Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GNR: Chinese Democracy update (continued)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

GNR: Chinese Democracy update (continued)

Old 02-16-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
THE COLLECTIVE -> UNOFFICIAL STATEMENT - CHINESE DEMOCRACY

February 13th 2008: 14:31.EST

From the desk of : -------------------, Geffen, Interscope A&M

FAO: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

---Guns N' Roses---

Thank you for your patience with the proceedings of the album by the hard rock band "Guns N' Roses". The album "Chinese Democracy" is finally in post production as of January 2008. It has been nearly eight long, arduous years and as such it is a thrill to finally announce that the album is indeed completed.

Suggested Finalized Information:

(please refer to attachment CDsongs.nfo_1)
(please refer to attachment DVDchapters.nfo_2)

To say this album has taken a while is most certainly, an understatement, after various demonstrational products of the album leaked, two world tours had to be cancelled, then pulled back with a phenomenal world tour of 2006/2007, shows the fans patience in this band, and indeed the final album in question, Chinese Democracy.

Mr Rose was personally at Interscope earlier this month and thanks to our marketing and legal departments, has secured the rights for the sound bites and speech as used by Martin Luther King in the song "Madagascar" and thus we have come to an abridged agreement with the three siblings of the King Estate as of September 2007, as well as the guitar work used by the artist "Buckethead" stemming from earlier recordings of the album before his departure in 2004.

The original plans for this major release were to have included an earlier Extended Play disc and then to stem from that the first and second singles from the album, however due to conflicts of interest of the album the plans had been scrapped as of December 2007. The original Extended Play disc was to have contained at least three mastered tracks that were set to be on the album "Chinese Democracy" including the former referred song "Madagascar", as well as three that weren't, in order to give the fans a preview of the album that was forthcoming, however various problems have included lawsuits from former band members, the collapse of our sister company and the forced merger that has tied into that stemming from profits and loss of the financial year of 2006/2007.

The band's original plans were that the album would be released after the world tour in 2007, as with the world tour wrapped up and old and new fans seeing the new incarnation of Guns N' Roses, the album was expected to become a juggernaut and even one of the crown jewels of the music year, along with other established artists under our banner including "Good Charlotte" and "A Fire Inside" as well as our recent signed artists from the UK including "The Klaxons" and "Enter Shikari", then a longer than scheduled tour would have occurred in 2007 into 2008, backing the release of the album and playing shows and festivals that were not on other tours in previous years to integrate the world tour experience.

In late 2007, developments came around new material that had been recorded earlier in the year, with the option of those tracks becoming both physical and digital releases; however more problems arose when Mr. Rose and the current producer, Mr. Andy Wallace, declined against using the mix of the tracks. The tracks, which included the track known as "Motormouth" were set to be used in the new game by Electronic Arts Inc. known as "Burnout Paradise", however an agreement did come through the use of the original master track "Paradise City" which was the tie-in theme for the game.

However more recently the development of financial setbacks have arisen over the prospective release and schedule over the album, with the band set to tour in late 2008 into 2009 following the suggested release of the album has meant that the financing of one Mr. Rose has had to come to an abrupt halt for the time being, as the continuing conflicts are preventing us from nearing 100% completion. The planned tour was scheduled to be beginning in late fall of 2008, continuing into mid spring of 2009, where the second of the albums by the band was to have been released. A third and final album was scheduled for release shortly after this. Long-time friend of Mr. Rose, Mr. Sebastian Bach has been given permission of the use of this information by Mr. Rose. Mr. Bach also has collaborated on many tracks on the albums as well as many other artists and musicians, and as such, problems have arisen with other artist labels to use these musicians on the material, along with issues of pay and content rights.

The current problems that have arisen with the album are also that of visual proportion. The album does not as of yet have cover art and a theme to the cover, as, much to our dismay, Mr. Rose did not like the original concept cover from the album, as seen in a meeting with the band in late 2007. However with plans for the album to be released digitally at first, there are plans for us to come to compromise with Mr. Rose over this situation. With the proposed tour in question, and off the back of that said tour would come the release of the album, these plans, as stated before, are not set in stone, but we are nearing closer, as was said, the album is done, however the legalities and financial issues are the problems for this album at this time, as sale and printing of the albums, as well as copyright control and digital rights management, does not even cover 1/10th of the assets we have paid to Mr. Rose.

Negotiations are ongoing with the band and Mr. Rose's manager, Ms "Beta" Lebeis and as progress is becoming more and more evident now than ever, we are hoping to make a major announcement through official sources of Mr. Rose as of summer 2008.

The record company thus far has paid Mr. Rose an estimated $10 million plus for this album and to keep the well known, established artist under our varied umbrella of artists that includes such established artists as "Mary J. Blige", "U2" and "Sonic Youth". However at this present time, with the album finished and the first of three set to drop in stores in 2008, Mr. Rose's tenure with our label has come under question, as he is one of the most, as well as his band being some of the most, profitable artists that we could utilize to bring up the markets of music in the financial year of 2008/2009.

Yours Sincerely

Ms.-----------------------
Interscope/Geffen Records.

_____________________________ ______

CDsongs.nfo_1

Finalized tracks on hard rock band "Guns N' Roses" - "Chinese Democracy" as of January 2008.

• Chinese Democracy
• I.R.S
• Better
• Sorry
• Prostitute
• No Way Back
• Seven
• Madagascar
• The Blues
• Broken
• MotorMouth
• If The World
• Atlas Shrugged
• Friend or Foe?
• T.W.A.T (There Was A Time)

DVDchapters.nfo_2

Bonus DVD to contain performances from World Tour of 2006/2007

• Welcome To The Jungle (Live at Los Angeles, USA, Gibson Ampitheatre)
• The Blues (Live At Los Angeles, USA, Gibson Ampitheatre)
• My Michelle (Live At Donington, England , Download Festival)
• Better (Live At Manchester England, Evening News Arena)
• I.R.S (Live At Nόrburgring, Germany, Rock Am Ring)
• Prostitute (Live At Rehearsals)
• Interview with the Band
• GuitarWorld feature on Robin Finck
• Exclusive - MTV Cribs - Richard Fortus

NEWGNR.COM/FORUM/INDEX
Old 02-17-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's fooled me one too many times. I'm just not going to believe it 'til I hold the shiny disc in my hands.
Old 02-17-08, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cover of the disc should be a picture of Axl flipping the camera the bird...lol
Old 09-26-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Best Buy Snags Guns N' Roses Album Exclusive

Best Buy is set to be the exclusive retailer for Guns N' Roses decade-plus-in-the-making new album "Chinese Democracy" before year's end, sources close to the situation tell Billboard. Some details of the deal are still being worked out, including the release date.

The news brings a semblance of closure to the bizarre history of "Democracy," which Guns N' Roses has been working on since the mid-1990s. Since then, every original member of the once mighty group has left besides vocalist Axl Rose, and millions of dollars have been spent working on the new material.

"Democracy" was most recently on the Interscope release schedule in March 2007. The endless delays encountered by the project reached comic levels this spring, when soft drink manufacturer Dr Pepper offered to send a free can of the beverage to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" were to arrive anytime during the calendar year 2008.

In June, nine purported "mastered, finished" tracks from the album were leaked online, prompting an FBI investigation into their source. A sign "Chinese Democracy" was perhaps finally nearing release came in July, when the band agreed to debut new track "Shackler's Revenge" in the video game "Rock Band 2," which hit stores earlier this month.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart in 2007, much to the chagrin of other merchants, but the album was a runaway hit, having sold 3.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 09-27-08, 06:47 AM

Still not getting my hopes up.
They might have acquired the rights, but Axl still might be able to postpone it's really (indefinetly).
Old 09-27-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well....interesting. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 09-27-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dr Pepper may actually have to pay up! Though I doubt it.
Old 09-27-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shackler's Revenge - the new song from Chinese Democracy, on Rock Band 2 is now on youtube

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=WzMlCHxuZfo

I actually like it quite a bit.
Old 09-27-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didnt' like it. Almost came off as a dance song at points.
Old 09-27-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"If the World" is reportedly set to play over the closing credits of Ridley Scott's Body of Lies.
Old 09-27-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
Shackler's Revenge - the new song from Chinese Democracy, on Rock Band 2 is now on youtube

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=WzMlCHxuZfo

I actually like it quite a bit.
was on youtube....missed it
Old 09-27-08, 05:50 PM
Banned

I just picked up the book "Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses" by Stephen Davis.

I believe it just came out. If you are at all interested in Guns N' Roses you have to check this book out. The stories are incredible. I was also able to pull up some Youtube videos of them before they made it out in LA clubs, based on references in the book. Such a shame that this once epic band went to shit, and if you read the book you'll know even more than you thought possible as the cause.
Old 09-27-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I've just read Mick Wall's GNR book but it seemed copy/pasted together. I have Watch You Bleed on reserve at the library
Old 09-27-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have been waiting for this one ever since i read somewhere that the author was working on it.
Old 09-27-08, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
I need to check out that book. Thanks for the info.

I just gave Shackler's Revenge a few listens. I was skeptical, but after a few listens I do kinda like most of it. Color me surprised. The second deep voice is kinda weird.
Old 09-28-08, 11:18 PM
Banned

By the time this thing comes out China will have actually become a democracy.
Old 09-28-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I still can't think of this as being a Guns & Roses album. With the constant line-up changes and session musicians, this can't be anything more than an Axl Rose solo album.
Old 09-29-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MaxMFP
By the time this thing comes out China will have actually become a democracy.
That joke is almost as old as the material on this album.
Old 09-30-08, 09:41 AM

After hearing the tracks that were leaked a couple months ago... Best Buy can have this album all they want... I wouldnt waste my time putting it on the shelf of the few record stores that still exist!
Old 09-30-08, 06:46 PM
Banned

What are the chances that at least Axl, Izzy and Slash get back together for an album/tour? Thats the only way I'll really be interested in them outside of their 80s and early 90s work.
Old 09-30-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by MACD23
What are the chances that at least Axl, Izzy and Slash get back together for an album/tour? Thats the only way I'll really be interested in them outside of their 80s and early 90s work.
I'd say 50/50 at this point.
Old 09-30-08, 10:31 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess that was the Eagles wasn't it?
Old 09-30-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

??? No love for Duff?
Old 10-01-08, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
??? No love for Duff?
Much love for Duff.

Old 10-01-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Info from The Playlist: Guns N' Roses will debut “If the World” in Ridley Scott's Body of Lies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.