Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question about Roswell...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about Roswell...

I know this show was in trouble causing a massive Tabasco mail-in campaign that kept the show running. But does S3 manage to wrap things up?

I'm just now finishing S1 on DVD and want to know if it is worth following up with the remaining seasons.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
It wraps things up "ok." The show was certainly at its peak in Season 1. Season 2 is not a bad season, though they really shake things up by completely changing some characters' occupations, personalities, etc--all for the worse, imo.

Season 3 is the most lackluster. The problem is, they start forgetting the "rules" of the show. Suddenly each of the aliens have powers that weren't defined before, etc, just for the convenience of the plot.

But I'd say if you enjoyed season one, you'll appreciate season two, though wonder why they made the changes they did. You'll know by the end of season 2 if you want to continue to season 3. But if I remember correctly, it is wrapped up as best it can be given the creative licenses they took by the third season.
Old 03-07-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S2 is a little worse than S1. S3 is quite a bit worse.

I guess it all depends how much you love the characters or actors. I had a major thing for Jason Behr for a while there, and even I didn't bother with most of S3. It might seem a little better now, in retrospect, since Heigl has become a name.

Last edited by adamblast; 03-07-08 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-07-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed - the 2nd and 3rd season don't live up to the quality of that 1st season, but if you like the main characters at all, you'll still enjoy the entire run.
Old 03-08-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Agreed - the 2nd and 3rd season don't live up to the quality of that 1st season, but if you like the main characters at all, you'll still enjoy the entire run.
That was my main problem with S3. I got to the point where I loathed Max and Liz.
Old 03-08-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I typically explain it to people is that season 1 was the show when it was at its best. It was a romance story that usually took a backseat to the drama and suspense of being a teenage alien. It was a very well written/conceived show that always gave exactly the right amount to the viewer to keep them happy and coming back for more.

But the thing about ROSWELL was that it was originally suppose to be a FOX show, but the WB basically stole it from FOX offering a full 22-episode order without even seeing the pilot. And the ratings just weren't that amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the show would have only lasted 13-episodes had WB not given it a full-season order form the beginning. And towards the end of the season cancelation looked very possible. But then us pesky fans sent in all those Tobasco bottles and the Powers that Be gave the show another shot - but with some restrictions.

The WB wanted the second season to "be more x-filesy and less Dawson's Creek" and they wanted it to be more 'episode-of-the-week' rather than long storyarcs. What resulted is a season that consists of basically 6/7 storylines that each have 2-3 episodes and the show seems a lot like a comic book movie. The characters get a little over the top, and so do their adventures, but its still a very fun and enjoyable series.

But alas, at the end of season 2 the show was on the chopping block again and 20th Century Fox managed to save it by packaging it with BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER so that UPN had to pick it up. Now in its third season, ROSWELL was all over the map. The producers seemed like they were done with the high school storylines, but were still stuck with 18-year-old characters. It's still a good show, but it takes about 2/3 of the seasons to get back to the roots of the show.

The one good thing about the series is that they knew the end was coming. When the producers were outlining the final 7 episodes of the season, it was announced that their episode order was cut by 5, which means they had to squeeze 7 episodes worth of story into 2. And since the episode number was cut, they were pretty sure they wouldn't be returning in the fall. So they wrote the finale episode "Graduation" knowing it would conclude their series. And the episode does a very good job of it. Not EVERY storyline is wrapped up, actually some are left hanging pretty large. But the final 10 minutes it just so perfect that the ending feels right. I personally think ROSWELL rivals SIX FEET UNDER in how good its final episode is.