this week, she might help herself a bit.
Agreed. I think Ramiele is a goner this week. Then again, she has been my pick for the last two weeks, as well.
Old 03-25-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it will be KLC, only way I figure she can survive is if she has a really good performance tonight.
Old 03-25-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Songs for tonight:

Spoiler:
# Syesha Mercado - 1987’s “If I Were Your Woman” by Stephanie Mills
# David Cook - 1983’s “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson
# Carly Smithson - 1983’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler
# Chikezie - 1985’s “If Only For One Night” by Luther Vandross
# Brooke White - 1983’s “Every Breath You Take” by The Police
# Jason Castro - 1987’s “Fragile” by Sting
# Ramiele Malubay - 1987’s “Alone” by Heart
# Michael Johns - 1978’s “We Are the Champions” by Queen
# Kristy Lee Cook - 1984’s “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood
# David Archuleta - 1990’s “You’re the Voice” by David Foster with Jeff
Pescetto
Old 03-25-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really? Talk about pandering to your base.

das
Old 03-25-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am LOL so hard at David Cook's song choice.

Ramiele had better bring it for her song choice.
Old 03-25-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Brooke's choice is going to be interesting. Looking forward to hearing it.
Old 03-25-08, 04:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I am LOL so hard at David Cook's song choice.
And amazingly enough, Chris Cornell has done a cover of that song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MgwAJrfXo

I wonder if David Cook's arrangement will be similar?
Old 03-25-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG

Wonder? I'd say it's a guarantee. If not Cornell's, than someone else's.
Old 03-25-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Good song choice by Chikizie. On the other hand, KLC cannot pick songs. She will be slaughtered tonight.
Old 03-25-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has it been discussed whether or not Brooke has a severely burned hand?

Watching the HD feed of her playing the piano, her left hand looked really wrinkly or scarred.
Old 03-25-08, 08:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kristy pulled the Flag card.!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH THIS IS SO FUNNY!!!

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!! HAHAAHHAHAHAHA
Old 03-25-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who will vote off KLC after seeing that song??
Old 03-25-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG

You think? F*ck you David Cook.
Old 03-25-08, 08:33 PM

ahhahaha SHOULD be everyone for PANDERING!!! Just PATHETIC!!

How could the judges diss her for that song.. I would have gotten up and punched her in the face.. she doesnt deserve to be there anyway... She is now a bigger joke than she could ever imagine.. shes the one who has crossed the line, picked a horrible song, and is basically untouchable...

If there was ever a thing called Karma,, I wish it would come into effect RIGHT NOW, and bite her in the ass, so she goes home.

Sadly, Simon (without getting crazy redneck americans on his back), meant the same thing when he said it was the smartest choice you could ever make.. Its so easy to trick americans? I wish voters would see this and avoid her.

and although I like to hear Chris' version of Billy Jean done, he is NO Chris Cornell. but still a decent job.
The judges TOTALLY over did it though, they aparently never heard Chris' version. I mean how Original is it when its just like Chris'? Its not like he's the one who came up with the idea of arranging it that way....

Last edited by foofighters7; 03-25-08 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kristy should have dedicated that to all the troops and victims of 9/11 just to be sure she's safe.
Old 03-25-08, 08:41 PM

hahaha

she might as well just sang "Ladder To Heaven"
Old 03-25-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Simon's comment to David A about him not being allowed to pick his songs was interesting in light of what's being gossiped about in reference to his father. I don't remember word from word.. but I took it that Simon thinks he's not in control.

I think Ramiele is going ... she sang first, which is always a kiss of death and the judges bashed her. Chikeze may also be in trouble.
Old 03-25-08, 08:57 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I thought I had heard David Cook's rendition of Billie Jean before... but I still liked it.

Bottom three for me is Ramiele, Chikeze, and Carly... with Ramiele going home.
Old 03-25-08, 08:57 PM

I really like Chikeze, I think he has a great voice, good presence, and is quite original. I really liked his performance last week too. This week wasnt as good as last week but I think he tried to just go for a different type of song, but it was still good.

Minus KLC I thought they were all pretty good. I WISH she would go, but if not, then definetly Jason.. he might as well come out and sing "Puff the Magic Dragon".. I swear to God, I just said that off the top of my head, but that actually sounds like something this guy would TOTALLY do! Think about it..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.