Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Artists going solo - selfish?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie Vedder how dare you!

When artists go solo is it really a big slap in the face to the rest of the band? Sure, there are those occasions where the band is on the verge of breaking up anyway.

To me it just comes off as selfish and a bit egotistical.
Old 02-16-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
When artists go solo is it really a big slap in the face to the rest of the band?
Depends.

It seems kind of pointless to me when the solo album really doesn't sound any different than what the band itself has been putting out, but I can see the appeal of wanting to try something other than the same old routine or even just taking the chance to work with different people.
Old 02-16-08, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Eddie Vedder how dare you!
Eddie is actually the last of the band to go solo (or have a side project band).

I do not think it is a slap in the face to the rest of the band when someone wants to go solo. Sometimes they go solo to try something different. Sometimes it is to keep the creative juices going when the rest of the band would rather have some time off. Sometimes it is just to take a break from the band. Sometimes it is to play with other musicians/friends.
Old 02-16-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Sometimes they do solo albums because they like to work more than the band prefers to work. Can't fault them for not wanting to sit on their ass.
Old 02-17-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there's different scenarios. The band breaks up? Okay. The "I wanna do a solo album but when the tours over, let's start work on the next cd" (Stevie Nicks, Phil Collins, Gwen Stefani, Rob Thomas, etc...) scenario? Fine. But what Justin Timberlake did, I found selfish. He led the other four guys to believe the solo album was a stopgap thing he wanted to do before the next N'Sync album, leading the four of them to become hasbeens by not working and sitting and waiting for Justin to come back, and then at the end of the tour decides "you know, I make enough money on my own, you losers can kiss my butt", turning his former bandmates into hasbeens. (In comparison, while 98 Degrees has been inactive for a number of years, since they've all been doing their own thing, with Drew doing Dancing With The Stars and Jeff and Nick doing the solo thing and Justin going into politics, all four members, including Nick Lachey, have said that the group didn't split up and will get back together when the time is right).
Old 02-17-08, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, because No Doubt has brought out so many albums since Stefani went solo.

Sorry, I lump her into the Timberlake category.
Old 02-17-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gwen and No Doubt were in talks about getting back into the studio, but now that she's pregnant, who knows? She has already said that the next album she releases will be with No Doubt, not solo.
Old 02-17-08, 03:25 AM

I had to look up Eddie Vedder's solo career (I lost track of him and Pearl Jam a long time ago), and it consists of a few songs on film soundtracks. He's doing a short club tour in April for a few dates, related to the soundtrack work, and the tickets are around $65, which isn't a lot. He goes back to Pearl Jam to appear at the Bonnaroo Festival in June. That doesn't seem like too much of a solo career.
Old 02-17-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I completely understand this. I play in a hard rock band but am currently recording a solo record of my own material (playing all the instruments).

This is NOT because I think I'm better than my bandmates. To the contrary, I'm not.

However, I write slower songs, acoustic songs, etc, that just don't fit in with the style of the band. Rather than just dump them, I want to develop them, and get them down.

I'm sure it's the same for guys like Eddie. Most of his solo stuff would never make a Pearl Jam record. But they are still good songs.

I'm not comparing myself to a guy like Eddie, but I do understand where he and other artists are coming from.