Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad - Season 1 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Breaking Bad - Season 1 Discussion

I figured we should start a thread for discussion of the entire season - I don't think we have enough people watching this show "live" that we need a thread for each episode. (I don't know if the mods could combine the other threads into one)

So I'll kick it off with Episode 5 - Gray Matter

I liked this episode, and can't wait until they get back to cooking drugs! I don't like the fact that he has a legal way to pay for his treatment - but instead turns to cooking meth for $.

On one hand - he could use his talents and work for a company, get treatment, earn more $ for his growing family, etc. Or you could deal drugs - promote drug addiction, violence, robberies, taxing police and medical resources, all the wonderful things that drug addiction brings to a community.

I wish they never introduced his "wealthy" friend, and that he helped contribute to the company in some way.
Old 02-26-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You make a good point...but they have done a nice (non cliche) job of keeping them apart.

I also really like the look of this show, it is all washed out and cold...ironic since they are in the desert. That is a nice touch.

Sad there are only 2 episodes left, but I think this deserves a second season.
Old 02-26-08, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
OH man. I just got caught up this past Sunday and you're telling me we only have 2 more episodes? Damn. I've been enjoying them way too much, with the "bathtub" scene from episode 2 being an instant favorite.
Old 02-26-08, 10:44 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the wife called, I'm thinking there is more to the wealthy friend than has been said. Refusing to accept the money suggests that would absolve them of their past actions (and guilt), about which we have yet to learn.
Old 02-26-08, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MrE
After the wife called, I'm thinking there is more to the wealthy friend than has been said. Refusing to accept the money suggests that would absolve them of their past actions (and guilt), about which we have yet to learn.
I get that - but I don't feel that a broken heart is justifiable in deciding to supply crystal meth to Arizona.

Before this story - the Crantz was a reluctant hero of sorts - who you rooted for, and wanted to see succeed (It didn't matter what he did to save his life and provide for his family).

Now - he could have money, health care, move up the social ladder legitimately. But he doesn't want a hand out because he has a broken heart, cheated, etc!!

He lost my sympathy.
Old 02-26-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Just as an aside, this is based (and filmed) in New Mexico, not Arizona.
Old 02-26-08, 11:43 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I get that - but I don't feel that a broken heart is justifiable in deciding to supply crystal meth to Arizona.

Before this story - the Crantz was a reluctant hero of sorts - who you rooted for, and wanted to see succeed (It didn't matter what he did to save his life and provide for his family).

Now - he could have money, health care, move up the social ladder legitimately. But he doesn't want a hand out because he has a broken heart, cheated, etc!!

He lost my sympathy.
Agreed. He finally decided that he would get treatment, but wasn't going to take handouts to get it. I can appreciate that, but at the expense of your family's financial well being? Not so much.

At this point I have more sympathy for the Captain.
Old 02-26-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All good points and not thinking about long term for his family is tough to take, but also, given it's more selfish, but in addition to not wanting to take a hand out, he also only has a limited time to live and views breaking bad as "living". I think he said something in the first couple of episodes like he was "awake" now and if he accepts the legitimate money is just same thing he's been doing his whole life.

Also, did we ever find out what he did to crazy eight? I don't know if I missed part of an episode or what.

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-26-08, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh

Also, did we ever find out what he did to crazy eight? I don't know if I missed part of an episode or what.
We don't know yet - but his wife says "you are still comming home late" and we know that he is not with Captian, not working his other job - so it may be a flashback in a later episode.
Old 02-26-08, 03:46 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's assuming it was just a broken heart. I was thinking something more ruthless. Whether it's justifiable remains to be seen. Was killing the drug dealer justifiable? Morality became quite gray in this show many episodes back.

Last edited by MrE; 02-26-08 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 08:48 AM

Last nights episode was BAD ASS!!

I guess selling drugs is harder than I thought - but the ending rocked!!

Now they got themselves a huge bankroll.
Old 03-03-08, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Last nights episode was BAD ASS!!

I guess selling drugs is harder than I thought - but the ending rocked!!

Now they got themselves a huge bankroll.

Yes, yes it did. The poker scene was also fantastic.
Old 03-03-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Him walking away from the blown up building and then looking at the money and getting all fired up the car was incredible.

Solid episode.

ETA: I feel now even more after watching his reaction in the car after getting the money, is that he went the cooking route b/c it makes him feel "alive" and he doesn't want his remaining days to just be taking charity from a legitimate source of income.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 03-03-08 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-03-08, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Again after last night I feel more sympathy for Jesse than I do for Walt. But a very solid episode again.

So is this "season" so short because of the strike or because AMC just ordered these few episodes to test it out? Or is next week planned as the final episode of the series? I hope not...but of course they can't really drag this out too awfully long, assuming Walt's cancer is going to get the best of him.

If there is another season planned, when can we expect it?
Old 03-03-08, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by aktick
Again after last night I feel more sympathy for Jesse than I do for Walt. But a very solid episode again.

So is this "season" so short because of the strike or because AMC just ordered these few episodes to test it out? Or is next week planned as the final episode of the series? I hope not...but of course they can't really drag this out too awfully long, assuming Walt's cancer is going to get the best of him.

If there is another season planned, when can we expect it?
Both actually. 9 episodes were ordered, but only 7 finished because of the strike. But I think season 2 is inevitable, since this was wayyyy better than Dirt (which I liked last season) last night. If AMC wants to be like FX or HBO, they need to keep this show on. Mad Man is excellent (I have seen 3/4 of an episode and it was great...but did you expect anything less from a Sopranos writer?) as well. Along with Hustle, they could really have something.
Old 03-03-08, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by macnorton
Along with Hustle, they could really have something.
What's Hustle?
Old 03-03-08, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by aktick
What's Hustle?
Hustle was a BBC show AMC brought to the US and co-funded for two seasons (possibly three). It is about con artists and their marks. It is like a weekly version of the Sting. Very good show, my opinion however.
Old 03-03-08, 02:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
i think Bryan Cranston is great and i am very into the show. i really didn't like the Jesse character at first and thought he was just a 1 emotion wonder, but the scenes with his family and especially little brother changed my mind and he is progressing nicely.

i'm not sure if i am enthralled with the show as a whole and do think it is a little uneven from ep to ep, but i am in for the ride, at least for now.
Old 03-03-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Oops - did a search before just checking the first page of tvtalk... don't know why this thread didn't appear. I bumped an old thread. Sorry. Anyway - this show is fantastic and as I said in the other thread, the opener for this last episode showing a preview of what's to come was awesome. I'm excited.
Old 03-03-08, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
I feel now even more after watching his reaction in the car after getting the money, is that he went the cooking route b/c it makes him feel "alive" and he doesn't want his remaining days to just be taking charity from a legitimate source of income.
I agree with you on this is a way for him to feel "alive"

I think treatment or no treatment - he would be going the cooking route, just for that purpose
Old 03-03-08, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Trigger
Oops - did a search before just checking the first page of tvtalk... don't know why this thread didn't appear. .
I had the same problem too. I PMd a mod and there is no explination for it
Old 03-04-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
That ending was brilliant. At first I thought the "vision" at the beginning was exactly that. Simply awesome to see it was actually a part of the story.

Bryan Cranston is simply amazing in this role. If he doesn't get an Emmy nod, I would be completely shocked. Well, not completely, because roles like this quite often get overlooked.
Old 03-05-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The search here sucks. I've looked for my own threads using keywords and searched both titles and subjects, and nothing appears, even though the words are there.

I am glad that I kept watching this show. After the first show or two, I wasn't that impressed, but it's really picked up the pace lately. I love how Cranston uses chemistry to be a badass, taking down his enemies.
Old 03-05-08, 08:35 AM

This is one of the few rare shows that received a ton of solid pre-buzz that actually turned out to be damn excellent. I've always thought Bryan Cranston, from his MITM days, was a great actor that had been constantly looked over by the Emmy's. Hopefully he at least gets a nomination for this.
Old 03-05-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this episode, and can't wait until they get back to cooking drugs! I don't like the fact that he has a legal way to pay for his treatment - but instead turns to cooking meth for $.

But I don't think the cash is just to pay for the treatments, it's to set his family
up for when he's gone. Sure he's just making a bit now, but the intent was to
score huge then die. His grappling with his conscience and not realizing exactly
what went into selling is what's keeping the cash flow to a minimum.

On the wealthy friend side, that was just them throwing a bone (both the
job offer, then the offer to pay for the treatment) because Skyler told them
of his cancer. I doubt they'd carry her and the son after Walt is gone.
Not to mention Walt wants to regain his pride/dignity, as what we've
seen of his past life so far has shown that he let everyone walk all over him
before the diagnosis. To me, this is what makes his "outbursts" so enjoyable.
They're not just the crazy action segments, they're the root for the little
guy, good for you moments.

Love the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.