TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles--"Queen's Gambit"--2/11/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles--"Queen's Gambit"--2/11/08

Photobucket

From the previews it looks like a more action-oriented episode.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Sarah's friend Andy enters his computer into a chess competition. While at the event, Sarah meets a stranger (Brian Austin Green) who shares a similar past. Meanwhile, Cameron undergoes grief counseling at school, and Agent Ellison tries to make sense out of the carnage resulting from a terminator clash. Andy Goode: Brendan Hines. Charley Dixon: Dean Winters.

Old 02-11-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
They moved the show to Monday ???
Old 02-11-08, 05:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is on Fox, they love moving shows around.
Old 02-11-08, 06:56 AM

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
"Cameron undergoes grief counseling at school..."

"...and hilarity ensues!"

This could be painful.
Old 02-11-08, 09:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by wearetheborg
other than part 1 of the pilot, hasn't it always been on Mondays?
Old 02-11-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Uhhh, it's always been on Monday's. The pilot premiered on a Sunday.
Old 02-11-08, 02:18 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How come Cameron acted SO human when John met her then all of a sudden shes an ice cold clueless robot. When he met her she was friendly and smiling and NORMAL
what the hell switched that off?
Old 02-11-08, 02:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
How come Cameron acted SO human when John met her then all of a sudden shes an ice cold clueless robot. When he met her she was friendly and smiling and NORMAL
maybe some of the massive beatings she's taken at the hands of bulkier Terminators took a bit of a toll?
Old 02-11-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

There has been many theories about Cameron, but I assume it's just a continuity error by the writers since the pilot was shot so far in advance before episode 2-9 were written and filmed.
Old 02-11-08, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered about that myself but I somewhat agree with a theory I read that says Cameron didn't necessarily know that the terminator was going to attack John so quickly and therefore needed to seem natural around John to befriend him. But once Cromartie attacked that put Cameron firmly into "Protect John Conner Mode". I think as the show moves forward we'll see her act more human each episode.

Or yeah maybe they really fucked up with continuity from the pilot.
Old 02-11-08, 02:46 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

boy i sounded grouchy in that last post. Ive been catching up on all the previous TTSCC threads and have been making mental notes.

I like the series generally. There are lots of holes and lazy mistakes but I really like the terminator universe and ill give it the whole run of 9 episodes.

WRT my question above I think they were trying to recreate the 'charm' of the robot trying to be human from T2. BUT they already showed she can act human when required and had to conveniently forget it to get some interaction between her and John. small nitpick.
Old 02-11-08, 02:55 PM

boy i sounded grouchy in that last post. Ive been catching up on all the previous TTSCC threads and have been making mental notes.

I like the series generally. There are lots of holes and lazy mistakes but I really like the terminator universe and ill give it the whole run of 9 episodes.

WRT my question above I think they were trying to recreate the 'charm' of the robot trying to be human from T2. BUT they already showed she can act human when required and had to conveniently forget it to get some interaction between her and John. small nitpick.
Well we really only see two exchanges where she acts human and in total I suppose they probably equal about 15 seconds of screen time. I really have a hard time believing they would overlook something like that on the very first episode of a show.

So long as we're nitpicking, seeing the terminator fight sequences in T2 was totally awesome how they just sorta grab each other by the collar and slam each other into walls. But by the end of T3 I was like "wow these terminators need some new moves". It's going to get pretty lame watching those fight sequences every week. I really hope the show doesn't become completely repetitive. And if it can pull off some good eps in the remaining weeks I hope we get another season order
Old 02-11-08, 03:38 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

realistically I dont think its possible to 'kill' a terminator without a "Laser pulse rifle in the 40Watt Range" We've only seen them temporarily 'reboot' when the damage overloads them, with bullets or other trauma. I think when two terminators fight, thats their goal. Its not like they can grab the throat or do anything else that would really matter.

edit--what about gouging out the occular lenses behind the eyeballs? Perhaps not viable with a TV rating.
Old 02-11-08, 04:27 PM

That's "Phase Plasma Rifle"
Old 02-11-08, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marka351
It is on Fox, they love moving shows around.
How do you even respond to something like this??
Old 02-11-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Considering the turd that was last week's show, I hope this "action" filled episode is better.
Old 02-11-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I thought this episode was definitely better than last week.
I'm sure a lot of you will come in and say you saw the twist with Brian Austin Green coming from a mile away, but it got me. It's was a nice jaw-dropping moment.
Old 02-11-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Also, did anyone else think it looked like Cameron showed remorse after she shut down the other T-888? There was the "look" right afterwards and then at the end when she seemingly sits down to write about it.
Old 02-11-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright... I'll admit it. That episode got me. I'm hooked.

-Doc
Old 02-11-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Another good episode, but geesh lots of characters. I'm having a hard time keeping track of who's who--especially since several kinda look the same...
Old 02-11-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought this episode took forever (well, 40 minutes) to gain some traction, but I do think the action is getting ramped up to a more expected level for my tastes.
Old 02-11-08, 11:24 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed this episode. I hope it's a sign that series is starting to find its footing, and not a temporary thing.

Here's a quote from Summer Glau about the personality shift from the pilot to the rest of the series:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...-lovin-wi.html

We did make some changes, and people will notice that from the pilot to the series," she says. "We were experimenting with Cameron quite a bit, and we wanted her to be able to seem human. We wanted especially John to be fooled by her, so that he would let her into his life. And so in the pilot, I do act very human. And then as I go through the series, it appears that I've taken steps back and that I am acting more like a terminator would. We did that for several different reasons, but I know for me it's fun because I get to take more time for her development, her human development. I think that it also is funny and I think once her cover was blown with the Connors, she kind of was able to drop that persona and become who she really is around them.
Old 02-12-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I call shotgun"
"I call 9 millimeter"

Old 02-12-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
so how did the T888 manage to get himself locked up in jail waiting for Brian Austin Green? Perhaps, they don't have metal detectors in prisons.
Old 02-12-08, 12:14 AM
Cool New Member

That's similar to another interview I read where she had not seen a Terminator movie even after getting the part and was inspired by Arnie's progression from deadly terminator to more human-ish emotions... Arnie doesn't even kill a single human even though his first instinct is to kill anything that gets in the way of his mission. John teaches him to start valuing life. In the fire fight at Cyberdyne's headquarters his read out said plainly: Casualties: zero.

Part of this evolution of Cameron is that now she's not just emulating human actions like a puppet on programmed strings, but becoming self aware with all its problems and glorious eye-opening potential because of it.

She was starting to understand that by actually killing (by pulling the CPU, so it had no chance at recovery) a fellow terminator (she has never actually been shown fully destroying one before-- knocking them about and roughing them up, but not going all the way) she was ending its existance... seeing the cause and effect like the suicidal girl and what that did to people and caused grief and sadness.

Now, we don't know if she's writing a note to the suicide girl, Jordan, or to the terminator she killed. I guess we'll find out some more later.

Though, now that a Reese is amongst them he will be fully suspicious of Cameron... John and Sarah trust her, but he does not. More than likely this model or Cameron herself tried to kill him, Kyle, or John in the Future before her Skynet programming was erased. Look at the scene when he first sees her jump into the van. There's a moment of recognition on Cameron's face, and Reese immediately tries to kill her.

Although they're still working the kinks out, the show is definitely getting better.

Last edited by Goofy4Movies; 02-12-08 at 12:21 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.