Old 03-11-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be warned there are a ton of bootlegs out for this item
Old 03-11-08, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Be warned there are a ton of bootlegs out for this item
It looked like a reputable seller, so I ordered one.

How will I be able to determine if it's a bootleg? Also, wouldn't the seller get into trouble with amazon for selling bootlegs as 'new' on amazon marketplace?
Old 03-11-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How will I be able to determine if it's a bootleg?
It will be packaged different and probably not play as well. Bootleggers have been selling them in lots on ebay the past few months. Also price should be a good indicator. I wouldnt be surprised to see Amazon run a price like this, but not a 3rd party seller. I would expect if a 3rd party seller has a bunch of these new at that price, they are either bootlegs or stolen.

Also, wouldn't the seller get into trouble with amazon for selling bootlegs as 'new' on amazon marketplace
Amazons market place is just as bad as ebay. It is loaded with bootlegs. It is just harder to tell because you dont get the description like ebay. They also dont have to describe it in a way that you will know because their feedback system is not as big a deal to sellers as ebays.
Old 03-11-08, 09:12 PM

I just bought a copy of this on ebay for $20, I hope it's not a bootleg. Are there any detailed pictures of the packaging and discs somewhere so I can compare when I get mine?

The funny thing is, looking at the sellers feedback the only things he has ever sold are "Planet Earth" & "The Secret" which happen to be the two things that the amazon storefront linked to by the OP sells. Maybe the same seller?
Old 03-17-08, 03:51 PM

I got mine today. Is there any way to tell if it's a bootleg? Packaging looks normal, and the UPC is intact on the bottom. I haven't opened it yet.

It's shrinkwrapped, but not the standard DVD type shrinkwrap. Much tighter cellophane type, like the shrinkwrap on a box of crackers. Is that normal?
Old 03-17-08, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomwaits
I got mine today. Is there any way to tell if it's a bootleg? Packaging looks normal, and the UPC is intact on the bottom. I haven't opened it yet.

It's shrinkwrapped, but not the standard DVD type shrinkwrap. Much tighter cellophane type, like the shrinkwrap on a box of crackers. Is that normal?
Is that on a plastic sleave instead of standard amaray? Does it has a fold out board? Does it has foreign (non-english) writing anywhere on the cover art or discs? If any of that is true, it most likely a bootleg.

If possible, post a pic so that everyone can see it and know the difference.
Old 03-17-08, 09:59 PM

Blu-ray format for $49.95

After Bestbuy.com was asking $49.95 for PLANET EARTH on Blu-ray, Amazon matched their price.

The Amazon deal is sweet since shipping is free!

Just check out this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-C...5809178&sr=1-1
Old 03-17-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by tomwaits

Received mine in similar outer wrap. Box looks good but three of the locks to secure the DVDs in place were broken. Meaning there were 3 floaters, thankfully none of them scratched up. However, there's no way to hold them and they will continue to be floaters except it won't be in the stupid hands of the USPS.

Any suggestion as to take care of this ? Don't wanna go the return route with a marketplace seller. thanks in advance
Old 03-18-08, 12:06 PM

No floaters or broken hubs in my set, but 2 of my discs have a few light scratches like they may have been dislodged before. Maybe these sets were returned for floaters, had the discs reseated (if the hubs weren't broken) and the boxes reshrinked?

I looked at a retail box at Target, and the set that I got from this seller looks almost the same. The only differences are the different shrinkwrap and that my box doesn't say 'Made from recycled material ...' near the bottom on the back of the box.

There's no foreign text, the discs aren't region free, and there's no other obvious indication that it's a bootleg.
Old 03-18-08, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Received mine in similar outer wrap. Box looks good but three of the locks to secure the DVDs in place were broken. Meaning there were 3 floaters, thankfully none of them scratched up. However, there's no way to hold them and they will continue to be floaters except it won't be in the stupid hands of the USPS.

Any suggestion as to take care of this ? Don't wanna go the return route with a marketplace seller. thanks in advance
Buy yourself some self-stick adhesive disc hubs and fix it up yourself. I just fixed my X-Files CE Season 2 set last week with a clear hub.

Two places I could find online have different types, and colors. You can also get them at Walmart and possibly other b&m stores.

http://www.supermediastore.com/cd-hu...ots-black.html

http://www.demco.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWE...LK9297&STA0000

Why are you blaming the USPS, calling them stupid? The discs could have been damaged before they were even shipped, or it may have been packaged poorly.

Last edited by basaro; 03-18-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
^I've looked for such an item at WM but have not been successful in locating them. I've been looking in the area where they have the blank CD/DVDs. Of course, the "sales staff" is hoplessly clueless about such a thing.

Thanks for the links! If all else fails I'll use one of 'em.
Old 03-18-08, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin

Just fold up a piece of kleenex or get a piece of bubble wrap and put it in the case.
Old 03-18-08, 08:40 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by akolang2
Just fold up a piece of kleenex or get a piece of bubble wrap and put it in the case.
Good idea. thanks all for your suggestions
Old 03-19-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdirv
After Bestbuy.com was asking $49.95 for PLANET EARTH on Blu-ray, Amazon matched their price.

The Amazon deal is sweet since shipping is free!

Just check out this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-C...5809178&sr=1-1
Thanks for this! In for 1!
Old 03-20-08, 06:58 PM

Got my set today and there is nothing on the packaging that makes it seem to be a bootleg copy (ie, no asian writing). The discs definitely look legit.

My only concerns are the packaging. The quotes on the back of mine are from the Daily Mirror (London) & the Sunday Times (London). I went to look at the packaging at a local Walmart and the picture on the back seemed a bit different and the quotes were definitely different (one was from the NY Times, other I can't remember). The UPC is the same though.

I found This picture on Amazon that matches mine though.