Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Radiant City'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-21-08, 09:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I read Chris Neilson's DVD review of Radiant City at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32421 and...

Chris, I just wanted to be able to start a discussion for those who have watched the film. As you said, there is a bit of a twist near the end.

SPOILER ALERT!!
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN 'RADIANT CITY' DO NOT KEEP READING!

What was your perception pre-twist and post-twist (why am I still typing in 'non-spoiler-speak'?)

Although we find out that the family members are actually actors, it's important to remember that the experts were not scripted (even the Real Estate Agent!)

Anyway, I'd like to hear more of your thoughts, since, as you said, you long to discuss the implications of that choice by the filmmakers.

I look forward to hearing from you, and other viewers, on this topic.
Old 02-21-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for reading my review and posing your question. My thoughts upon viewing the last 15 minutes of Radiant City were these:
Spoiler:
first, I was very surprised that I hadn't picked up that the Moss family were collaboratively created by writers and actors. The actors did excellent jobs, far more believable than the actors in Mail Order Wife, for example, and I was caught completely by surprise.

Second, it really got me thinking about the novelty of mixing fiction and reality in this way, and considering the degree to which it was different from what occurs normally in the documentary filmmaking process. As close-reading documentary film fans know well, docs are often highly manipulated constructions of reality. The director and film crew work to get the shots they need, often prodding the subjects to provide certain responses either through asking the same questions over and over until the answer is provided or sometimes even putting the answer in the subject's mouth. Once the director has gotten the footage he wants, the second stage of the construction occurs in the editing booth. The director and editor reshape the footage: reordering chronology, omitting some details and emphasizing others, mixing footage and sound bites, etc. The end result is a story that may bare little resemblance to the actual events “documented.” By mixing fact and fiction so completely, Burns and Brown created a hybrid which in some ways is probably no less authentic than tone-poem-cum-documentaries like Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y or arguably even well-massaged/polished standard docs like The King of Kong, yet it is different. While it’s certainly not the first film to mix fiction and non-fiction so completely, it’s the first that blindsided me and really got me thinking about what is or is not a documentary and how that matters.

I could ramble on and on and make some comparisons to other films, genres, and even mediums (Shelby Lee Adams’ Appalachia photography, for example), but I’ll leave it there, and invite responses about whether any of what I’ve said makes sense, and/or what others think about this film or wherever their thoughts lead.

Edit to add, I realize I hadn't fully responded to your question about how my perception of the film changed after the revelation. Well, before the revelation
Spoiler:
I was thinking how incredibly lucky the filmmakers were to find this particular family to put the human face on the story in such an incredibly interesting way. After the revelation, I was just floored at how well the real and unreal elements were blended together.
I was just left thinking, how damn clever, interesting, and entertaining.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 02-22-08 at 08:42 AM.