dx23
03-01-08, 10:02 AM
From dvdactive.com:

Title: Xanadu (IMDb)
Starring: Olivia Newton-John
Released: 24th June 2008
SRP: $19.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced Xanadu which stars Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly. The Robert Greenwald directed musical will be available to own from the 24th June, and should retail at around $19.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include a Going Back to Xanadu featurette, and the theatrical trailer. A bonus CD containing the complete soundtrack will also be included. Stay tuned for the artwork.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/xanadu.html

TomOpus
03-01-08, 11:44 AM
I know some don't like the term "guilty pleasure" but this is one of them. It'll be great to finally hear the ELO songs in 5.1.

Lt Ripley
03-01-08, 03:48 PM
It'll be great to finally hear the ELO songs in 5.1.
QFT!!!!!

Drexl
03-01-08, 04:26 PM
This should be Universal's first Blu-ray Disc release.

Okay, no it should not, but wouldn't that be funny if it was, as a joke to all the hardcore BD supporters who were hounding them to switch?

nothingfails
03-01-08, 06:03 PM
already have the original DVD as well as the soundtrack cd, I'll pass

Subgeniusguy
03-01-08, 07:07 PM
already have the original DVD as well as the soundtrack cd, I'll pass

I have the original DVD too, but it sorely needs remastering. I will buy this if they improve the transfer especially if it is Blu Ray.

SI78
03-01-08, 07:11 PM
I have no qualms admitting I love this craptastic movie. But I also know that there are tons of features that could be on a special edition DVD. The 'Making Xanadu' special, the tons of deleted and alternate scenes. Music videos, live performances, etc.

I'm pretty disappointed. Still, I'll probably buy it as I lost my copy of the soundtrack a couple of years ago.

For fun, here's an alternate version of Suspended In Time cut from the movie.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sreaNWXk7wk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sreaNWXk7wk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Double_Oh_7
03-01-08, 07:33 PM
Believe it or not, I still have this soundtrack on VINYL. A must-have for anyone who grew up in the 80's.

djskyler
03-01-08, 08:44 PM
There are some songs from the film that were only released on 45rpm b-sides. I wish they would consider including those on the bonus CD. :p

Numanoid
03-02-08, 12:26 AM
My fiancee and I were watching an ELO video from Xanadu this evening. She remarked, "That really is one of the worst movies ever made". I agreed, but we both knew that we liked it anyway. "Guilty Pleasure", indeed. Great soundtrack, and Gene Kelly and ONJ are both fantastic to watch. Bring it on.

Matthew Chmiel
03-02-08, 02:30 AM
As much as I love the film, I think it needs to be remade, especially if it's based off the vastly superior Broadway musical.

SI78
03-02-08, 03:15 AM
There are some songs from the film that were only released on 45rpm b-sides. I wish they would consider including those on the bonus CD. :p

That would be nice! I know 'Drum Dreams', 'Fool Country' and 'You Made Me Love You' were B-sides to the singles and there are demo versions of some of the songs floating around.

wm lopez
03-02-08, 08:51 AM
It's the 3 hit songs and watching lovely Olivia the only thing good in this movie.
I don't understand why this 1980 movie has a following and not CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC which is on the same level and year.

TomOpus
03-02-08, 09:55 AM
It's the 3 hit songs and watching lovely Olivia the only thing good in this movie. You also have Gene Kelly dancing (even skating) plus there's a Don Bluth animation sequence. Don't forget the other muses (even an early Sandahl Bergman) :)
I don't understand why this 1980 movie has a following and not CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC which is on the same level and year. They're not even close to being on the same level. Did we really need a thinly disguised movie about how the Village People started? Bruce Jenner?

cracksky
03-02-08, 10:49 AM
That would be nice! I know 'Drum Dreams', 'Fool Country' and 'You Made Me Love You' were B-sides to the singles and there are demo versions of some of the songs floating around.

Were any of those ELO tracks?

SI78
03-02-08, 11:40 AM
Drum Dreams is an ELO track.

Zen Peckinpah
03-02-08, 04:34 PM
Nick Nunziata's take on this movie from CHUD.com is absolutely hilarious. (http://chud.com/articles/articles/11250/1/CHUD039S-50-GUILTIEST-PLEASURES---DAY-TWENTY/Page1.html)

I haven't seen the movie, but the line about "packaging the DVD in a little closet" kills me and makes me want to see the movie out of morbid curiosity. I'll probably be horrified, but I have such a desire. Is it as ridiculous as it's made out to be?

wm lopez
03-02-08, 04:44 PM
You also have Gene Kelly dancing (even skating) plus there's a Don Bluth animation sequence. Don't forget the other muses (even an early Sandahl Bergman) :)
They're not even close to being on the same level. Did we really need a thinly disguised movie about how the Village People started? Bruce Jenner?

Valerie Perinne is hot in the movie and the musical numbers are good.
And you get to see what Bruce Jenner looks like before he went to Micheal Jackson's face doctor.

mickey65
03-02-08, 05:41 PM
And you get to see what Bruce Jenner looks like before he went to Micheal Jackson's face doctor...

...and ended up looking like a middle-aged lesbian!

cracksky
03-02-08, 11:07 PM
Drum Dreams is an ELO track.

Thanks!

Pizza
03-03-08, 07:23 AM
Drum Dreams is indeed an ELO track, but there's no Jeff Lynn vocal, just a chorus of folks repeatedly shouting "Xanadu" to a festive drum beat.
I was really hoping to see this on HD DVD. Oh, well. . .

Giles
03-03-08, 08:43 AM
so this version will have used a new cleaned up print as it's source ???

SI78
03-03-08, 11:57 AM
The movie has been running on Universal HD quite a bit lately, so I'd assume so.

Giles
03-03-08, 12:05 PM
The movie has been running on Universal HD quite a bit lately, so I'd assume so.

well, then there should be no reason why Universal wouldn't release this on bluray - (please).

FILMCZY
03-03-08, 12:44 PM
After watching "Xanadu" you'll never look at a pair of roller skates in quit the same way you did as a kid...

For a fun threesome, try watching this with "Can't Stop the Music" and "Sgt. Pepper"

D'oh!

Matthew Chmiel
03-03-08, 12:48 PM
well, then there should be no reason why Universal wouldn't release this on bluray - (please).
If Xanadu was released on BD, I'd buy it.

Giles
03-03-08, 12:50 PM
someone needs to release Skatetown, U.S.A. (1979)

Chrisedge
03-03-08, 01:14 PM
I worked at one of the first Planet Hollywood's as a Audio/Video DJ, and I was the only DJ that would play clips from this...Total guilty pleasure...

Giles
03-03-08, 01:17 PM
"All over the world, everybody got the word
Everybody everywhere is gonna feel tonight"

hand clap, foot stomp, hand clap.... twirl!

fargus
03-03-08, 01:37 PM
Believe it or not, I still have this soundtrack on VINYL. A must-have for anyone who grew up in the 80's.

Me too. Plus the laser disc. Yeah, the movie's a bit corny, but the music's pretty good and it's got a fair amount of eye candy, especially Olivia.

SI78
03-03-08, 01:43 PM
After watching "Xanadu" you'll never look at a pair of roller skates in quit the same way you did as a kid...

For a fun threesome, try watching this with "Can't Stop the Music" and "Sgt. Pepper"

D'oh!

I'm more of a Xanadu, Grease 2, Pirate Movie person myself.

Hehe.

cinephan
03-03-08, 03:27 PM

Hehe.

Now that's a movie night I could go for.

dullboy
03-03-08, 04:28 PM
What was the name of the song Olivia sang while in her tiger-print mini-skirt? It isn't on the soundtrack cd that I have. Hope they can include it here.

Rogue588
03-03-08, 04:48 PM

Hehe.:lol: I'd throw "Can't Stop the Music" and "the Wiz" in there.

And, yeah, Xanadu has been on UniHD, so :fc: for a BR release. However, the same could be said for "the Wiz", yet that wasn't released on BR. :(

SI78
03-03-08, 07:32 PM
What was the name of the song Olivia sang while in her tiger-print mini-skirt? It isn't on the soundtrack cd that I have. Hope they can include it here.

It's called 'Fool Country'. It was released as a B-side. It recently became available on CD for the first time on the recent Olivia Gold collection.

Drexl
03-03-08, 08:50 PM
And, yeah, Xanadu has been on UniHD, so :fc: for a BR release. However, the same could be said for "the Wiz", yet that wasn't released on BR. :(

Yes, there isn't really a correlation between something showing on TV in HD and being released on disc. Sure, there are examples when things did get released, but there are other titles that did not get released. All it really tells you is that they have an HD master, just like they do for many other movies.

dullboy
03-04-08, 09:53 AM
It's called 'Fool Country'. It was released as a B-side. It recently became available on CD for the first time on the recent Olivia Gold collection.
Is it a medley, like the way it played out in the movie with short parts of the other songs, or is each song fully realized?

Giles
03-05-08, 09:09 AM
even the final song 'Xanadu' isn't the version that was mixed for the album release, I think the new Broadway cast recording retains the Country-Western segment.

dullboy
03-05-08, 05:06 PM
even the final song 'Xanadu' isn't the version that was mixed for the album release, I think the new Broadway cast recording retains the Country-Western segment.
Yep, just downloaded Fool Country, and half of the tune is the rock part, and the other half is the country part. I was hoping for a whole three minutes of the first half, but I guess it never existed in that state.

will travel
03-06-08, 01:37 AM
How many songs does Kelly sing?
Not many people like his singing but I enjoyed his vocals.

SI78
03-06-08, 10:38 AM
Unless I'm having a total brainfart, he only sings one, 'Whenever You're Away From Me'.

Giles
03-06-08, 10:48 AM
Unless I'm having a total brainfart, he only sings one, 'Whenever You're Away From Me'.

that's the only song that I recall as well.

FILMCZY
03-06-08, 12:00 PM

Hehe.

Pirate Movie? The musical or the XXX feature?

Oh, never mind, I just realized I have both...

The Pirate Movie has been sitting in my "get to" stack for over a year.

I'm I really missing anything?

Although those you think there is nothing more entertaining than a bad musical have not sat through "The Apple." Now THERE's an 80"s nightmare...

SI78
03-06-08, 04:44 PM
Oh God yes. Pirate Movie is a majestic trainwreck. I adore it.

Mao
04-05-08, 10:19 PM
Any image comparison reviews out there between the new edition and the old version?

JIF
04-06-08, 12:23 AM
It was painful to sit through this movie. I couldn't sit through it. But I love ELO and Olivia's music.

dx23
04-06-08, 06:16 PM
Any image comparison reviews out there between the new edition and the old version?

I doubt that there is one now, since the DVD is released in June. Probably by the beggining of the month, we'll see something at dvdbeaver.

kenbuzz
04-06-08, 07:52 PM
Unless I'm having a total brainfart, he only sings one, 'Whenever You're Away From Me'.That was Gene Kelly, in a duet with ONJ. It was also the final recorded dance of his great career. And, if memory serves, many of the steps were reproduced as an homage from his famous dance with Debbie Reynolds in Singin' In The Rain:

Enjoy:

Whenever You're Away From Me (Xanadu)
Uud6WGEVbrw

Singin' In The Rain (skip to 2:40 - 3:54 for the dance)
fCNIuwmGDv4

TomOpus
04-06-08, 08:34 PM
Singin' In The Rain (skip to 2:40 - 3:54 for the dance) and then skip to 7:26 for a terrific dance sequence with Donald O'Conner.

dx23
04-09-08, 08:52 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CaxiF9F4L._SS500_.jpg

gcbma
04-10-08, 06:19 AM
...and ended up looking like a middle-aged lesbian!

Who? Bruce Jenner (Can't Stop the Music) or Kristy McNichol (The Pirate Movie)?

mickey65
04-10-08, 08:08 AM
Who? Bruce Jenner (Can't Stop the Music) or Kristy McNichol (The Pirate Movie)?

Bruce Jenner.

mickey65
04-10-08, 08:11 AM

What about Roller Boogie with Linda Blair? Remember that one?

achau9598
04-10-08, 08:56 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CaxiF9F4L._SS500_.jpg

-other-

rfduncan
04-10-08, 11:22 AM
See now I had to jury-rig my own MP3 version off the original DVD in order to get that extended closing number into my iPod. Now THAT on CD would convince me to repurchase the soundtrack.

Giles
06-24-08, 12:16 PM
I just bought this at Best Buy and e-gads! this new cover for the SE has to be gayest cover - evar! It actually sparkles.

Julie Walker
06-24-08, 02:50 PM
I just bought this at Best Buy and e-gads! this new cover for the SE has to be gayest cover - evar! It actually sparkles.

:rimshot:

I forgot this was coming out today. How much is it at Best Buy and is the trailer included on the dvd or not? I know it's on the first release,but sometimes Universal drops them. But since the soundtrack comes with the dvd,and I'm sure the transfer is better. I'll still pick it up.

Giles
06-24-08, 03:00 PM
$14.99

the extras are Going Back to Xanadu - retrospective documentary
and Photo Gallery

the trailer looks to be MIA

Spiderbite
06-24-08, 03:18 PM
Can anyone say if the CD soundtrack has been remastered?

I have an old CD import from years ago (before it was ever released on CD here in the US) and it sounds like shit.

Walter Neff
06-24-08, 04:36 PM
Can anyone say if the CD soundtrack has been remastered?

I have an old CD import from years ago (before it was ever released on CD here in the US) and it sounds like shit.

I don't think that's because of the mastering. :rimshot:

Julie Walker
06-24-08, 05:53 PM
I stopped by Best Buy and they did not have it at all! No spot on the shelf,and nothing in the musical(or comedy) section either! Target didn't have it either(they used to always have the first release),and I haven't checked Wal-Mart yet.

BigSue
06-24-08, 06:04 PM
I have the Xanadu soundtrack on LP :bdance: Cripes, I'm old. I'll be buying this because I love the cheesy, old memories.

The Valeyard
06-24-08, 07:28 PM
Trailer is definitely on it! In the Special Features section. Yay!!!

CD looks to be the US Soundtrack.

Julie Walker
06-24-08, 07:54 PM

Cool! :)

Where did you buy your copy?

I don't want to risk wasting gas to seek out other Best Buy locations and find they don't have it,like the one near my house.

If Wal-Mart doesn't have it,I may just order it online.

The Valeyard
06-24-08, 08:23 PM
Cool! :)

Where did you buy your copy?

I don't want to risk wasting gas to seek out other Best Buy locations and find they don't have it,like the one near my house.

If Wal-Mart doesn't have it,I may just order it online.

I went to the Best Buy in Glendora, CA. They had at least 8 copies in the Musical Section.

Giles
06-25-08, 07:45 AM

is there a different (import version) soundtrack??

Double_Oh_7
06-25-08, 08:36 AM
I went to the Best Buy in Glendora, CA. They had at least 8 copies in the Musical Section.
According to bestbuy.com, none of the stores in my area have copies of this. It even says "online only".

The Valeyard
06-25-08, 02:20 PM
According to bestbuy.com, none of the stores in my area have copies of this. It even says "online only".

Bestbuy.com isn't very reliable with what stores actually have. There's been numerous times where I looked up a title online and found the store didn't care a title but when I went to the actual store, they had plenty.

It's best to just bite the bullet and pop by.

Double_Oh_7
06-25-08, 03:02 PM
Bestbuy.com isn't very reliable with what stores actually have. There's been numerous times where I looked up a title online and found the store didn't care a title but when I went to the actual store, they had plenty.

It's best to just bite the bullet and pop by.
I did. There were none.

The Valeyard
06-25-08, 07:04 PM
I did. There were none.

D'oh! Sorry about that.

Julie Walker
06-25-08, 07:27 PM
No luck finding it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. So I'm just going to order it online.

Snowmaker
06-25-08, 08:49 PM
I just watched the movie this past Friday. First time since I was a kid. And I didn't even know a new DVD of it was coming out. :lol:

Spiderbite
06-26-08, 01:52 PM
How is the cd packaged?

Double_Oh_7
06-26-08, 04:31 PM
No luck finding it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. So I'm just going to order it online.
I got it for about $11.XX at the Deep Discount 20% off sale.

HGN2001
06-26-08, 06:50 PM
I got it at Borders today with a coupon making it $14.99.

The CD is packaged in the spot where a normal DVD single disc would be. There's a plastic "page" that houses the movie DVD.

The CD is identical to what you'd find on the current issue CD.

The DVD looks to be remastered. The movie looks great - I've not yet played it on my surround system, but the upgrade from 4.0 to 5.1 should be pretty good.

And yes, the cover is VERY sparkly!'

Harry

GMLSKIS
06-27-08, 02:23 AM
I got it for about $11.XX at the Deep Discount 20% off sale.

I will be ordering this today from Deep Discount also. I have been a lifelong Olivia fan and have seen her in concert 4 times in my life. After E.T., Xanadu beleive it or not is my next favorite alltime movie. I have this on VHS and the original DVD but only have the soundtrack on vynal so this will work great with the bonus cd. I jazzed to be doubledipping with Olivia.