Reload this Page >

My stupid pledge. Games be gone.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-07-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a huge number of games. I have over 30 I have not even opened and countless more unfinished. Why the hell did I even buy them when I knew I didn't have time to play them. Well all that ends today. I will not buy another game until I finished or sold 12 games.

I know some of you poor souls are in the same boat I'm in. But you choose to do nothing about it. Take control of your games. Don't let the games play you.

I'll be honest, this might not last a day,but I'm going to try my best. If I don't make it, well it was nice knowing you.

I did buy a ps3 a few days ago so I'm probably setting myself up to fail since I got one without any games. Why must I torment myself. Damn you Baron. Damn you to hell.
Old 02-07-08, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it helps you feel better, Send me some of the games and ill finish them for you and let you know how it was.
Old 02-07-08, 06:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
As long as there are no major releases until the end of March, I think I'll be able to avoid buying any new games.
Old 02-07-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I know what you mean. Hell, I almost bought a PS3 Monday night and I know that would've just added to the problem.

Anyway, I still have 360 many games that need to be finished, and 2 Wii games that I'm not sure if I'll ever finish. Yet just the other day I bought Overlord for the 360 knowing full well I'm still working on a few other games.

Hey, some people buy crack...I buy Video Games.
Old 02-07-08, 06:13 PM

thats sorta my problem. i got bioshock boxing day for cheap aswell as metroid prime 3, ratchet (ps3) and havnt even opened them. i really have no time to use em.
Old 02-07-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I don't buy all that many games, but since the release of Halo3, I've been a bit out of control myself. I want to finish these games:

Halo 3 campaign (Half way done)
Bioshock (Near the end, want to play at a harder level also)
Call of Duty 4 (Just finished on 'medium', wanna do veteran)
Crackdown (Finished, but wanna find orbs & do achievements)
Dead Rising (LOL, not sure where the Hell I left off)
Burnout: Revenge (Still have some stars to earn)
Oblivion (Since I had to get a new 360, I have alot to do)
Tomb Raider: Legend (Still sealed I think)
The Simpsons (I got the "Press Start" achievement)
Rock Band (Never ends. Almost done w/expert on guitar, done w/vox & drums on med.)
GH3 (Lost interest, need to finish expert)
GH2 (Need 3 songs on expert)
Bankshot Billiards (Still have some golf/trick shots)
PacMan CE (Lots left to do...frustrating)
Poker Smash (Just started)

I'm hoping I don't have anything lined up to buy until Fallout comes out.
Old 02-07-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

That's the way I see it. I don't drink, I don't smoke, no drugs either. There are a lot worse things to waste your money and/or time on.

I had about 30 unfinished/un-played games as of a week or so ago. I put up about 15 on half.com and only have a few left so far that haven't sold. It helps that there is only one game on the way that has me jazzed for the next few months, Condemned. I don't have any interest in any of the major titles on all three platforms this year. Of course there could be a "crackdown" this year that comes out of nowhere and takes everyone by storm.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-07-08 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a ton of ps1 rpgs I have not touched. I figure if I can get at a reasonable price (I don't mind used) I will eventually get around to it. Might as well buy it now, than realizing you want to play it later and it is near unavailable.
Old 02-07-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mh4268
Might as well buy it now, than realizing you want to play it later and it is near unavailable.
Or conversely, wait to buy a game until you're ready to play it and maybe get it on the cheap.

I still have a stack of XBOX 1 games that I have yet to play. Buffy, Stranger Odd's Wrath, Ultimate Alliance (whick I will probably rebuy to play on the 360), Incredible Hulk, and Psychonauts to name a few. My backlog isn't that bad, so I don't mind it, but I can definitely sympathize with those of you with extensive backlogs. I thread like this popped up a while ago, and some of the crew here had massive lists of unplayed games.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.
Old 02-07-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Or conversely, wait to buy a game until you're ready to play it and maybe get it on the cheap.
I've been trying to do that.
Old 02-08-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My games are piling up. I'm just more into a movie watching phase lately.
Old 02-08-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
There's plenty of time for both, why limit yourself?
Old 02-08-08, 06:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I'm a collector (hoarder?). I have over 1,000 unfinished games. Yes, one thousand. This goes back to the Atari 2600 games and includes lots of PC games.

I never buy a game planning to never play it, but I buy so many, there is no possible time to play them all. And once I get to the point where I know I probably won't play it, I can convince myself to keep it for "collection" reasons, or it usually just isn't worth the hassle. Plus, for a lot of them, I really do think that I may go back and replay them someday, if only for an hour or less for nostalgia alone.

I vowed to be different with my newest system, the 360. I only have a dozen or so games. I just finished my first one. There are a few that I'll probably not want to finish, the BK games, but I'm keeping them for the novelty/collector aspect, plus they're worthless anyway.
Old 02-08-08, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a stupid pledge.

Horde. You know you want to.
Old 02-08-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I recently joined Gametz.com. I have just about every PS1 rpg ever, don't know when that pile is gonna stop collecting dust. In fact of the two dozen titles I've gotten the only one I've played come to think of it is Killer Instinct Gold.
Old 02-08-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I'd say between the Wii, DS, PS2 and PS3 I have about 24 unfinished or untouched games.

I think my problem is I see the reviews on day one and get pumped to play them so I buy them right away. Then they sit because my nature is to finish one game before I start another.

At least with all the Guitar Hero games and Rock Band I get my money's worth, as those seem to live outside the "must finish one to start another" mentality.

The worst part is by the time I get to a lot of these games, they've already price dropped.
Old 02-08-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got just about 800 games I either haven't played or still have to finish going back to the Gensis and SNES days. I keep buying them, especially RPGs cuz I don't want to miss out or for collectible reasons. I actually haven't had any time to play the past year but I'm sure I picked up at least another 30 games.
Old 02-08-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Oh, thought you accidentally sprayed Pledge on your discs and fucked em up. We need more lemon pledge.

Yeah, I'm in a similar watercraft and need to be doing the same.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-08-08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 10:37 AM

Yea, I am in the same boat. Fact is, I know I will never get around to even coming close to finishing most my current games, I don't want to even think about older games that I purchased and never even played (Hello? I own every friggin' single North American 3DO game - most never played). I recently bought a PS3 and the only game I bought for it was Rachet and Clank, which I did manage to finish, but until I actually catch up on my 360 games, I doubt I buy anymore.

< - still thinkin of collecting a bunch of SNES games I lost the last time I moved - >
Old 02-08-08, 11:14 AM

I'm in the same boat. I still have games from back in the Sega Genesis/CD days that I have either never played or partly played. I hate to admit it but I am a hoarder of games, especially rpgs since the majority of them go out of print after 3 hot seconds. I've lost count of how many games I have among all the game systems that me and my husband share. I don't think I'll ever be able to finish a quarter of the stuff I have but I know I'll try my damndest to do so.
Old 02-08-08, 11:17 AM

I don't even try now'a'days. I just box it all up in the closet. Before my wife and I had our daughters, I had a dedicated gaming room, but now that we live in a small apartment with two kids, that is gone. I fully expect that when we buy a house, the gaming room will be resurrected with some modifications ( must..own...a Killer Instinct...arcade..machine).
Old 02-08-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, too, am a game hoarder. I have probably a couple hundred TG16/PCE games (several *are* finished, though!), over a hundred 3DO games, almost every Jaguar cart/CD game released, a buttload of GB/GBC/GBA games, a pile of N64 and Dreamcast games, and overall I'd say 90% are unfinished. I keep thinking I can go back and play these games, but I'm still picking up the occasional game for the Wii (and still no time to play very much!). At least I've been able to resist buying a new PS3 or Xbox console.
Old 02-08-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
When I got a Slim PS2 a couple years back, it was the first console I had owned since the NES. I ended up buying a crap load of games just because they were good, and ended up only completing a couple of them (Both God of War games, I think) with a bunch of RPG's and such left out to dry (FFX, FFX-2, DQ8, FF12, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus).

I've since learned my lesson with the 360, and have been good about buying one or two games and playing them to completion before even thinking about moving on.
Old 02-08-08, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
I, too, am a game hoarder. I have probably a couple hundred TG16/PCE games (several *are* finished, though!), over a hundred 3DO games, almost every Jaguar cart/CD game released, a buttload of GB/GBC/GBA games, a pile of N64 and Dreamcast games, and overall I'd say 90% are unfinished. I keep thinking I can go back and play these games, but I'm still picking up the occasional game for the Wii (and still no time to play very much!). At least I've been able to resist buying a new PS3 or Xbox console.

I'm glad I am not the only one who has a ton of 3DO games. Also own every released Virtual Boy game and I've completed exactly zero of those. Don't even get me started on the Dreamcast, which I hoarded like a madman...Or the Saturn, which I own two of, one domestic and one imported.

I don't even own a PS2 now, as I gave my original launch PS2 to my father, who is disabled. He loves playing the Madden games, so I figured at least someone would get use of it. Downside is that I still have around a 100 PS2 titles in the closet. Been thinking of picking up a PS2 slim here soon, as I do have some interest in playing the Kingdom Hearts games.
Old 02-08-08, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the way I see it. I don't drink, I don't smoke, no drugs either. There are a lot worse things to waste your money and/or time on.
I had about 30 unfinished/un-played games as of a week or so ago. I put up about 15 on half.com and only have a few left so far that haven't sold. It helps that there is only one game on the way that has me jazzed for the next few months, Condemned. I don't have any interest in any of the major titles on all three platforms this year. Of course there could be a "crackdown" this year that comes out of nowhere and takes everyone by storm.

one of the best things ive read in a while. i am the same

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.