Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How good is Netflix's online streaming service? Good selection of new releases?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Its been a while since I've had Netflix or Blockbuster Online and am currently trying to decide on which service to pick up again.

I noticed that Netflix now offers unlimited hours of viewing streaming movies, and was curious how good the selection is, especially regarding new release movies and tv shows. Is it worth making the move for Netflix vs. Blockbuster? When I had blockbuster I did enjoy being able to get 5 or so free rentals a month via in store trade in's, but am curious if this online system is worth it.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-10-08, 06:58 PM

Selection is pretty sparse, particularly on new releases. At least your queue does show you the movies that they have available.

Video quality is less than DVD but is acceptable. It is good for TV shows (which do have a little better availability, but still lacking).

It's a nice extra feature, but you would probably be disappointed if that was the main reason to subscribe. I am sure that they are working on increasing the resolution, but the quality/download speed will always be an issue.

Oh, and it doesn't work on OS X (macs), at least yet.
Old 02-10-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
One of my buddies has Netflix solely for the online viewing. He thinks it's worthwhile.

As far as new releases, it's getting better. There is a pretty decent collection of tv shows, independent films, and classics.

Quality is fine on the computers I use the feature on. I don't know how it would look hooked up to a tv.
Old 02-11-08, 10:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Make sure you have the very latest updates for Windows Media if you are running XP. I think the selection sucks as far as new releases go if you like mainstream movies. It also sucks that they don't support anything but Microsoft for viewing the movies.
Old 02-11-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I use NetFlix's online viewing feature (called "Watch Now" or "Watch Instantly" by NetFlix) a lot. You really need a 3 Mbps Internet connection or better to get the most benefit from it because at that speed, the picture quality is comparable to DVD quality. A slower connection still works, but the picture quality takes a hit. Their software also does a good job queueing up because I never get dropouts.

The selection is still thin on major films, but is gradually getting better. The selection on documentaries, though, is very good and that's what I usually use it for. And the selection on TV series has gotten better recently, with entire seasons of some good shows (ex "The Office") available for viewing.
Old 02-11-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Netflix indicated that they'll add support for Mac OS by June of this year, so I'll be able to stream on my Mac vs. having to switch computers (I work primarily on a Mac).

I get more availability on the arthouse movies in my queue than anything else. I believe they are showing availability of movies that align with your taste in movies (or at least, those most often rented and rated).
Old 02-21-08, 01:20 PM

As a Mac user, I'd love this to be true, but I caution that the last I heard, Netflix has indicated that they hope to add Mac support this year (2008), but there has been no hard promise as of yet, and certainly no date announced yet.

Originally Posted by Sparrow
Netflix indicated that they'll add support for Mac OS by June of this year, so I'll be able to stream on my Mac vs. having to switch computers (I work primarily on a Mac).

I get more availability on the arthouse movies in my queue than anything else. I believe they are showing availability of movies that align with your taste in movies (or at least, those most often rented and rated).
Old 02-23-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I use Blockbuster now. I think its great. As far as mail in goes the turnaround time is similar to Netflix (I used Netflix about a year ago). The kicker for me was the in store trade in. As we all know new releases get put on "long wait" almost immediately. So the in store trade in is great as new releases are readily available.