Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Japanese film director Ichikawa dies at 92

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 10:47 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

TOKYO (AFP) — Film director Kon Ichikawa, who took the lead in Japan's post-war cinema industry, died of pneumonia at a Tokyo hospital. He was 92.

"Director Ichikawa was hospitalised on January 24 after complaining about feeling of smothering, but passed away early today, seen by his family," film company Toho said in a statement.

After debuting as a film director in 1948, Ichikawa won the International Critics Award at the Cannes Film Festival for his documentary about the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games titled "Tokyo Olympiad," Kyodo News said.

He was also known for such films as "The Burmese Harp" about a Japanese soldier who stays in Burma as a monk after World War II to comfort the spirits of soldiers who had died.

Ichikawa also received an award for cultural merit from the Japanese government in 1994 and received a lifetime achievement award at the Montreal World Film Festival in 2001, Kyodo said.
Old 02-13-08, 10:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh and I just watched 'The Burmese Harp'

RIP
Old 02-13-08, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP, one of the world's greats.

His story is interesting. Began as an animator, his wife wrote most of their scripts, and he was an innovator when it came to film editing. He was a great inspiration to Shunji Iwai, director of "All About Lily Chou-Chou," and Iwai's most recent film is a personal documentary about Ichikawa, which was released on DVD last year with a 2nd disc of a long talk between the two.
Old 02-13-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a coincidence .. I started 'The Burmese Harp' about 2 weeks ago and still need to finish it. What a horrible way of a reminder to complete the film.

Brillian film maker. He will be missed. RIP Ichikawa ....
Old 02-13-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Dora Heita is a darned entertaining samurai movie.

Ichikawa co-wrote it with Akira Kurosawa, Keisuke Kinoshita, and Masaki Kobayashi when they started their own production company. Unfortunately, the commercial failure of Kurosawa's Dodesukaden put an end to the company and the script, while finished, went unfilmed for almost 30 years before the only surviving partner, Ichikawa, finally got the backing to make it happen.

He directed it himself and made a fine movie.

Even if he had done nothing else in his career, bringing that script back to life after that long would have earned him my respect and admiration.
Old 02-13-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fires on the Plane" (the only film of his I've seen) is a magnificent movie, and one obviously made by a great talent.

I think I'll finally watch "The Burmese Harp" now.