Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The February General Comic Reading Thread - lacking something after the dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The February General Comic Reading Thread - lacking something after the dash

::waves arms around excitedly::

Scud the Disposable Assassin #21! This was one of my favorites, if not my single favorite book, back when I was in college, and I kept up with Rob Schrab's forums and other projects hoping to hear something about that final issue he never got around to making. And here it is, only...now it's four last issues instead of one.

It's been right around a full decade, but thumbing through this new issue, it's like no time has passed at all. And to think I was considering just waiting for the hardcover a few months down the road. I honestly can't remember beaming with this kind of a smile as I walked out of a comic store like I have today.

Kinda liked Buffy #11 as well. Great, great tease at the "splash page revealing some long-unseen character from the show" too, especially since that's a trick Joss and company have pulled out too many times this 'season'.
Old 02-06-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't picked up my books from the shop in over a month (as usual). Not that I have much of anything in my box waiting for me.

Anyway, still have plenty to read! Just finishing up with Essential Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 3, and about to finally dig into the Complete Bone. I hope it doesn't crush my chest while I'm reading it in bed.
Old 02-06-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have read a couple new ones but i have also been reading some older stuff this week. I have also been picking up a few tpbs since i've been stopped a bunch of my monthlies.

Captain America - 34 - I have been really enjoying what i have read of this series, especially since caps death, but I was underwhelmed by this issue, maybe because it was supposed to feel like an event, and it didn't, i don't know, I plan to pick up the trade/omnibus of the series from 1-25 having neve read most of that, but I don't really have the money to spend on that at the moment.

Y: the last man - 60 - Loved it, i was really worried about how this would end, but now i am able to say, I couln't think of a better or more fitting ending.
Of everything I've read since beginning to read comics again in the last 2 years, this is the series that i feel has made it all worth while.

Heroes HC - I know this isn't that old, but I have been working on this for awhile it has been getting a lot better toward the end, and I am starting to enjoy it. I was really disappointed with the first 8 or so issues though.

Harbinger TPB - the valiant thread inspired me to read this, it has been on my shelf since I moved my comics into the house (about 1 1/2 years) and i finally revisited. It is a lot of fun, I am now going to venture into the basement and read the rest of the series, it has been a long time, but this was my favorite of the Valiant books.

I just ordered the Vol 1 and 2 of the Morrison new x-men TPB and I'm gonna try to pick up the 3 runaways TPB next month. so hopefully I'll have more to say after reading them.
Old 02-07-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Alan Davis' Clandestine is back! Kind of a slow start though - but that's Davis's story-telling style - he lays down some ground-work, usually building to something big. I recommend the Clandestine hard-cover collection coming out next week.
Old 02-07-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I just ordered the Vol 1 and 2 of the Morrison new x-men TPB ...
FWIW, the New Xmen Omnibus that collects Morrison's entire xmen run is coming back into print in a couple months. It's much better quality than the TPBs, and cheaper overall.
Old 02-07-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
FWIW, the New Xmen Omnibus that collects Morrison's entire xmen run is coming back into print in a couple months. It's much better quality than the TPBs, and cheaper overall.
Yeah, but try lugging that thing into the bathroom. Seriously, I like my trades.
Old 02-07-08, 08:14 PM

Seriously? I've been looking for this book for ages, but didn't want to pay ebay prices. Do you have any more information on this? Thanks.
Old 02-07-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the only place that has it up for pre-order so far, that I know of, with an April 17th release. I'm sure it'll star popping up at amazon and other places as the date draws closer.
Old 02-08-08, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ones i ordered were the HCs, so basically 2/3 of that trade, not he softcover trades. Although, no I kinda wished I'd have waited, since it seems that the third HC trade from his run os also OOP and hard to find...
Old 02-08-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I bought HCs for Annihilations book 1 and 3, and had to settle for the normal tpb for book 2... ugh.

Got my comics from last month. I gave the new direction a try, and I like the artwork, but I just can't get into Supergirl. I just have no idea what's going on from month to month. Who is this new guy who's going after her, and why should I care?

I'm also close to dropping Teen Titans. I like some of the banter here, and the inclusion of "not-an-official-member" Blue Beetle, but the title seems disjointed. The lose Supergirl, Robin makes a case that they need her power and she needs mentoring, but then says that Blue Beetle isn't Titan's material? The team is made up of him, Wondergirl, Miss Martian (who came out of nowhere), Kid Devil, and Ravager, how high can their freaking standards be? Meanwhile, after that whole Titans West mini, I'm wondering if they're just going to start a new series or somehow merge that into this one and create a team I can actually root for.

At least I still have Legion, JSA, JLA and Groo yet to read... I'm hoping those are a bit more enjoyable.
Old 02-14-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This week:

X-Force #1

This comic represents everything that's wrong with the X-men. I didn't think it was possible for this to be worse than the Nicieza/Liefeld X-farce. But it is.

The Walking Dead #46

This is consistently one of the best comics out there, but lately i've felt the tone of each issue has become unbalanced. Even in trade, it still reads in a rather stilted manner. Ironically, this type of comic, with its huge ensemble cast and long-running, slow-developing storylines would benefit from decompressed storytelling.

Fantastic Four #554

This read surprisingly good, but it felt too much like Ultimate Fantastic Four. Still, that's a good thing. UFF had some of the best FF stories in years, because it captured the high-tech science fiction feel and energy of the Lee/Kirby days. It felt light on its feet, energetic, and there was a definite "Modern Silver Age" feel to it. Great book.
Old 02-14-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superboy
This week:

X-Force #1

This comic represents everything that's wrong with the X-men. I didn't think it was possible for this to be worse than the Nicieza/Liefeld X-farce. But it is.

Oh brother, I liked the premise of this when reading trade ads. But this above doesnt sound too good. I picked up a copy but have yet to read it. But if you put Liefeld and X in the same sentence thats instant death ( Hell, Liefeld and < insert title > generally means/= turd wagon)
Old 02-14-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read JSA 12, and I cannot believe that Johns is STILL adding new recruits. When he's done JSA is going to rivaled only by GI Joe with it's depth of roster.
Old 02-14-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, bored, did you read Rex Mundi yet?
Old 02-14-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, not yet. I just got over the flu, so I haven't really done much of any reading over the last couple of weeks(just movies and espn), but it's at the top of my pile. I'll probably read it this weekend and I'll be sure to post my thoughts after I do.
Old 02-14-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got the ClanDestine Classics hard-cover - everyone needs to buy it!

Old 02-15-08, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Scud the Disposable Assassin #21! This was one of my favorites, if not my single favorite book, back when I was in college, and I kept up with Rob Schrab's forums and other projects hoping to hear something about that final issue he never got around to making. And here it is, only...now it's four last issues instead of one.

It's been right around a full decade, but thumbing through this new issue, it's like no time has passed at all. And to think I was considering just waiting for the hardcover a few months down the road. I honestly can't remember beaming with this kind of a smile as I walked out of a comic store like I have today.
Adam, PM me your address and I'll send you Scud #16 and a couple pages of Schrab original art (they're un-signed rough drafts on graph paper). Were part of the prize package I got for winning Wizard's first (and only, I think) script writing contest. Been sitting in a long box for YEARS. I have no interest in them, so if you're interest, they're yours.
Old 02-15-08, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I got the ClanDestine Classics hard-cover - everyone needs to buy it!
I forgot to buy this on Wednesday and actually made a special trip back to the shop on Thursday to get it. I've heard so many good things about this over the years. And I picked up the first issue of the new series and enjoyed it.

So does the hardcover include all of the Alan Davis issues?
Old 02-15-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
So does the hardcover include all of the Alan Davis issues?
Yes, including the 2-issue crossover mini-series with the Xmen he did. You really should've read the collection before the new issue though.
Old 02-17-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So thanks to the generosity of bishop2knight, I read the first volume of Rex Mundi. It's one of those titles I keep meaning to try, but never did. Having read the first volume I can safely say I am hooked. This book was awesome!

I really like Dan Brown's books, and this feels like a (borderline) smarter version of something Robert Langdon would be going through. Comic's don't really scare me, but the scene with the Inquisitors kind of freaked me out. Just a really solid beginning chapter of a mystery. The ending to this volume was a little weak, but since I know there is more I'm willing to forgive it. I want to know where all of this shit is going now in the worst way. I haven't read the newspaper clippings or the backup story yet, but I'll probably go back and reread them along with the main story soon.

The art put me off a little bit a first because it was so, I want to say sharp or stark. Either way, it didn't grab me instantly, but quickly thereafter I really started to like it. It's intricate as all hell and incredibly appropriate for the story at hand. One really cool thing about this book is that it lets the art speak for itself. There will be action scenes that go for 3 or 4 pages with no dialogue or captions, and you don't get lost at all which is really impressive. Plus, I've never read a book where every brick in every building and street is rendered. That isn't necessary, but neat just the same.

One thing that I'm curious about is how long this is set to run. I haven't been able to find, since I don't want to read anything for fear of spoilers, so does anyone here know how long this is planned to go for? I really hope it's a planned out finite story.

Thanks again Bishop!
Old 02-17-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad you enjoyed it, bored. Let us know what you think of the other collections.
Old 02-18-08, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing that is frustrating about a book like this, much like The Killer, is that I know this book would appeal to a larger audience. It's just how do you get it into the hand of those people? I made the comparison to Da Vinci Code, and while this isn't exactly like that, it's similar enough that a fraction of the people who loved that book would surely like this, right?

Da Vinci apparently sold 40 million copies world wide. That is a grand number inflated by the hype around the book, and it just becoming a phenomenon, but you can't tell me of the 40 million people who read Da Vinci, that 300,000 of those people wouldn't also love Rex Mundi. If not more.

This post really serves no point other than to wish that the market for comics was larger and that more people read them.
Old 02-18-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ unfortunately, comics still have a stigma among non-comics reading adults of being for kids. Just like most adults think anything that is animated is automatically for kids, comics are considered too juvenile to be taken seriously.
Old 02-18-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've said it before and a lot of people disagree, but most comics aren't very good. So when there are so many comics available, and 90% of them aren't good, then it's going to take a lot of work for non-readers to believe that yes, some of these stories are worth checking out. A good book or a good movie can really grip you and thrill you and take you on an emotional rollarcoaster ride. Until comics can do that with some consistency, I doubt we'll be able to overcome some of the stigmas you see today.
Old 02-20-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the holiday, are comics in today (Wed) or tomorrow (Thurs)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.