Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The "How-To-Pick-What-To-Watch-Now" Thread.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 05:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

I get so jaded and frustrated when I look at my now smaller selection (since my dvd's are in storage, but I have convenient access to them) and can't decide what to watch next, and this is from a pool of 30ish!.

I look and look and I know we've discussed before, but I need some tried and true steps as to what and how to decide to watch next and be at peace with that decision. It is just so aggravating. I literally get exasperated as to what I feel like or what i am in the mood for, i can't just freggin' pick and be happy, i have to think and think and....

please help!!
Old 02-12-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Roy Scheider just died, so I'm watching all of his films I own. Other than keeping up with the dead pool I usually just get into a genre-groove and keep on it until I feel like something else. Although, that's easy for me to do with over 2300 DVDs to choose from.
Old 02-12-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol this question kinda reminds me of another similar question... how to decide what to eat?
Old 02-12-08, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can definitely relate OP. I have about 2500 titles and many I have never watched but still it drives me crazy trying to pick something to watch.
What has been a fantastic help is the Academy Award movie challenge which has gotten me to watch many films I ave had for a good long while but have never a chance to until I started participating in this "challenge". We need one of these "challenges" more than just a a few times a year.....
What are all of the "challenges we got on here"? I know the Academy Awards is one and the Horror movie challenge but are there any others that occur annually?
Old 02-12-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I, too suffer from this sickness.
I don't have a lot of time to watch movies and what happens to me a lot is I will spend so much time trying to decide which movie to watch that I end up not having enough time left to watch anything.
Old 02-12-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mix in a huge collection with free rentals.... lethal.
Old 02-12-08, 09:00 PM

I was having this same problem. I've got about 2150 or so, with literally hundreds I've never seen at all before. When I would have time to watch one, I would agonize over what I want to watch. Finally, I said screw it. I would go through each shelf or stack or whatever, and the first one that caught my eye and whether I felt "in the mood" for it or not, I threw it in. It's actually been working out pretty well so far. I marathoned four of them last night, and all of them were surprisingly better than I thought they would be, save for Hills Have Eyes 2. That one just sucked.
Old 02-12-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
me too...

i only have over 1000... maybe around ~1200...

very few, less than 5, that i haven't watched yet...

but i have a hell of a time too...

i will re-watch a Tarkovsky many times if it takes more than few minutes to choose...

i watch the Sword films... 'Samurai Trilogy', 'Sword Of Doom', 'Ronin Gai', 'Hara Kiri', 'Kill! Kill! Kill!', 'Yojimbo', etc. a lot too...
Old 02-12-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I, too suffer from this sickness.
I don't have a lot of time to watch movies and what happens to me a lot is I will spend so much time trying to decide which movie to watch that I end up not having enough time left to watch anything.
Wow, I have this exact same problem. I'll decide that I have two hours or so to watch a movie, and by the time I've actually decided on one to watch (I have a collection of around 700 DVDs, about 300 of which are unwatched) I've run out of time to watch it.

It's really quite sad.
Old 02-12-08, 10:11 PM

First World Problems
Old 02-12-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I just go through and pick out about 8 to 10 titles from my collection, stack them conveniently near the DVD player, and gradually watch them until through (which could take weeks). Then I repeat.
Old 02-12-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Always carry a notepad with yourself.
When you're away from your collection and a movie-craving comes to mind, jot it down.
Then watch it the next time you are sitting at your home theatre.
Old 02-12-08, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I'm trying to get through my collection I have most of my new DVDs stacked by my computer (where I watch most things... occasionally I'll watch things on big screen). Rentals always come first though but when I don't have any of those I just grab something off the pile. Right now I'm trying not to rewatch anything until everything is watched/rated. At that point I have a stack of ones I'm starting to collect that I'm thinking about getting rid of. I'll go through those and see whether or not I want to hang on to them.
Old 02-13-08, 08:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe.
Mix in a huge collection with free rentals.... lethal.
rentals are the best, i actually feel relief when i rent which isn't often, but at least from BBV where i get i have a time limit and those are the ones that go in instantly. i am looking very forward to renting a few this weekend bc i will have to watch those and not sit there pondering what to choose from in my collection.
Old 02-13-08, 09:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
it's easy now with the second annual Academy Award Challenge going on - look in my collection see what's either won or been nominated and I'm good to go
Old 02-13-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by domino harvey
First World Problems
Old 02-13-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
This is a pretty common problem, and not just with dvds. I know this isn't the book forum, but this is a really interesting book on just this topic.

The Paradox of Choice
Old 02-13-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My movie database, Movie Collector, has a random thing but I usually just go in order of what I haven't seen yet. If it's in binders, I work my way from front to back. If it's on the shelf, I go alphabetical.

It does help get through stuff that I might just keep putting off forever, like Asylum movies or other straight to video indie stuff that usually sucks.
Old 02-13-08, 02:08 PM

I always have this problem...while my collection is not as large as some of you guys (300 or so) I still run into this. What I usally do is one of 3 things. 1) Have a friend/s over and let them pick. 2) Start my own marathon. I'll watch all the movies I have by one actor or director. 3) As dumb as this sounds I'll just close my eyes and point. Which ever movie it is I watch it. Most times when none of this works I just default to watching Simpsons.
Old 02-13-08, 06:05 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I can definitely relate OP. I have about 2500 titles and many I have never watched but still it drives me crazy trying to pick something to watch.
What has been a fantastic help is the Academy Award movie challenge which has gotten me to watch many films I ave had for a good long while but have never a chance to until I started participating in this "challenge". We need one of these "challenges" more than just a a few times a year.....
What are all of the "challenges we got on here"? I know the Academy Awards is one and the Horror movie challenge but are there any others that occur annually?
There are the 2 you mentioned, and then there is a Holiday Challenge that incorporates Thanksgiving and Christmas too.
Old 02-13-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like this is my first day in a support group. I thought I was alone! (tear) I have the same problem.

"Hello, my name is Mike, and I am a DVDaholoic and an indecisive title chooser."

The recent Holiday Movie Challenge didn't help a whole lot because I focused almost solely on TV shows on cable, so I didn't catch a lot of movies in that time frame. The Academy Award Movie Challenge has definitely helped make my decisions. I decided to re-watch all 6 Star Wars movies again.

Without the challenges, I have a few things I do. I have a DVD rack that I put titles up there that at some point I have told myself I want to watch. That way I kind of have a starting point when I need to decide. A lot of times when I come back to the rack, though, I'm not as keen to watch them anymore. Other times I will choose a movie with sequels, so I automatically have the next few movies chosen for me already. Another thing that is semi-conscious / semi-unconscious is that if I see a movie by a certain director or has certain actor(s) in it, I will lean towards the movies with that same cast/crew.

The last thing that I just started doing is keeping track of my oldest titles (5-10) that I haven't watched yet and try to pick one of those to watch. Right now my oldest title is "The Mummy Returns" at #51/1200+, so it may be time to watch that! I bought it way back in 2001 (!)
Old 02-13-08, 11:05 PM

I'm finally making progress on my unwatched movie pile. I actually keep all the unwatched DVDs on a separate section of the DVD rack, which gives a scary visual when it gets 4 shelves deep.

I also have all the unwatched movies marked in my tracking software, so I can pull up a list of just the unwatched ones and scroll through until something catches my eye.

Amazingly, movie trailers have made the biggest difference. I was really bored one weekend and grabbed as many trailers as I could find for the unwatched movies, then threw them in a folder. Now I just start scanning through trailers until something looks interesting, then go watch it.
Old 02-13-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
This is a pretty common problem, and not just with dvds. I know this isn't the book forum, but this is a really interesting book on just this topic.

The Paradox of Choice
thanks, that actually sounds fantastic! i will, however, have to squeeze it somewhere into my current list of not-yet-read books though
Old 02-14-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Copy & paste your unwatched titles into the List Randomizer at random.org and you have yourself an instant queue -or- Use the Movie Pick button if you're a DVD Profiler user.
Old 02-14-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
When in doubt........Big Lebowski

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.