Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why is this allowed in the HD forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to mention names, so that it doesn't seem like I am attacking anyone....

...but there is a particular poster who seems to cause a TON of arguments in that forum. He always gets into heated debates with others, and is called out on it routinely. Many of the threads in which he instigates these arguments wind up closed.

So what, you ask? Well, this poster is a reviewer for DVDTalk.

In my opinion, he completely lacks professionalism in the way he interacts with others on the forum. Yes, this isn't a paid website, and we're not customers. Still, you would think DVDTalk would want its staff to represent it with better etiquette and professionalism than this individual does.

Is this being looked at? Are reviewers not considered staff members? Are they allowed free reign, or are they held to a higher standard (as I would think they should be) than normal posters?
Old 03-12-08, 02:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All posts and posters that start arguments in the HD Forum are looked at by the mods, regardless of their status on the DVD Talk staff. As for higher standards for reviewers versus other members, well, there's no set criteria. We don't give reviewers extra leeway, but they should be allowed to speak their mind as freely and openly as any member of the forums.
Old 03-12-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I wondered this same thing two years ago. I opted to stay out of that forum.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 03-12-08 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
People have been asking for months why Pro-B hasn't been disciplined for his actions. Truth be told, the mods have done a very nice job in a very difficult forum.
Old 03-12-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
People have been asking for months why Pro-B hasn't been disciplined for his actions. Truth be told, the mods have done a very nice job in a very difficult forum.

The only thing that bugs me is that he thinks your opinion doesn't matter and his is the only "right" one.
Old 03-12-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nateman

The only thing that bugs me is that he thinks your opinion doesn't matter and his is the only "right" one.
If that's the only thing that bothers you than you are a more tolerant man than I.

The block member function is there for a reason. It made my enjoyment of this board much better, and not just in HD forum. It's a very small list, but a very functional one.
Old 03-12-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And I'm not criticizing the mods at all, as I agree....they've done a good job. It's just that one individual that seems to get many 'second chances'.
Old 03-12-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with him. I listen to everyones opinions. There are others that are worse than he is...DVD Josh for one.
Old 03-12-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I have no problem with him. I listen to everyones opinions. There are others that are worse than he is...DVD Josh for one.
Old 03-12-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I wondered this same thing two years ago. I opted to stay out of that form.
The only reason I avoid that forum is because some members are so damn sensitive and combative.

poster 1: I'll wait for the blu-ray version.
poster 2: Nice threadcrap!
poster 3: Go somewhere else, blu boy!
poster 4: Mods, ban the troll.
poster 1: But HD-DVD is dead. There's no reason to...
poster 5: gasp! blasphemy!
poster 6: That is a lie!
poster 4: Mods, ban the troll.
Old 03-12-08, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are 2 posters on the opposite viewpoint of Pro B that are just as annoying if not more so than he is. Neither of which has posted in this thread yet. I will not name drop though.
Old 03-12-08, 03:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Not to piss anyone off, but in my opinion, Pro-B isn't that bad, far from the worst. Sure he gives opinions stated as fact, but who doesn't? And he is more civil about it than a few others.

But given my newness to that sub-forum (only been "reading it" for a few months), perhaps I missed the worst of it.
Old 03-12-08, 03:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This board has an ignore feature that is very handy. I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned it.
Old 03-12-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
This board has an ignore feature that is very handy. I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned it.
So, what exactly is the problem between you and DVD Josh?
Old 03-12-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is an ignore function you can use BTW, not many people seem to know about it. Not sure why it hasn't been mentioned in this thread.
Old 03-12-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
5/5.
Old 03-13-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
To some of you, it may look like certain members are getting more leeway than others. Because they are reviewers, because they've been here a long time, because they have umpteen-thousand posts, because they're friends with the moderators, etc. I assure you that none of that applies. What may apply is how they communicate with the moderators. We may be more understanding/lenient towards members who communicate well with us (respond well to warnings; explain their posts when we may have read them wrong; etc.) and less tolerant towards members that communicate poorly with us (we really don't have time to argue with members over e-mail).

Anyway, it is our policy to not discuss specific members in the forums, so closing thread ... okay, except for this one thing ... pro-B's suspension had absolutely nothing to do with this thread. So please don't get any ideas in the future about starting a thread like this in hopes of getting someone suspended.

If you have other questions (not something member-specific), please feel free to e-mail me.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums