Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Pages : [1] 2

MartinBlank
02-11-08, 08:57 PM
Sam Raimi is going back to his horror roots with his next movie, directing a low(er than Spider-Man 3's) budget supernatural thriller he cowrote with brother Ivan way back in 1992, right after they wrote Army of Darkness. Called Drag Me To Hell, the film is about someone who gets cursed (The Curse was the original title back in 92). "Sam calls it a 'spook-a-blast,' a wild ride with all the chills and spills that 'Evil Dead' delivered, without relying on the excessive violence of that film," Raimi's producing partner Rob Tapert said. "When one has done three very expensive movies, they get used to eating caviar. Sam will have to ponder what it means to come down from the mountaintop for a moment."

Drag Me to Hell will be Raimi's first effort for Ghost House, the genre-oriented production company he and Tapert founded a couple of years ago and which has been steadily churning out mostly garbage. Judging by Tapert's description Drag Me To Hell sounds like yet another movie aimed at the babysitter crowd and hey, they need horror movies too. It's just going to be too bad if Raimi's genius for splatstick, reined in for years, doesn't get a chance to gallop back out in the great field of Three Stooges-influenced carnage. Tapert tells me to go fuck myself with my premature moaning about a PG-13 rated Sam Raimi horror movie: "The appeal to Sam on 'Drag Me to Hell' was returning to what he had once done and loved doing, which was entertaining a very specific group of fans and providing a roller coaster ride for them," Tapert said. "He doesn't have the enormous pressure here that goes with handling a hundreds of millions of dollars franchise."

What's interesting is that Raimi is plucking a script he wrote 15 years ago and I am assuming not doing a bit of editing on it. After all, there's a strike on, right? The film is scheduled to start shooting early next year, and he can't assume the strike will be over by then. I'm pretty curious about this whole thing.

But speaking of franchises, Variety seems to think that Raimi's a lock for The Hobbit. I think so too, although a lot of names are being thrown around right now. Obviously a lot can change between now and the start of those two films, but I'm interested in seeing Peter Jackson being the boss of Sam Raimi, the guy whose style influenced him beyond measure on his first few films. The student has become the master indeed.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/13013/1/HOW-SAM-RAIMI-GOT-HIS-GROOVE-BACK/Page1.html

JUNO IN HELL

* By Jeremy Smith
* Published 02/9/2008
* News

If Sam Raimi's long-awaited return to horror, Drag Me to Hell, is, as Rob Tapert classified it last December, "... a wild ride with all the chills and spills that Evil Dead delivered, without relying on the excessive violence of that film," then I'm going to assume he plans on torturing the living Ash out of his lead. Groovy. That he's chosen to cast a female in the Bruce Campbell role is interesting; that he's settled on Academy Award-nominee Ellen Page is the second greatest thing I've read all day (behind the Ricky Gervais/Matt Robinson screenplay for This Side of the Truth).

Raimi calls Drag Me to Hell a "spook-a-blast". I'd prefer an addition to the "spam in a cabin" genre, but anything that doesn't entail a bunch of folks with super powers begging each other's forgiveness is fine by me. Variety's Michael Fleming describes the film as a "morality tale about the unwitting recipient of a supernatural curse". Somehow, "spook-a-blast" is more specific. While Page is also attached to Drew Barrymore's roller derby flick, Whip It, Fleming claims that this will be her next movie (it's currently scheduled to begin production on March 17th out here in Los Angeles). You didn't need another reason to adore Page, but here you are.

Universal Pictures will finance and distribute Drag Me to Hell. If this is truly a down-and-dirty (in terms of scale) horror film, I wouldn't be surprised if it's ready for theaters before the end of the year.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/13592/1/JUNO-IN-HELL/Page1.html

I did a search and didn't find anything on this. If this is a repost, my bad.

Robert
02-11-08, 09:12 PM
Its good to see Sam getting back to his low budget pre-Spider-man 3 $250 million days.

Jackskeleton
02-11-08, 09:48 PM
He's got a lot on his plate along with producing the rape filled Wizard's First Rule.

islandclaws
02-12-08, 11:20 AM
Ellen Page? And I thought this sounded bad <i>before</i> they announced casting. Based on her previous roles I know what to expect here. Pass.

starseed1981
02-12-08, 11:33 AM
Meh..

NoirFan
10-28-08, 04:18 PM
Some new photos (http://www.mtv.com/photos/?fid=1597997&pid=3320242)

riotinmyskull
10-28-08, 05:24 PM
those photos look decent. lohman doesn't really do anything for me though.

MaxMFP
10-28-08, 06:02 PM
Why doesn't he just make Evil Dead 4 already for Chrissakes?! Everyone would much rather see Campbell in a Raimi film like this than that fucking Macintosh douchebag that ruined the last Die Hard

lopper
10-29-08, 01:39 PM
Why doesn't he just make Evil Dead 4 already for Chrissakes?! Everyone would much rather see Campbell in a Raimi film like this than that fucking Macintosh douchebag that ruined the last Die Hard

Speak for yourself.

The Evil Dead flicks did nothing for me, so if Raimi absolutely has to keep working in Hollywood, I'd rather he do something semi-original.

achau9598
10-29-08, 03:35 PM
Well darn .. By the looks of that one photo, Raimi has learned about rain scenes and wet shirts :(

project86
10-29-08, 04:29 PM
Speak for yourself.

The Evil Dead flicks did nothing for me, so if Raimi absolutely has to keep working in Hollywood, I'd rather he do something semi-original.
You can speak for yourself as well, because the majority of this board enjoys the Evil Dead series.

BJacks
10-29-08, 05:44 PM
Well darn .. By the looks of that one photo, Raimi has learned about rain scenes and wet shirts :(Still, can't complain too much. Here's the touched up version (ignore the "interview" snipe):

http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/movies/d/drag_me_to_hell/610x360.jpg

lopper
10-29-08, 08:26 PM
You can speak for yourself as well, because the majority of this board enjoys the Evil Dead series.

I did.

It's that philosophy that prevents me from speaking for "everybody" and "the majority of this board."

NoirFan
01-29-09, 06:45 PM
Here is a positive review (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/10665/tcid/1) from a recent test screening.

EdTheRipper
01-29-09, 07:30 PM
I'm looking pretty forward to this.

tylergfoster
01-29-09, 07:36 PM
Yeah, the reviews coming out of that test screening have all been good...I can't wait.

LickTheABCs
01-29-09, 10:38 PM
those photos look decent. lohman doesn't really do anything for me though.

I hear ya.. but I'd probably still banger.

Elpresidentepez
01-29-09, 11:18 PM
The 2008 San Diego Comic Con presentation was kinda blah until he showed a lengthy clip. It felt like evil dead; it was funny, gross, and twisted. I'm excited about this one.

Paul1957
03-03-09, 10:15 AM
Hereís another reason to show up in Austin later this month. Sam Raimi will debut his new horror movie Drag Me To Hell during the SXSW film festival. In an unprecedented move, this wonít even be a final version heís showing off, but a work in progress version. Itís not every filmmaker whoíd show their unfinished product to a general audience, but then the film-geek crowd that frequents SXSW isnít just any audience.

The screening happens at midnight on Sunday, March 15th in the fabulous Paramount theater. Raimi will actually be in attendance to watch along with the crowd, and presumably say a few words about his potentially awesome return to the horror genre.

redrum
03-11-09, 03:46 PM
trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810029193/video/12431635

EdTheRipper
03-11-09, 04:04 PM
Trailer looks pretty good. I'm in.

riotinmyskull
03-11-09, 04:14 PM
looks great. i really can't see how ellen page was considered for the role now.

Kicker_of_Elves
03-11-09, 04:25 PM
I'm in, when does it come out?

EdTheRipper
03-11-09, 04:40 PM
I'm in, when does it come out?

May 29.

Geofferson
03-11-09, 04:47 PM
Impressed with the trailer. :up:

Matthew Ackerly
03-11-09, 05:02 PM
Very impressive.

This is the kind of shit we need in the horror genre.. not remake upon remake.

islandclaws
03-11-09, 05:11 PM
Trailer looks good, if not somewhat generic in it's beats. I'm sure that won't be the case with the final film, though. I can't wait to see Raimi's trademark style applied to a new horror film. Count me in.

Solid Snake
03-12-09, 01:22 AM
Can't wait..not the best trailer but...i like this TRUE HORROR they speak of....god, I love Evil Dead 2....

<object width="450" height="238"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9446"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9446" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="238" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

MoviePage
03-12-09, 12:09 PM
I've heard from people who have seen the movie at advanced screenings that the trailer gives away FAR too much of the plot towards the end of the movie, so I'm avoiding it. Just an FYI for those who haven't watched it yet.

Pointyskull
03-12-09, 12:24 PM
Alison Lohman :drool:

Groucho
03-12-09, 12:45 PM
If the old woman has all these magical powers, certainly getting together enough money to pay her mortgage should be no issue. :lol:

toddly6666
03-13-09, 02:03 AM
It looks like Sam Raimi hooked up the old she-bitch witches from ARMY OF DARKNESS with a starring role in this movie. It looks entertaining.

http://lonestartimes.com/images/armyofdarkness_witch.jpg

ReduxGuy
03-14-09, 02:50 AM
I don't know. She-Bitch is actually much better looking than the Gypsy woman.

This looks like a step-up in Raimi's career after Spider-Man 3 - and also, I instantly geek out to any trailer that uses that one piece from Stargate - but I have to admit I laughed my ass off at the shot of Adriana Barraza with her eyes widened and her palms in the air 'cause it seems to me that - once again - Raimi's unbridled fanboy-ism for Hellraiser has once again left its mark.

http://www.cenobite.com/pix/hr2-channard04.jpg

TomOpus
03-14-09, 07:14 AM
Looks good. If he pulls this off I might forgive him a little bit for Spidey3.

Zen Peckinpah
03-14-09, 10:12 AM
Looks promising. If, indeed this gets a PG-13 rating it will hopefully continue the recent trend of giving the rating its balls back, much like The Dark Knight and (to a degree) Taken did.

chris_sc77
03-14-09, 10:19 AM
I'll pass. Nothing looks interesting at all about this one. Kinda surprised Raimi wasted his time with this.

riley_dude
03-14-09, 10:44 AM
Looks creepy.
The moral....don't always listen to your boss.

RocShemp
03-15-09, 03:32 PM
I've heard from people who have seen the movie at advanced screenings that the trailer gives away FAR too much of the plot towards the end of the movie, so I'm avoiding it. Just an FYI for those who haven't watched it yet.

Thanks for the warning.

RocShemp
03-15-09, 05:27 PM
Couldn't resist. Watched the trailer. The second half flashes by so fast that I bet if I saw any major spoilers, I didn't notice and wont remember.

That said, looks like a whole lot of fun. :up: The only bad thing is that I don't get much of an Evil Dead 2 (my favorite in the series) vibe that you all seem to be talking about. It reminds me of a more polished Evil Dead (which is not a bad thing).

Let's hope this does well enough to encourage studios to keep producing original horror films and not just remakes of varying quality.

JJE-187
03-15-09, 06:18 PM
Seen a preview before Last House and seemed like the standard Unborn/Eye/Uninvited/Shutter crap but i'll give it a shot like I have with all the others

Lara Means
03-16-09, 08:50 PM
Sorry, but this movie looks retarded. Raimi fanatics, much like Bruce Campbell fanatics, are too quick to praise their pieces of shit.

RocShemp
03-17-09, 12:11 AM
That's okay if you're not into, Lara Means. But you're too quick to judge. None of us are giving any opinion on the film itself because we haven't seen it. We're just saying that we like what's promised in the trailer and the positive reviews from those that have seen have us excited.

And Raimi "fanatics" don't praise all of his work. For Love Of The Game has many of his fans mixed and almost everyone (Raimi fans included) hates Spider-Man 3.

Drag Me To Hell is said to be like Evil Dead 2. In other words it'll be a gory and insane ride in horror/comedy territory. If that's not your cup of tea, that's okay. No need to piss on people who are into those kind of movies.

Shilex
03-17-09, 07:53 AM
Agreed RocShemp! Early word on this is that it's a great horror ride (ain't it cool news)! I enjoyed the first half of the trailer much more than the second half, but here's hoping that it's going to be a fun theater experience.

Paul1957
03-17-09, 09:29 AM
Here's a review of the early screening at SXSW:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/drag-me-hell-2009

RichC2
03-22-09, 11:03 AM
Looks like a lot of fun

Rival11
03-22-09, 12:26 PM
Don't mean to shit on the parade here but the trailer did nothing for me.

Looks like the standard polished-up, mainstream hollywood horror flick. I don't care if Raimi's name is attached to it or not - as of right now, the trailer didn't do a damn thing for me.

Supermallet
03-22-09, 01:23 PM
I'll pass. Nothing looks interesting at all about this one. Kinda surprised Raimi wasted his time with this.

Yeah, who wants to see Sam Raimi making a horror movie? :lol:

asianxcore
03-23-09, 05:11 AM
I was mixed about the trailer. Some really good scenes and then the scene where the denied loan starts it off made me laugh :)

Then again I'll definitely see it. Raimi behind the camera in a Horror film again has me sold.

Paul1957
03-31-09, 04:27 PM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp36/Chris-01/dragmetohell.jpg

riotinmyskull
03-31-09, 04:55 PM
terrible poster.

RocShemp
03-31-09, 05:22 PM
Not terrible but terribly bland.

aintnosin
03-31-09, 06:19 PM
This better not suck or the critics will have a field day with the title.

MartinBlank
03-31-09, 08:01 PM
What's it rated? IMDB's got nothin' and I didn't see anything in the trailer.

Rypro 525
03-31-09, 10:44 PM
am i the only one who thought that it was Kate Winslett in the trailer?

Solid Snake
03-31-09, 10:55 PM
....no. She kinda looks like the girl from Harry Potter though...

mmconhea
04-01-09, 09:23 AM
Can't wait!

mdc3000
04-01-09, 09:40 AM
I like that poster, it's pretty cool IMO. Hoping to hear about the rating on this one soon.

sauce07
04-01-09, 09:54 AM
we all know this is going to be PG-13, just come to terms with it. (I hope this bites me on the ass)

rexinnih
04-01-09, 10:36 AM
Looks good but I do get a "PG-13" vibe off of it. Not too much blood/gore.

islandclaws
04-01-09, 10:57 AM
Wow, that poster sucks.

Solid Snake
04-01-09, 11:16 AM
...that'd suck if it was PG-13. I'd like to see do another R Horror...

RocShemp
04-01-09, 11:48 AM
I remember rumbling of this being PG-13 way early on. But those died out rather quickly so I assumed they were just BS rumours. I certainly hope this is not PG-13.

Pointyskull
04-01-09, 11:51 AM
...that'd suck if it was PG-13. I'd like to see do another R Horror...

I'm not that concerned about the rating. I just want the film to be enjoyable.
In my experience, an R-rating is in no way a guarantee of a horror film's worth - good, bad or otherwise.

Bring it on - PG-13 or not...

Kicker_of_Elves
04-01-09, 11:59 AM
Great Tagline

Solid Snake
04-01-09, 12:22 PM
I'm not that concerned about the rating. I just want the film to be enjoyable.
In my experience, an R-rating is in no way a guarantee of a horror film's worth - good, bad or otherwise.

Bring it on - PG-13 or not...

True but...there are so few good modern R-rated horror films..all the latest "horror" are just shock flicks that are mediocre.

NoirFan
04-16-09, 05:26 PM
we all know this is going to be PG-13, just come to terms with it.

Yup (http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/latest-mpaa-ratings-bulletin-no-2065).

toddly6666
04-16-09, 11:35 PM
I don't think that PG-13 is going to matter because Drag Me To Hell is going to be such a great movie. Army of Darkness was rated R, but it probably would be a PG-13 film if it got released now since it's a comedy. I noticed that the MPAA board is laid back with horror movies for some weird reason. A recent horror film like The Unborn was rated PG-13. I didn't see that movie, but I thought that the trailer was disturbing and scary enough to get an R-Rating. The Sixth Sense was PG-13 (disturbing imagery of ghost girl with bloody brains and people getting lynched not rated R?)

RichC2
04-17-09, 09:29 AM
I don't think that PG-13 is going to matter because Drag Me To Hell is going to be such a great movie. Army of Darkness was rated R, but it probably would be a PG-13 film if it got released now since it's a comedy. I noticed that the MPAA board is laid back with horror movies for some weird reason. A recent horror film like The Unborn was rated PG-13. I didn't see that movie, but I thought that the trailer was disturbing and scary enough to get an R-Rating. The Sixth Sense was PG-13 (disturbing imagery of ghost girl with bloody brains and people getting lynched not rated R?)

Ratings don't rate how "scary" something is, all that matters is penetration (either by weapons or sexual), nudity and language. Blood/gore is usually fine (as it is on regular broadcast tv) as long as you don't get to see how it got there.

chris_sc77
04-17-09, 10:01 AM

Well Army of Darkness wasnt a horror movie. Its about as horror as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies are. Someone asked my in sarcastic fashion about who would wanna see Raimi do a horror film? Well I frankly dont care about him doing horror. Hes only made two Horror films (Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead II) and I dont think those are great horror films at all. They are enjoyable but not scary. This Drag me to Hell looks like any number of shitty horror films thats been released since oh, about 2002. If someone told me this was coming direct-to-dvd I wouldn't be shocked in the least. It looks that.....mediocre say. You know exactly what you are gonna get here.Ths just seems like a major miss-step from Raimi since I remember when he would actually make moves for adults and not middle-schoolers looking for something to do on a Friday night.

LickTheABCs
04-17-09, 02:10 PM
^^ According to a few people who have seen it, this isn't a horror movie either. In fact, it's said to be extremely funny. More like Army of Darkness than Evil Dead.

tylergfoster
04-17-09, 07:10 PM
Raimi said on AICN that the difference between R and PG-13 was a difference of less than ten seconds, so while I'd have preferred an R (and I bet when the "Unrated" DVD comes out, people will be pissed), I'm not going to get up in arms about a PG-13.

Supermallet
04-18-09, 04:27 AM
Well Army of Darkness wasnt a horror movie. Its about as horror as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies are. Someone asked my in sarcastic fashion about who would wanna see Raimi do a horror film? Well I frankly dont care about him doing horror. Hes only made two Horror films (Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead II) and I dont think those are great horror films at all. They are enjoyable but not scary. This Drag me to Hell looks like any number of shitty horror films thats been released since oh, about 2002. If someone told me this was coming direct-to-dvd I wouldn't be shocked in the least. It looks that.....mediocre say. You know exactly what you are gonna get here.Ths just seems like a major miss-step from Raimi since I remember when he would actually make moves for adults and not middle-schoolers looking for something to do on a Friday night.

What about The Gift?

Paul1957
05-06-09, 09:58 AM
TV Spots:

<object width="450" height="248"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10746"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10746" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="248"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="248"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10745"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10745" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="248"></embed></object>

RichC2
05-14-09, 03:45 PM
Not exactly top critics, and these reviews are old, but eh:

"Drag Me to Hell is the most fun I've had at the movies in years. It's destined to be a cult classic for all eternity." - Cole Smithey

"f you're just looking for a fun horror flick that's a little gross, a bit silly, and entirely entertaining, this is bound to be one of the year's finest genre offerings." FEARnet

"It's a visceral assault on the senses and will have you gasping for breath as the laughs and scares mount. Raimi directs with the confidence and flair of a genre master. " IGNUK

"In modern horror there's always a line they can't cross. Drag Me To Hell stabs it, sacrifices it, buries it in the back yard, and then gets away with it by giving the audience a wink and a nod." CinemaBlend

"[The] brand-new self-described "spook-a-blast" is a nasty little bit of cyanide fun, a new Sam Raimi horror film, and it is an indecent amount of fun." Moriarty (AICN)

"Lohman takes a Bruce Campbell-style beating through Raimi's wonderful world of swoop-cams, attacking furniture and pus-spewing creatures...Take a deep sigh of relief, horror fans. Sam's back!" Dread Central

"DRAG ME TO HELL was quite simply the most PERFECT horror film I've seen in a long, long while. Raimi stirs a delicious witches brew that blends gore, scares and fun into a perfect blend." Bloody Disgusting

I think this looks like fun :up:

Solid Snake
05-14-09, 04:03 PM
I think this means awesome...

OldBoy
05-15-09, 05:05 AM
this didn't appeal to me at first and the trailers didn't make it any better, but everyone seems to be loving it and i think it could be fun. i loved ED II and AoD and if anything like those it should be a campy good time.

Jaymole
05-15-09, 05:58 AM
Just saw this at a sneak preview and it was a fun little film...it seems Raimi substituted some gross-out moments for gore, as most of the moments that got audiences making noises were scenes of vomit, maggots, etc. There is a little gore, but I would have liked to see what Raimi would have done with an R rating.

The plot is not very original, and the film is pretty lightweight, but it is well directed and some of the scenes really made the audience jump...Raimi using sound quite a bit to achieve this.

The climatic confrontation (not the final scene) was something of a letdown as it simply did not live up to the other setpieces in the film, but overall I would give this *** out of 4 stars....a fun horror film.

islandclaws
05-15-09, 10:11 AM
For anyone interested there is a free sneak preview screening at the Arclight in Hollywood on May 19th and the 26th.

Details:
http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=16649

mhg83
05-19-09, 08:28 PM
i was watching a tv spot with my dad the other day. It looked good and we were finally excited to see someone come out with an R horror film. And then the rating hit :sad:

We both started yelling at the screen 'Bullshit! Sellout!'

This just pisses me off to no end. Are all horror films gonna be pg-13 from now on? I just wish someone in Hollywood would have the balls to make an all out hard R horror movie. Saw doesn't count anymore since the last one wasn't even pushing the gore and shock of the previous installments.

OldBoy
05-20-09, 09:10 AM
i was watching a tv spot with my dad the other day. It looked good and we were finally excited to see someone come out with an R horror film. And then the rating hit :sad:

We both started yelling at the screen 'Bullshit! Sellout!'

This just pisses me off to no end. Are all horror films gonna be pg-13 from now on? I just wish someone in Hollywood would have the balls to make an all out hard R horror movie. Saw doesn't count anymore since the last one wasn't even pushing the gore and shock of the previous installments.

there are many, but too few and far between.
Hostel
TCM (remake)
Halloween (remake)
Friday the 13th (2009)
My Bloody Valentine 3-D
Planet Terror

islandclaws
05-20-09, 10:30 AM
I saw this last night. I'll post a full-length review later today, but in a nutshell: it's pretty good. There is some BAD CGI, some scenes that should be scary are a little too Raimi-goofy, the story isn't terribly original and the "3 days of torment" aren't very tormenting. I did like some of the practical FX work, the sound design (something I rarely notice) was fucking amazing(!) and the ending. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10. I don't see how it would have benefitted from an R-rating, as most of the blood/gore scenes (as any Raimi horror fan might expect) are often humorous and feature multi-colored ooze.

RocShemp
05-20-09, 10:45 AM
Cool. Look forward to your full review, KillerCannibal. :)

islandclaws
05-20-09, 03:26 PM
Review:

It’s been almost 20 (!) long years since Sam Raimi waded into the genre pool with his last horror offering, 1993’s Army of Darkness. The film was the second, and most likely final, sequel to the Evil Dead film series, the trilogy which put Raimi’s name high up on the list of horror’s most beloved directors. After its release, everyone was wondering what kind of new horrors he would have in store for fans. However, rather than sticking to his low-budget roots, Raimi expanding into cinema with non-genre offering such as The Quick and the Dead (a much better film than it’s given credit for being), A Simple Plan (a well-received, and rightfully so, crime drama), For the Love of the Game (for the love of God, why?) and The Gift (a decent, if not bland, thriller). Fans, though weary of his output, held out hope for another masterpiece of horror. And then the announcement came that he would be directing Spider-Man. This was, in essence, the nail in his horror coffin, since once most low-budget directors go big (I’m looking at you, Peter Jackson) they don’t tend to revert back to relying on practical FX and smaller budgets. The Spider-Man film series has kept Raimi busy for the better part of the last decade, so when it was announced that he was taking a much-needed break to direct a low-budget horror film, well, needless to say, his longtime fans were frothing at the mouth. No, it wasn’t going to be the oft-discussed Evil Dead 4 (a project which, frankly, is past its expiration date), but an original piece written by Sam and his brother, and longtime collaborator, Ivan. The finished product, Drag Me To Hell, is a fun little horror flick, but there are some obstacles that keep it from being the low-budget jewel so many were hoping for.

Christine (Alison Lohman) is a loan officer at WilshirePacific Bank, where she’s hoping to snag the newly-opened Assistant Manager’s position. When an old gypsy woman comes in to get a third extension on her mortgage, Christine’s boss, Mr. Jacks (David Paymer), tells her that an assistant manager has to make the tough decisions, so it’s her call. Knowing that her promotion may ride on her choice, she decides to deny to old woman her extension, even though she will lose her house. After work, the two have an all-out catfight in a parking lot, culminating in the old gypsy placing a curse on Christine. As told to her by a local soothsayer, Rham, the curse causes the recipient to be tormented for 3 days, after which the ground is opened up and they are literally dragged to Hell. Christine, and her boyfriend, Clay (Justin Long), now have to find a way to undo the curse before she suffers that very fate.

The film’s trailers don’t do a whole lot to make it look like anything other than a generic horror flick, but fans of Raimi’s prior films will know this is likely to be anything but. Raimi is known to combine horror and slapstick comedy, a trademark in full effect here. That’s both a blessing and a curse, since many scenes that should be terrifying end up as slightly campy due to the humor. This isn’t necessarily a slight on the film, but I think that there should have been a stronger undercurrent of terror running throughout the picture. A few gags are repeated once too often, especially the possessed handkerchief. Yes, you read that right. It worked once, but it doesn’t do much the second time it pops up. My biggest complaint has to be the overuse of shoddy CGI. I had hoped Raimi would use almost 100% practical effects here, since he’s known for having some of the best in his films, but many of the intended scares were diluted by the poor computer renderings. That fact left me dismayed since I had hoped to get some spectacular gross-out set pieces, only to find haphazard computer work. I will say, though, that what practical effects are shown on-screen are rightfully nasty and definitely got the audience hooting and hollering.

I wasn’t entirely sold on Alison Lohman in this role. She does a reasonably good job, but she often has an uneasy delivery to her lines that tended to throw me off. I can’t complain too much, however, since the lead was originally intended to go to Ellen Page, she of (the worse fucking film of 2007) Juno fame. Her inclusion here would have kept me from seeing the film at all. I loathe her on so many levels. But I digress… Lohman does seem to be sleepwalking a bit here, but as I said, she does well enough that I’m not going to complain much.

One actor who always shines, in my opinion, is Justin Long. Even though it’s a slight stretch casting him as a college psychology professor (I don’t know, maybe my mental image is of someone who looks a bit more distinguished, or like Dr. Weil), the guy can still hold a film together. He was one of the highlights in Jeepers Creepers, but I’ve found his best work to be in comedy. He’s got some serious chops in that department. See Zack and Miri Make a Porno and you’ll know what I mean. Though he doesn’t have a whole lot to do here aside from acting concerned, and providing a major plot point at the end, his presence is still a plus for the film.

Here’s something I rarely notice in films today: sound design. Drag Me To Hell has some of the most incredible sound I’ve heard in a theater in a long time. It’s abrasive, unnerving, tormenting and VERY FUCKING LOUD. I doubt this is going to win an Oscar or anything, though it should, but the sound design here alone is worth the price of admission. I’m sure it’ll sound sweet as hell on a decent home theater system, but don’t wait for the Blu-ray to come out. This is definitely something you need to experience in a theater. Raimi has always had a penchant for creative use of sound, Evil Dead II is a perfect example of this, but the uninitiated will be in for quite the auditory treat.

I’m recommending you see this, but it’s a mild recommendation. I really wanted to be blown away by this movie, but some of my minor quibbles keep it from being a full-blown return to form for Sam Raimi. For one, the torment Christine goes through for 3 days isn’t nearly as tormenting as I had anticipated. Truth be told, it’s rather tame. There are some worthy practical FX on display, but for every one of them there’s any equally appalling CGI monstrosity that sucks you right out of the action. I will say this, though: the ending has some balls, and those are in short supply these days. Don’t let the PG-13 rating dissuade you here. Anyone familiar with Raimi’s films knows that he has a tendency to use multi-colored oozes and puss in lieu of traditional red blood, and there’s no need for nudity here, so an R-rating isn’t required. Many great horror films haven’t been R-rated, not that this is great, but it’s simply not an issue for this particular flick. Summer could use a few good scares, so go see it to diversify your summer viewing schedule.

asianxcore
05-27-09, 04:57 PM
Though I mentioned earlier the original trailer made me laugh (failed loan= get cursed) I really want to see this.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch a showing this weekend with a friend.

RocShemp
05-27-09, 07:05 PM
Thanks, KillerCannibal. Looking forward to it. :)

The possessed handkerchief sounds a bit like the possessed hand in Evil Dead II.

islandclaws
05-27-09, 07:21 PM
The possessed handkerchief sounds a bit like the possessed hand in Evil Dead II.

Kinda, but nowhere near as effective or cool.

I hope this does well, though, since it's great counter-programming and it is a fun little film.

The O
05-27-09, 08:55 PM
The movie is a total blast (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37389/drag-me-to-hell/) and I hope all you Raimi fans will head out this weekend and support it.

Supermallet
05-27-09, 09:04 PM
Gonna catch it Thursday at midnight. :up:

JumpCutz
05-27-09, 11:17 PM
The movie is a total blast (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37389/drag-me-to-hell/) and I hope all you Raimi fans will head out this weekend and support it.

:up: Absolutely loved your review. Can't wait to see this.

McLovin
05-28-09, 03:39 AM
The trailers didn't excite me, but all the buzz has me wanting to see this now. FWIW, I'm not the biggest fan of Raimi's post-Evil Dead efforts (including the Spidey movies). This sounds like a return to form for him.

RoboDad
05-28-09, 12:00 PM
It's currently at 93% at RT with 43 reviews.

RocShemp
05-28-09, 03:26 PM
I just came back from seeing it. What a great ride. The audio was intense and it really kept you on the edge of your seat. I love the She-Bitch homage (though with a guy this time) towards the end of the movie. That said, although the ending was very good, I feel it fell just short of greatness. Aside from how eye-rollingly predictable the envelope shuffle was (I saw it coming when the button was first sealed in the envelope), I would have prefered if the boyfriend (Justin Long), as the final possesor of the button, would have been the one to go to hell. That would been the truest torment for the protagonist given all her preable regarding to whom she was to give the button. That minor issue aside, it's a fantastic movie and one that will find a welcome home in my BD collection. :up:

hapgilmore
05-29-09, 12:05 PM
cannot believe this is at 95% on RT! Can't wait to see it

tylergfoster
05-29-09, 12:18 PM
Aside from how eye-rollingly predictable the envelope shuffle was (I saw it coming when the button was first sealed in the envelope), I would have prefered if the boyfriend (Justin Long), as the final possesor of the button, would have been the one to go to hell. That would been the truest torment for the protagonist given all her preamble regarding to whom she was to give the button.This is what I thought was going to happen too. But the shot of Alison Lohman's face disintegrating into a screaming skull was so awesome and haunting it almost made up for it.I thought it was great. I'll be seeing it again this weekend...

islandclaws
05-29-09, 01:32 PM
Aside from how eye-rollingly predictable the envelope shuffle was (I saw it coming when the button was first sealed in the envelope), I would have prefered if the boyfriend (Justin Long), as the final possesor of the button, would have been the one to go to hell. That would been the truest torment for the protagonist given all her preable regarding to whom she was to give the button.

My buddy predicted that same fate, but since she never technically gave him the button, she still would have gone to Hell whether he gave it back to her or not. As I said, my only real complaint was the overuse of CGI and the torment was a little weak, but otherwise this is a damn fun flick.

dino88
05-29-09, 03:32 PM
Going to see this in a few hours, can't wait. I'm using Terminator movie cash (something good has to come from that movie), so unfortunately I won't be contributing my money to a worthy film (I hope). But they'll get my money from the dvd purchase if it's as good as the reviews have been saying.

GenPion
05-29-09, 10:01 PM
Eh... I don't know. I'm a huge Raimi fan and I love the Evil Dead movies but this wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It wasn't as effective as horror OR comedy based on my initial viewing tonight. It was still a fun little flick, but that's about it. ***/****. Nothing too remarkable but entertaining for the entire run time. I'm hoping to see it again soon though to see if my opinion of it can improve.

Also, I kept hearing about how GREAT the audio was but there was hardly anything going on with the surrounds AT ALL. Was this my theater messing it up? I'm going to guess that it is because it came no where CLOSE to being as good as I expected. Seriously, it was like it was all coming from the front and it wasn't that intense. My home theater sounds a lot better. Of course, I've noticed this with more and more movies... but still. It also depends on the theater I guess. I saw Cloverfield at the same theater I saw Drag Me to Hell tonight and there was NO surround use at all. When I saw it at another theater a week later it was almost non-stop the entire film and REALLY intense, just like my Blu-ray edition is. Hmmm....

toddly6666
05-29-09, 11:53 PM
I would give it three out of four stars as well - raimi is still an awesome director. Nothing beats army of darkness and quick and the dead though!

The main purpose of Drag Me to Hell was to show the world that Allison Lohman is a perfect replacement for Kirsten Dunst in Spiderman 4 - Lohman is not only cute and hot, but in many scenes she looked just like Dunst.

golden_rod
05-30-09, 01:00 AM
The main purpose of Drag Me to Hell was to show the world that Allison Lohman is a perfect replacement for Kirsten Dunst in Spiderman 4 - Lohman is not only cute and hot, but in many scenes she looked just like Dunst.

And unlike Dunst, Lohman can actually act. Loved her ever since "Pasadena," I'd kill for a DVD release of that show. An amazing cast with a wonderfully twisted & perverse story.

DonnachaOne
05-30-09, 01:07 AM
Drag Me To Hell is the best film I've seen all year. I saw The Brothers Bloom last October.
It's so much fun. At no point does Raimi treat his audience like idiots and the work shows through; characters are funny without being strictly comic, likable without being sappy, and bloody scary without being stupid. The well-crafted story is predictable, but satisfyingly so, reinventing all the scenes we've seen handled so poorly before in lesser horror and showing us just how strong they can be in the hands of talented filmmakers who care about what they're doing. Great directing, great performances, and Christoper Young's score might be the best of his I've heard since his Hellraiser days. Nothing is handled obviously. Through all the scares and nervous aftershock giggles is a very involving character-driven story - no line 'em up and watch 'em die idiocy, just a look on how much torment someone can take, and what they're willing to do to escape it. It is scary. It is shocking. And it is so much fun to experience.
I may watch it again tomorrow.

Patman
05-30-09, 01:17 AM
This film was a hoot. It was gross and funny and horrific in spots. The character development wasn't all that great, but it's a film built around the shock and scare of the horror movie genre with a good sense of humor behind the camera. This is the kind of film enjoyed with a good sized audience who get all caught up in the mayhem on the screen. It's like a scary amusement park ride, not as much fun riding it alone.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

dino88
05-30-09, 01:20 AM
Now that was a fun film. With all the crap horror put out lately, it's good to see a film that takes me back to old school horror. I wasn't blown away by it leaving the theater, but I'm liking it more and more as I think about it (I'm usually like this with films I end up loving...I didn't care that much for Pulp Fiction when I first saw it).

My favorite line: Christine driving to the cemetery "I'm gonna get me some"

I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars.

dino88
05-30-09, 01:42 AM
This is the kind of film enjoyed with a good sized audience who get all caught up in the mayhem on the screen.

I definitely agree. Unfortunately, there was only about 30 people in my audience.

Supermallet
05-30-09, 01:42 AM
I haven't seen such a straightforward and delightful ghost story in years. It's not Raimi's best, but a wonderful footnote to the Evil Dead series. Lohman was cute as a button (pun intended), and the old lady was an excellent heavy. I loved the seance scene and the guy who played the fortune teller was quite enjoyable. It relied slightly too much on CGI, but not to the point where it ruined the movie.

I do wish Justin Long's character had been developed just a little bit more, he was a little too broadly drawn to make him effective as the support. But, those few minor gripes aside, I think this is one of the most enjoyable films in the theaters right now, and highly recommend it to anyone.

fallfan
05-30-09, 06:38 AM
Also, I kept hearing about how GREAT the audio was but there was hardly anything going on with the surrounds AT ALL. Was this my theater messing it up? I'm going to guess that it is because it came no where CLOSE to being as good as I expected.

Definately try to catch it at a different theatre. The sound mix was fantastic, especially during the seance scene and the parts where she is alone at home.

The movie had several parts that brought back that Evil Dead 2 feeling. Particularly the seance as well as the awesome workshed ("Workshed!")scene. I love nothing more than crazy, Sam Raimi dutch-angle zoom-ins, and this movie has loads of them.

man*machine
05-30-09, 10:53 AM
Definately try to catch it at a different theatre. The sound mix was fantastic, especially during the seance scene and the parts where she is alone at home.

Yes, the sound was great. The screeching sounds she heard at home would circle itself around the theater. During the seance, when the noise gets so loud that even the characters are putting their hands up to their ears, I thought the theater's speakers were going to explode! Great stuff.

I haven't had so much fun at a horror movie in years. Don't let that lousy trailer or the PG-13 rating turn you away. This is complete fun from start to finish. There was even applause when the film ended at the afternoon show I went to yesterday, which rarely happens. It's refreshing to see a "fun" horror film for a change and I will see it again this weekend (something I never do). Go out and see it.

Thank you, Raimi! The horror genre has finally been given a new transfusion of life after so many years of retreads and remakes and torture-porn.

Daytripper
05-30-09, 11:09 AM
This movie ROCKED! So much fun. It has everything. And yes, the sound is a huge part of the experience. You must see it in a theater with a great sound system. Daniel, I do think this is up there with Raimi's best. And I'd give it a 10/10. Great great stuff.

riotinmyskull
05-30-09, 11:15 AM
Sorry, but this movie looks retarded. Raimi fanatics, much like Bruce Campbell fanatics, are too quick to praise their pieces of shit.

how's that crow taste? (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drag_me_to_hell/)

chris_sc77
05-30-09, 11:19 AM
^The movie still looks like absolute SHIT to me. I dont waste me time with PG-13 horror movies. You can like it all you want but it is performing well below expectations so I am happy.

Daytripper
05-30-09, 11:50 AM
^The movie still looks like absolute SHIT to me. I dont waste me time with PG-13 horror movies. You can like it all you want but it is performing well below expectations so I am happy.

First of all, it's your loss for not seeing this because of it's rating. And you can rag on it all you want, but get your facts straight. It is NOT performing "well below expectations". It was predicted to open at 20M. From boxoffice.com:

"The weekend's other major new release, Drag Me to Hell, looks as though it will fall just shy of the $20 million mark. The horror flick has received some surprisingly strong reviews, so if audiences enjoy it as much as critics have then word of mouth could spread quickly and boost the opening weekend tally."

man*machine
05-30-09, 12:21 PM

...but you apparently waste 'me' time in threads discussing PG-13 horror movies?

chris_sc77
05-30-09, 12:34 PM
First of all, it's your loss for not seeing this because of it's rating. And you can rag on it all you want, but get your facts straight. It is NOT performing "well below expectations". It was predicted to open at 20M. From boxoffice.com:

"The weekend's other major new release, Drag Me to Hell, looks as though it will fall just shy of the $20 million mark. The horror flick has received some surprisingly strong reviews, so if audiences enjoy it as much as critics have then word of mouth could spread quickly and boost the opening weekend tally."

It IS performing below expectations. I saw quite a few predictions that this was supposed to open above $25 million.
/film.com states it will make around $16.5 million this weekend. And they state it is indeed performing below expectations.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/30/box-office-pixars-up-flys-high-with-205m-friday-aiming-for-67m-weekend/

OldBoy
05-30-09, 12:43 PM

i don't understand why you get off when movies you don't like and have no interest in seeing doesn't do well and feel the need to boast that the 1 time out of 20 a prediction you make faintly resembles being correct.

Daytripper
05-30-09, 12:52 PM
It IS performing below expectations. I saw quite a few predictions that this was supposed to open above $25 million.
/film.com states it will make around $16.5 million this weekend. And they state it is indeed performing below expectations.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/30/box-office-pixars-up-flys-high-with-205m-friday-aiming-for-67m-weekend/

You show me one site that said it was expected to do 25M or more. Even your link said 20M. And box-office.com said it could end up around 19M. We'll see on Monday night when the final tally is in.

That said, why don't you get lost and come back once you've seen the film.

OldBoy
05-30-09, 12:56 PM
this was quite fun, but not quite as good as i thought it would be. the atmosphere, the thrills, the jumps definitely work. the sound had the seats rattling. seeing it with an audience that obviously knows Raimi's "Evil Dead" Trilogy is a plus.

they, as well as i, knew what to expect, got giddy at the right moments, laughed at the homages to his ED series. you could just feel the delight in everyone's seat.

however, i think what hurts the film is that it plays so closely to the ED movies that you know what to expect almost all the way through. the effects are sometimes identical to scenes in ED 2 especially and Raimi didn't seem to change much from the effects from the series even though it has been 15 years since the last. of course, it is more polished, but the cheesiness is still evident.

that is why i don't think this will find a wide audience, which is too bad, because if you don't know Raimi and ED then you won't get a lot of the movie. i hope i am wrong on that account though.

this is a very fun movie, much different than anything that has come out probably since 1993's "Army of Darkness" because of the comical nature and possession nature of the story. i just saw an interview with Raimi this morning and he said he wanted to go away from the blood and gore and realism horror that has penetrated Hollywood of late. he definitely succeeded in making this unique and a stand apart from those mostly crapfests.

i also wish, as many have said, that the "Three's Company" twist was a little less obvious. i mean after that everything you knew she was doing was superfluous until the end and yes, it could have went either way, but the finale wasn't too much of a shock, but it was done with style as was the whole movie.

and i absolutely loved the 2 title card presentations! one at the beginning and one at the end. i think it gives it a great emphasis and almost like an exclamation point. "The Lion King" had it as well, as i am sure many others, and loved it. that is such an easy effect that brings it home for a good movie.

very stylish, very clever, very fun, very loud, but just a little too much like the ED series.

not a bad night at the movies and much much better than anything else this summer thus far with the exception of "Star Trek".

Supermallet
05-30-09, 01:18 PM

This PG-13 horror movie is better than almost any R-rated horror film from the past 5 years that I can think of.

man*machine
05-30-09, 02:00 PM
You show me one site that said it was expected to do 25M or more. Even your link said 20M. And box-office.com said it could end up around 19M. We'll see on Monday night when the final tally is in.

That said, why don't you get lost and come back once you've seen the film.
:) Well said!

I always use Boxofficeprophets and they had predicted a $19 million weekend.

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=11652

As far as the PG-13 goes, who cares what the rating is? This isn't some neutered slasher flick with all the gore cut out. Honestly, if I hadn't known the rating in advance, I'd probably have thought it was an R. Does it really matter? Or is it just that kids only feel "cool" because they're watching an R film? Dumb.

I agree with Suprmallet too - this PG-13 flick is way better than practically every R-rated, unrated, or 'too-extreme to rate' horror films from the last 5 years.

Daytripper
05-30-09, 02:21 PM
:) Well said!

I always use Boxofficeprophets and they had predicted a $19 million weekend.

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=11652

As far as the PG-13 goes, who cares what the rating is? This isn't some neutered slasher flick with all the gore cut out. Honestly, if I hadn't known the rating in advance, I'd probably have thought it was an R. Does it really matter? Or is it just that kids only feel "cool" because they're watching an R film? Dumb.

I agree with Suprmallet too - this PG-13 flick is way better than practically every R-rated, unrated, or 'too-extreme to rate' horror films from the last 5 years.

Thanks. And you know what? Honestly, I had no idea this was PG-13 going in. And I'm quite surprised it wasn't rated R. There was enough gore and blood that it probably could or should have earned a harder rating.

Supermallet
05-30-09, 02:23 PM
Sam Raimi learned a trick on Evil Dead 2. If blood is red, it offends the MPAA. That's why in a lot of his films, the monsters bleed any color but red, and in this movie you'll find a lot of green, white, and yellow-ish liquids, but red is used more sparingly and for great effect (the nose bleed scene and the eye in the cake come to mind).

Larry C.
05-30-09, 04:38 PM

I'm sorry but thats just dumb.

OldBoy
05-30-09, 04:40 PM
mods...could we add a 5 to 0 star poll to this review thread using half stars? it would be interesting to see where the reviews lie and pointless to start a new one.

Supermallet
05-30-09, 04:58 PM
I'm not seeing an option to add a poll, that might take an admin. I'd say it's 4 stars.

Labor
05-30-09, 05:00 PM
This was absolutely fantastic

Creepiest, most tense and scary American mainstream Horror movie of the decade, bar none. And funny as hell to boot. Classic Raimi.

I was skeptical due to the PG-13, but wow, what a non-issue.

OldBoy
05-30-09, 05:02 PM
I'm not seeing an option to add a poll, that might take an admin. I'd say it's 4 stars.

oh well, no biggie. thanks for trying though. i figured if poll threads can be merged with non-poll threads it would be ok.

RD1973
05-30-09, 05:19 PM
I just saw this movie last night with a packed house and it was awesome! I don't scare easily, but the sound effects had me on edge the whole time. There was one bad CG moment (flying eyeballs). But everything else was perfect.

Someone here stated that there wasn't enough character development. I'm starting to think people just use that term to sound smart. This movie is all about Christine. What else did we really need to know about her or anyone else in the cast?

Also, why are some people hung up on the rating? Jaws is rated PG. Like a few others have said, this movie is much more intense than most of the "unrated" shitfests I've seen lately.

I'm just waiting for someone to complain abouth the portrayal of gypsies in this movie, though. :)

FantasticVSDoom
05-30-09, 05:43 PM
This PG-13 horror movie is better than almost any R-rated horror film from the past 5 years that I can think of.

:up:... Like others, great time at the movies today. Glad to see Raimi still has it and I can't wait to get this one on BD, and hopefully some more goodies with it.

dino88
05-30-09, 06:20 PM
:up:... Like others, great time at the movies today. Glad to see Raimi still has it and I can't wait to get this one on BD, and hopefully some more goodies with it.

Which version do you plan on getting? The 1st, 2nd, or 8th release?

dino88
05-30-09, 06:27 PM

I have to agree with the other people here, this statement is retarded. So if the movie were to add some titties (which wouldn't have made sense) and a few 'fucks' you would think it looked good? I'm assuming you've never seen Gremlins, Jaws, The Sixth Sense, or Poltergeist.

Yeah, fuck all those movies. I'd rather see House of the Dead because it's rated R.

xage
05-30-09, 07:16 PM
I liked the film, Sam Raimi can still direct and present his own unique presentation to Horror genre!

While watching this film I cant help noticing how "APPLE" capitalized and cashed in (ofcourse Justin Long-Mac dude stars in it) a barrage of advertisements.

Watch out for - Macbook, Mac Pro and even an IPhone!

Troy Stiffler
05-30-09, 07:22 PM
The PG-13 rating was fitting.

This movie is good 'ole Raimi, in goofy. horror, jumpy form. I actually found the real joy to be in the goofiness. There was one part that made me really jump. A couple that I kind of expected.

I really liked it. That's all I have to say.

Yavin
05-30-09, 07:31 PM
Saw this today using my Wolverine/Ice Age 3/Night at the Museum 2 movie cash (go figure that they let you redeem it for any movie at all).

I liked it, but yeah it was another case of going into the film with exceedingly high expectations (based on the stellar rotten tomatoes ranking of 93%). Surprisingly, none of the jump scares in the film worked on me at all. But it was nice to see the Raimi brothers' names, along with Rob Tapert on the big screen, and to see the old Raimi tilted camera angles and POV of the demon camera swoops (among his other old tricks).

I did get a kick out of the nod to the AOD she-bitch during the seance, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. But I got a bigger chuckle out of Christine's "I'm gonna get some" line as she drove to the cemetary to give old lady Ganush the button. Also saw the little twist coming at the end (duh, a button and a coin are the same shape) and the movie did end the way it should, though really you don't want to see someone as cute as Lohman coming to an end like that.

Definitely picking this up on Blu-ray when it's released. Hopefully, in some sort of director's cut "with 20% more Lamia" ;)

As it stands, I give this a solid 7.5 out of 10.

mdc3000
05-30-09, 09:06 PM
Loved it. It was easily the most disgusting, scary and hilarious horror flick I've seen in a LONG TIME - and for being PG-13, this movie had BALLS. It was harder and grosser than a lot of recent R rated pieces of shit. Love the old school style of the film, starting with the Uni Logo, the great score and the way it was shot. The performances are all pretty damn good and despite a lot of the "BOO" scares not getting me, the atmosphere that is created through sound and the visuals is really fucking creepy at times.

Sure a lot of the plot elements are heavily telegraphed, so there aren't many surprises, but it's the fun of the ride, not the destination that counts. Lots of great moments/lines and I can't wait to see it again and buy the blu-ray when it comes out. It's good to have Sam Raimi back doing what he's good at... you can feel the passion for the genre in every frame of the film (something Spidey 3 lacked) and it is just a fun, creepy good time. Also, the shot of Allison Lohman in the rain, covered in mud while she stands in the grave, might be my favourite shot of the year so far - just damn awesome. 4.5/5

Supermallet
05-30-09, 09:16 PM
I should mention I think this is Christopher Young's best score since Hellraiser. I'm glad Raimi hooked up with Young, as I've heard enough Elfman scores to last me a lifetime.

Gilgamesh1082
05-30-09, 10:12 PM
Just got back from seeing it. It fulfilled my checklist of Raimi-isms.

1. The Classic - All of us were waiting for the ol' gal to show up. And show up she did. That poor car doesn't have a single original part in it, but Raimi keeps finding ways to throw it in his movies.

2. Ted Raimi - Again, we were all waiting for it. Ted has to be in all his movies, too. Technically, he didn't have screen time, but he was heard off screen as the doctor who visits the house.

3. Bruce Campbell - We have another non appearance of a Raimi regular. Listen closely to the peals of psychotic laughter during the seance. That's our ol pal, BC, Shemping it up.

I've got to agree with another poster, this was one of the best films I've seen this year, behind Watchmen and Star Trek. I haven't had this much fun at a movie in a long time. Do yourselves a favor and check it out.

dino88
05-30-09, 10:37 PM
Also, the shot of Allison Lohman in the rain, covered in mud while she stands in the grave, might be my favourite shot of the year so far
Just for you mdc3000
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6841/75492557.jpg

xage
05-30-09, 11:19 PM

1. The Classic - All of us were waiting for the ol' gal to show up. And show up she did. That poor car doesn't have a single original part in it, but Raimi keeps finding ways to throw it in his movies.

2. Ted Raimi - Again, we were all waiting for it. Ted has to be in all his movies, too. Technically, he didn't have screen time, but he was heard off screen as the doctor who visits the house.

3. Bruce Campbell - We have another non appearance of a Raimi regular. Listen closely to the peals of psychotic laughter during the seance. That's our ol pal, BC, Shemping it up.

I've got to agree with another poster, this was one of the best films I've seen this year, behind Watchmen and Star Trek. I haven't had this much fun at a movie in a long time. Do yourselves a favor and check it out.

You forgot:

1. Tapert produced this film too

2. Make-up effects were made by the now (experienced) Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger (from Evil Dead 2) - thats is why its so Slimey

3. Lastly... The Delta 88 ! this is totally Evil Deadish!!!!

Daytripper
05-30-09, 11:59 PM
I should mention I think this is Christopher Young's best score since Hellraiser. I'm glad Raimi hooked up with Young, as I've heard enough Elfman scores to last me a lifetime.

THANK YOU!!! And I'm still stunned Elfman did the score for "T4" because it was THE most generic music I've heard in a film in years.

golden_rod
05-31-09, 12:17 AM

Damn. Did Raimi slap your mother for queefing in bed? You seem to really have it out for his movie, man.

Incredibly fun flick. The sound was positively incredible, I really liked the main character, and it made me jump quite a few times. Some genuine scares to be found in it. You could really tell Raimi was having fun crafting a great "little" movie, from the old school Universal logo to the gag with the goat.

Plus, he violently kills a kid before the opening credits! If that doesn't scream "BIG FUN IS ONCOMING," I don't know what does.

RichC2
05-31-09, 02:05 AM
Sucks to see solid horror flicks do ho-hum numbers when complete shit like The Strangers and the Saw sequels have stronger pull. But, it'll be a huge hit on video, and I think that's all Raimi really aims for with his horror flicks. But that's life, I'm sure there are plenty of movie viewers out there that wouldn't know a good movie if it bit em in the ass.

Of course, it's easier to pull audiences in with a super serious looking piece of horror schlock than one that actually succeeds at being entertainment.

tylergfoster
05-31-09, 03:30 AM
You forgot:

3. Lastly... The Delta 88 ! this is totally Evil Deadish!!!!That's The Classic, the guy's first bullet point.

CaptainMarvel
05-31-09, 06:42 AM
I saw this movie last night. It was overall incredibly enjoyable, although the ending was telegraphed from a million miles away.

The fact that I enjoyed this movie despite my theater experience says something; because of timing, I went to a different theater than the ones I normally use, and at least half the audience was idiots talking on their cell phone throughout the movie. They weren't just answering calls either... they were placing calls, or switching between calls on call waiting. I'd normally ask somebody doing that to stop, or speak to a manager, but what can you do when it's literally half the theater doing it?

OldBoy
05-31-09, 12:01 PM

i too was waiting for this on-screen cameo. but, after, just knew he or BC wouldn't really fit this time out.

tylergfoster
05-31-09, 12:50 PM
i too was waiting for this on-screen cameo. but, after, just knew he or BC wouldn't really fit this time out.Ted has an on-screen cameo, it's just you can only barely see it. He plays the doctor that comes to the house right before the fly scene.

Supermallet
05-31-09, 01:12 PM
All you can see of him is his back, so I can understand why people think he wasn't in it.

Gilgamesh1082
05-31-09, 01:25 PM
You forgot:

1. Tapert produced this film too

2. Make-up effects were made by the now (experienced) Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger (from Evil Dead 2) - thats is why its so Slimey

3. Lastly... The Delta 88 ! this is totally Evil Deadish!!!!

I noticed Tapert produced it, but I did not see that Berger and Nicotero were involved.

The Delta 88 is The Classic!

OldBoy
05-31-09, 01:46 PM
All you can see of him is his back, so I can understand why people think he wasn't in it.

ahhh...remember the Dr. but alas didn't pay that close attention to.

Supermallet
05-31-09, 01:53 PM
Don't worry, I didn't recognize him from the back of his head. :lol: I noticed him listed in the credits as the doctor.

OldBoy
05-31-09, 02:11 PM
Don't worry, I didn't recognize him from the back of his head. :lol: I noticed him listed in the credits as the doctor.

he's also unrecognizable at the end of ED II (he's standing next to Sam Raimi), of course the full knight costume might be the reason :)

Charlie Goose
05-31-09, 04:12 PM
Fun, fun movie. A lot of BOO scares, some good chills, and laughs.

I had to chuckle when she gives her boyfriend the quarter early on, and he made such a big deal of putting it in the envelope. There might as well have been a neon arrow pointing at it.

Still, I think it's a little harsh to condemn someone to an eternity in Hell just because she wouldn't extend your bank loan.

man*machine
05-31-09, 05:04 PM
Still, I think it's a little harsh to condemn someone to an eternity in Hell just because she wouldn't extend your bank loan.

Well, it wasn't just that - it was also that she called security on the gypsy woman and "shamed her". Surely, that's enough to be condemned to Hell for eternity, right? -wink-

Ranger
05-31-09, 05:20 PM
Well, it wasn't just that - it was also that she called security on the gypsy woman and "shamed her". Surely, that's enough to be condemned to Hell for eternity, right? -wink-Still makes me wonder if Hellraiser would be more/less popular if Kirsty Cotton had suffered the same fate.

sethsez
05-31-09, 06:46 PM
^^^the fact that it's a really harsh punishment for such a relatively small mistake is one of the things that I like about this movie. I'm sick of horror where extremely bad people get their comeuppance. There's nothing particularly scary, disturbing or even interesting about it. The dynamic of a good person going through (ahem) hell is a lot more interesting. Evil Dead II wouldn't have been half the movie it is if Ash weren't such a lovable goof.

I will never understand horror fans who pay more attention to a movie's rating than to critical and audience reactions, or to the talent actually creating the damn thing.

Sam Raimi has made a movie that Evil Dead fans seem to be loving almost universally. Who gives a shit about the MPAA?

LiquidSky
05-31-09, 06:57 PM
I just got back. Fun movie. Grade: 8.5/10.

That poor kitty. :(

man*machine
05-31-09, 07:13 PM
I will never understand horror fans who pay more attention to a movie's rating than to critical and audience reactions, or to the talent actually creating the damn thing.

Sam Raimi has made a movie that Evil Dead fans seem to be loving almost universally. Who gives a shit about the MPAA?

True. And although I have always really liked the EVIL DEAD movies, DRAG ME actually has a stronger more-solid and involving story (simple as it is) and way better characters (Ash exempted). This is actually a superior film in many ways to the ED trilogy, although I don't want to start a debate about that. I love them all.

I had ED 2 in today since it's been a while since I watched it. It's actually more stylish and crazy-with-camerawork than DRAG ME is and that's always a big plus. Bruce Campbell is simply incredible. No CGI, either, so it feels more organic. The characters are pretty forgettable and dull, though (except for Ash, of course) and there's practically no story whatsoever, either. DRAG ME seems like Shakespeare in comparison as far as a script goes. But who cares, this is all about having fun and all the films do that.

If EVIL DEAD 2 were released today, it would easily get an R (it has always been unrated as it was too graphic for an R at the time). I can even imagine it getting a PG-13 today just because it's all so silly and absurd and you can't take any of it seriously. In this day of torture-porn horror films, EVIL DEAD 2 actually looks like a tame comedy horror-spoof with lots of blood splattering and appendages chopped off, but all in goofy, silly fun - I actually think the MPAA really would give it a PG-13 today. So who cares about these ratings anyway?

SethDLH
05-31-09, 08:27 PM
Saw this last night and loved it! Raimi still knows how to make a fun and entertaining horror movie. And the debate about the cgi will rage on, it wasn't great but didn't take away. There were enough practical effects from Nicotero and Berger that almost had my friend vomiting in the seat to satisfy!

8.5/10

StephenX
05-31-09, 08:49 PM
Me and my wife saw it tonight. Great, great, movie and an even better horror movie. I love Raimi's stuff, but we both enjoyed this more than Evil Dead. A great story that happens to involve elements of horror, comedy, drama. I agree with everything that has already been said.

Great ending, too. The audience I was with was shocked.

Also, I LOVED how there were all sorts of easter eggs all over the place from Raimi's other stuff. Ash's car, etc. By the way, anyone notice the license plate? It read "999 51." Upside down, it is "Is 666." My wife caught that.

8/10

SethDLH
05-31-09, 09:20 PM
Me and my wife saw it tonight. Great, great, movie and an even better horror movie. I love Raimi's stuff, but we both enjoyed this more than Evil Dead. A great story that happens to involve elements of horror, comedy, drama. I agree with everything that has already been said.

Great ending, too. The audience I was with was shocked.

Also, I LOVED how there were all sorts of easter eggs all over the place from Raimi's other stuff. Ash's car, etc. By the way, anyone notice the license plate? It read "999 51." Upside down, it is "Is 666." My wife caught that.

8/10

The car is in every Raimi film... I love seeing it!

asianxcore
05-31-09, 10:48 PM
Saw this today with a friend. Loved it!!

After reading an interview with Raimi in the current issue of Rue Morgue, I was happy to see a nice balance between practical and CGI effects. The film was a lot of fun and scary. Then again I am a sucker for "jump" scares :)

Also liked the sheer amount of "gross-out" moments. Each and every one of them had my friend and I laughing/clapping along.

Defiant1
05-31-09, 11:00 PM
^^^the fact that it's a really harsh punishment for such a relatively small mistake is one of the things that I like about this movie. I'm sick of horror where extremely bad people get their comeuppance. There's nothing particularly scary, disturbing or even interesting about it. The dynamic of a good person going through (ahem) hell is a lot more interesting. Evil Dead II wouldn't have been half the movie it is if Ash weren't such a lovable goof.

Japanese horror movies tend to feature relatively nice, "good" people who inadvertently trigger the ghost/supernatural force and end up dying.

I saw DMTH tonight and liked it. Very silly and cheesy but fun in that schlocky 80s way.

dsa_shea
05-31-09, 11:05 PM
Well, it wasn't just that - it was also that she called security on the gypsy woman and "shamed her". Surely, that's enough to be condemned to Hell for eternity, right? -wink-

Borat would call security on a gypsy woman and wouldn't think twice about it. Plus, he would steal some gypsy tears before getting hauled off.

darqleo
06-01-09, 01:45 AM
Also, I LOVED how there were all sorts of easter eggs all over the place from Raimi's other stuff. Ash's car, etc.

That's actually Sam Raimi's "real life" car, it's an easter egg in ALL of his movies. From Wikipedia... "Raimi has included a 1973 yellow Oldsmobile Delta 88 automobile (nicknamed "The Classic") in every film except The Quick and the Dead"

dino88
06-01-09, 01:55 AM
That's actually Sam Raimi's "real life" car, it's an easter egg in ALL of his movies. From Wikipedia... "Raimi has included a 1973 yellow Oldsmobile Delta 88 automobile (nicknamed "The Classic") in every film except The Quick and the Dead"

I wonder why he didn't use it in that one?:hscratch:

tylergfoster
06-01-09, 03:32 AM
^^^the fact that it's a really harsh punishment for such a relatively small mistake is one of the things that I like about this movie. I'm sick of horror where extremely bad people get their comeuppance. There's nothing particularly scary, disturbing or even interesting about it. The dynamic of a good person going through (ahem) hell is a lot more interesting. Evil Dead II wouldn't have been half the movie it is if Ash weren't such a lovable goof.Well, I wouldn't want to ruin your opinion of the movie, but I think this is the exact opposite of the point you're supposed to be gleaning from the movie. Christine is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. It may make financial sense for the bank to take away Sylvia Ganush's house, but two extensions or not, it's slightly cold and inhuman. She had an eye disease, she lives on a fixed income, and she's old. Christine refuses to grant the loan out of selfishness: she wants that promotion more than she cares about Sylvia's well-being, just because Sylvia puts her gross teeth and fingers on her desk and steals her candy (two wrongs don't make a right). Repeatedly, throughout the film, when confronted by her decision, she tries to insist: "it was the bank! it was my manager!" when the manager clearly left it up to her. Then, to save her own skin, she's willing to go against her puppy-loving, vegetarian ways and kill a kitten, fails to express much sympathy when a medium who tries to help her dies, and even considers giving this curse -- a terrible, fatal curse that's her own fault -- to someone else. Christine may get dragged to Hell, but she has nobody to blame but herself.That's actually Sam Raimi's "real life" car, it's an easter egg in ALL of his movies. From Wikipedia... "Raimi has included a 1973 yellow Oldsmobile Delta 88 automobile (nicknamed "The Classic") in every film except The Quick and the Dead".In Bruce Campbell's autobiography If Chins Could Kill he suggests Raimi stuck the chassis in the wagon from the movie's opening.

kristina
06-01-09, 08:41 AM
I loved this movie - and not b/c I've got a slight girl crush on Alison Lohman...
I've never seen a Sam Rami movie before. I've read a few of the interviews concerning this movie, saw the trailer.. all of which made the movie seem lame and not even worth my time. I especialy was cynical about seeing a Sam Rami film since he is so "famous."

having said that...
The movie was extremely scary to me - I'm very jumpy when it comes to loud noises and such. A few of the scenes that were meant to be scary, though, sorta seemed lame ...especialy the scenes with her in her house. The blood scenes were very funny. I loved the chemestry b/t Alison and Justin Long. I'm definitly going to see this movie again this coming weekend.. planning on bringing a few friends and family to see it.

kristina
06-01-09, 08:46 AM
The PG-13 rating was fitting.

This movie is good 'ole Raimi, in goofy. horror, jumpy form. I actually found the real joy to be in the goofiness. There was one part that made me really jump. A couple that I kind of expected.

I really liked it. That's all I have to say.

It makes me curious to see his earlier work.

I thought the movie was much, much too good to receive only a PG-13 rating. Most PG-13 movies are teen slasher movies which I tend to avod.

riotinmyskull
06-01-09, 08:50 AM
It makes me curious to see his earlier work.

I thought the movie was much, much too good to receive only a PG-13 rating. Most PG-13 movies are teen slasher movies which I tend to avod.

too good for a rating?

Charlie Goose
06-01-09, 08:51 AM
Biggest laughs from the audience (maybe 1/3 full):

Christine walking through the house with a huge knife & saying, "Here kitty kitty kitty."

After Mrs. Ganush knocked all her teeth out on the dashboard, she gummed the shit out of Christine's face, drooling all over her.

The handkerchief attacking Christine and trying to go down her throat.

Best horror flick in years! Fuck Spidey 4, more Raimi scary goodness please!

hapgilmore
06-01-09, 09:26 AM
Saw it yesterday, pretty awesome...funniest scenes were:

blood going all over the boss's face and him asking "did any get in my mouth?" and then the asian stealing the file lol

the talking goat and when he bit that person's hand lol

Mr. Cinema
06-01-09, 10:27 AM
I'm in the minority. I wasn't blown away by this at all. I like the Evil Dead movies, but this felt like a 2009 version of Evil Dead 2, which I didn't need to see. I thought it dragged in places and I didn't think it was scary at all. Just a tad too over the top for me. I was hoping it'd be better. I also thought some of the audio was just downright annoying. Those screaming demon noises were way too loud. And it's far from the best horror movie in years.

This is nowhere close to The Descent, or even Let the Right One In. I'll take those two over this any day of the week.

notkevinbacon
06-01-09, 11:15 AM
First off, loved this movie. Loved, loved it. Saw it twice this weekend and won't be surprised if I catch it in theaters again making it the first movie I've seen 3 times in the theater on initial release. It's great to see Raimi return to this type of material and be so successful.

For anyone who professes to be a genre fan, you simply must see this one. It's impossible to take any horror fan seriously if they are not, at the very least, interested in a new Sam Raimi horror movie... and one that is receiving such high acclaim to boot.

Well, I wouldn't want to ruin your opinion of the movie, but I think this is the exact opposite of the point you're supposed to be gleaning from the movie. Christine is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. It may make financial sense for the bank to take away Sylvia Ganush's house, but two extensions or not, it's slightly cold and inhuman. She had an eye disease, she lives on a fixed income, and she's old. Christine refuses to grant the loan out of selfishness: she wants that promotion more than she cares about Sylvia's well-being, just because Sylvia puts her gross teeth and fingers on her desk and steals her candy (two wrongs don't make a right). Repeatedly, throughout the film, when confronted by her decision, she tries to insist: "it was the bank! it was my manager!" when the manager clearly left it up to her. Then, to save her own skin, she's willing to go against her puppy-loving, vegetarian ways and kill a kitten, fails to express much sympathy when a medium who tries to help her dies, and even considers giving this curse -- a terrible, fatal curse that's her own fault -- to someone else. Christine may get dragged to Hell, but she has nobody to blame but herself.

I've been flinging these ideas around in my head, too. And while i do agree with what you say, I don't think that the character is receiving proper sentencing for her crimes.

Pre-"curse," we have all faced similar choices in our lives and certainly careers. I think the decision that she makes is very understandable and very human (especially when you weigh in some of the obvious baggage she carries around both implied and mentioned outright (farm girl, fat girl, not-good-enough-for-her-boyfriend-in-the-eyes-of-the-parents girl). In all fairness, it was perfectly legal and within reason to deny a loan to some sick old lady, who in all reality DID have a place to go and other options. It's not like this was a medical crisis or a matter of life and death (at least at first!). I'm not saying that I would kick an old lady on the street to benefit me and only me, but I do think it is to be taken into consideration that the line here is very gray.

Post cursing, most of her actions I feel are completely human though at times extreme. Let's face it, when Rham Jas mentions she'd be surprised what she would do when the Lamia is coming for her...he's absolutely correct. It's pretty much damned if you do, dammed if you don't. I mean, I am a cat lover and even I thought that was a desperate, disgusting, yet all too understandable decision for the stakes of the film.

She has the chance to pass on the button to Stu, but ultimately does not. She does blame the bank/her manager, but the rules of the curse are quite clear that it doesn't matter who she blames, sells out or how much she bargains or pleads...the Lamia is only interested in the owner of the cursed object. I'd be sizing up potential button takers in that position too, even if I never dreamed about actually passing it on.

I think the brilliance of the film is that the stakes for the character are ASTRONOMICALLY out of this world. The curse is a major game changer. She will be forever in agony, there really is no escape (as the plot goes on the chances of escape are slimmer and slimmer). Even if she decided to be a martyr and keep the button and grab her boomstick on her decent to Hell, she's completely screwed. She is no match for the powers that will tear her soul apart for eternity. No one is.

In the end, I think Raimi does a great job of presenting a pretty believable and fallible character, who certainly has made missteps, but in the end is not the kind of person who would deserve an eternity of suffering that very few ever could deserve.

d2cheer
06-01-09, 11:43 AM
I'm in the minority. I wasn't blown away by this at all. I like the Evil Dead movies, but this felt like a 2009 version of Evil Dead 2, which I didn't need to see. I thought it dragged in places and I didn't think it was scary at all. Just a tad too over the top for me. I was hoping it'd be better. I also thought some of the audio was just downright annoying. Those screaming demon noises were way too loud. And it's far from the best horror movie in years.

This is nowhere close to The Descent

Pertty much feel the same way, I think I would have liked it better IF I had not seen any of the Evil Dead movies before. This just seemed like a rehash of those ones, with nothing new or interesting to add.

Agree with you on the Descent, can't on the other one.

tylergfoster
06-01-09, 02:41 PM
I've been flinging these ideas around in my head, too. And while i do agree with what you say, I don't think that the character is receiving proper sentencing for her crimes.The main thing it comes down to is that she just won't admit until after she thinks she's gotten rid of the curse that it was her decision to throw Sylvia out of her house, at the very end. She'll only backhandedly admit it to Sylvia's daughter (if that's who that girl at Sylvia's house was) when confronted about lying. She just thinks Sylvia's "a bitch" instead of considering on any really significant level if she herself is to blame. I suppose if she hadn't been consumed by the creatures of Hell, even regardless of everything terrible that happens in the movie, I don't know that she'd think twice about doing it again.

Yavin
06-01-09, 02:59 PM
The main thing it comes down to is that she just won't admit until after she thinks she's gotten rid of the curse that it was her decision to throw Sylvia out of her house, at the very end. She'll only backhandedly admit it to Sylvia's daughter (if that's who that girl at Sylvia's house was) when confronted about lying. She just thinks Sylvia's "a bitch" instead of considering on any really significant level if she herself is to blame. I suppose if she hadn't been consumed by the creatures of Hell, even regardless of everything terrible that happens in the movie, I don't know that she'd think twice about doing it again.

Doesn't matter whether she deserved it or not. Alison Lohman is way too cute for that fate :(

JackBurton
06-01-09, 03:31 PM
Fun little flick. I enjoyed it.

Though I am typically anti-cgi, and some of the cgi shots were admittedly poor, I didn't find it any more distracting than some of the low budget practical effects in ED2. That said, I would have preferred the charm of low budget practical effects.

Its rare that my wife and I go to the theater on a Saturday night, but we had a great time. The unruly audience was welcome with this type of movie.

Overall, a refreshing break from the lame remakes and Saw/Hostel creativity chasms that I've grown oh so tired of.

Daytripper
06-01-09, 03:35 PM
Fun little flick. I enjoyed it.

Though I am typically anti-cgi, and some of the cgi shots were admittedly poor, I didn't find it any more distracting than some of the low budget practical effects in ED2. That said, I would have preferred the charm of low budget practical effects.

Its rare that my wife and I go to the theater on a Saturday night, but we had a great time. The unruly audience was welcome with this type of movie.

Overall, a refreshing break from the lame remakes and Saw/Hostel creativity chasms that I've grown oh so tired of.

Ain't that the truth. I had "My Bloody Valentine" waiting for me from Netflix when I got home from seeing "DMTH", and I just around to watching it last night. Talking about going from a Filet Mignon to a Steakum. What a piece of shit that was. Not scary on any level, not interesting, horrible acting and writing. Even for that type of film, it's probably the worst of it's kind I've seen.

man*machine
06-01-09, 03:50 PM
Ain't that the truth. I had "My Bloody Valentine" waiting for me from Netflix when I got home from seeing "DMTH", and I just around to watching it last night. Talking about going from a Filet Mignon to a Steakum. What a piece of shit that was. Not scary on any level, not interesting, horrible acting and writing. Even for that type of film, it's probably the worst of it's kind I've seen.

Tell me about it. I saw that in 3-D theatrically and it was a pain sitting through even with the 3-D. I can't even imagine watching it flat. The usual generic genre remake put together by studio suits with nothing new brought to the table. I know the writer and director were fond of the original, but they sure didn't do anything fun with the material.

Even for those people who didn't like DRAG ME, there's no denying that Raimi revels in having fun as a director. You can just feel his ethusiasm flowing off the screen. So many modern genre films just feel so flat and by-the-numbers. Raimi proves that genre films can still be fun, even if the material may not be the most original or unique. It's the kind of movie that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place oh-so many years ago. I've often wondered why I still go see genre movies these days like the Ft13th remake and all the other junk because none of them are any good. DRAG ME makes me realize again why I ever liked the genre in the first place. THE DESCENT was excellent and probably a better "horror film" than DRAG, but DRAG was a lot more fun while watching it. And that counts for something.

The Bus
06-02-09, 07:09 AM
Saw this last night. It's up there with The Ring, The Descent, and Let the Right One In among the best horror movies of this decade (even if The Ring isn't strictly horror).

If I hadn't seen Up just a few days ago, this would be the best movie of the year for me. Just a great mixture of funny and scary, and even some of the The Mask-level CGI can't detract from the fun of this film.

The ending, which I should've seen coming a mile away, took me by surprise.

kristina
06-02-09, 11:48 AM
I saw this movie last night. It was overall incredibly enjoyable, although the ending was telegraphed from a million miles away.

Really? All through the movie I was hoping for that ening. If it would've ended in the extremely opposite way, I woulden't have liked the movie as much as I did.

Daytripper
06-02-09, 11:51 AM
Really? All through the movie I was hoping for that ening. If it would've ended in the extremely opposite way, I woulden't have liked the movie as much as I did.

Me too. And I'm with the Bus, because I wasn't expecting that ending at all. Guess I'm stupid.

kristina
06-02-09, 11:55 AM
This is nowhere close to The Descent, or even Let the Right One In. I'll take those two over this any day of the week.

In what way are you contrasting those two with DMTH? I found The Descent and LTROI to be quieter than Drag Me To Hell. LTROI overall had too many subtle scares to keep my interest. Sure DMTH had some over-the-top scares but the storylines are different in the other two movies you mentioned.

kristina
06-02-09, 11:57 AM
Me too. And I'm with the Bus, because I wasn't expecting that ending at all. Guess I'm stupid.

No you're not. I think maybe some ppl predicted that ending before even seeing the movie. Their predictions probably influenced them to not enjoy the movie as much and say "it wasen't as good as I hoped."

fearnet
06-02-09, 12:18 PM
Even for those people who didn't like DRAG ME, there's no denying that Raimi revels in having fun as a director. You can just feel his ethusiasm flowing off the screen. So many modern genre films just feel so flat and by-the-numbers. Raimi proves that genre films can still be fun, even if the material may not be the most original or unique. It's the kind of movie that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place oh-so many years ago. I've often wondered why I still go see genre movies these days like the Ft13th remake and all the other junk because none of them are any good. DRAG ME makes me realize again why I ever liked the genre in the first place. THE DESCENT was excellent and probably a better "horror film" than DRAG, but DRAG was a lot more fun while watching it. And that counts for something.

I agree with you here 100%. Even if you weren't the hugest fan of the movie, you gotta give it to Raimi for reminding us why we all love horror.

And for all the Evil Dead fans out there, FEARnet.com is streaming 'Evil Dead 2' (for free) to celebrate Raimi's return to horror. (Isn't that movie why we all gave DMTH a chance anyway?)

Jack with FEARnet

CaptainMarvel
06-02-09, 01:13 PM

I didn't say the ending was bad. It was just telegraphed.

The envelope at the beginning with the coin was a total Chekhov's gun. It had to play a role in the ending.

"I'll just conspicuously hide this coin inside an envelope, which the camera will make a point to focus on."
"Now I'll just hide this button, a crucial item that will save me from damnation, inside an identical envelope."
"Oops, we had a sudden stop and my envelope flew into the seat along with other papers and an envelope. I'll assume this is the right envelope without looking at it."
"Yay, I stuffed the envelope in the corpse. I'm saved! Movie's over, except for these last few scenes that won't have a twist at all."

I don't see how you don't see it coming if you're paying any sort of attention to the movie.

riotinmyskull
06-02-09, 02:14 PM
just got back from seeing this and thought it was a blast. yes i figured out the ending midway through but it didn't bother me. i rarely walk out of the theater after seeing a modern horror flick with a big grin on my face and this movie made me do just that. my only complaint was the use of lame cgi. seriously this is 2009 not 1999.

RocShemp
06-02-09, 02:25 PM
I did not predict the ending before I saw the movie. I predicted the ending the moment the seer placed the button in the envelope. Although I was slightly off as I thought the boyfriend would be the one to go to hell due to some technicality of his having received and accepted a gift (albeit a totally different gift) from her.

Did that ruin the movie? Certainly not. Did it keep the final act from living up 100% to what came before. Yes. But at least it was 95% there. :)

RD1973
06-03-09, 12:55 AM
In what way are you contrasting those two with DMTH? I found The Descent and LTROI to be quieter than Drag Me To Hell. LTROI overall had too many subtle scares to keep my interest. Sure DMTH had some over-the-top scares but the storylines are different in the other two movies you mentioned.

I think Drag Me to Hell was definitely the best of the three. The Descent was more predictable for me. And LTROI was very disappointing. It wasn't scary or creepy, just really boring. I know I'm gonna get torn apart for saying that. But it definitely did't live up to the hype. DMTH, on the other hand, was a blast (especially in a packed theater).

RocShemp
06-03-09, 01:34 AM
You're not alone, RD1973. There was nothing scary or creepy about Let The Right One In. It didn't help that I found the whole thing was incredibly predictable. Add to that that it was dreadfully boring, I don't get the hype at all. :shrug:

I disagree on The Descent, however. I love that it's technically not a horror film until the last 30 minutes. It had a great amount of tension built up so that it really payed off for me in the end.

As for Drag Me To Hell it was a fun ride from beginning to end, telegraphed final twist notwithstanding, and a breath of fresh air in a genre that's been gradually growing stale due to the more prominent "mainstream" horror flicks of late.

grrr
06-03-09, 03:44 AM
I disagree on The Decent, however.

Any director who would name his film "The Decent" has already given up completely. ;)

Saw DMTH last night and found it to be a great little flick full of the classic Raimi humor that we've come to expect. If anything, it out-Evil-Dead-ed the Evil Dead movies, which is high praise indeed considering that Bruce Campbell was nowhere to be found onscreen. Probably my favorite movie of the young summer (though I have yet to see Up, so that may change in the next few days).

grrr
06-03-09, 03:47 AM
I didn't say the ending was bad. It was just telegraphed.

The envelope at the beginning with the coin was a total Chekhov's gun. It had to play a role in the ending.

"I'll just conspicuously hide this coin inside an envelope, which the camera will make a point to focus on."
"Now I'll just hide this button, a crucial item that will save me from damnation, inside an identical envelope."
"Oops, we had a sudden stop and my envelope flew into the seat along with other papers and an envelope. I'll assume this is the right envelope without looking at it."
"Yay, I stuffed the envelope in the corpse. I'm saved! Movie's over, except for these last few scenes that won't have a twist at all."

I don't see how you don't see it coming if you're paying any sort of attention to the movie.

Raimi's playing with genre conventions here. Anyone who's seen the old Phantasm flicks knows that evil always triumphs when these sorts of stories play out, and I would expect nothing less of this film than to return to the genre standards.

RocShemp
06-03-09, 06:40 AM
Any director who would name his film "The Decent" has already given up completely. ;)

:lol: Dang typos! :blush:

Raimi's playing with genre conventions here. Anyone who's seen the old Phantasm flicks knows that evil always triumphs when these sorts of stories play out, and I would expect nothing less of this film than to return to the genre standards.

I have no issues with the actual conclusion. I didn't want a happy ending once this was all over. I just wish it hadn't been so telegraphed.

Charlie Goose
06-03-09, 03:26 PM
If your soul is at stake
take an extra 3 seconds and make certain that the cursed button is actually in the envelope before digging up the grave.

Solid Snake
06-03-09, 03:49 PM
Liked the ever loving fuck out of it. Pure Raimi film...that little head against car window moment...that was Bruce Campbell acting there..fun film. Really liked it. One of the best films of year so far. Hope this gets an ED4 to come up somehow...yeah..I still hope for it.

Brent L
06-03-09, 04:11 PM
I know it's quite early, but has any sort of talk of a possible sequel been mentioned yet? I highly doubt we'll have a Sam Raimi horror picture which has received critical praise, not to mention decent returns at the box office (and likely make big bucks on the DVD/BD releases) not have some sort of sequel.

notkevinbacon
06-03-09, 04:31 PM
^ I've thought about that too. Interesting to think where it would end up going (plot wise and tonally) if you look at the ED -> ED2 -> Army route.

Though I don't really want to see a sequel I can almost imagine one where Clay and Rham find a way to get into Hell and battle for Christine's soul. Lots of potential for Deadite battles galore. I mean, it's a pretty obvious idea for a follow up.

That being said, there's probably some potential there if the idea were fleshed out in any kind of way... but I really wouldn't ever want to see a sequel to this film. I appreciate the final scene and that, after all the goofiness and fun, the movie really ends with a punch to the nuts.

RocShemp
06-03-09, 04:43 PM
Actually, if we are indeed to follow the ED -> ED2 -> AOD pattern, DMTH2 would begin with a 15 - 20 minute recap of the first film that would only feature Christine, her boyfriend, and Mrs. Ganush. At the end of the recap we'll see that Christine somehow managed to claw her way out of hell, though temporarily demon possesed. Some disposable characters would later appear and Christine would be the final survivor stuck in either some medieval kingdom or perhaps purgatory. Part three would be her struggling to find her way back home while battling an evil double of herself and narrating the whole story to an unimpressed Ted Raimi. ;)

Brent L
06-03-09, 05:00 PM
Well all I know is that if they do indeed produce a sequel, I'll be there opening day.

kristina
06-04-09, 04:19 PM
You're not alone, RD1973. There was nothing scary or creepy about Let The Right One In. It didn't help that I found the whole thing was incredibly predictable. Add to that that it was dreadfully boring, I don't get the hype at all. :shrug:

Glad I'm not the only one. I became bored with it about an hour in so I just sent it back to Netflix w/o watching the conclusion. I do like the movie's poster though.

kristina
06-04-09, 04:22 PM
Well all I know is that if they do indeed produce a sequel, I'll be there opening day.

hmmm... I'm extremely skeptical about sequals. Even if it is done by the same director. Sometimes people just take the horror part and completely make it comedic for a sequal and that just ruins it for me.
If there were a sequal, I woulden't see any point in putting Alison Lohman in it unless she got into some sort of romantic relationship in Hell. That's the only way I'd be interested. I hate when sequals bring the main charecter back as some sort of "warning" to whomever the new live person who has to fight off the evil. That's why I diden't care for Rest Stop 2.

kristina
06-04-09, 04:26 PM
Before I forget, I'd love to see a SE DVD. It'd be great to have one or two commentary tracks and a few makeing-of features.

islandclaws
06-04-09, 04:58 PM
I'm sure the DVD/BD will have a commentary and (possibly) be the slightly longer R-rated cut.

RocShemp
06-04-09, 08:20 PM
I'm sure the DVD/BD will have a commentary and (possibly) be the slightly longer R-rated cut.

Huh? Where did you get that idea from? There didn't seem to be anything cut. Even the edgier scenes felt uncensored.

islandclaws
06-04-09, 08:25 PM
Huh? Where did you get that idea from? There didn't seem to be anything cut. Even the edgier scenes felt uncensored.

Raimi said that he cuts "frames" to secure an R-rating. From what I recall reading, what was cut had to do with an eyeball being gouged, or scooped, out.

RocShemp
06-04-09, 09:37 PM
Huh. I wonder how they'll market that? "Drag Me To Hell is now more intense in an exclusive unrated cut featuring 30 frames of footage you couldn't see in theatres!"

thegame370
06-04-09, 10:44 PM
Man o' man was this movie a complete waste! I don't mind a little comedy, some zingers in a horror movie, but this was ridiculous. I like the Evil Dead movies, but some parts of those movies genuinely scared me, not here. I had high hopes for this one, but i was completely let down. Trash.......

project86
06-05-09, 12:25 AM
Man o' man was this movie a complete waste! I don't mind a little comedy, some zingers in a horror movie, but this was ridiculous. I like the Evil Dead movies, but some parts of those movies genuinely scared me, not here. I had high hopes for this one, but i was completely let down. Trash.......

There were parts in the ED series that scared you?

grrr
06-05-09, 05:49 AM
To reiterate, DMTH is a fantastic movie.

If your best friend comes back with a negative review, leave him to listen to Aerosmith with the rest of his whittling IHOP-monkey toadies.

Labor
06-05-09, 08:20 AM
The movie doesnt need an R rated cut, its as effective as can be. A few frames of additional gore will add nothing, unless you are so unsecure that you cannot admit to liking a PG-13 horror movie

Oddly enough the two best US horror movies of this decade are PG-13, imo at least. Drag me to hell and The Ring

zero
06-06-09, 05:52 AM
Just got back from seeing it. Great flick can't wait for the disc!

RocShemp
06-06-09, 08:44 AM
The sound on this thing is insane! My HT is gonna get one hell of a workout! :drool:

CKMorpheus
06-06-09, 08:45 AM
Saw it last night with my little brother. We both loved it. Tense, funny, and FUN. Something that has been missing from horror movies for a long time. You can tell Sam Raimi had total control over his vision and enjoyed torturing his audience. Seeing this with a rowdy audience definitely added to the fun. And yes, the sound design was first class. Orndorf said it well, Drag Me To Hell is "a sophisticated cacophony of 360 degree demonic agony."

I think I was the only one in the theater though who got the reference to Evil Dead 2 with the laughing ghost.

Daytripper
06-06-09, 12:37 PM
This movie was a complete load of crap. Not scary, not funny, not much of anything. I've always said that Sam Raimi was a hack director, but I think this movie probably proves my point better than anything else.

Oh my.

Anubis2005X
06-06-09, 12:49 PM
Oh my.

:notrolls:

Supermallet
06-06-09, 01:51 PM
Saw this again yesterday. So much fun! I almost wish Raimi hadn't signed on to do the next two Spider-Man films so he can make smaller films again.

Aegean2007
06-06-09, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to say that I saw this today and I loved it. It's my favorite film of 2009 so far (I haven't seen Star Trek or Up yet, though, but I will in the next few weeks). It isn't my favorite horror movie of the decade, but it is my favorite American horror film of the decade, for sure.

I would rank them like this:

1. 28 Days Later...
2. The Descent
3. Let the Right One In
4. Drag Me to Hell
5. The Orphanage
6. [Rec]
7. High Tension
8. Inside
9. The Ring
10. The Host

That's just me, though.

RichC2
06-06-09, 04:40 PM
I absolutely hated the CG in this movie. The stuff with the shadows and practical effects was so well done that I was sad when it shifted gears, though I too want an anvil hanging in my shed.

There were a bunch of continuity errors (shots wise) but that didn't bug me so much, but damn that CG.

Entertaining flick outside of that, surprisingly effective storytelling despite going out of its way for laughs, it still managed to be a bit creepy in spots. "You old bitch!" was a great line, well delivered repeatedly and the animal scene was absolute gold.

Daytripper
06-06-09, 05:04 PM
Saw this again yesterday. So much fun!

Hey, so did I! And loved it as much as the first time. You know, I don't get all the people bad mouthing the CGI. Don't you think that's how Raimi wanted it to look? I mean, it's such an over the top/drive-in type movie anyway. He's got the dough and pull to have state of the art effects if he really wanted it.

RichC2
06-06-09, 05:09 PM
Hey, so did I! And loved it as much as the first time. You know, I don't get all the people bad mouthing the CGI. Don't you think that's how Raimi wanted it to look? I mean, it's such an over the top/drive-in type movie anyway. He's got the dough and pull to have state of the art effects if he really wanted it.

I don't know. Part of me felt like the CG was the modern equivalent to cheesy 1950s effects. On the other hand, the other effects are so well implemented that it seems like a complete waste to blow it with horrible CG effects. It really pulled me out of the movie, and was the only thing that felt inconsistent.

In the end, I think it was budget restraints more than anything.

Seantn
06-06-09, 05:47 PM
Raimi said that he cuts "frames" to secure an R-rating. From what I recall reading, what was cut had to do with an eyeball being gouged, or scooped, out.

No, in an interview with Aint-it-Cool-News, Raimi actually said that the only thing they had to do was use an alternate take of one shot during a scene in order to go from PG-13 to R, and because it was an alternate take, the R-rated cut is actually a few seconds shorter than the PG-13 cut.

tylergfoster
06-06-09, 08:28 PM
No, in an interview with Aint-it-Cool-News, Raimi actually said that the only thing they had to do was use an alternate take of one shot during a scene in order to go from PG-13 to R, and because it was an alternate take, the R-rated cut is actually a few seconds shorter than the PG-13 cut.I read that interview, and I thought he said he had to cut eight seconds.

dsa_shea
06-06-09, 09:08 PM
I read that interview, and I thought he said he had to cut eight seconds.

The new Unrated Cut with a whopping 8 seconds you couldn't see in the theaters. I thought the movie was fun but did rely a bit too much (and cheaply) on the soundtrack being too damn loud. The story was quite good but some of the scares were cheap and are the same kind of scares bitched about when they are done by any other director just trying to make a name for themself.

story
06-06-09, 10:05 PM
My wife and I really enjoyed this one. We had plenty of screams followed by laughs, which is perfect for this sort of film.

dr.sound
06-07-09, 12:08 AM
Having read these quotes:

I saw this last night. I'll post a full-length review later today, but in a nutshell: it's pretty good. There is some BAD CGI, some scenes that should be scary are a little too Raimi-goofy, the story isn't terribly original and the "3 days of torment" aren't very tormenting. I did like some of the practical FX work, the sound design (something I rarely notice) was fucking amazing(!) and the ending. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.

And

And
Yes, the sound was great. The screeching sounds she heard at home would circle itself around the theater. During the seance, when the noise gets so loud that even the characters are putting their hands up to their ears, I thought the theater's speakers were going to explode! Great stuff.

And

This movie ROCKED! So much fun. It has everything. And yes, the sound is a huge part of the experience. You must see it in a theater with a great sound system. Daniel, I do think this is up there with Raimi's best. And I'd give it a 10/10. Great great stuff.
And
I just saw this movie last night with a packed house and it was awesome! I don't scare easily, but the sound effects had me on edge the whole time.

I would like to thank those people who had positive comments about the Sound Mix.
My mixing partner Chris and I mixed "Drag Me To Hell" and we also had a blast working with Sam Raimi ! As for a comment about not hearing "enough in the surrounds", your Theater is out of whack! There is plenty in the surrounds!!
I like a very dynamic mix and I appreciate that most of you enjoyed it.

There is a great picture of ďThe Drag Me To Hell Sound CrewĒ at my site listed below. Click on "News".

I am standing to the right of Sam. Please note, Sam is holding a stapler in his hand.

dr.sound
06-07-09, 12:14 AM
Review:

Hereís something I rarely notice in films today: sound design. Drag Me To Hell has some of the most incredible sound Iíve heard in a theater in a long time. Itís abrasive, unnerving, tormenting and VERY FUCKING LOUD. I doubt this is going to win an Oscar or anything, though it should, but the sound design here alone is worth the price of admission. Iím sure itíll sound sweet as hell on a decent home theater system, but donít wait for the Blu-ray to come out. This is definitely something you need to experience in a theater. Raimi has always had a penchant for creative use of sound, Evil Dead II is a perfect example of this, but the uninitiated will be in for quite the auditory treat.

[/spoiler]
This was meant to be attached to my previous post

jeffkjoe
06-07-09, 12:51 AM
Looks so scary!

jeffkjoe
06-07-09, 02:19 AM
I'm glad that Raimi's returned to this genre

slop101
06-08-09, 12:35 AM
I would like to thank those people who had positive comments about the Sound Mix.
My mixing partner Chris and I mixed "Drag Me To Hell" and we also had a blast working with Sam Raimi ! As for a comment about not hearing "enough in the surrounds", your Theater is out of whack! There is plenty in the surrounds!!
I like a very dynamic mix and I appreciate that most of you enjoyed it.

There is a great picture of “The Drag Me To Hell Sound Crew” at my site listed below. Click on "News".

I am standing to the right of Sam. Please note, Sam is holding a stapler in his hand.I have to say, that while DMTH's sound mix was fantastic, it was loud as hell (at least my theater was) - I'm talking deafeningly loud - there were moments where I'd anticipate a loud noise, and plug my ears so they wouldn't hurt. The first movie I attended in a theater was Star Wars in '77, and I have never ever had to do something like this because of volume. And I play in loud rock bands! Speaking of which, I've gone to plenty of concerts that were not nearly as loud.

Anyways, fantastic flick - my only problem was the lame convention of misplacing the button with the coin, which I called right away - a really cheap gimmick. Yeah sure, that sort of thing is a staple of such movies, but that doesn't excuse it.

RocShemp
06-08-09, 12:48 AM
I have to say, that while DMTH's sound mix was fantastic, it was loud as hell (at least my theater was) - I'm talking deafeningly loud - there were moments where I'd anticipate a loud noise, and plug my ears so they wouldn't hurt. The first movie I attended in a theater was Star Wars in '77, and I have never ever had to do something like this because of volume. And I play in loud rock bands! Speaking of which, I've gone to plenty of concerts that were not nearly as loud.

I'm inclined to say it was your theater. Though very loud, it's nowhere close to the two loudest movie experience I had to deal with. Those were Hellboy II and Taken. In both instances, something as simple as dialogue was deafening. I had to get out from my seat and demand the volume be lowered on several ocasions during Hellboy II until they finally brought it down.

Both those films sound just right at home. I'm sure DMTH will be no different.

Sanjuro37
06-08-09, 12:58 AM
The best movie Raimi's made since Evil Dead II. His B-movie dialogue was intentional again and not a drag on mainstream movies, the low budget got him back to working with physical props instead of CG (case in point: the weakest aspect of the film is its CGI), and with the horror-comedy we know and love. I saw the end coming from a mile away, but I haven't laughed so hard for a single scene since the frosting bit of Zack and Miri.

slop101
06-08-09, 01:16 AM
I'm inclined to say it was your theater. Though very loud, it's nowhere close to the two loudest movie experience I had to deal with. Those were Hellboy II and Taken. In both instances, something as simple as dialogue was deafening. I had to get out from my seat and demand the volume be lowered on several ocasions during Hellboy II until they finally brought it down.

Both those films sound just right at home. I'm sure DMTH will be no different.It's not even close, as I don't remember Hellboy 2 being particularly loud. I even saw it in the same movie theater. Drag's volume-level blows it (and all others) out of the water. I should point out that as loud as it was, not once did it distort, clip or suffer any negative effects - except for maybe my ears bleeding...

dsa_shea
06-08-09, 01:30 AM
Drag Me To Deafness is what this movie could have been called. I really liked the movie but thought that the boosted soundtrack was used cheaply to get some scares. And some of the other jump out from behind scares are no different than what a no name director would use in his or her first movie and get reamed for.

RocShemp
06-08-09, 01:31 AM
It's not even close, as I don't remember Hellboy 2 being particularly loud. I even saw it in the same movie theater. Drag's volume-level blows it (and all others) out of the water. I should point out that as loud as it was, not once did it distort, clip or suffer any negative effects - except for maybe my ears bleeding...

Well neither film I mentioned was ridiculously loud on their own. Which is why I mentioned that they sounded fine at home when I purchased them on BD. In my case, the theater had jacked up the audio way too loud. Fortunately, I didn't experience that with drag me to hell. It was really loud but somehow within reason.

dr.sound
06-08-09, 04:29 AM
I have to say, that while DMTH's sound mix was fantastic, it was loud as hell (at least my theater was) - I'm talking deafeningly loud - there were moments where I'd anticipate a loud noise, and plug my ears so they wouldn't hurt. The first movie I attended in a theater was Star Wars in '77, and I have never ever had to do something like this because of volume. And I play in loud rock bands! Speaking of which, I've gone to plenty of concerts that were not nearly as loud.

How do I respond? I guess you would have mixed it differently.
As for playing in a rock bands and going to concerts that weren't as loud,
the difference is dynamics. The movie was mixed with dynamics, most rock bands have none.
I don't want to get into an argument with a guy I don't know so on that note.....

dr.sound
06-08-09, 04:32 AM
Drag Me To Deafness is what this movie could have been called. I really liked the movie but thought that the boosted soundtrack was used cheaply to get some scares. And some of the other jump out from behind scares are no different than what a no name director would use in his or her first movie and get reamed for.

Nice shot, or should I say "Cheap Shot"?
Boosted soundtrack? Once again, dynamics. Some day you guys should attend a Feature Film Mix .

Seantn
06-08-09, 05:05 AM
Is that an invitation, or should we all go down to our local Feature Film Mix Store?

;)

RocShemp
06-08-09, 06:24 AM
All kidding aside, if dr.sound's offer is on the money, I'd definitely go as I find the subject quit fascinating. :up:

mdc3000
06-08-09, 08:04 AM
If it was 'too loud' it was your theatre jacking the volume - even if you saw another movie in that same theatre and it was fine, the volume is automated and sometimes screws up (ie. the theatre I worked at volume for trailers/ads was 4.0, movie starts volume goes to 5.5)... there were times when it would (for no explicable reason) jump up to 6.5 or 7.0 instead of 5.5 and being a good projectionist who would check all 12 projectors when the film started, I'd manually lower it back to where it was supposed to be - perhaps that theatre that blew your eardrums out just had it cranked for no good reason.

When I was working at the theatre, we screened KILL BILL the night before and the other projectionist cranked it up to 7.0 - with just two guys in the theatre - management went home with the keys to the projection booth so we couldn't turn it down - I had to get up 20 minutes in, grab napkins and make makeshift earplugs out of them because it physically hurt. Saw it again the next night with the proper volume setting and it was fantastic- so it's probably not the mix, it's your theatre :P

RichC2
06-08-09, 08:13 AM
The audio in our theater sucked, and I was pissed after hearing so many great things about the audio in the movie. It wasn't loud at all and nothing popped out as a "loud sound to startle", and the surround appeared to be muffled.

dr.sound
06-08-09, 10:21 AM
If it was 'too loud' it was your theatre jacking the volume - even if you saw another movie in that same theatre and it was fine, the volume is automated and sometimes screws up (ie. the theatre I worked at volume for trailers/ads was 4.0, movie starts volume goes to 5.5)... there were times when it would (for no explicable reason) jump up to 6.5 or 7.0 instead of 5.5 and being a good projectionist who would check all 12 projectors when the film started, I'd manually lower it back to where it was supposed to be - perhaps that theatre that blew your eardrums out just had it cranked for no good reason.

When I was working at the theatre, we screened KILL BILL the night before and the other projectionist cranked it up to 7.0 - with just two guys in the theatre - management went home with the keys to the projection booth so we couldn't turn it down - I had to get up 20 minutes in, grab napkins and make makeshift earplugs out of them because it physically hurt. Saw it again the next night with the proper volume setting and it was fantastic- so it's probably not the mix, it's your theatre :P
If your theater is "calibrated", you should play the sound at "7.0" on the Dolby Box. That is the calibrated level that the movie was mixed at.
5.5 is way too low.
Sorry guys but Features are mixed at a calibrated level .
The Theater should at least start at "7.0" and move down to 6.5 or at the lowest 6.0. The setting of 4.5 is about 20 db below the calibrated level.

slop101
06-08-09, 10:57 AM
How do I respond? I guess you would have mixed it differently.
As for playing in a rock bands and going to concerts that weren't as loud,
the difference is dynamics. The movie was mixed with dynamics, most rock bands have none.
I don't want to get into an argument with a guy I don't know so on that note.....Like I said, the actual mix itself was fine - better than fine actually, it was flat-out fantastic - it was just unbearably loud in a lot of parts - mostly where there's high-pitched shrieking.

Yavin
06-08-09, 11:04 AM
The audio in our theater sucked, and I was pissed after hearing so many great things about the audio in the movie. It wasn't loud at all and nothing popped out as a "loud sound to startle", and the surround appeared to be muffled.

Ditto in the theater I saw it at on opening weekend. It was far from being too loud. Perhaps that was why I found the jump scares ineffective.

Not to mention whoever was running the booth didn't dim the lights until about 10 minutes into the movie, and audience members were still chatting and using their cellphones during this time.

man*machine
06-08-09, 11:35 AM
It is a shame that some theaters apparently are showing it improperly with the wrong sound levels, pretty much ruining all the work dr.sound and others put into the mix. The sound in this film was really a major key in why the film as a whole was so effective. And I usually hate loud noise and usually try to plug my ears during all the noisy annoying trailers prior to the film. But DMTH was exquisite in its layered loudness. I don't have a surround set-up at home (and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to recreate the intensity of the sound as my neighbors would most likely object) so seeing this in the theater a couple of times was essential. May go back once more before it's gone.

toddly6666
06-08-09, 12:48 PM
Drag Me To Hell is currently the number 1 film ranked per the American Blind Peoples Association due to the care put into the soundtrack and sound mixing.

dr.sound
06-08-09, 03:21 PM
Drag Me To Hell is currently the number 1 film ranked per the American Blind Peoples Association due to the care put into the soundtrack and sound mixing.

That's funny! Good one.:rimshot:

freshticles
06-08-09, 04:26 PM
Saw this last night. While I was waiting to grab some snacks, I saw a former student who advised me that this movie sucked. He is a Nickelback fan so I wasn't taking too much of what he said to heart. At this point the counter girl started jawing about how much this movie sucked. I said that I doubted it did, and that she probably just doesn't understand the horror-comedy genre to which she replied that she was an 'expert' on horror movies. Apparently the kids at the theatre wear name tags with their favorite movies on them, and this is when I noticed that she was wearing a tag that said '13 ghosts'. I said 'wait a second, you're not even allowed an opinion. you;re wearing a 13 ghosts tag'. She told me it was one o the greatest movies ever and gave me back my change (17 cents) completely in pennies which I tossed all over the counter and left.
Anyways, the movie was amazing. Loved every minute of it. I loved all the throwbacks to the evil dead triliogy, the humor, the scares, the sound, everything. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years.

RichC2
06-08-09, 04:48 PM
Saw this last night. While I was waiting to grab some snacks, I saw a former student who advised me that this movie sucked. He is a Nickelback fan so I wasn't taking too much of what he said to heart. At this point the counter girl started jawing about how much this movie sucked. I said that I doubted it did, and that she probably just doesn't understand the horror-comedy genre to which she replied that she was an 'expert' on horror movies. Apparently the kids at the theatre wear name tags with their favorite movies on them, and this is when I noticed that she was wearing a tag that said '13 ghosts'. I said 'wait a second, you're not even allowed an opinion. you;re wearing a 13 ghosts tag'. She told me it was one o the greatest movies ever and gave me back my change (17 cents) completely in pennies which I tossed all over the counter and left.
Anyways, the movie was amazing. Loved every minute of it. I loved all the throwbacks to the evil dead triliogy, the humor, the scares, the sound, everything. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years.

rotfl

I love this post.

riotinmyskull
06-08-09, 05:01 PM

maybe she was talking about william castle's thirteen ghosts...

freshticles
06-08-09, 06:17 PM
maybe she was talking about william castle's thirteen ghosts...

I don't think so. She had faded blue streaks in her hair and was probably 16.

Seantn
06-08-09, 06:25 PM
If your theater is "calibrated", you should play the sound at "7.0" on the Dolby Box. That is the calibrated level that the movie was mixed at.
5.5 is way too low.
Sorry guys but Features are mixed at a calibrated level .
The Theater should at least start at "7.0" and move down to 6.5 or at the lowest 6.0. The setting of 4.5 is about 20 db below the calibrated level.

It's okay, I forgive you.

zombeaner
06-08-09, 07:46 PM
I don't think so. She had faded blue streaks in her hair and was probably 16.

Unfair generalization. At 16 I had a mohawk and may have said the same thing.

RocShemp
06-08-09, 07:48 PM
Is it okay that I never even heard of 13 Ghosts? :scratch2: