TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Stewart/Colbert/O'Brien "Fued"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The Stewart/Colbert/O'Brien "Fued"

Anyone see this last night?

For a while, Colbert has been talking about the fact that he gave Mike Huckabee the "Colbert Bump." Basically, Colbert is claiming that because Huckabee went on the Colbert Report, it boosted him up in the polls, enabling him to win Iowa.

Conan O'Brien then started saying that he's the one who boosted Huckabee by playing all those Walker: Texas Ranger clips (Chuck Norris is, of course, a prominent Huckabee supporter).

Then Jon Stewart chimed in and pointed out that he introduced O'Brien back on his (Stewart's) MTV talk show in the mid-90s, so he created O'Brien and Colbert.

On Friday, O'Brien showed his audience a picture of himself delivering Stewart and Colbert as babies, thereby "proving" that he created Stewart and Colbert. He also said that if either of them tried to bring the topic up again, he would destroy them both.

So last night, Colbert came on the Daily Show to thank Stewart for sticking up for him. And who should walk into the studio but Conan O'Brien. So they postured for a few minutes and they decided that O'Brien and Colbert would wait in the hall while Stewart finished taping his show. During the Daily Show, they cut to O'Brien and Colbert waiting in the hall for Stewart a few times. Then, of course, by the time Stewart finished his show, Colbert was taping his. So throughout the Colbert Report, we got shots of O'Brien and Stewart waiting for Colbert.

Of course, by the time Colbert finished his show, O'Brien had left to tape his show and we were told to tune into Late Night for the conclusion. Unfortunately, I had taped TDS/TCR and by the time I watched it, Late Night was over so I missed part 3.

Pretty funny stuff. Colbert, O'Brien, and Stewart had good chemistry together and it was nice seeing these guys playing off each other.
Old 02-05-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its brilliant, I love the whole thing. I Tivo'd Conan, so looking forward to the conclusion. You can no doubt find the clip on Youtube if not now some time later today.
Old 02-05-08, 02:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
at Colbert and Stewart as babies.
Old 02-05-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I could go for some good Fued right now.

I missed this, thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-05-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also only tape TDS/Colbert, but the full Conan should be available on NBC.com (if it isn't already).
Old 02-05-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it in reverse, because I was watching Conan live and had DVR'd the others. Much of it is funny, but I do think they've dragged it out past its humor point, even if it's an effective "clock gobbler". Hopefully the epic showdown last night is the end.

The interesting thing I noticed when you put all three of them together in what is largely an improvisational situation is that Stewart is trying way too hard to get the laugh. He just doesn't have the ease and confidence of the other two. He does a fine job with The Daily Show, but when I see wacky bits like this, I have a hard time seeing how he'd ever succeed as a broadcast network late-night host.

das
Old 02-05-08, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLfvf-L8pXc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLfvf-L8pXc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 02-05-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks of the video aktick.

The Huckabee ending was kind of lame, it would have been better if he had told a story of running into their mothers back in his wild days as a young pastor and in a failed experiment to united Baptists, Catholics, Jews and the dirty Irish he illegitimately fathered all three of them. Then he could announce his withdrawal from the presidential race.
Old 02-05-08, 04:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I thought it was great, the whole concept, and it was fun
colbert was trying his best not to laugh when he was 'belting his desk' last night.
Old 02-05-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
meh. Mildly amusing. It's the kind of shtick they have to resort to without writers.
Old 02-05-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"It is not translucent!" - Conan, talking about his ass that Colbert insulted haha.

lol good stuff. Even without writer's they've had some good material. Kudos to them.
Old 02-05-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caught the fight last night and I was . Great, great stuff.
Old 02-06-08, 05:06 AM
Banned

Clips were great. How have these shows been without writers?
Old 02-06-08, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Good stuff.
Old 02-06-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
In case anyone wants to see the whole thing, click here for four videos, from leading up to the fight through the fight itself:

Last edited by JuryDuty; 02-06-08 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
The interesting thing I noticed when you put all three of them together in what is largely an improvisational situation is that Stewart is trying way too hard to get the laugh. He just doesn't have the ease and confidence of the other two. He does a fine job with The Daily Show, but when I see wacky bits like this, I have a hard time seeing how he'd ever succeed as a broadcast network late-night host.

das
I was really surprised by this, too. I thought in watching these that clearly Colbert is much more relaxed and quick--and Conan's not bad either. But Stewart, who I might add is my favorite of the three--is trying much harder to make things funny, but his jokes don't seem to work as well in these improv situations.
Old 02-06-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That was funny stuff, I loved it Fuck writers, this was the best i've seen from them in awhile
Old 02-06-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was funny, but not funny enough for me to poop on.
Why all the hating on the writers? They barely get 2 cents of every DVD dollar, all they want is 4 cents. Compared to the 25+ cents the studios take, is that so bad?
Old 02-07-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
It was funny, but not funny enough for me to poop on.
Why all the hating on the writers? They barely get 2 cents of every DVD dollar, all they want is 4 cents. Compared to the 25+ cents the studios take, is that so bad?
It has nothing to do with what the writers want. I'm stating that Conan & Leno (thus far) have been better (funnier) without their writers.
Old 02-07-08, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I was really surprised by this, too. I thought in watching these that clearly Colbert is much more relaxed and quick--and Conan's not bad either. But Stewart, who I might add is my favorite of the three--is trying much harder to make things funny, but his jokes don't seem to work as well in these improv situations.
Why would that be at all surprising? Colbert started off his career as a member of the "Second City" improv group in Chicago, along with people like Steve Carell and Tina Fey. So, he clearly has improv skills. O'Brien, similarly, has experience doing improv sketches.

Jon Stewart, on the other hand, started off his career as a stand-up comic, and moved into hosting. He's an extremely talented interviewer, and is a very funny guy, but lacks the acting and improv skills of the other two. Stewart even routinely admits he's a horrible actor.
Old 02-12-08, 05:01 PM

"Behind the Brawl" -- includes rehearsals and outtakes:

http://www.latenightunderground.com/...he-brawl.shtml