Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Amsterdam (FOX) --- Series Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Amsterdam (FOX) --- Series Discussion

Fox stops production on 'Amsterdam'

I just love it when network execs spend millions on advertising and production without ever airing a single episode. Sunk costs, anybody?
Old 10-17-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haven't seen any advertising on that one
Old 10-17-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They were promoting it during the summer because it was orginally part of Fox's fall line-up. Then I think they decided to premiere it mid-season.

I am not surprised they would cancel production after 7 episodes. Most Fox series don't even make it that far anyway.
Old 10-17-07, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am not surprised they would cancel production after 7 episodes. Most Fox series don't even make it that far anyway.
Why spend the money and (as is most likely) not air any episodes? You've already spent the money, so you might as well air the episodes instead of spending even more money hoping its replacement will do better. I thought Fox was in the business of pleasing audiences, not pleasing its own executives. How does Fox know if the audience will hate it without airing it? If network executives are the real paying audience, they should stop broadcasting entirely.
Old 10-17-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't make sense at all, but Fox is notorious for starting a series and then yanking it after a couple of episodes. Usually the unaired episodes are left in the can never to see the light of day.

I would be surprised though if Fox never airs the show at all. They will likely schedule it into a crappy time slot in the off-season and then cancel it after a few airings.
Old 10-17-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Man, canceled before airing! Next they will have to cancel while in development.
Old 10-17-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
It sounds to me the show is having some creative problems and the network is not liking the current direction of the series. Plus, there isn't even a set timeslot (for midseason) for this yet and that's not a good sign either. At least the Sarah Connor Chronicles has now occupied the Monday at 8pm slot in January. Oh well, I was willing to give this a try, but if it never airs I won't really care.

Also, Peter Liguori was the one who green lighted this series before FOX hired Kevin Reilly to take over as FOX President. Maybe Reilly doesn't like the series and that's why he killed production.
Old 10-17-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Why spend the money and (as is most likely) not air any episodes? You've already spent the money, so you might as well air the episodes instead of spending even more money hoping its replacement will do better. I thought Fox was in the business of pleasing audiences, not pleasing its own executives. How does Fox know if the audience will hate it without airing it? If network executives are the real paying audience, they should stop broadcasting entirely.
You do realize you are trying to make sense out of what Fox executives do with their television programming, right?
Old 10-17-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

The Futon Critic reports the show order has indeed been cut to 7 episodes. The show is most likely DOA.
Old 10-17-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If airing something else will make them more money, then there's no reason to air this, even if it has already been produced.
Old 10-17-07, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
If airing something else will make them more money, then there's no reason to air this, even if it has already been produced.
How will they know it will make them more money? This question is impossible to answer without airing it! Ergo, anybody acting on this premise is insane.
Old 10-17-07, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, Peter Liguori was the one who green lighted this series before FOX hired Kevin Reilly to take over as FOX President. Maybe Reilly doesn't like the series and that's why he killed production.
That's very possible. Now if my boss told the owners that he cancelled a project, not because the customers said they won't buy it (the customers haven't even seen the finished product yet), but because he personally didn't like it, my boss would probably be canned in a heartbeat. As I said, is the purpose of a media business to satisfy its managers or its viewers? Perhaps Reilly is cleaning house just to clean house rather than because New Amsterdam is a bad show. It seems unlikely they'd have approved production if the pilot was terrible, and I'm sure they watch the finished episodes along the way.
Old 10-17-07, 03:33 PM

Could it have something to do with the fact that Moonlight is not doing very well?
Old 10-17-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Knock, knock.

--Who's there?

Amsterdam.

--Amsterdam Who?

Amsterdam sick of Fox cancelling shows!
Old 10-17-07, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Could it have something to do with the fact that Moonlight is not doing very well?
Sure it could. I would argue that was bad thinking, however. For example, if my new cop procedural was a dud, does that mean viewers don't want to watch cop procedurals? Hardly, they are perennially popular. Just because some other show with a supernatural premise goes bust doesn't mean mine will. Ghost Whisperer is still on the air, isn't it? Plus Moonlight is a vampire show, and as I recall the main character in NA is immortal but not a vampire.
Old 10-17-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
That's very possible. Now if my boss told the owners that he cancelled a project, not because the customers said they won't buy it (the customers haven't even seen the finished product yet), but because he personally didn't like it, my boss would probably be canned in a heartbeat. As I said, is the purpose of a media business to satisfy its managers or its viewers? Perhaps Reilly is cleaning house just to clean house rather than because New Amsterdam is a bad show. It seems unlikely they'd have approved production if the pilot was terrible, and I'm sure they watch the finished episodes along the way.
I think Reilly probably watched most of the completed episodes and probably thought the show stunk and that's why he canned the project before they wasted anymore money.
Old 10-18-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
So let me understand this, the guy responsible for revamping ABC and actually getting ratings (Lost, DH, Greys Anat, etc) for them is fired, but the monkeys at FOX keep plodding away.
Old 10-18-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cusm
So let me understand this, the guy responsible for revamping ABC and actually getting ratings (Lost, DH, Greys Anat, etc) for them is fired, but the monkeys at FOX keep plodding away.
Huh? Not sure if I understand your comment. But, Stephen McPherson is the man your talking about at ABC and he's still employed there. Reilly use to work at NBC.
Old 01-10-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
This was in our local paper today in an article about Shows that are coming on despite the strike:

“New Amsterdam” (sneak peek, 8 p.m. March 4 on Fox; time-slot premiere 8 p.m. March 10): John Amsterdam (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) is a New York homicide detective with a perk that might allow him to skip the bulletproof vest: He’s immortal.

Sorry if this is a repost. I checked the "strike" thread but it was too long to see if this has been mentioned.
Old 01-10-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It doesn't surprised me that FOX held this back. It's a similar premise to Moonlight.
Old 01-10-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I bet if they would change the title to "Old New York," people would just like it better that way.
Old 01-10-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It doesn't surprised me that FOX held this back. It's a similar premise to Moonlight.
Vampire and Immortal are two very different things - as they have killed vampires on Moonlight... plus Moonlight won the People's Choice Award for best new drama!

Originally Posted by Drexl
I bet if they would change the title to "Old New York," people would just like it better that way.
Groan....
Old 01-10-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

The fact that they cut this from 13 episodes to 7 is not a good sign.
Old 01-10-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Old 01-10-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Vampire and Immortal are two very different things - as they have killed vampires on Moonlight... plus Moonlight won the People's Choice Award for best new drama!
Hey man, you can kill immortals. Just ask all those Highlanders that lost their heads!

And they might be two different things, but in reality, the are the same - make believe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.