DVD Talk
How many defective dvd's have turned up in your collection [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How many defective dvd's have turned up in your collection

Panda Phil
02-25-08, 07:09 AM
I've been extremely annoyed that two copies in row of Gettysburg have been glitchy. Also disk 3 of my B:TAS season 3 box had a nice big scratch on it, that makes one entire episode unwatchable.

And now, I find that disk 3 of my Law and Order Season 4 is no longer playable at all!

Of course, the fact that two of these are flippers might have something to do with it. But thats another thread.

So how many dead or dying dvd's do you own?

Brian Shannon
02-25-08, 08:15 AM
Out of ~500 discs, none that I am aware of.

Matthew Ackerly
02-25-08, 08:34 AM
None.. why would I keep defective discs in my collection?

If it's defective, I toss it.

Takeshi357
02-25-08, 08:41 AM
Only one. Mad Max SE. It had a huge manufacturing error (a small dent that made the disc unplayable some one hour plus into the film), but I never got around to tossing it because it still has perfectly serviceable case and cover...

matome
02-25-08, 08:47 AM
2700 discs and I've never came across one that gave me any playback issues yet.

nemein
02-25-08, 09:04 AM
None that I'm aware of, but w/ over 1200 titles and 2300 actual DVDs, it's not like I watch them all on a regular basis ;)

BullGooseLoony
02-25-08, 09:15 AM
I haven't bought a defective DVD of years...and then I picked up Men in Black II for $5 this past December. I think that's a sign I need to get rid of it.

dx23
02-25-08, 10:03 AM
Only one: FM released by Anchor Bay. It's also out of print so I'm unable to replace it at an affordable price.

Maxflier
02-25-08, 11:06 AM
I have ~1000 and don't recall ever getting a defective one.

Giggles
02-25-08, 11:19 AM
I've got 2. First is one of the French Texas Chainsaw Massacre editions. It has a little dent and don't show the main manu, just starts playing from a couple of minutes into the movie. But since I keep this edition mostly for the cover and have lots of others to watch this film on, I don't mind.
And the second is Dr. Lamb. The disc got loose in the box during shipping and first two minutes play with strange sound. But because of my laziness I decided not to send it back for a replacement and not to wait another month till it gets here.

SterlingBen
02-25-08, 01:15 PM
None, Why would you keep a defective disc? Return, resurface or rubbage.

Panda Phil
02-25-08, 03:25 PM
Damn, wish I could go back and relabel the thread 'How many defective dvd's have turned up in your collection'. :(

Most of mine have gone bad months after buying. Although I admit, with the scratched Batman disk I was just too lazy to take it back across town to return.

OldBoy
02-25-08, 05:11 PM
"Ubreakable" was the only really defective one that wouldn't play on any machine. i had to buy it again. i think 2 others have skipped once during playback, but nothing major. out of almost 1,000, but of course 100 or many more have never been played.

ericn101
02-25-08, 06:10 PM
I have never gotten a defective disc, and i have at least a 1000, I have however burned through a good half dozen defective dvd players.

mikelowry
02-25-08, 06:21 PM
My Oldboy Ultimate Tin DVD has minor defect during playback. Too bad it's OOP so I can't demand for a replacement.

Dr Mabuse
02-25-08, 06:28 PM
i've had several DVD's with errors...

around a dozen...

Heartagram
02-25-08, 08:38 PM
1 in my modest collection (~450 titles), which was Robocop 3 in the Robocop trilogy box set. The disc simply never read in any player.

shyguy1083
02-25-08, 08:40 PM
i have a pretty small collection (350 or so), but i dont ever recall having a defective DVD... that is until i was watching my recently purchased veronica mars s3 dvd set. disc 2 was all glitchy. luckily i opened it relatively soon after purchasing, otherwise i might've missed out on being able to exchange it. there are some dvds i've purchased but have yet to watch though... i can only hope that there are no issues with those.

Jray
02-25-08, 08:51 PM
I wound up with 2 that I'm aware of (still have several unwatched), out of about 350. My original copy of "Alien" had a problem that was well-known IIRC. I believe it had something to do with the layers separating or something like that. I didn't discover it until the disc was probably 2+ years old. And I had to go through 3 copies of the original "Rocky" release to get a good one. I think I have one of the defective copies of "Rocky" and it will actually play on some players, just not the one I used at the time.

mike45
02-25-08, 09:08 PM
Out of +1200 DVD's, two went bad, Tomorrow Never Dies and A Night To Remember. Actually, there may be more I am not aware of. I haven't really played through some DVD's multiple times.

My original 1997 Panasonic A-310 DVD player is still working. Though it does have problems with some discs. I've had two JVC players that have just stopped working.

ThePhantomGoat
02-25-08, 09:25 PM
I've got roughly 880 DVDs and to my knowledge, I don't have any defective discs.

visitor Q
02-25-08, 09:42 PM
There's an extra feature on my Lifeforce disc that pixelates to the point where it eventually freezes up the player completely. It happens on a couple of players. The main film presentation is fine thankfully ... well, as fine is considering it's not anamorphic.

This didn't happen until a long time after I purchased it, so I'm stuck with it. And it's been awhile since I've accessed it.

TomOpus
02-25-08, 09:46 PM
I picked up the Opera Limited Edition at the swap meet for $10. Turned out it was the defective one. Thanks to DVDTalk, I found out about the disc replacement program that Anchor Bay had. A couple weeks later, I had a working disc.

Chicken Warrior
02-25-08, 10:08 PM
Okay, now I want to know: Of the defective discs you have that don't bare obvious scratches or gashes, how many are single-layer and how many are storing more data? I have this completely unfounded suspicion that DVDs with multiple layers are more susceptible to 'wearing' away.

WillDLeeEsq
02-25-08, 10:23 PM
I bought a copy of Velvet Goldmine from Tower Records a few years back that had a big, fat purple blotch on the disc. Exchanged it, no problem.

I almost always check the disc and pop it in my DVD player after I bought it to make sure everything works.

To my knowledge, none of my DVDs have gone bad yet.

Michael Corvin
02-25-08, 10:26 PM
Out of about 700, I have three. All three are part of TV sets so it's not so easy to just toss and rebuy.

Quantum Leap: S3 disc 1 (the wonderful Universal DVD18, totally unplayable)
Northern Exposure: S2 disc 1 (got two disc twos instead of disc one)
Heroes: HDDVD: S1 disc 5 (had a scratch on day one and skips during one ep.)

asianxcore
02-25-08, 10:56 PM
Out of around 580+, I've only had around 3.

*Alias: Season 4 (Disc 3 would skip randomly during playback)
*Brotherhood of The Wolf CE (Disc 1 of 3 missing)
*Opera (2 Disc AB Edition, Disc 1 would not play)

darkside
02-25-08, 11:23 PM
Over 1200 and the only defective ones I have ever had were ones known to have problems like some of the early Anchor Bay ones that I already replaced. I have replayed many discs from 1998 and have yet to find a bad one.

pepsiguy
02-25-08, 11:39 PM
Two.

Disc 2 of Season 2 of Smallville (I actually exchanged this one twice and all were the same.)
Disc 1 of Season 4 of Angel

It annoys me to no end knowing that they're in there.

ctyankee
02-26-08, 07:57 AM
Only one. Mad Max SE. It had a huge manufacturing error (a small dent that made the disc unplayable some one hour plus into the film), but I never got around to tossing it because it still has perfectly serviceable case and cover...

Using the disc as a coaster and the case for a working disc would be more 'serviceable.'

islandclaws
02-26-08, 11:28 AM
With over 2300 DVDs, I've been lucky to have had less than 10 overall that were defective. At least, 10 I know of since I haven't watched every title I own yet. The most frequent offenders lately have been the few HD/DVD combo discs I have. Just last night Eastern Promises fucked up again, for the last time. I'm going to return it and buy the SD version and wait for a BR version to hit.

snorlaxnut
02-26-08, 01:31 PM
I have 2 bad discs from 2 sets. But they are just the cheap Mill Creek Entertainment sets you find at the Wal-Mart dumpbin. One disc, a bunch of TV shows, has one episode freeze up several times while its playing. The other disc, a bunch of cartoons, has the player freeze up and make noises after the 25th cartoon on the disc. The TV show disc I will keep and just not play the one episode that freezes. I bought another copy of the cartoon set to replace the bad disc from that set, but have to keep both copies of the set because they replaced a few cartoons on the new copy of the set.

Giles
02-26-08, 01:39 PM
I've only encountered three and they happened to be imports :mad: a Peter Greenaway Collection set disc from France, Destricted from the UK, and a copy of My Name is Joe (UK again)

EdTheRipper
02-26-08, 03:16 PM
I've had a couple messed up discs. The first was State Property. It began pixelating near the end until it finally wound up freezing completely. The other I just discovered today was The Sixth Sense. About an hour and 15 minutes in, it began kind of "hiccuping" for a second every 30 seconds or so. As the movie progressed, it got worse. :(

Jericho
02-26-08, 05:39 PM
"Ubreakable" was the only really defective one that wouldn't play on any machine. i had to buy it again. i think 2 others have skipped once during playback, but nothing major. out of almost 1,000, but of course 100 or many more have never been played.

Same thing happened to me. It worked fine when I first got it, but I went to play it a while back and it was, well broke. The irony was not lost on me. It's the only disc that I know of that broke after I got it.

uncle-frank
02-26-08, 06:13 PM
when i first bought under siege it would not play (it was a lil ruffed up) even tho it was new, but being a flipper these things happen i guess

darkhawk
02-26-08, 07:29 PM
I have over 4000 dvds. The only 2 are the first releases of THE THING (Kurt Russell) and Appollo 13 (Tom Hanks). At first, MISSION TO MARS was messing up but worked in a different dvd player.

bogrod
02-27-08, 09:33 AM
I received two consecutive bad copies of "Of Mice and Men" from Blockbuster. The third copy played fine, thankfully.

rexinnih
02-27-08, 09:45 AM
Been lucky so far.