Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Almost Great Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Almost Great Movies

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost Great Movies

I was looking a the "We own the Night" thread and it occurred to me that the movie had all the components of a great film, but it wasn't quite there. It had a great cast, competent director, o.k. plot and decent pacing, mood, yet it didn't quite come together. It even had few interesting scenes.

My question is, what other movies were almost great? And where did it fall short?
Old 02-14-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Sunshine is a definitely one. Very cool film, but a pretty big letdown of an ending.

As far as other recent films, I would also name American Gangster and There Will Be Blood.

With AG, it's very much like WOTN. Awesome cast, awesome director, yet the film is very pedestrian IMO.

With TWBB, it needed some editing. I like a lot of what was done, but it was just too long for the material. Ending was great though.
Old 02-14-08, 12:30 AM
Banned

Not sure about "Almost Great", but these, while good, had the potential to be great:

American Gangster
The Kingdom
The Kite Runner
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
The Man From Earth
First Snow
The Science of Sleep
Old 02-14-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Will Penny

It features Charlton Heston in one of his best (and most subdued) roles. A real modern western that hits all the notes right - except the villains. Straight out of a western spoof they don't fit the realistic style or tone of the film. Both the acting and the script make these guys look like cartoon villains rather than the real people that inhabit the rest of the movie.

Shame. It's still a good movie, but it could have - and SHOULD have - been great.
Old 02-14-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
American History X
Equilibrium

There Will Be Blood is a great movie, I think it's right up there with City of God for top film of the decade.
Old 02-14-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Michael Clayton, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Into The Wild could have been "great" if Sean Penn was a little more even handed.

There Will Be Blood IS great. I've just seen it again today, and, if possible, I loved it even more on a second screening. The final scene gets me giddy, as do many other points throughout.
Old 02-14-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Country For Old Men. The best movie I'd seen all year, up until the last 15 minutes.

And There Will Be Blood? A snooze-fest for me. I recommend people to stay away from that one, I can't understand the praise.

= J
Old 02-14-08, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
No Country For Old Men. The best movie I'd seen all year, up until the last 15 minutes.

And There Will Be Blood? A snooze-fest for me. I recommend people to stay away from that one, I can't understand the praise.

= J
wow, 'blood' is far FAR from a 'snooze fest'.
Old 02-14-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
The Empire Strikes Back. Who would believe Vader is really Luke's father? I mean, come on!
Old 02-14-08, 04:24 AM

Jarheads. The material was great but fell short in it's execution.
Old 02-14-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Last year's 3:10 to Yuma. I believe it was already mentioned. All the ingredients were there for greatness, but I just didn't like the way it all came together in the end.

Transformers was fun but could have been so much better. Get a better plot/script and lose the silly pee pee humor.

The Departed is another "almost there" movie. Terrific acting, engrossing story. The ending just ruined it.

Last edited by taa455; 02-14-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Gone Baby Gone - Great plot, solid characters, direction, etc; could have used a rewrite and while a solid directorial debut, could have been great with a more seasoned director.

Michael Clayton - Same movie with a different title snipping out some of Clayton's largely uninteresting personal life and you've got a great flick.

No Country and There Will Be Blood were fine how they were and are great movies.

One of my favorite movies, Dark City, suffers a bit in the last 10 minutes - very close to greatness but it doesn't quite hit it.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-14-08 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kingdom of Heaven - fine performances, well directed, great cinematography, terrific cast, shitty plot.
Old 02-14-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

War of the Worlds - The usual "happy" Spielberg ending ruined what could have been a masterpiece of sci-fi cinema.
Old 02-14-08, 09:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
War of the Worlds - The usual "happy" Spielberg ending ruined what could have been a masterpiece of sci-fi cinema.
yeah, I was thinking, "what, he's still alive? RETARDED!!"
Old 02-14-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
^^ That movie had more problems than just the ending.
Old 02-14-08, 09:16 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
^^ That movie had more problems than just the ending.
depends on what you consider "problems" for a movie like this. it's a silly action movie.
Old 02-14-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
Michael Clayton, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Into The Wild could have been "great" if Sean Penn was a little more even handed.

There Will Be Blood IS great. I've just seen it again today, and, if possible, I loved it even more on a second screening. The final scene gets me giddy, as do many other points throughout.
explain to me your issue with Into The Wild if you would..

-NiCK
Old 02-14-08, 09:53 AM
Banned

I agree with Sunshine and Jarhead...
Also, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Old 02-14-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for Jarhead... I would say American Gangster and Zodiac needed some editing tweaks and these would have been really great movies imo.
Old 02-14-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like Stranger than Fiction, but it feels like it was missing that little something that could have made it great. I have no idea what that would be though, so probably not a good example.
Old 02-14-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
yeah, I was thinking, "what, he's still alive? RETARDED!!"

I agree that this could have been a great Sci-fi film but IMO once they were hiding out in the house it turned into one giant cliché of every other Sci-Fi film ever made. It was all downhill from that point of the film.
Old 02-14-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce. It's got such a badass premise but the execution and length made it drag a bit and didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for. It's plenty kick ass, don't get me wrong, but it's just missing something to take it to that next level.
Old 02-14-08, 02:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce. It's got such a badass premise but the execution and length made it drag a bit and didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for. It's plenty kick ass, don't get me wrong, but it's just missing something to take it to that next level.
Good choice. Hooper was never that strong as a director, I thought.

By the way, I don't believe I've seen you around before, KillerCannibal. Unfortunately, I have a hard time taking you seriously with such a username. Cannibalism is no laughing matter, sir!
Old 02-14-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Good choice. Hooper was never that strong as a director, I thought.

By the way, I don't believe I've seen you around before, KillerCannibal. Unfortunately, I have a hard time taking you seriously with such a username. Cannibalism is no laughing matter, sir!
Sure it is. Haven't you seen Cannibal: The Musical? It's a whimsical perversion!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.