Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mel Galley has terminal cancer

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Mel Galley has terminal cancer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Mel Galley (Trapeze/Whitesnake) has terminal cancer

Guitar legend Mel Galley (Whitesnake, Trapeze, Phenomena) - who announced he was ill with cancer on February 7th - has issued the following statement:

"Well, as some of you may already have read in the press or seen/heard on other websites, the verdict from the doctors following a full MRI scan is that my condition is terminal. Rather than sit around feeling sorry for myself I intend to make the most of the time I have left with my family and friends. I am blessed with a fantastic wife and two sons who I am very proud of. For now I am just aiming to make my 60th birthday in March.

I have enjoyed a great life, travelled the world having some amazing experiences, met all sorts of people and played with some of the best musicians there are.

Back in the late 60s when I first started playing in local bands I never imagined how far I would go and the shows I would play. I seemed to tour non-stop with Glenn and Dave in Trapeze in the early 70s. We supported The Kinks and The Moody Blues while still very young men, had people like John Bonham come on and do encores with us, and the likes of ZZ Top as our support act. We loved to play live and the fans seemed to love us, especially in the Southern States of the USA - HELLO TEXAS!

Playing on the same bill as The Eagles and The Rolling Stones, with Montrose opening, in front of 100,000 fans in Dallas in 1975 and headlining the 1983 Monsters of Rock Festival while in Whitesnake are two shows that I will treasure. There have been so many highlights that it's impossible to name them all.

The albums Trapeze recorded have, in my opinion, stood the test of time very well indeed. Each one has its own special moments and writing and playing with each line-up was enjoyable, rewarding and fun. Glenn still occasionally throws in a Trapeze song during his shows and they sound as fresh as if written yesterday. That tells me how good they are. The fact that he has always had one of the most amazing voices you have ever heard helps too! God Bless You Glenn.

Due to my arm injury my time in Whitesnake sadly only resulted in one album. Playing with those guys was a buzz and both line-ups I was involved in contained tremendous musicians. I'm sure John Sykes and I could have written some great songs together. It was so nice to meet him again recently over 20 years later and to see him still playing the same Gibson as back then.

Over the last 12 months, since the launch of my page and the Trapeze page, I have regained my love for playing and taken real pleasure from reading the comments and messages you have all left. I have heard from people I had lost touch with years ago. It has been fantastic and I thank you all. I honestly didn't realize the amount of people out there who still remember or have discovered my music. I just wish I could have had the chance to play the shows I had planned for this year.

Thank you all so much for your love and support over the years.

You Are The Music – I was just in a band!"
That's a serious bummer. He co-wrote some great bluesy hard rock songs in Whitesnake, and Trapeze was a really good 70's Hard Rock band.

And I agree with him - he and John Sykes could have come up with some BRILLIANT stuff together. It's a shame that Galley's arm injury got in the way. Now it looks like there won't be any more music from Mel at all.

I just hope he can enjoy the time he has left with his family.

Last edited by B5Erik; 02-16-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of him, but that's really sad. Hope he has much time left to spend with his family.
Old 02-15-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Mel co-wrote half of Whitesnake's Slide it In album (including the song, "Love Ain't No Stranger") and played lead on some of it (John Sykes came in later and re-recorded a few of the songs, but some of Mel's lead playing remained on the album).

Here are some links...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Galley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapeze_%28band%29

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...pfqxql5ldhe~T1

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...foxqu5ldae~T32

Last edited by B5Erik; 02-15-08 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I loved his work in TRAPEZE. Sad news, indeed.
Old 02-17-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see that his relationship with Whitesnake was in their really early days.

Anyway, he's almost 60, he's lived pretty close to a full life. It's sad that he's about to die of course, but he's not really that young.

Last edited by Heat; 02-17-08 at 11:33 PM.