Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What's the buzz on "The Riches"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the buzz on "The Riches"

I'm pretty burnt out on the reality shows, and need a new drama to excite. What's the word on this show? I really have enjoyed Minnie Driver on talk shows, I find her personable with a great sense of humor. Anyone watching this?
Old 03-18-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Thread from a few days ago (still on the front page )

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=527288

FX had a good batch of (new) shows last season.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-18-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Thread from a few days ago (still on the front page )

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=527288

FX had a good batch of (new) shows last season.
Yeah, must have missed the thread, maybe this can be deleted or combined.

The buzz is encouraging...gonna check it out.
Old 03-18-08, 12:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I watched the 1st 4 episodes of S1, but quit... I really, really wanted to like it, but I just didn't.
Old 03-18-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I watched the 1st 4 episodes of S1, but quit... I really, really wanted to like it, but I just didn't.
Same here.

FX shows are a bit dark for my tastes. I prefer the shows where the characters are basically good, but do out of character screwed up things. FX seems to be about screwed up characters doing screwed up things to other screwed up characters (especially Dirt).
Old 03-18-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds interesting, I've been meaning to check this series out and may do that now.

Damages had a similar - shady characters doing shady things to shady people, though Byrne's character is essentially good.
Old 03-18-08, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre
Same here.

FX shows are a bit dark for my tastes. I prefer the shows where the characters are basically good, but do out of character screwed up things. FX seems to be about screwed up characters doing screwed up things to other screwed up characters (especially Dirt).
Hmmm, that makes me think. I HATED Dirt. Watched the first 2 episodes, and was appalled by it.
Old 03-18-08, 01:09 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

THE RICHES is a great show. It made me love an actress (Minnie Driver) that I previously couldn't stand. Each week you're sure the jig is up, but like good magicians the title family manage to keep the scam going.

(And don't believe the hate on DIRT. The first season was one of last year's best ... and naughtiest ... and funniest ... and most inventive shows. It had a season long plot that paid off with some terrific reveals by the end -- so viewers who didn't get into it missed all that. So far this year they've followed the headlines more closely, but it's still pretty good.)
Old 03-18-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Hmmm, that makes me think. I HATED Dirt. Watched the first 2 episodes, and was appalled by it.
If you don't mind a couple commercial breaks (they're short) or watching it on a computer, the entire first season is up on Hulu, direct links for the first 5 eps below:

Season 1 Episode 1 - "Pilot"
Season 1 Episode 2 - "Believe the Lie"
Season 1 Episode 3 - "Operation Education"
Season 1 Episode 4 - "Been There, Done That"
Season 1 Episode 5 - "The Big Floss"

I've been pimping Hulu way too much this year
Old 03-18-08, 01:30 PM

If you don't mind a couple commercial breaks (they're short) or watching it on a computer, the entire first season is up on Hulu, direct links for the first 5 eps below:

Season 1 Episode 1 - "Pilot"
Season 1 Episode 2 - "Believe the Lie"
Season 1 Episode 3 - "Operation Education"
Season 1 Episode 4 - "Been There, Done That"
Season 1 Episode 5 - "The Big Floss"

I've been pimping Hulu way too much this year
Wait, the first season was only 5 episodes?
Old 03-18-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Naw that was the first 5 eps, the full season is 13 eps.
Old 03-18-08, 01:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I watched the first 3/4 of season 1 then had something come up where I had to record it and I never felt the need to watch the rest of the season. Driver and Izzard are both good, I just didn't find it very interesting.
Old 03-18-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Naw that was the first 5 eps, the full season is 13 eps.
And I actually just watched episode 4 and had no commercials. I don't understand how hulu works. When I tried to watch episode 3 at home I got commercials but not at work.
Old 03-18-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I just started watching this show tonight, picked it up (S1) for $20 from Target.

I watched about 4 episodes and I really enjoy it, but I have to say the Pilot episode left a sour taste in my mouth. The show picks up in ep 2 and on but the first episode is just too self serious and tries too hard to establish the plotlines.

That aside, it reminds me a bit of Big Love. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 04-01-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there no love for the show anymore, i noticed there isn't a weekly thread for new episodes or at least a new season thread. So far the 2nd season is doing great. It is a show that really doesn't take off for 3 to 4 episodes but still a good start in my opinion.
Old 04-01-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That aside, it reminds me a bit of Big Love.
That's getting me more interested.

I love (and strongly relate) to shows about "being in the closet" so to speak-- shows about hiding the truth from the world, what that does to people or families, how they cope... This sounds like it could be a more *fun* riff on the same themes.

I think this'll be a show I love, I just haven't worried about starting it any time soon. I may have to wait for it, I've got a backlog these days!

Last edited by adamblast; 04-01-08 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 02:34 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another good episode. Cal was a little whiny ... until I remembered teens are always embarassed by their parents. Looks like we'll see more of the wider group of travellers this season. A question -- were they identified as being Irish last year? I don't remember they were.
Old 04-02-08, 03:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm definitely pleased with how the second season has kicked off -- underrated show.
Old 04-03-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
Another good episode. Cal was a little whiny ... until I remembered teens are always embarassed by their parents. Looks like we'll see more of the wider group of travellers this season. A question -- were they identified as being Irish last year? I don't remember they were.
I always thought of Travellers as being Irish, as opposed to the Romany.
Old 04-03-08, 12:09 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I had remembered SNATCH, I would have too. Thanks.
Old 04-03-08, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I'm definitely pleased with how the second season has kicked off -- underrated show.
I agree, the second season has been riveting. I didn't think the writers could make the show even more chaotic for the Malloys, but they have. Now Dale is entrenched in Eden Falls, and that guy Quinn will definitely play a villainous role in the future. It'll be interesting to see if the rest of the Travellers from this past episode will also close in on Wayne and the family.

I'm telling my friends to watch, because I want this picked up for another season, with a full slate of episodes. Feel free to help me out. :P
Old 04-16-08, 12:25 PM

this is a great show. i started watching it this week on hulu and i love it its starts to get a little boring the last few episodes of season 1 but picks up for the finally. im on season 2 now and it is great so far. great acting too. im not a fan of eddie izzard stand up but he is awesome on the show. also minnie driver
Old 04-16-08, 01:09 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This season, more so than last, has been fantastic. s1 started to burn out near the end, but everything has balanced out so far. This season has been more compelling and some things don't feel forced.

Hopefully a 3rd season is on the way (season finale is coming up in 2 weeks).
Old 04-16-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can find a friend who wants it, you can get 2 sets of The Riches - Season 1 for $22.99 ($11.50 a set) at AMAZON right now.
Old 04-16-08, 01:33 PM

Yeah, there better be a third season! I'm getting all my friends hooked on it to boost the ratings, because I feel like the story is building up wonderfully.

*possible SPOILERS*

It looks like Hugh is running for mayor, which is fantastic. Wayne might need a friend in a high place later on, and he's always been there for Hugh. I'm also glad to see Dale contributing. That scene where they steal back the towel was classic. I know Dale is just out for himself, but as long as his interests are aligned with Wayne's, I think he can be a good guy to have around.

Quinn on the other hand ... I have a bad feeling that he's going to do something bad to Cael.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.