Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gran Turismo 5 / GT5 Prologue - Official Thread

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you get GT5 Prologue?
Yes
40.35%
No, I'll wait for the full GT5
38.60%
I don't like Gran Turismo/racing sims.
21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Digital Polyphony has announced they are going to release a Prologue version of Gran Turismo 5. Street date is April 17th for $40. It looks like it's going to have most if not all the race modes that GT5 will have, but only 60 cars. The game WILL have online play.

It looks like the biggest downside beside the limited number of cars is there appears to be only 4 tracks (which can be run forwards and backwards). I have no idea if the drift mode that was in the Gran Turismo HD demo will be in the Prologue.

Extra features for GT5Prologue:
Head Start on Gran Turismo 5 -- Get a jump on the competition. You can transfer your Gran Turismo 5 Prologue progress to Gran Turismo 5 when it releases.

Added Bonus -- Available exclusively on the Blu-Ray Disc version of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the HD video feature “Beyond The Apex,” a behind-the-scenes look at the Gran Turismo franchise and developer Polyphony Digital.

Official Website: http://www.us.playstation.com/granturismo/
Partial Car List: http://www.us.playstation.com/grantu...arlist_pro.asp

If you preorder on Amazon before April 15th, there is a $5 GC which was sent out through your PSN e-mail but I'm not 100% sure it's not unique. If someone PMs me their code I will compare it to mine to make sure they are identical and post it here.
Old 02-26-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I'll be picking this up for sure. I almost imported it since it's region free but decided I could wait to save $15-20. GT has been the only driving sim I've been able to get into.
Old 02-26-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already preordered it from Amazon using the PSN code.
Old 02-26-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll wait until the full game comes out and spend the extra $20. I still have Forza 2 & PGR 4 to keep me going.
Old 02-26-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When does the full game come out?
Old 02-26-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gromit
When does the full game come out?
My guess is early 2009, but nobody knows. There is no date set currently.
Old 02-28-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Just like the PSP version of GT.
Old 04-24-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So did anybody bother to pick this up? If so how is it? My PS3 time turned out to be a lot more limited than I was expecting so I haven't bothered yet. I may still get it used though.
Old 04-24-08, 05:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like the idea of switching over your progress. But they should offer a discount for people who buy Prologue, otherwise you're spending $100 on a $60 game (which really should be $50 anyway ).
Old 04-24-08, 05:38 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I purchased it, yet to play it, installed it last night, but too many other distractions.
Old 04-24-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Unlike Uncle Moneybags above I won't be spending $40 on a demo. Hell, I wouldn't spend $20. But I'm not the target market anyway.
Old 04-25-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having so much fun with this game. I got it for $35 from Amazon, they sent a $5 discount by email.
I also got the Logitech Drive Force Pro Wheel from craigslist for $50. So for $85 I'm having a really great time playing.
For me, sim driving games can be played only with a wheel. That's the only way to get the full experience. That's the reason why, while I still have Forza 2, I haven't really played it, I don't have the MS wheel.
GT5: Prologue can be as simple as you want. Get a car, race in "circles". Or as complex as you want, check the circuit, look for the right car, tune the car, practice your turns, know your wheel, gas and brake pedals, etc.
I'm not that good in the game, most golds in C, and B, a couple of silver and bronzes, and just starting A class. I've not been able to win any online race, but I've had several second places.
Old 04-28-08, 10:53 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I like it, I was wondering what was wrong with my thumb as I was falling asleep on Saturday night, then I realised I had played the game for a while. Was pretty beat, long week of late nights..

Haven't unlocked A yet, just have the beat 16 cars in one lap to go, can't get it yet. Integra doesn't have enough Juice. Driving the GT-R is great though.

And this is only the 2nd game I've purchased for the PS3 sr. bus..

I love me some car games, don't like the GTA type games, but pure racing I love.
Old 04-28-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got this game from buy.com over the weekend (along with the DS3). For $20ish (after the $25 off $75 coupon), i can't complaint

It's a beautiful game, not bad at all (never played the previous GT games). I'm perfectly happy with this "incomplete" game. As for the "fuller" version down the road, nah, i'm gonna pass on that one. There's so much to do in this version that i don't think i ever gonna earn enough credit to buy all 125 cars (oh, i love those cars!)
Old 04-30-08, 10:06 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Suzuka is hard.

Also the 1 lappers are tough.. Can't get better than 3rd on those.

Past all so far to the A Races, with the exception of suzuka..

Love the Eigerwald races.
Old 05-01-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^^

Man, glad to hear i'm not the only one... That's so funny, since the 1 lapper is my favorite. I can only do 3rd I played that course so many times that i actually remember where to turn and cut off the other racers (up to half the course). Then toward then end, darn, no opening to pass the cars ahead of me.

Is Suzuka the one with a lot of curves? I can't do that one, i think you have to use a different car for it or something.
Old 05-01-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

P.S. I think i need to get a wheel... any recommendations?
Old 05-01-08, 12:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
^^^

Man, glad to hear i'm not the only one... That's so funny, since the 1 lapper is my favorite. I can only do 3rd I played that course so many times that i actually remember where to turn and cut off the other racers (up to half the course). Then toward then end, darn, no opening to pass the cars ahead of me.

Is Suzuka the one with a lot of curves? I can't do that one, i think you have to use a different car for it or something.
I've won it now.

So Far my favourite car is the Viper. It's fast, and can win most anything. Suzuka is the longer track with lots of turns yes.
Old 05-04-08, 01:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got past all the A races..

Needed the 07 WRX for the Japanese Car Race.
and the Ferrari F430 for Suzuka..
Old 05-05-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
P.S. I think i need to get a wheel... any recommendations?
I have the Logitech Driving Force Pro (DFP), I bought it used from Craigslist for $50. It was released for GT4, the driving Force GT is the one that was released for GT5.

I really like the the wheel, it makes the game more realistic and more fun. You need a desk or something like that to attach the wheel though, so take that in consideration.
Old 05-27-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Haven't unlocked A yet, just have the beat 16 cars in one lap to go, can't get it yet. Integra doesn't have enough Juice. Driving the GT-R is great though.
So what do you do to finally get past this race? I can't get better than sixth, and I'm following the optimum racing line (as best as I can). Is there some trick to passing that I haven't figured out? As you said, the Integra just doesn't seem to have the juice. The game is going from a lot of fun to highly frustrating for me.
Old 06-05-08, 05:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

For the Integra, you need to do a couple of things. I can't remember it right now, but if you get hit from behind you get a bump in speed, but mostly it's about tackling other cars, and getting ahead early enough.
Old 06-05-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
For the Integra, you need to do a couple of things. I can't remember it right now, but if you get hit from behind you get a bump in speed, but mostly it's about tackling other cars, and getting ahead early enough.
Yeah, I finally got past it. I bounced off a wall at one point and that shot me ahead of enough cars. I finished in 3rd, and I'll never do that race again.
Old 06-05-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any way to access music options ? I like some of the music on the disc, but mixing in some from the hard drive would be nice.
Old 06-06-08, 12:13 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redcat
Yeah, I finally got past it. I bounced off a wall at one point and that shot me ahead of enough cars. I finished in 3rd, and I'll never do that race again.
I ran it again last night, finished 3rd at my 2nd attempt. As long as you are 8th coming out of the tunnel, you are good to go..

The S Class stuff is a lot harder, I've only completed 2 of those, aside from the fact that you need a lot of money to get the cars needed to participate in the races, you are then at the level where short cuts will lose you time.

and also bumping into cars too. Which doesn't take into account them hitting you. Damn them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.