Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is the party about to end? Or about to get better?

avoiceoreason
03-19-08, 10:31 AM
Wall Street Journal reporting that Bertelsmann has hired bankers to explore the sale of their U.S. book, music, and DVD clubs which includes Columbiahouse.

Could anyone else operate CH as inefficiently (which happens to translate into benefits to us)?

On the other hand. . .

The reason they are looking to sell it is b/c they are having trouble competing w/ falling DVD prices at retail. So maybe there are even more and better deals ready to come our way!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

bloopbleep
03-19-08, 01:25 PM
Wall Street Journal reporting that Bertelsmann has hired bankers to explore the sale of their U.S. book, music, and DVD clubs which includes Columbiahouse.

Could anyone else operate CH as inefficiently (which happens to translate into benefits to us)?

On the other hand. . .

The reason they are looking to sell it is b/c they are having trouble competing w/ falling DVD prices at retail. So maybe there are even more and better deals ready to come our way!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
wait and see. I would expect columbia house will market blu-ray aggressively now as the change to dvd=blu-ray was faster than vhs=dvd.

BKenn01
03-19-08, 06:03 PM
Is it really that they are inefficient or is that our reality based on perception. What % of their customers go to the lengths we do to maximize the deals. I bet it is a very small number. Probably far more that forget to send in cards and get charged full price.

Any time new managment comes into any company hard changes are a possiblility, just look at the changes we have endured under the current ownership.

SterlingBen
03-22-08, 11:47 PM
Looks like it is time to start hard cycling accounts to me.

Jacoby Ellsbury
03-22-08, 11:59 PM
its impossible to open an account. Im 0 for my last 5 attempts.

Sex Fiend
03-23-08, 04:15 AM
Thankfully, I'm getting very close to the end of my comprehensive DVD wish list, with only a handful of titles that are available at CH. But I have 7+ years of being a member on CH to thank for having built my 2600+ title collection at a relatively reasonable cost.

Still, it does seem to me that the DVD Club catalog has been getting a little more lackluster over the last few years since BMG took over. They carry fewer new classic releases, and have been eliminating many older ones. Also, smaller label releases like Anchor Bay, Image, and Blue Underground seem to be getting phased out.

Hopefully, if there is new management they will go more in the direction of the older CH catalog, and less in the direction that BMG seems to be heading with the DVD Club (and the BMG Music Club, as well).

bigjim25
03-23-08, 11:07 AM
its impossible to open an account. Im 0 for my last 5 attempts.
Glad to see I'm not alone. I'm 0 for 6. :down: Any advice besides giving up? :D

riotinmyskull
03-23-08, 11:55 AM

are you guys applying via phone or online? if you're applying online then you really have no room to complain.

luckman65
03-23-08, 12:10 PM
I tried phone a week and 1/2 ago and looks like I didn't make it.

That'sAllFolks
03-23-08, 12:54 PM

Try using a code that does not require a PSN. I'd been out for about 5 years and recently opened two accounts with no problems. I used a PSN on a third account after closing one and it disappeared. Used an enrollment code without a PSN and got accepted. Maybe it was a fluke, but may be worth a chance.

bub
03-23-08, 01:03 PM
All it took was buying a new house, so new address, new phone number and a new rewards credit card, viola'...

Now, which of the above was the deciding factor is anybodies guess???

Also, I clicked on a link from a CH email that gave me 6,1,2 option with no PSN asked for.

Luck everybody,
George

Oh yea, approval email was 2 days and enrollment dvd's only a week and a half...

luckman65
03-23-08, 08:13 PM
I got an email that is a 6,1,3 (the '1' would be $14.95). No shipping charges.
QJ4 is the code.
Doesn't ask for PSN.

I'd rather have the 6,1,2 email that 'bub' has!

starman9000
03-24-08, 08:01 AM

I called in last Thursday with 98W and a PSN and it's the first application I've done in a while, but I was charged today so it looks like it was approved.

lizard
03-24-08, 10:44 AM
FWIW, your charge needs to be a "real" charge, as opposed to the temporary charge that Columbia House uses to test the credit card. Even real charges can be reversed, although this is rare (but I have had it happen on a phone enrollment).

starman9000
03-24-08, 11:18 AM
Yeah, it's a real charge, I never see the temp ones on this card. I haven't gotten the welcome email, but it seems like half the time I never get one, or don't until I've already recieved my enrollment package.

lizard
03-24-08, 12:11 PM
^Welcome e-mails are very rare with phone or mail orders.

Darth Maher
03-24-08, 12:29 PM
I've use 10W30 in the winter and 10W40 in the summer and that seems to work best... oh, wait... wrong thread. :)

Seriously though, I have been out of the club for a while now... probably 3 years. Was thinking about joining again, but I didn't know if the deals are still good. If they start offering Blu-ray titles, it would be a good way to get my collection up and running.

iconoclasm
03-24-08, 12:33 PM
i havent seen any good deals on CH dvd club. its still much cheaper to buy used dvds on ebay for $2-$3.

the tv on dvd club worked out pretty good for me but the weekly ads are almost as good without the hassle.

that said, IF there is a major switch to blue ray, that would make things very very fun(again),

Trevor
03-24-08, 01:25 PM
i havent seen any good deals on CH dvd club. its still much cheaper to buy used dvds on ebay for $2-$3.

Am I missing something here or isn't this completely untrue?

With CH, you should average less than $5 a title, and that includes shipping and tax, and gets you at least two BluRays.

Where on ebay do you find titles for $2-3 shipped? And does that $2-3 average include new release 2 disc SDs and a couple BluRays?

That'sAllFolks
03-24-08, 01:46 PM
Where on ebay do you find titles for $2-3 shipped? And does that $2-3 average include new release 2 disc SDs and a couple BluRays?

If you look at Half and Amazon Marketplace, you can get some great deals. Of course, sometimes the stock fluxuates and they disappear or change price.

Superman Returns 2D -- 3.86 shipped.

Spiderman 2 Collectors set .. 6.86 shipped.

Hulk movies 2D -- 3.88 shipped.

Punk'd season 2 -- 4.42 shipped

Northern Exposure season 1 -- 6.87 shipped.

Also, there are alot of A&E titles floating around for next to nothing on eBay.

Ellen season 1
Best of Monty Python
Saint mega set

I got Rumple and Baily for less than 10.00/set. (not mega-set, but volumes)

A big YMMV, but always worth a shot.

riotinmyskull
03-24-08, 02:03 PM
not sure about the rest of you guys but i rather pay $5 shipped for NEW dvds than $4-$7 shipped for USED dvds.

dadaluholla
03-24-08, 02:13 PM
Yeah, and you don't get FUNCASH (!!!) with used dvds on eBay. It's all about the Funcash.
;)

Trevor
03-24-08, 02:27 PM
If you look at Half and Amazon Marketplace, you can get some great deals. Of course, sometimes the stock fluxuates and they disappear or change price.

Superman Returns 2D -- 3.86 shipped.

Spiderman 2 Collectors set .. 6.86 shipped.

Hulk movies 2D -- 3.88 shipped.

Punk'd season 2 -- 4.42 shipped

Northern Exposure season 1 -- 6.87 shipped.

Also, there are alot of A&E titles floating around for next to nothing on eBay.

Ellen season 1
Best of Monty Python
Saint mega set

I got Rumple and Baily for less than 10.00/set. (not mega-set, but volumes)

A big YMMV, but always worth a shot.

True, some really good deals are outside of CH. But few and far between compared to getting every new release brand new for less than $5.

I still think iconoclasm's post is complete bunk, no offense iconoclasm.

SterlingBen
03-24-08, 03:27 PM
not sure about the rest of you guys but i rather pay $5 shipped for NEW dvds than $4-$7 shipped for USED dvds.
Seconded

chris_sc77
03-24-08, 09:47 PM
Looks like one of the best perks of "The Party" has been exposed and now no longer is part of the Club...:
Viva Pedro: The Almodovar Collection is no longer going to be able to be a great fulfillment title (or just bargain purchase any way you could get it) because the price has went from the low $20's to a $70.77 list price. Surprised they caught on after all this time. At least I got a copy after first joining the club last August.

bloopbleep
03-25-08, 09:12 AM
Looks like one of the best perks of "The Party" has been exposed and now no longer is part of the Club...:
Viva Pedro: The Almodovar Collection is no longer going to be able to be a great fulfillment title (or just bargain purchase any way you could get it) because the price has went from the low $20's to a $70.77 list price. Surprised they caught on after all this time. At least I got a copy after first joining the club last August.
was great I was surprised at how long that one lasted. anything as good as this?

Darth Maher
03-25-08, 12:23 PM
I'll probably wait until you can select Blu-ray discs as part of your enrollment package to join.

Anyone wanna guess as to when that may happen?

lizard
03-25-08, 12:34 PM
WRT to eBay, Half.com, Amazon Marketplace, the local pawn shop, et al, yes, one can find good deals there, especially on older titles. Columbia House is good for those building collections. The large catalog of 8000 titles plus the ready availability of newer releases makes it a good place for one stop shopping for most mainstream DVDs, other than Disney titles. The downside is the complexity of optimizing accounts and dealing with the CH quirks, but it is the purpose of this forum to help with that using our collective efforts.

If one just needs a few specific titles, shopping eBay and the like is a viable option. But it takes a lot of work to keep track of titles on such sites because one has to visit them over and over to locate the best deal. That's fine for a handful of titles, but hard to do for dozens.

I'm certainly grateful for Half.com and Amazon Marketplace, because that's where I sell my unwanted DVDs, often at a substantial profit. I recently sold the Homicide megaset on Amazon Marketplace. The buyer was happy because she got a much better deal than the going price for that OOP set; I was happy because I made a nice profit of $37, after spending months watching the 100+ hours of the show (which I had purchased for a bargain price during a DDD 20% off sale). Works for me.

lizard
03-25-08, 01:33 PM
I'll probably wait until you can select Blu-ray discs as part of your enrollment package to join.

Anyone wanna guess as to when that may happen?When will BD become mainstream?

My guess is that Columbia House will develop a Blu-ray Disc club sometime next year but that the enrollment deals won't be as good as those with the regular club. Perhaps something more like the TV Edition of the DVD club.

starman9000
03-25-08, 02:54 PM
Yeah, half/amazon are great, but CH is just so easy once you know what to do.

I just got my DVD's are on the way email, so that's good. (though it looks like I got the fullscreen version of the Simpsons :(

thejester
03-25-08, 11:17 PM
Well, if the code I found (which doesn't work yet) is any indicator(based on detail info), I'd say it was going to get a little better.

Time to start a few new accounts before it kicks in. :)

dadaluholla
03-25-08, 11:23 PM
Well, if the code I found (which doesn't work yet) is any indicator(based on detail info), I'd say it was going to get a little better.

:eek:
Ok, I was about to place an order but now I'm holding off...
:p

riotinmyskull
03-26-08, 12:06 AM

what is it????

Sweet Baby James
03-26-08, 02:34 AM

Time to start a few new accounts before it kicks in. :)You're such a code tease!

mnementh
03-26-08, 06:13 AM
Viva Pedro: The Almodovar Collection is no longer going to be able to be a great fulfillment title (or just bargain purchase any way you could get it) because the price has went from the low $20's to a $70.77 list price.

Why is it listed as a pre-order?

lizard
03-26-08, 11:01 AM
Why is it listed as a pre-order?In the process of correcting the old pricing mistake with the Viva Pedro set, Columbia House has re-listed it with a new catalog number. They often place new listings as pre-orders, regardless of how long the discs have actually been available elsewhere. We have seen this frequently with HD titles as well as with some of the Fox titles when they first added them.

In short: it is CH SOP. It doesn't mean that this set is different in any way from the previous listing.

avoiceoreason
03-26-08, 01:15 PM

Oh c'mon now. That's just mean!

Please do tell! (pretty please?)

I need to know whether open a second account or not!

thejester
03-26-08, 02:25 PM
Here is the "detail info" on that code - just remember, it doesn't work AT ALL yet -

Get 4 Free DVDs, when you buy 1 at regular Club price!

Get 4 FREE DVDs when you buy 1 at regular Club price of $19.95 of higher. A shipping and processing charge will be added to each selection.

You must purchase a DVD at the regular Club price of $19.95 or higher in order to take a DVD of equal or lower for FREE. Some exceptions apply.

Your Director’s Selection, Upcoming Releases, Sets, High-definition DVDs and other select titles are not eligible to be taken as a free selection. Standard shipping and processing charges apply to FREE DVDs. FREE DVDs do not earn FunCash™ Dollars.

Hurry, Offer Ends April 11, 2008 at 11:59pm EST!

Sets at 40% Off, No other purchase necessary!

All it shows is asterisks for prices. I'm not even sure if the detail info will eventually match what shows in the basket or not??? Hopefully, it will.

Only account type I can't test in is CH.com, as I don't have one.

dadaluholla
03-26-08, 02:36 PM
Oh my lord.

:jawdrop:

Trevor
03-26-08, 02:36 PM
Wouldn't that be 5 DVDs for about $30? Doesn't seem very good.

Edit: Misread the earlier posts. I thought this was a possible new standard deal. But as a fulfillment code, it is pretty good. Not jaw dropping, but it does lower the per disc fulfilled account average 50 cents or so.

riotinmyskull
03-26-08, 03:34 PM
uhm, i have 2 accounts that i need to fulfill so lets get this damn thing working CH!

smashthesymbols
03-26-08, 06:02 PM
Yikes, buy 1 get 4 free? Time to cancel one of these fulfilled accounts and get a new one open in case that actually happens.

Trevor
03-26-08, 06:47 PM
Yikes, buy 1 get 4 free? Time to cancel one of these fulfilled accounts and get a new one open in case that actually happens.

It's not as good as it sounds. Once you factor in the s&h on all 5 selections, it only saves about 50 cents per title.

riotinmyskull
03-26-08, 07:08 PM
It's not as good as it sounds. Once you factor in the s&h on all 5 selections, it only saves about 50 cents per title.

yeah, you save $.50 per title and you get 17 titles from one account. that's a good deal my friend.

Brent L
03-26-08, 08:45 PM
Only account type I can't test in is CH.com, as I don't have one.

There's a way to use codes on CH.com again? I thought they totally took that option away.

smashthesymbols
03-26-08, 11:32 PM
yeah, you save $.50 per title and you get 17 titles from one account. that's a good deal my friend.
The way I'm looking at it you're getting 17 titles for $74.69 (this assumes that you can only do one B1G4 per order, if you can do two at once it saves a bit) instead of 11 for $52.79. So your average is dropping from $4.80 to $4.39. Or to look at it another way, you're paying the usual $4.80 each for the first 11 titles, then spending an extra $21.90 ($3.65 each) for six extra titles. Of course, there's also the added benefit of getting more titles per account, which saves you some hassle with less canceling and rejoining. Every two accounts would equal three under the usual method. Really there's no way it's not a good deal.

Of course, all this assumes the code ever actually becomes active and that we see them come around regularly. It could never happen, or it could only happen this one time.

DVDMagic
03-27-08, 06:38 AM
Now, does this 17 for $74.XX include the initial enrollment?

Sorry, but it's early in the morning and I'm trying to get my brain around the actual deal. Either way, it's a pretty damn good deal.

Just closed out a couple of accounts, so should I go ahead and get 1 open now, or like I said above does the final total include the initial enrollment, and therefore I should wait til the code becomes "active" before opening an account?

Or is it a simple case of wait and see. Either way, I'm off to see what gets released by 11th April to see what can be included.

riotinmyskull
03-27-08, 07:10 AM
Now, does this 17 for $74.XX include the initial enrollment?

yes that includes your enrollment selections so it would be best to go ahead and get an account open. but remember there is no guarantee that this code will actually become active and work properly but more than likely i'm betting it will.

Trevor
03-27-08, 07:49 AM
I never said it wasn't a good deal, it just isn't the jawdropping great deal that some seemed to think.

It saves 41 cents per title. Sure, use it if you have an open account to fulfill, but it isn't something to wake the neighbors over.

dadaluholla
03-27-08, 09:10 AM
I never said it wasn't a good deal, it just isn't the jawdropping great deal that some seemed to think.

Since I was the one who originally posted the jawdropping head in regards to this possible offer, I will have to apologize for my standards of a "good deal" not living up to yours.
:jawdrop:

Trevor
03-27-08, 09:20 AM
Since I was the one who originally posted the jawdropping head in regards to this possible offer, I will have to apologize for my standards of a "good deal" not living up to yours.

Sorry for making a mountain out of a molehill here, your standards are fine. I was just initially hoping that it was amazing like all of you, but I'm just getting old and hard to please I guess. :) It's a good deal and I'll certinly use it each time it's available.

dadaluholla
03-27-08, 09:25 AM
Trev, I'm just grouchy in the morning.
:wacko:

It's definitely not like a "crack the internet in half" kind of deal, but if I can get 5 new or recent releases for around $30 bucks, I'm thinking that's pretty sweet. I don't cycle as much as some do though.

BobO'Link
03-27-08, 01:22 PM
^Plus it's good for those who have trouble getting new accounts opened. While the average pricing is not as good as an optimized account it's almost as good as the WM dump bin/rack and the selection is better. :)

avoiceoreason
03-27-08, 02:33 PM
Now if they happen to run this at the same time as the recent free shipping on orders over $50, now that. . . that would be pretty nice.

I think I am going to have to go ahead and open up another account just in case for this one.

thejester
03-27-08, 10:19 PM
Check my post in offer thread!!!!!