Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any new and exciting films/directors to look out for?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was watching Snatch today and I wondered to myself - How come they don't make movies like this?

Maybe they are and I'm just not seeing them. Movies like Run Lola Run or Pulp Fiction or even something stylized like Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet.

I think the trend this year was straight on narratives.

Got suggestions for new stuff that's like Snatch/Run Lola Run/Pulp Fiction/Romeo & Juliet?
Old 03-21-08, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
The Fall, from Tarsem (director of The Cell) Looks like a cool stylized fantasy.

http://www.thefallthemovie.com/
Old 03-21-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
You can check out Guy Ritchie's other good movie, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I didn't think it was as good as Snatch but thought it was a lot of fun in its own right.
Old 03-21-08, 04:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Old 03-21-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,003 Likes on 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
The Fall, from Tarsem (director of The Cell) Looks like a cool stylized fantasy.

http://www.thefallthemovie.com/
I just saw a trailer for The Fall yesterday and I am really looking forward to seeing it. The visuals looks amazing--but my disappointment with The Cell was that it looked great, but I didn't care for the story. I just hope The Fall gives the viewer a more emotional connection to the characters than The Cell did. From the trailer, it looks like it does. And I am a Lee Pace fan since I started watching Pushing Daisies, so that is a draw for me.
Old 03-21-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I just saw a trailer for The Fall yesterday and I am really looking forward to seeing it. The visuals looks amazing--but my disappointment with The Cell was that it looked great, but I didn't care for the story. I just hope The Fall gives the viewer a more emotional connection to the characters than The Cell did. From the trailer, it looks like it does. And I am a Lee Pace fan since I started watching Pushing Daisies, so that is a draw for me.
Never heard of "The Fall" before this thread. Didn't Ebert name "The Cell" one of the best movies of 2000? If not THE best movie that year? So, he's clearly a fan of the director. Anyway, "The Fall" looks interesting. I'll see it.
Old 03-21-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I agree that The Cell was one of the more visually appealing films I've EVER seen but the story needed some work. I can't wait to see The Fall as it looks to have stunning visuals as well.
Old 03-21-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Reviews for The Fall: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007441-fall/

All the movies you used as examples are highly stylized films.

I thought Perfume: The Story of a Murderer looked amazing But in terms of new talent, I can't really say I've seen anything really stunning lately, or at least nothing that has struck me as much as Donnie Darko, Memento, Requiem for a Dream/Pi have.

of course there's always :

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HlYonw2rdY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HlYonw2rdY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by RichC2; 03-21-08 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-21-08, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoever directed In Bruges.
Old 03-21-08, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be Martin McDonagh who directed In Bruges.

One newcomer that caught my attention was Rian Johnson with Brick. He has a new film coming out this year called The Brothers Bloom with Rachel Weisz, Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo.
Old 03-21-08, 10:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
maybe I'm lame, but I am looking forward to Speed Racer.
Old 03-21-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
One newcomer that caught my attention was Rian Johnson with Brick. He has a new film coming out this year called The Brothers Bloom with Rachel Weisz, Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo.

He's the only "new" filmmaker that came to mind. I'm also really really looking forward to Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's next project.