Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

how long will American Idol runs as highest rated show last?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

how long will American Idol runs as highest rated show last?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long will American Idol run as highest rated show last?

hasn`t it been number 1 rated for 5 straight years? fickle american public still loves it. I still watch it.

Last edited by bloopbleep; 02-19-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
I think the best thing they do is that they still treat it like an event. With those kind of ratings I could definitely see the pressure to try to do it twice a year. By holding it until every January it allows the build up, and it also gives the public some time off from the show.
Old 02-19-08, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
hasn`t it been number 1 rated for 5 straight years? fickle american public still loves it. I still watch it.
kinda like a new season of nfl or major league baseball. brillant marketing. one of the few shows I watch regulary.
Old 02-19-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the foreseeable future... Nothing is even close as a rival. Even if the ratings drop, there is really nothing to take its place.
Old 02-20-08, 10:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
I think the best thing they do is that they still treat it like an event. With those kind of ratings I could definitely see the pressure to try to do it twice a year. By holding it until every January it allows the build up, and it also gives the public some time off from the show.
Agree with this. I think of how NBC practically killed the Apprentice by scheduling 3 editions (2 Trump and 1 Martha Stewart) in the same year, with two of them running at the same time on back-to-back days. I've always been surprised Fox avoided this temptation, although it maybe have been as much 19 Entertainment/Simon Fuller/etc.
Old 02-20-08, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Once Simon Cowell leaves, the show is dead. Even Randy or Paula leaving would have a significant impact on ratings.
Old 02-20-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But none of them have any reason to leave. They have nothing better to go to (nor will they ever).
Old 02-20-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
But none of them have any reason to leave. They have nothing better to go to (nor will they ever).
That's because there's no better gig out there.
Old 02-20-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I could see Simon walking away...he has plenty of money and several hit shows in the UK (including X Factor) to fall back on.

But the other poster is correct - this show is a hit until Simon leaves it. He IS the show, regardless of what anyone says.
Old 02-20-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The show is contracted through season 9. Simon mentioned in an Entertainment Weekly interview that he will probably leave after that. He says he thinks the American public will probably be sick and tired him and the show by then.
Old 02-20-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
The show is contracted through season 9. Simon mentioned in an Entertainment Weekly interview that he will probably leave after that. He says he thinks the American public will probably be sick and tired him and the show by then.
At which point Fox will counter with a $25 million a season contract and he will come back
Old 02-20-08, 02:30 PM

doesn`t Simon co-own the show with the other Simon and didn`t he bank 200 million last year more the bruce springsteen?
Old 02-20-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it'll probably end the day I die considering I find it completely worthless
Old 02-20-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
it'll probably end the day I die considering I find it completely worthless
QFT.

The ratings for AI were slipping a bit at the start of this season, but it seems like it's crawling back up into the 30+m's again.
Old 02-21-08, 07:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
That's because there's no better gig out there.
No shit. Sit behind a table, sip a Coke, and tell people who suck that they suck. There's not a person in the world who couldn't do it.
Old 02-21-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
No shit. Sit behind a table, sip a Coke, and tell people who suck that they suck. There's not a person in the world who couldn't do it.
Well at least sip something from a Coke glass. I've always wondered what's in those glasses and how much Coke pays for the privilage of having it's logo on the glasses. Shows how much I pay attention to the singing.
Old 02-21-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yes there is: Paula Abdul.
Old 02-21-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have thought people would have gotten tired of this novelty by now but I was wrong. That this passes as Entertainment says a lot about people as a whole.
Old 02-21-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I would have thought people would have gotten tired of this novelty by now but I was wrong. That this passes as Entertainment says a lot about people as a whole.
Talent shows and game shows have been around since the invention of radio and TV.

I'm sick and tired os people who act like this is a brand-new scourge they have to deal with.
Old 02-21-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What really set AI apart and makes me disgusted that people like this crap are the auditions. If they cut the audition part and made the show just about the talent contest, I wouldn't feel nearly as angry about it. In that case, it would be Nashville Star or Star Search.

I hope the ratings are down for that part. The most offensive part is that if you want to do terrible people pretending they have talent, it has been done so much better in the past (see: Barris, Chuck).
Old 02-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Agree with this. I think of how NBC practically killed the Apprentice by scheduling 3 editions (2 Trump and 1 Martha Stewart) in the same year, with two of them running at the same time on back-to-back days. I've always been surprised Fox avoided this temptation, although it maybe have been as much 19 Entertainment/Simon Fuller/etc.
ABC did the same thing by expanding Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, killing that show in primetime fairly quickly. Did it even get a 2nd season in primetime?
Old 02-21-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can see it going for a while longer. Fox knows the drill, so I don't think they're likely to drill this thing into the ground by over-programming it all over the place. They make a ton of $ and have huge ratings: why fuck with that? I know, I know... it's Fox. But, still, they seem to get it so far.
Old 02-21-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ratings may fall again. Dancing will take some of its audience next month. And if I'm not mistaken, ratings are better for auditions than afterwards anyway.

I think some people are getting tired of it. I'll just take myself for example. A few years ago, I couldn't wait until the show aired. The novelty has worn off. Nothing has changed much in all these seasons. Now, I've skipped the auditions entirely and see the same stuff from the singers and the judges the past couple of nights. If things don't pick up, I'm tuning off. I think it was that kind of indifference that caused AI to take a little hit.
Old 02-21-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would've been nice if American Idol took some chances and kept Josiah Leming (British sounding kid). I just listened to some of his songs on his myspace, and even though I wasn't a fan of his audition - that kid has talent. He puts real emotion into his songs. I think we're seeing boring cookie cutter singers this year. That may hurt the ratings in the long run. We'll see how it turns out.
Old 02-22-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I never really watched Ai untill last season. I would pay attention at the final 2 in the previous seasons, but never followed an entire season till last year. I think there are more people like me who just gave up hating on this show and started enjoying it for what it is, a yearly pop culture event.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.