Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO Cancels Inside The NFL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 01:20 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
HBO Cancels Inside The NFL!!!

After 31 years of hands down the best NFL weekly recap show on TV HBO has pulled the plug on the only show I watch every week.

I'm really pissed right now... first the Sopranos now this. I'm calling Charter cable tomorrow to cancel my premium tier... I have no reason to have it anymore now that I can get Entourage season sets for $20. I'll seriously look into switching to satellite (Dish or Direct TV) at least they carry the NFL network. So I can still get my NFL Films fix.

So I'm open to suggestions, what's the satellite of choice fellow DVDTalkers?
Old 02-07-08, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sucks! i would always look forward to see what teams they would pick to win.. wanted to see who was picking the chargers.
Old 02-07-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where do you see them canceling inside the nfl
Old 02-07-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Home Box Office is passing on its long-running series Inside The NFL after 31 years.

Tonight’s episode will be the last for the series, which since 1977 has recapped the prior week’s National Football League games via highlights and analysis from hosts Bob Costas and former NFL players Dan Marino, Cris Carter and Cris Collinsworth. That show, which will recap the New York Giants Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots, will feature a short retrospective of the series’ history, according to HBO executives.

Director of Corporate Communications Dan Masonson said the league plans to continue the highlights show next season with another network, although he would not provide specific details.

Inside The NFL was one of the first studio shows to offer post-game highlights and analysis of weekly NFL games, but today faces a bevy of competition from similar shows on such cable networks as ESPN.

“Inside the NFL has been a hallmark program for three decades on HBO,” HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg said in a statement. “It has been a terrific franchise … but the television landscape has changed quite a bit over the last 30 years and we have to recognize the realities of the business. I’m not sure we had more than one competitor when the show launched.”
-------------------

oh wait.... but they are planning it on another channel which is cool
Old 02-07-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Link

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...63546697_x.htm
Old 02-07-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Wow, that blows. I always liked the show.
Old 02-07-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show was great. Always great analysis, and in-depth and well written stories. It's unfortunate they're getting rid of it.
Old 02-07-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
Tonight’s episode will be the last for the series, which since 1977 has recapped the prior week’s National Football League games via highlights and analysis from hosts Bob Costas and former NFL players Dan Marino, Cris Carter and Cris Collinsworth. That show, which will recap the New York Giants Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots, will feature a short retrospective of the series’ history, according to HBO executives.
Just saw it last night - they brought back Len Dawson and Nick B.....(I will not even attempt to spell it ) I will also miss this show.
Old 02-07-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it was a trademark for HBO.... geez HBO has nothing going for them
Old 02-07-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the reason why HBO dropped the show was likely 1) ESPN's success with its NFL Live program and 2) the NFL Network already does something very similar with its NFL Total Access prorgram. Given the somewhat precarious state of Time Warner finances nowadays, I'm not surprised they cancelled the show.
Old 02-07-08, 08:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
As someone who started really watching sports in the mid 1980's, Inside the NFL was the only way that I could get in depth analysis of every game. I used to look foward to every Thursday night during the season to watch it. I stopped watching the show once they got rid of Len and Nick. I personally can't stand Marino or Carter, and thought the chemistry on the show was horrible. That being said, the last third of yesterday's show was very bittersweet, and it will seem strange not to see it on anymore.
Old 02-07-08, 09:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Sad to hear this. I'll miss hearing the best voice over in all of television (not sure of his name).
Old 02-07-08, 10:27 AM

Wouldn't it be great if they gave HBO a kick in the teeth and put it on Showtime? That said, I haven't watched this show religiously since Len Dawson left. This current crop of hosts is horrible. Cris Carter has got to be the most annoying guy this side of Emmitt Smith. Do we really need to see Peter King's fathead reseting his SNF info? Costas is good but needs to stick which interview and baseball shows. Collinsworth is the only one worth a damn and they have him moderating crap between Carter and that arrogant ass of a QB, Marino. I hopw whoever gets the show is willing to pay. Even a Len Dawson/Collinsworth crew would be an improvement.
Old 02-07-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Note to HBO:

First Deadwood
Now Inside The NFL

You cancel Real Time With Bill Maher, and I'm outta here.
Old 02-07-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How could the NFL Network not pick this up?
Old 02-07-08, 11:02 AM
Banned

Thank you sooooo much HBO. I never understood why this was on HBO at all ; same with Boxing on showtime. This should go to ESPN where it belongs.
Old 02-07-08, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Note to HBO:

You cancel Real Time With Bill Maher, and I'm outta here.
Now this is something I can definitely agree with.
Old 02-07-08, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I'll miss hearing the best voice over in all of television (not sure of his name).
I think you're referring to Harry Kalas, who is the Philadelphia Phillies longtime play-by-play announcer.

On INFL he narrates the NFL Films game footage which is used for highlights each week.

Sad to see the program go.

Last edited by Kenshiro; 02-07-08 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RayChuang
I think the reason why HBO dropped the show was likely 1) ESPN's success with its NFL Live program and 2) the NFL Network already does something very similar with its NFL Total Access prorgram. Given the somewhat precarious state of Time Warner finances nowadays, I'm not surprised they cancelled the show.
I think your right.
Old 02-08-08, 02:49 AM

The show has sucked for years. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Old 02-08-08, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
< Not a sports fan and never understood the point having Sports shows on HBO. Do they swear?
Old 02-08-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Sad to hear this. I'll miss hearing the best voice over in all of television (not sure of his name).
I'm sure ESPN or NFL Network will pick him up.

I can understand the change. They didn't air till Wednesday. Most of the highlight shows were Sunday night so all the highlights are old news by Wednesday. Everyone has already watched them. I love the show and sad to see it go, but I understand part of the reasoning.
Old 02-12-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great Show, I will miss it!
Old 02-12-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Watching that last episode nearly made me tear up (it didn't, but close). I've been watching this show for over half my life and unlike most of you in here still loved it with the current line-up. I avoided highlight shows becasue the NFL films package was always the best.

This will show up on the NFL network, guarantee it.
Old 02-12-08, 02:46 PM
Banned

I hope Collinsworth is picked up by another network.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.