Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just bought a projector. Some stupid questions.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these is a really stupid questions, but I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. I just bought a projector (Canon Realis SX50) and hooked up my Playstation 3 to it. I have 2 questions.

1. I hooked it up using an HDMI cable (via a DVI adapter) and all I get is a black screen. When I hook it up with the regular video in (yellow cable) it works fine. I even set the playstation to output using HDMI but still all I get is a black screen. Also, when I connect my DVD player to the projector using hdmi, it works for a few seconds then I get an error message saying "HDCP is not supported, then it stops working. What could I be doing wrong.

2. How do I get sound out of this thing?? I was playing the playstation (through the reglar video in) but had no sound. Whats the CHEAPEST way to be able to hear the sound of the Playstation? I can't figure out what I need!

Thanks for your help guys, and please don't laugh at me.

Last edited by firteen88; 03-18-08 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-18-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You are not doing anything wrong with the video, the projector does not support HDCP. You will need to use the HDMI port

Furthermore, the SX50 has a DVI input, but lacks the HDCP chip which has become standard on new DVI-enabled home theater units these days. That means you may not be able to feed copy-protected HD material into the DVI port.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/canon_realis_sx50.htm

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archi.../t-164402.html

To get sound you would connect the PS3 or the dvd player to your receiver.
Old 03-18-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info Brian. Not what I wanted to hear but it's good to know there's nothing I'm doing wrong.
For sound, what if I don't have a receiver. Can I just connect a crappy stereo to it somehow to get sound? As long as I can hear it i'm fine with that.
Old 03-18-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by firteen88
Thanks for the info Brian. Not what I wanted to hear but it's good to know there's nothing I'm doing wrong.
For sound, what if I don't have a receiver. Can I just connect a crappy stereo to it somehow to get sound? As long as I can hear it i'm fine with that.
Well that would depend on what type of "crappy stereo" you have. You will have to see what outputs you have on the back of each device and see if they can be connected to the "crappy stereo".

Please don't take this the wrong way but IMHO audio is just as important as video. You are missing alot by not having an audio system to go with the projector. Even a home-theater-in-a-box would be a huge step up for you.
Old 03-18-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trust me Brian, I know audio is important. Right now I'm currently using the projector with my PS3 in my bedroom but it won't stay there for long, so i'm just looking for a temporary way to get sound (so I can hear the people killing me in Call of Duty 4) for the next month or so. Can I use any stereo with the red and white outputs?

Also, when I do connect the projector in my living room. I want to connect EVERYTHING (cable box, PS3, etc..) to my receiver and then connect the receiver to the projector. Now with the receiver I have, I can connect all to the receiver and then just one HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV. I guess I won't be able to do this with the projector right? Since the projector only has so many inputs (1 video, 1 s-video, vgi) how can I connect everything as I would with my TV?

By the way, thanks for your help with this.
Old 03-18-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Trust me Brian, I know audio is important. Right now I'm currently using the projector with my PS3 in my bedroom but it won't stay there for long, so i'm just looking for a temporary way to get sound (so I can hear the people killing me in Call of Duty 4) for the next month or so. Can I use any stereo with the red and white outputs?

Also, when I do connect the projector in my living room. I want to connect EVERYTHING (cable box, PS3, etc..) to my receiver and then connect the receiver to the projector. Now with the receiver I have, I can connect all to the receiver and then just one HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV. I guess I won't be able to do this with the projector right? Since the projector only has so many inputs (1 video, 1 s-video, vgi) how can I connect everything as I would with my TV?

You should still be able to do it, because most receivers these days will convert composite and s-video to component. You would just connect a component cable to the projector.
Old 03-18-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am unsure about the audio options. As I said you would have to look on the back of the PS3 and the DVD player to see what kind of audio output they have. I would be suprised however, if they had red/white composite. More than likely they will be coax, fiber optic or part of the hdmi.

As for the connections you may be able to connect the receiver to the projector with a single hdmi, if you are able to connect all your sources to the receiver. Otherwise you may need an hdmi switchbox.
Old 03-18-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should still be able to do it, because most receivers these days will convert composite and s-video to component. You would just connect a component cable to the projector.
So your saying I can hook up everything to the receiver using HDMi and then run one component wire from the receiver to the projector? That will work?
Old 03-18-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the connections you may be able to connect the receiver to the projector with a single hdmi, if you are able to connect all your sources to the receiver. Otherwise you may need an hdmi switchbox.
I CAN connect all my sources to the receiver, but if the projector does not support HDCP, how can I connect an HDMI wire from the receiver to the projector?
Old 03-18-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I meant to not use HDMI at all. The receiver will not convert HDMI video to component. Just use component instead of HDMI, since the projector doesn't have an HDMI input. You'll have to connect each video and audio source separately to the receiver, but you only need a single component cable to the projector.

The PS3 has a stereo analog audio out and an optical out. You'll want to use the optical out for that and probably the other sources as well, if they have it. For Nintendo's consoles you'll have to use stereo analog audio.
Old 03-18-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I meant to not use HDMI at all. The receiver will not convert HDMI video to component. Just use component instead of HDMI, since the projector doesn't have an HDMI input. You'll have to connect each video and audio source separately to the receiver, but you only need a single component cable to the projector.

The PS3 has a stereo analog audio out and an optical out. You'll want to use the optical out for that and probably the other sources as well, if they have it. For Nintendo's consoles you'll have to use stereo analog audio.
Got ya, I thought it would only work If i connected one single HDMI wire. Didn't realise you can do the sme with 1 component cable. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One more question....I understand why the movies don't work when connected using HDMI because they're copy protected, but why wouldn't the PS3 work? Not even the menu shows up, justa black screen.
Old 03-18-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One more question....I understand why the movies don't work when connected using HDMI because they're copy protected, but why wouldn't the PS3 work? Not even the menu shows up, justa black screen.
I am not an expert on the mechanics of this, perhaps Spiky will chime in. I believe it is because the HDCP handshake is not being completed between the devices.
Old 03-18-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brian,

I was looking at your home theater pictures. Did you have the installation professionaly done? What kind of projector is that? Where'd you get wires long enough to go from the projector to the components? Where'd you get the screen? How much did the installation cost? That's one beautiful room!! I wish I didn't see those pics, now I need to do that!
Old 03-18-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brian,

I was looking at your home theater pictures. Did you have the installation professionaly done? What kind of projector is that? Where'd you get wires long enough to go from the projector to the components? Where'd you get the screen? How much did the installation cost? That's one beautiful room!! I wish I didn't see those pics, now I need to do that!
Thank you very much

My theater is coming up on 5 years old (June 2003). I should really take more pictures as we have done more to it. Here are the answers to your questions.

I was lucky that I had an unfinished basement to work with, so my theater is 19' deep by 15' wide with a ceiling height of 8.5'. Since the room was built to my design, I was able to (with the help of my brother-in-law) run conduit for all the cables I needed. The room was built by a contractor and finished through drywall sanding. I did the painting, equipment install and decorating.

The projector is a Sharp XVZ10000U dlp projector, the screen is a custom sized 100" Dalite HCCV screen with pro trim. The equipment rack is close to the projector and the longest cable I believe is only 15' long. The cables I ordered came from a variety of sources, www.bettercables.com and www.monoprice.com being the two biggest suppliers. In-wall Monster cable CL3 12gauge was run through conduit to get to the speakers and subwoofer. We used approximately 200' of speaker cable.

I don't have a figure for the installation cost since I did that myself with help from my brother-in-law. There was a cost to build out my entire basement so this took about half of that cost. Then we had to account for paint, lighting, furnishings and equipment.

I spent a year planning and 6 months designing. The construction took 4 months from the first stud until the day the projector was turned on for the first time.

In addition to 2 dvd players and a dvd recorder, I also have Direct TV HD and a home theater pc connected to my projector. I am patiently waiting for the new crop of Blu-ray players to hit the market.

Thanks again for the compliments.
Old 03-18-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
It has been a while since I hooked up my PS3 to my PJ, but if I recall the only option was optical (or maybe coaxial). It doesn't have an analog audio out. I believe that is correct. But if your receiver is new enough to have HDMI it has optical/coaxial audio inputs.

My set has the video of my PS3 to a video switcher (HDMI) and optical audio to my receiver. I have my HD cable box and HD DVD player also going to the switcher via HDMI for video, and for each optical or coaxial for audio to receiver. Then I have one wire (HDMI) from the switcher to the my PJ.

You could do basically the same thing using your receiver as a switcher only out putting everything via component if your PJ doesn't support HDMI.
Old 03-18-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PS3 has only optical output.
Old 03-18-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My set has the video of my PS3 to a video switcher (HDMI) and optical audio to my receiver. I have my HD cable box and HD DVD player also going to the switcher via HDMI for video, and for each optical or coaxial for audio to receiver. Then I have one wire (HDMI) from the switcher to the my PJ. [I]

Doesn't HDMI do both video and audio? Why did you need the extra optical/coaxil cables for audio?

Last edited by firteen88; 03-18-08 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My set has the video of my PS3 to a video switcher (HDMI) and optical audio to my receiver. I have my HD cable box and HD DVD player also going to the switcher via HDMI for video, and for each optical or coaxial for audio to receiver. Then I have one wire (HDMI) from the switcher to the my PJ. [I]

Doesn't HDMI do both video and audio? Why did you need the extra optical/coaxil cables for audio?
I take it his receiver does not have HDMI inputs.
Old 03-18-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ahhhh, got ya. This stuff is so confusing!!
Old 03-18-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
The Component video A/V cable that you will have to get for the PS3 includes Red and White RCA audio out cables as well. For your temporary bedroom solution, you could consider running the RCA audio into this little amp (might require a simple RCA to 3.5mm stereo adapter - don't know if it's included) with a decent pair of bookshelf speakers.
Old 03-18-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This system

Will that work as well, since it has the red/white inputs on the front?
Old 03-18-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I take it his receiver does not have HDMI inputs.
That would be correct. My receiver is a several year old H/K that sounds excellent. I see no reason to change at this point. Yea, I know to gt the newest audio fomats for the PS3 I need to, but when I upgrade my speakers, then I'll think about it.
Old 03-19-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the black screen problem, it could also be a standard sync problem. I don't have a PS3, so no experience. I thought I had seen that people could plug it into their DVI, non-HDCP computer monitors, but not sure. If that does work, then it could just not be communicating and agreeing on a resolution.

Projector Central says this PJ has a weird resolution, 1400x1050. I've really never read about Canon's, they haven't been common for HT use.

I don't know if there are other ways around this, but there is a device that can help this problem, called the DVI Detective. If they are still for sale.
Old 03-19-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The resolution of the projector shouldn't matter as long as it can accept the video input, which it can up to 1080i. Of course, it won't use all the pixels. One thing you can try is to set the HDMI resolutions manually. Maybe it's trying to send a 1080p signal; make sure that 1080i is checked and 1080p is not checked in the list of resolutions.

I think it could be the copy protection though. I read a while back that games use it, but I don't know if that extends to the XMB or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.