Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 2008 - Top 24 week 2/19/08 - 2/21/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
American Idol 2008 - Top 24 week 2/19/08 - 2/21/08

Wow, surprised no one has started a thread for the top 24 week of AI yet.

Anyhoo...

Can't believe Simon called Chikezie "Jacuzzi". Damn, that was bad.
Old 02-19-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
"We're Brothers Forever" is one of this week's FREE iTunes video downloads
Old 02-19-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
So far, I've seen two performers that should've been performing tomorrow instead

Both sang Elvis...

Last edited by GuessWho; 02-19-08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Wow, surprised no one has started a thread for the top 24 week of AI yet.

Anyhoo...

Can't believe Simon called Chikezie "Jacuzzi". Damn, that was bad.
Because less and less people are watching (!?)

OK, how many people wanted to bitch slap Danny Noriega? Hands down, the most queeny/bitchy male contestant in Idol history. I fucking hate this "guy".

David Archuleta is the best male Idol this year. Game over.
Old 02-19-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait until you hear Michael Johns before crowning Archuleta the male idol...
Old 02-19-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Garrett Haley looks like Helen Hunt with a bad perm and four hairs over his upper lip.
Old 02-19-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait until you hear Michael Johns before crowning Archuleta the male idol...
Heard him. Not impressed. He's one of the top 3 male vocalists for sure. But no way is he better than Archuleta.
Old 02-19-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Doors song?!? Wha?!? From the majority of the other crap these guys were singing, I thought this was the 60's super mellow, AM radio, Brady Bunch, rainbow smile show.

David Archuleta was the best.
Old 02-19-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

David Hernandez - good start, but it sort of fell apart by the close of the song. Needs more stage performance experiences.

Chikezie - shaky start (enunciation problems to my ears), but good smooth vocals, otherwise, but he did sound a little too throw-back to the 60's.

David Cook - nifty arrangement of a song that's rarely had that sort of treatment, but I think he pulled it off, but his long notes aren't as impressive, and he's a little too cute with the short lines of the song.

Jason Yeager - Definitely lost his train of thought for a second, and did sound a little cheesy, plus the silly grin didn't help, but I blame the song choice on most of his problems, but it doesn't bode well for the future cruise ship singer...

Robby Carrico - I found his vocals a little thin, with not much on reserve, he reminds me more of a backup singer, not quite got enough to sing with to give a rock edge to the song.

David Archuleta - very comfortable on stage, has a distinctive vocal style (easily recognizable), but he sort of sings from the back of his throat, which limits big notes (he seems to have to wind up for a long notes at times), plus the sound of his air intake is louder than other singers (which is a little distracting), but he knows how to play the "gosh shucks" card and the audience will eat it up. That season on Star Search 5 years ago served him well.

Danny Noriega - horrible song choice because he turned in a monotonous vocal performance, but I think he's better suited for broadway, not as a recording artist. His "sassy" attitude won't carry inside a recording studio, either.

Luke Menard - it's weird to hear someone look like that sound like that in terms of having a higher pitched voice, but he sort of faded during the song, but he did get to showcase his falsetto at the end. But Simon's right, it was very forgettable and uninspired. Plus his wardrobe choice was pretty awful.

Colton Berry - Another indistinctive, banal, vocal performance; simply put: his vocals just aren't anything to write home about. Another broadway washout-in-training, I'm afraid. Should have put Kyle through.

Garrett Haley - If he shaved off that peach fuzz of a moustache, I thought you could sneak Garrett on for the Girls night tomorrow, and not many would realize he was a guy singing on Girls night. His lack of stage experience was evident, but he's got a decent voice (much better than Colton's), just really bad performance skills (unlike David Archuleta), which lends itself to being a staid and timid experience for us watching him.

Jason Castro - a very confident performance that gave me that impression that he'd been singing on stage for years, but his voice isn't a recording artist's voice in terms of being instantly recognizable and memorable. I think he'll go well in live performances playing in small venues, but he's got potential, but not quite the gift (vocally).

Michael Johns - Solid performance, and easily in the top 2 for the night. I think he does have a recording artist's voice for the studio, and does have front man experience for a band, so that's not an issue in terms of performance skills.

Overall, the rankings of the guys:

Top 4
David Archuleta
Michael Johns
David Cook
Jason Castro

Middling
Robbie Carrigo
Chikezie
David Hernandez
Jason Yeager

Bottom 4
Danny Noriega
Garrett Haley
Luke Menard
Colton Berry

I think Luke and Colton are going home.

Last edited by Patman; 02-19-08 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really liked the Castro kid. Archuleta was also good, and Cook was probably my 3rd favorite. Johns was good, but really seemed "blah" to me.
Old 02-19-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Archuleta is gonna win this season. I called it first.
Old 02-19-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[b]David Archuleta - very comfortable on stage, has a distinctive vocal style (easily recognizable), but he sort of sings from the back of his throat, which limits big notes (he seems to have to wind up for a long notes at times), plus the sound of his air intake is louder than other singers (which is a little distracting), but he know how to play the "gosh shucks" card and the audience will eat it up.
I don't think he's playing anything. He seems 100% genuine to me. Because he was very emotional about it.
Old 02-19-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

David's too seasoned to not be a bit calculatingly effusive in his "sincerity" on screen.
Old 02-19-08, 09:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
I don't think he's playing anything. He seems 100% genuine to me. Because he was very emotional about it.
if it was a performance, he'd give Daniel Day-Lewis a run for his money.

David was also kinda laughing, because he said he didn't think it was that good.
Old 02-19-08, 09:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Anyone else find the ending hilarious, Simon making fun of Randy going "wheew," and Simon getting snubbed? Sorry, I'm easy.
Old 02-19-08, 10:13 PM

Danny Noriega is MALE.
Old 02-19-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, didnt like a majority of the performances tonight.

Top 4 performances of the night for me were Robbie Carrico, David Archeletta, Michael Johns and Jason Castro.

Didnt like David Cook at all...he was really bland for me. Loved how Carrico made the song modern and I thought he sounded great. Think that Chekizie guy and Garrett (as in Leif Garrett?) are going home.
Old 02-19-08, 10:15 PM

Colton Berry is also a GUY.
Old 02-19-08, 10:18 PM

Did they explain why two of the girls were missing in the "dawg pound" ?
Old 02-19-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sure to leave: Garrett Haley
2nd guy to leave: Chikizie or Luke Menard

I was wondering where Kristy Lee Cook was in the girls section as well. Who was the other one missing? I don't think I saw Carly Smithson either.
Old 02-19-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TwineTime
Danny Noriega is MALE.
Surely you jest.
Old 02-19-08, 11:16 PM

The homophobia in these threads whenever there's a gay contestant that doesn't pass for straight is unsettling.
Old 02-19-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TwineTime
The homophobia in these threads whenever there's a gay contestant that doesn't pass for straight is unsettling.
I see what you mean, but my post was in response to what clearly seemed like a wiseass post to me. I find it hard to believe, as well as a bit ridiculous, that you would seriously feel the need to point out that both those people are in fact male. There isn't a person here who genuinely didn't already know that.
Old 02-19-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, so I haven't joined in any of these threads yet, so this may have been mentioned before.... Does anyone recognize Jason Castro as the boyfriend (at the time) of Cheyenne Kimball during her MTV show "Cheyenne"?? He's actually in one her videos:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsk8acD6ryc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsk8acD6ryc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I have a feeling someone already pointed this out and I'm an ass.
Old 02-20-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Cook is MALE.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.