Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35573

What I'm confused about is...didn't they already do this, with the Clone Wars shorts on Cartoon Network?

What's the difference?
Old 02-12-08, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
No Tartakovsky.

Old 02-12-08, 05:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
No Tartakovsky.

thank christ!
Old 02-12-08, 06:59 AM

It's an entirely different series with each episode being a normal 1/2 hour show instead of a 2 minute short. Plus the first 4 episodes will debut in theaters in August.

Here's more info on Movieweb

Last edited by Star Wars Guy; 02-12-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No Tartakovsky.

And here I thought we were in for some new Thunderbirds action!
Old 02-12-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I kinda like the style... although it does have a "cheap" look too it in some shots. (love Obi-Wan's look) Not particularly impressed with the voice acting although I guess we can expect good sound fx right? Probably gonna sit this one out and wait for the potential Blu-Ray.
Old 02-12-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Legos with the logo are already out.
Old 02-12-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
"Returning characters include Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Padme Amidala, along with brand-new characters such as Anakin's padawan learner, Ahsoka."
So he had a padawan that somehow never even got so much as a mention in the movies? Seems like a weird thing to add in...
Old 02-12-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Those Cartoon Network shows were better than any of the Star Wars movies.
Old 02-12-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ytrez
Those Cartoon Network shows were better than any of the Star Wars movies.
I hope you meant prequels.
Old 02-12-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm shocked Warner Bros is releasing this. It's gonna be weird not seeing/hearing the 20th Century Fox fanfare before it starts.
Old 02-12-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you meant prequels.
The Clone Wars shorts weren't even that good, and this is a silly idea Lucas. I'm shocked they even thought it was a good idea to release this in theaters. I've lost any faith I had in Lucas moving on a doing new films. He's too consumed by Star Wars and can't let it go.
Old 02-12-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Theatrical for this? Not so sure about that. I like the idea of a new CW series, but I don't think this "pilot" needs to be in theaters. Still, if it looks cool enough I, much like many of you, will be there to see it.
Old 02-12-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I could have accepted the wooden acting, the poor dialogue, the short-shrifting of Maul, etc, etc, if Lucas had just given us the damn Clone Wars on the big screen in the prequels. A simple offhand comment in the original film promised so much, and Lucas didn't even try to deliver. Tartakovsky's 2 hours of Clone Wars captured more of the feel of the OT to me, than any of the prequels ever did.

I am very stoked to see this, and it will be good to see Star Wars back on the big screen.
Old 02-12-08, 12:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
So he had a padawan that somehow never even got so much as a mention in the movies? Seems like a weird thing to add in...
Continuity and Lucas are like oil and water, they don't mix after the Prequels. I just remember seeing Padme die at childbirth in ROTS and wondering, "Didn't Leia say to Luke she died while I was very young during ROTJ?"
Old 02-12-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
Continuity and Lucas are like oil and water, they don't mix after the Prequels. I just remember seeing Padme die at childbirth in ROTS and wondering, "Didn't Leia say to Luke she died while I was very young during ROTJ?"

And she did. You'll note Leia's memories are very vague, and more like impressions, than actual memories. Like, say, a latent Jedi might subconciuosly pick up on through the Force.
Old 02-12-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And she did. You'll note Leia's memories are very vague, and more like impressions, than actual memories.
Yes, but the more logical choice would've been to have Padme live and then leave it a mystery as to how she died. But nooo.... Lucas made decisions which presented a whole host of other problems... when the obvious ones, while maybe not as "creative" or dramatic would've been much preferred.
Old 02-12-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But Vader needed to have the guilt of killing Padme within the context of the movies.
Old 02-12-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than impressions we get from Leia's responses, is there really any verbal indication from her she knew she was adopted?

Maybe her vague memories are of her adopted mother.

Luke's talking about their real mother, Leia of who she actually remembers?

Maybe a stretch.....
Old 02-12-08, 01:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Other than impressions we get from Leia's responses, is there really any verbal indication from her she knew she was adopted?

Maybe her vague memories are of her adopted mother.

Luke's talking about their real mother, Leia of who she actually remembers?

Maybe a stretch.....
In the ROTJ novel & The Annoted Screenplays, it gets more specific about Anakins wife and Leia. I will have to find the exact quotes, but it originally had Uncle Owen and Kenobi as brothers, and once Anakin loses to Ben on that volcano planet, Anakins wife (unamed at the time) is forced to split up the children by Yoda/Kenobi. She takes Leia to live with Bail on Alderran, and Luke is taken to live with Kenobis brother Owen. That is why Owen has such disdain for Kenobi in ANH, and calls him a crazy old wizard, for what he and Anakin had done as Jedis and gone to fight in the Clone Wars instead of staying back on Tatooine. Leia talks to Luke in the ROTJ novel about playing with her mother at a young age, even hiding from her as they would play games together, but she was very sad and it also says she did die when Leia was at a young age. Now this was all written in 1983.
Old 02-12-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Tartakovsky.

Originally Posted by buckee1
And here I thought we were in for some new Thunderbirds action!
Looks like Gary from Team America. "Everyone has The Force! The Force, The Force, The Force!"
Old 02-12-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm tired of Star Wars. According to the force.net, the plot may center around
Spoiler:
Jabba the Hut's Son (or Nephew)!!! Sweet. Just what people want.

And yea, Padme dying at childbirth was just a stupid move..but probably not the stupidest of the prequels..it.goes against ROTJ and the whole "but she can feel her through the Force" is just stupid. Its obvious to anyone watching ROTJ that when Leia said she "died when I was very young" she did not mean within 2 seconds of giving birth...that scene in ROTJ was actually a very nice scene - and dying of a "broken heart" was just a nice big final f you - well maybe the Vader screaming like a baby scene was worse.
Old 02-12-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought there were going to be both a cartoon and live action series - still no word on the latter?

I'm not really excited about it, I've been reading the Zahn Star Wars books, which have been far more enjoyable than the prequels. I actually would like them to do a film based on the KOTOR video games.
Old 02-12-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
I thought there were going to be both a cartoon and live action series - still no word on the latter?
That's still the plan... I believe the latter is scheduled for Fall 09. (at the earliest probably) There have been some small updates this past yr (100 episode plan, writing team being assembled, takes place between ep3 and 4, etc...)
Old 02-12-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Well, in Episode 2 he was still a padawan himself, and who's to say that this padawan will make it to Episode 3.

As for Leia's mother, how do we know that Bail Organa's wife didn't die young too?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.