DVD Talk
Which type of DVDs do you wonder why people collect them? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Which type of DVDs do you wonder why people collect them?

toddly6666
02-03-08, 05:36 PM
I know there are many people in here who look at other people's dvd collections and say "why in the world would you own that or own so many of those types of DVDs?" Which type of DVDs do you always wonder why people collect?

1. Wrestling DVDs - For the people that buy wrestling DVDs, is it possible to own one or two of them? From all the collections I've seen, the wrestling DVD fans seem to have loads of them. Are they really watched a bunch of times? I'm a die-hard baseball fan, but I don't own one baseball game/highlights/bloopers/etc. DVD. I don't have anything against wrestling and I'm entertained by the genre as well, but i'm just curious why someone would own so many Wrestling DVDs?

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-03-08, 06:09 PM
^Interesting question. I honestly don't understand wrestling at all, on DVD or otherwise. I understand that the fans appreciate that it's scripted, and I appreciate that it takes real athletic ability to do the stunts and that the performers can often be injured, I understand too that the storylines can be as complex and evolving as the best daytime soap operas, I just don't understand what's compelling about it. I've always been curious about it, but didn't want to ask in the DVD wrestling thread since it's OT of the purpose of that thread.

Even though my interest in DVDs runs mainly to documentaries, and art house and foreign films, I understand most every other sort of collection but wrestling.

uncle-frank
02-03-08, 06:10 PM
a few actually:

1. huge collections, like over 1000. do these people watch all of these movies enough times to justify a purchase, sometimes new for 25 bucks on "new release days"

2. owning shitty sequels. i can understand if they come in a box set or youve got a good deal on them (i just got the rambo 3pack for 9.99 dollars sealed) so, fine i can sacrifice having rambo 3 in my collection because i paid what i would have for 1 movie and got all 3.

but shitters like men in black 2,home alone 4, be cool, the whole 10 yards, scary movie 2 and up, ect. just because it has a 2 or 3 in the title doesnt mean you need to own the whole set. just get the good ones.

3. owning multiple copies of the same movie. i have a firend that has 4 copies of miami vice. what the fuck? just have one. i can see your point with wrestling^^ personally i ownly own about 15 titles. my wishlist for PPV's is about 10, and they are all really good ones.

4. steelbooks. nm, i just cant. i love them too much. forget i even mentioned it:)

Sabrett
02-03-08, 06:16 PM
I know there are many people in here who look at other people's dvd collections and say "why in the world would you own that or own so many of those types of DVDs?" Which type of DVDs do you always wonder why people collect?

1. Wrestling DVDs - For the people that buy wrestling DVDs, is it possible to own one or two of them? From all the collections I've seen, the wrestling DVD fans seem to have loads of them. Are they really watched a bunch of times? I'm a die-hard baseball fan, but I don't own one baseball game/highlights/bloopers/etc. DVD. I don't have anything against wrestling and I'm entertained by the genre as well, but i'm just curious why someone would own so many Wrestling DVDs?

Because wrestling is a continuous storyline, so only having one or two wrestling DVDs is like owning a few random episodes of a TV show...if you're a casual fan, that might be okay for you, but for a die-hard fan, they want the complete storyline.

zombiezilla
02-03-08, 06:43 PM
Disney DVDs.... I have 3 kids between 5 and 14, so we have plenty of Disney around, but my brother-in-law's wife collects anything and everything to do with Disney (she's in her mid-40s). They bought a brand new house; she had every lightswitch plate changed over to a Disney character motif before they moved a box in. But anyway, as to DVDs, she buys every single Disney title, whether she's seen it or not, whether or not it's any good, etc...
...but I cannot honestly say I'm innocent of the same type of thing. Hell, I love Godzilla movies. Every last one of them (except the USA G-film). And some of them are faaaarrrrr better than others; some I may only watch once or twice on DVD, others will be viewed over 30 times (maybe more). I would bet most of the DVDTalkers who were honest with themselves would agree that they have some portion of their collection(s) which would be qualified the same way.

Kevin M. Dean
02-03-08, 06:51 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw The Price is Right DVD annoucement (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Price-Right-The-Best-Of/8760) a few weeks back was "why would anyone want to buy this?"

DeputyDave
02-03-08, 07:04 PM
Because wrestling is a continuous storyline, so only having one or two wrestling DVDs is like owning a few random episodes of a TV show...if you're a casual fan, that might be okay for you, but for a die-hard fan, they want the complete storyline.OK, I can see that. I have a serious question, though. Do the die hard collectors admit that the sport is fake and the "story lines" are pre-scripted? I mean the only person I know personally who owns a wrestling DVD truly believes its real.

Chad
02-03-08, 07:25 PM
The majority of Retromedia titles ...specifically from Fred Olen Ray! Then again, I have no right to talk as I own a few myself. :lol:

Owning every Criterion title simply because it's Criterion or to complete the spine numbers instead of for the love of the films...that's completest overload!! I'm a huge fan of the CC, but I'd never buy a film that I have no interest in or that has little replay value.

Upgrading standard def DVDs to some of the earlier Blu/HD titles that didn't carry over all the special features.

<strike> Owning titles you wouldn't ordinarily or taking the chance of blind buying simply for the sake of collectible packaging.</strike> NM. :D

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
02-03-08, 07:37 PM
Buying multiple copies of the same movie just because of different covers and/or different crappy exclusives.

Buying sequels when you admit you don't like them but just because you want to have them. Especially when you're getting it on release day. Just wait a month or two and get it when it's heavily discounted because it's a crappy sequel.

Wrestling is a soap opera. Not having a bunch of them would be like having random episodes of some soap opera.

ThomaMon
02-03-08, 07:41 PM
OK, I can see that. I have a serious question, though. Do the die hard collectors admit that the sport is fake and the "story lines" are pre-scripted? I mean the only person I know personally who owns a wrestling DVD truly believes its real.
They are just as pre-scripted as any movie or TV Show. So if you can't collect anything that is pre-scripted, what would that leave you with? Reality TV Show DVD's?

Sabrett
02-03-08, 07:58 PM
OK, I can see that. I have a serious question, though. Do the die hard collectors admit that the sport is fake and the "story lines" are pre-scripted? I mean the only person I know personally who owns a wrestling DVD truly believes its real.

My husband is a die-hard fan, and yes, he definitely admits that it's all storylines and entertainment. He definitely considers it more entertainment, than an actual sport.

GatorDeb
02-03-08, 08:13 PM
10 replies and no "Criterion" ? :D (I'm a Criterion collector myself).

DVD Polizei
02-03-08, 08:19 PM
Criterion and Wrestling DVDs. A sign the anti-Christ has arrived will be when Criterion releases WWE titles.

Chad
02-03-08, 08:20 PM
10 replies and no "Criterion" ? :D (I'm a Criterion collector myself).

Look again. I mentioned Criterion.

Maxflier
02-03-08, 08:29 PM
Upgrading standard def DVDs to some of the earlier Blu/HD titles that didn't carry over all the special features.

I don't see the problem with this. Personally, I upgrade for the PQ of the movie itself. Besides, if you are upgrading then you already have the special features on the DVD anyways even if they aren't ported over. How often are the speacial features actually in HD on the HD version?(That's an honest question as I don't really watch special features to know)

asianxcore
02-03-08, 09:19 PM
Does anyone collect National Geographic DVD's?

If so, I'm not sure why anyone would watch those more than once.

xage
02-03-08, 09:33 PM
I hope this creepy video can help answer your wonders.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7SEjVsJqSHo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7SEjVsJqSHo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

*Warning this video is way too ????

7Keys
02-03-08, 09:37 PM
As mentioned,

Movies that people don't really like but buy it to complete the series or something.

Criterions.

Even though I don't like wrestling, I can actually understand it. I have some sports games on tape and every now and then I'll pop when in. Kind of a nostaglia thing I guess. I get to admire the greatness of Walter Payton or Gretzky, etc.

JWill85
02-03-08, 10:03 PM
Anime
Criterion
Wrestling
Sequels that aren't good

Numes
02-03-08, 10:22 PM
1. huge collections, like over 1000. do these people watch all of these movies enough times to justify a purchase, sometimes new for 25 bucks on "new release days"

I have a collection over 1000. I treat it as a library. I love having a lot of options of movies/shows I want to watch at any given time. I fully plan on watching every single title. Yes, I may only watch it once, but once justifies a purchase for me. I rarely ever buy a movie/show on "new release day." I rarely buy anything at a B&M. I always wait for the deals to present themselves when I purchase titles.

3. owning multiple copies of the same movie. i have a firend that has 4 copies of miami vice. what the fuck? just have one. i can see your point with wrestling^^ personally i ownly own about 15 titles. my wishlist for PPV's is about 10, and they are all really good ones.

It depends on what you determine as "multiple copies of the same movie." If you truly mean 2 copies of the exact same release/region/etc... I don't really think anyone does that? Personally, I have a few releases of the same title. In almost every case, it is a release from another region of a movie I love. I love special features, and for my favorite movies I will purchase different releases to get all the content (i.e. The Fifth Element Deluxe and the R2 SE).

As for those who own the same release, but in different packaging, I can *understand* it, but I would rarely do it. Some people are collectors, plain and simple, and need all the variants. I can remember buying multiple copies of the same comic book because there were different covers. Same idea. Maybe Xage can chime in on this one :)

As for types of DVDs that I wonder why people collect them, I have none. I may not collect wrestling DVDs, anime, or Disney movies, but for those who do, more power to you!

The only thing that truly baffles me are the people who go out and buy new DVDs on Tuesdays at B&M stores and just pay regular price, when they could have bought them on-line much cheaper... either pre-order or with a sale, etc... I know there are release week sales, but I'm not talking about that. Maybe they just don't care about how much they spend, maybe they need it right away??

minnesota
02-03-08, 10:33 PM
I have a hard time justifying my Simpson's or Seinfeld DVDs ... I end up watching them on TV more often than DVD because they're on multiple times a day.

shacmasta
02-03-08, 10:51 PM
Before even clicking on this thread I knew it had something to do with Wrestling collections.

I don't see why it's so hard to figure out or understand why a collector who is a fan of a certain genre would collect something. I'm a wrestling fan, a huge one. I try to get my hands on as many titles as I can and yes I watch them and I find replay value in most of my wrestling dvds, that's what sorta makes me a fan and a collector of that certain genre.

As for stereotyping us wrestling fans as a bunch of loons who still think it's real. I for one know it's "fake" and find entertainment in the storylines and the matches that develop because of the storylines. I'm willing to bet the majority of fans feel that same way. Even though I'm sure there's a few wrestling fans who get lost in the hype, it's probably no different then fans of other genres who wait on lines for days on end to see certain movies or whatever else.

To each their own.

mr. b_dvd
02-03-08, 11:54 PM
I don't really wonder why people collect the way they do, because people collect in various ways and for various reasons, hence the difference in collections. I have to admit though, I am questioning whether I want to keep growing my collection, or thin it out with titles I don't care for. I mean, I have some titles that I heard it was a good movie, only to be disappointed (I gave away my copy of Sideways recently; I did not think it was that great of a movie). There was one person that posted once where I read he thinned out his collection from over 1000 (or more) to just a few hundred or so. He kept only the movies that he knew he would want to watch over and over, and got rid of the rest. I've thought about this, but I still find myself buying stuff 'cos it is limited or it's an actor I like. I wish I could get rid of the chic-flicks in my collection 'cos I know I'll never voluntarily watch them, but I'd have to get rid of the wife also. I buy Disney for the little ones, and I'm pretty sure they'll have to fight for them when they have kids (although some titles may stay with me regardless).

I do find it fascinating about the various ways people collect dvd's, how they store/treat them, but that is just the Psychologist/Sociologist in me.

dhmac
02-04-08, 12:16 AM
I have a hard time justifying my Simpson's or Seinfeld DVDs ... I end up watching them on TV more often than DVD because they're on multiple times a day.
The fact that TV shows are uncut on DVD while the episodes in syndication are usually cut by a few minutes to get in more commercials is more than enough justification for having the DVDs for any show.

(Now watching the syndicated versions instead of the DVDs version you own - that needs justification!)

The Video Dead
02-04-08, 01:20 AM
People collect crappy sequels because they want to complete the collection. Some people are just perfectionist in that sense.

Giggles
02-04-08, 03:25 AM
There're many types of DVDs I wouldn't buy myself. But it doesn't mean I can't understand those who would. Even with wrestling and anime (both are beyond me) - I just realize some people are into it. Well, every one of us is into something.

mikelowry
02-04-08, 04:06 AM
Never in my wildest dream will I purchase wrestling DVDs but I don't think those who collects this sort of stuff doesn't owe us any explaination.

MovieExchange
02-04-08, 08:07 AM
They are just as pre-scripted as any movie or TV Show. So if you can't collect anything that is pre-scripted, what would that leave you with? Reality TV Show DVD's?

And there's the answer that always successfully shuts down the wrestling bashers.

And just to stay on topic -

1. Sequels that the person hates, but gets it just because "the run has to be complete." Sorry, but you know what? Halloween 3 will never be seen on my movie shelf. Well, maybe if someone gives it to me.... but odds are I'd just sell it off in my store instead.

2. HD / Blu-Ray re-releases of older movies that don't merit the upgrade. You do know your HD / Blu-Ray player plays older DVD's, right? So did you really need to go out and pay $25 for Lost in Translation on HD when you could buy a new regular DVD copy for $10?

3. Criterions. As described in an earlier post, this whole "gotta have every spine number" thing is nuts, especially when you look at the price of the average release.

That all being said, I know I have a lot of buying habits that would make people question my sanity.

1. Double / triple dips, and keeping the original. If there's a new commentary track on a film I like, guess what? I'm buying it. If there's a special feature that was removed from the earlier edition, I'll keep it as well.

2. Wrestling DVD's. I buy the occasional WWE or TNA PPV when it's very cheap and I know that there's one or two matches I like on there. However... Ring of Honor, an indy company out of the NE, puts on great shows with well-written storylines. Thus I collect every DVD of theirs that I can, and have over 150 of their shows.

3. Over-sized collections where many titles are still sealed / unviewed. I have about 1500 titles in my collection, and I'd say at least 800 of them have never been opened. I'd also say that out of the entire collection, there are at least 700 that I've never seen before in any way. For example, I have seasons 1-4 of Smallville, 1-9 of Stargate: Atlantis, and many other TV series that I've never watched an episode of. My rationale is (1) I own a DVD store, thus I can get things cheap and want to get them at the best price now and (2) if I blind buy something and don't like it, I can always put it in my store to get rid of it.

In the end, it all comes down to what the great George Carlin said when it comes to personal differences - "Live and let live, that's my motto. Anyone that can't go along with that, take 'em outside and shoot the motherf**ker."

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-04-08, 08:20 AM
Wrestling is a soap opera. Not having a bunch of them would be like having random episodes of some soap opera.

Okay I understand this part, but except for Dark Shadows, soap operas aren't much released on DVD. Any thoughts on why wrestling has succeeded on DVD when most soap operas have failed. Is it merely a matter of demographics (e.g., males 12-50 vs. females 18-60) with men more likely to buy DVDs than women or is something else at work?

MovieExchange
02-04-08, 08:27 AM
Okay I understand this part, but except for Dark Shadows, soap operas aren't much released on DVD. Any thoughts on why wrestling has succeeded on DVD when most soap operas have failed. Is it merely a matter of demographics (e.g., males 12-50 vs. females 18-60) with men more likely to buy DVDs than women or is something else at work?

Because actual soap operas are 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, whereas wrestling PPV's are 12-15 a year, depending on what company you watch.

I'd also say that the demographic does have an impact.

Then there's the "historical" factor. You don't go away from an episode of a soap opera going "wow, that actor really hit it in that episode!" In wrestling, though, get the right performers and you could walk away saying "Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle just put on an astounding match!" or "That one-year storyline of BJ Whitmer vs. Jimmy Jacobs was amazingly well-written" or even "hey, I was at that show and I want to see if I was on camera" (I've attended several live Ring of Honor shows, and am always front row for them).

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-04-08, 08:31 AM
Because actual soap operas are 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, whereas wrestling PPV's are 12-15 a year, depending on what company you watch.

I'd also say that the demographic does have an impact.

Then there's the "historical" factor. You don't go away from an episode of a soap opera going "wow, that actor really hit it in that episode!" In wrestling, though, get the right performers and you could walk away saying "Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle just put on an astounding match!" or "That one-year storyline of BJ Whitmer vs. Jimmy Jacobs was amazingly well-written" or even "hey, I was at that show and I want to see if I was on camera" (I've attended several live Ring of Honor shows, and am always front row for them).

This is very helpful, thanks! I didn't know that wrestling was only 12-15 times a year per company. I'd imagined 26-52 eps. a year, plus 12-24 PPVs per company. One final question, how many companies are there?

macnorton
02-04-08, 08:36 AM
I would like to respond to a few of the comments here:

1. I am a wrestling fan, and it is pure entertainment. But when you are a kid, it is a lot like a magic trick, you want to believe but in the end, it isn't real. However, anyone who says these guys (and girls) are not athletes, that is really insulting to them. But back to the topic, I collect DVD's of my favorite wrestlers, since I grew up with it. And occasionally, they come around an I can meet them, which is always cool. But I am not rabid like some of these guys, and more power to them. I just want to collect the ones I want, no need for multiple copies.

2. On the point of multiple copies, I do own a few of these, however my collection has the original cut of a film and then a director's cut. In some cases, the two are drastically different (Daredevil) and some have some really awesome extras. But for me, if there is an unrated cut and a theratical cut with the same extras (like The 40 Year Old Virgin...before the re-release) I will take the unrated. Outside of that, no reason to own two.

3. As a Criterion fan, this is an easy one. Most of my exposure to foreign films (IE stuff outside of the US...don't laugh some people think foreign means not by a major studio...no joke, really) is through Criterion. And yes granted some of the disc have little replay value, but I never buy something I know I am only going to watch once. If I have doubts, I will borrow it or rent it. But yeah, some people do get a little crazy.

macnorton
02-04-08, 08:38 AM
This is very helpful, thanks! I didn't know that wrestling was only 12-15 times a year per company. I'd imagined 26-52 eps. a year, plus 12-24 PPVs per company. One final question, how many companies are there?

I will field that one. In reality there are hundreds out there. But there are only two you need to know, WWE and TNA.

There are a lot of regional companies, that cover certain "territories", but they also tour. Of those, the biggest is ROH (Ring of Honor).

About 10 years ago, there were the big three WCW (owned by Ted Turner), ECW (hardcore wrestling out of Philly), WWF (before the lawsuit). Vince McMahon (owner of WWE) bought WCW and ECW, and WWE was the only one for a number of years. TNA started out as PPV (pay per view) only and then they got a TV contract from Spike.

toddly6666
02-04-08, 08:41 AM
Does anyone agree that the majority of Criterion films are pretty boring? The Criterion DVD covers tend to look more interesting than the actual film itself.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
02-04-08, 08:42 AM
Because wrestling is a continuous storyline, so only having one or two wrestling DVDs is like owning a few random episodes of a TV show...if you're a casual fan, that might be okay for you, but for a die-hard fan, they want the complete storyline.

but the weekly shows aren't released on DVD, so you really can't have the complete storyline.

to answer the original question, it's definitely people who collect every criterion just because it is a criterion.

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-04-08, 09:03 AM
Does anyone agree that the majority of Criterion films are pretty boring? The Criterion DVD covers tend to look more interesting than the actual film itself.

I enjoy the majority of the Criterions I've seen, but there's a lot that I have no interest in owning. Collecting them all has never made any sense to me. The Criterion Collection has become associated with high-quality releases of high-brow films, but this really is only partly true. Ever since the LD days, Criterion has released a range of films from Armageddon, to The Passion of Joan, to Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One. The quality of the releases have often been good, but rarely cutting edge with Criterion coming late to DVD, late to anamorphic releases, continuing even now to windowbox 1.33:1 releases, and it will no doubt also be late to BR. With such a range in genre from popcorn, to classic, to experimental, and with some better quality releases of Criterion Collection titles by foreign distributors, collecting them all can only be justified for reasons extrinsic to the content of the DVDs themselves.

macnorton
02-04-08, 09:10 AM
I personally have never understood the fascination with anime. Granted I have seen quite a few, but it seems like most of it is total garbage. However, I do personally like Cowboy Bebop, which was an awesome story with one of the best soundtracks ever. What is not to love? I also enjoyed Akira and a few others (I don't recall their names, but I know they were cool and my friend could easily answer that for me).

dhmac
02-04-08, 09:16 AM
Boredom is strictly in a person's mind.

cardaway
02-04-08, 09:22 AM
Nobody thinks less fo wrestling than me (most of my issues are them marketing that shit to kids) but I would never knock somebody's collection because it includes wresting DVDs. That kind of crap is whyt I don't put my DVD Profiler link in my sig. The last thing I need is somebody knocking me because they don't think I should have some of the lesser movies I have in my collection.

All that matters to me is the content on the DVD is fun, not the quality of the movie or show. I imagine this is true whether the person collects the AFI 100, the Golden Raspberry winners, or wrestling DVDs.

MovieExchange
02-04-08, 09:23 AM

There are weekly TV shows for the big 2. WWE puts on Raw (2 hours) ECW (1 hour) and Smackdown (2 hours) once a week. TNA puts on a 2-hour show each week. See my response to Lunatikk as to how that's covered.

The one that would be closest to what you were imagining is Ring of Honor, an indy company that has no weekly show but puts every live event out on DVD. That means there are about 3 or 4 shows per month to buy. However, the company has a lot of 30% off sales, as well as "buy 2 get 1 free" or even $10 sales on older titles.

but the weekly shows aren't released on DVD, so you really can't have the complete storyline.

Actually you do, since every important match on a PPV is started off with a video package highlighting the feud and how things came down to this match. Then pretty much all matches (except for throwaways with no backstory) will have the commentators talking about the events that lead to the match taking place.

macnorton
02-04-08, 09:30 AM
Nobody thinks less fo wrestling than me (most of my issues are them marketing that shit to kids) but I would never knock somebody's collection because it includes wresting DVDs. That kind of crap is whyt I don't put my DVD Profiler link in my sig. The last thing I need is somebody knocking me because they don't think I should have some of the lesser movies I have in my collection.

All that matters to me is the content on the DVD is fun, not the quality of the movie or show. I imagine this is true whether the person collects the AFI 100, the Golden Raspberry winners, or wrestling DVDs.

Way back when, wrestling was family entertainment. But things got edgier in the 90's. However I don't agree with your statement. I feel it is up to the parents to make the decision on what their children are watching. If WWE markets to kids, so what. The parents should know (there is this thing called Google) what it is all about, instead of complaining after the fact.

And I do agree, one should not knock someones collection in jest. I am always up for some playful mocking...since it is really all in fun. When you cross the line, that is not cool. People don't like my collection, no problem. Just don't go throwing out names because of it. But if you want to call me a dork for my action movies, that is cool.

rw2516
02-04-08, 09:34 AM
As a life-long collector of this, that or the other thing, I can appreciate any kind of collecting whether it appeals to me or not. Go for it!

darthdelegate
02-04-08, 11:07 AM

This is exactly what I've always said about wrestling. So many people scream, "But it's fake! How can you watch that?!"

Movies are fake. TV shows are fake. Are we not supposed to watch them either?

Ginwen
02-04-08, 11:25 AM
I would've said wrestling DVDs but this helped explain why people own so many.

chris_sc77
02-04-08, 11:32 AM
Ones I just dont understand

1. Wrestling/Sports DVD's
2. Disney DVD's
3. Anime DVD's

macnorton
02-04-08, 11:33 AM
This is exactly what I've always said about wrestling. So many people scream, "But it's fake! How can you watch that?!"

Movies are fake. TV shows are fake. Are we not supposed to watch them either?

Wow, excellent point.

On Disney DVD's, yeah there are some people who want everything, which I don't understand. For me, I have (are at least attempting to) all the classics on DVD and the Pixar films. I also collect the Treasures sets, but outside of that, no much else. There are a few live action films that are good and the wild life docs are cool (I remember them as a kid...thank you public school education), there is really no reason for me to buy anything else. I can also understand parents getting things for their kids, but does the world really need 3 Cinderella sequels?

The Eliminator
02-04-08, 11:43 AM
Anime, Wrestling, collections over 500, and Criterion completionists. Makes no sense to me.

Sweet Baby James
02-04-08, 11:46 AM
Porno. Renting them is one thing, but just how many times does one need to see Ron Jeremy blow his load in the same scene?

Trevor
02-04-08, 11:48 AM
As a life-long collector of this, that or the other thing, I can appreciate any kind of collecting whether it appeals to me or not. Go for it!

Same here. I think that some people have the collecting gene, and some don't, and the one will never understand the other.

I love movies, but admit that my buying them is more due to my collecting habit than the movies themselves.

I love what I do, but if they made a pill to "cure" me, I'd take it.

Steve Phillips
02-04-08, 12:08 PM
DTV American Pie sequels, those horrible satires like "Date Movie" and so forth.

Numes
02-04-08, 01:16 PM
Porno. Renting them is one thing, but just how many times does one need to see Ron Jeremy blow his load in the same scene?

Well, there's not really any other place to get access to porn besides DVDs, and I guess if one didn't want to go and rent them, they would buy them.

MTRodaba2468
02-04-08, 01:49 PM
Well, there's not really any other place to get access to porn besides DVDs, and I guess if one didn't want to go and rent them, they would buy them.

The Internet is a wonderful tool.

fashionvictim86
02-04-08, 01:57 PM
The only DVDs I don't understand people collecting is porn. They are so expensive, not to mention boring. My friend bought me one a couple of years ago as a joke. I actually tried to watch it and ended up falling asleep. Give me the real thing any time, any where.

Numes
02-04-08, 02:00 PM
The Internet is a wonderful tool.

Really, porn on the internet?? Who would have known? ;)

William Fuld
02-04-08, 04:42 PM
To me wrestling dvds are similar to other types of performance based dvds, such as concerts or stand-up comedy.

GoldenJCJ
02-04-08, 07:01 PM
As I have a tnedancy to collect a lot of crap myself I'm not really one to say. I just chalk it up to personal taste. But since you asked, I would agree with Wrestling DVDs.

Also, every time I see a thread talking about the latest release of some old TV show I wonder "who would buy that?!" Shows like Emergency! or Murder, She Wrote just don't seem like shows anyone would want to watch over and over.

So far I've refrained from buying any TV on DVD because I don't see the replay value in it but to each his own I guess.

calhoun07
02-04-08, 07:15 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw The Price is Right DVD annoucement (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Price-Right-The-Best-Of/8760) a few weeks back was "why would anyone want to buy this?"

To be fair, though, we only have three game shows on DVD right now, and those three titles are best of collections. (OK, I just counting Match Game, Family Feud, and TPIR....I just thought of Jeopardy had a release some years ago and there might be a handful lesser known ones). But my point is they aren't releasing these on a regular basis. They come out once in a while. If they started releasing season sets of Match Game or some show like that, then I'd wonder who was buying these things.

I buy them because I dropped my expanded basic cable a while back...gotta get my game show fix somehow now that I don't have the Game Show Network. But I don't think I am "collecting" them when they come out so sporadically.

Peep
02-04-08, 07:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of live music on DVD. I love going to concerts and I often listen to live albums, but I rarely buy concerts on DVD.

zombiezilla
02-04-08, 08:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of live music on DVD. I love going to concerts and I often listen to live albums, but I rarely buy concerts on DVD.

It's funny you would say that, Peep, because I feel exactly the opposite way. I've been in and out of the music industry since 1979. After seeing (or playing) hundreds and hundreds of shows, sitting, standing, moshing, etc., and meeting just about everyone I had an interest in meeting in the music biz (and plenty I didn't give two shits about), I have very little desire to see new shows or bands (just once in a great while, as long as they are at a venue I like, and at the right price...often free, as I still know folks in the industry). But I do like to watch the recent stuff on DVD...and here's hoping we get a live DVD of both the Police and VH recent tours!

MovieExchange
02-05-08, 01:36 AM
I lost interest in the WWE a few years ago. I haven't lost interest in wrestling; I just think the WWE hasn't been entertaining in about 3 or 4 years. TNA has never done it for me either, so that's why I haven't really watched wrestling on a regular basis anymore.

Try Ring of Honor. A lot of old-school NWA along with original ECW mixed in. The guy that books it used to work closely with Paul Heyman in ECW, and he really knows what he's doing.

L Chabert Lover
02-05-08, 05:04 AM
Regarding "The Price Is Right," it makes perfect sense (to me) to release it on DVD. It ran for 35 years with Bob Barker. For a show to last that long - with the same host - I think it has a large enough fan base to justify a few best-of DVD releases. What I don't agree with is adding Bill Cullen episodes (supposedly there's going to be four of them) to the set. I have nothing against Bill Cullen, but his era of Price (1956-1965, NBC and later ABC) is completely different from the 1972-present CBS and syndicated editions. The only similarities are the title of the show and the 4-person contestants' row bidding format. Cullen's show didn't have pricing games, showcase showdowns, and for the most part - showcases either. Essentially, it was just 30 minutes with the same four contestants bidding on prizes. I saw a few episodes on GSN about ten or eleven years ago and I got bored real quick. If they wanted to include episodes with other hosts it would have made a lot more sense to choose some Dennis James (1972-1977 syndicated) Tom Kennedy (1985-1986 syndicated) and Doug Davidson (1994-1995 syndicated) episodes - or even a Drew Carey episode. Failing that, they should have left it at all Barker episodes.

And regarding "Family Feud," I would love to have a Ray Combs (1988-1994, CBS and syndication) best-of DVD set, but you can wish in one hand and...

BuckNaked2k
02-05-08, 06:35 AM
1. Wrestling DVDs

Concur.

oldboy87
02-05-08, 06:56 AM
I've got over 1000 movies ... and honestly, I'm not sure why I keep on buying more. Sure, I love movies, and I love having a big selection to watch on my own or with friends and family, but at the same time, I have about 50 unwatched movies, around 20 unwatched TV series sets, and frankly, by the time I've watched all those, I will have a new unwatched pile ... and no time to rewatch any of the older stuff.

And I buy multiple copies of various DVDs, mostly for new extras or cool packaging; sometimes just if the cover art is better than a previous release ... sorry, i'm one of those people who gives studios the idea that its okay to keep on dipping.

I am, however, proud of myself for not buying sequels I don't particularly like. Final Destination? It was okay, but I thought part 2 and 3 were better, so I bought those but not the first one. I also have Wrong Turn 2, but not part 1, and a couple of incomplete TV seasons - Knight Rider S2; Angel S1,2,4; Family Guy S1, 2, 3 and 5, where I have not been compelled to get all of them.

That said, I don't get collecting music/concert DVDs. I'm happy to buy CDs/download music, or go to a concert ... but I wouldn't buy the DVDs. But the same can be said for collecting movie DVDs, or collecting anything really, I guess.

rw2516
02-05-08, 07:53 AM
About owning more movies or tv shows than you have time to watch, or if you will ever watch it again. Collecting is all about "the owning" not "the watching". At least you can do something with a dvd, if you decide to. People collect all kinds of things that you can't actually "use". Stamps, coins, trading cards. There's a golf course at the end of my block. The old guy next door, who's lived there for 50 years, has hundreds of egg cartons full of golf balls. No two balls are the same. My grandpa liked jigsaw puzzles(which have a use) and his basement was filled with a few thousand of them. They were shoved into every nook and cranny, among the vents, under the stairs, I mean everywhere! It was a sight to behold.

calhoun07
02-06-08, 06:10 PM
I'd probably buy that. :(

If they'd release the Richard Dawson and Ray Combs seasons of Family Feud on DVD, I'd buy it, no doubt. I'd also like season sets of late-night talk shows such as The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (that would probably sell very well), Late Night with Conan O'Brien, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late, Late Show with TV's Craig Ferguson, etc.
I can't disagree that season sets would be kind of cool, but the sets would be massive. The only way I think they could work was if they utilized the capacity of a high def format and put all the episodes on there in SD, but then the prices would be quite high.

I always wanted season sets of Late Night with David Letterman (NBC years), but do you realize how many episodes each of these shows had per season? I guess if they put them out in volumes every few months...

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-06-08, 07:19 PM
I always wanted season sets of Late Night with David Letterman (NBC years), but do you realize how many episodes each of these shows had per season? I guess if they put them out in volumes every few months...

After MPI Home Video put out 1245 episodes of Dark Shadows on DVD, nothing seems impossible.

xfilefanfreak
02-06-08, 08:14 PM
Everybody Has Difrent Taste

Sparrow
02-06-08, 09:05 PM
I've always wondered about wrestling DVDs (which appear to be a common theme in this thread) and sketch comedy, which seems so dated.

Chad
02-06-08, 10:45 PM
I don't see the problem with this. Personally, I upgrade for the PQ of the movie itself. Besides, if you are upgrading then you already have the special features on the DVD anyways even if they aren't ported over.

I was actually referring to those that always get rid of the previous release. Keeping both versions is understandable and something I've done a few times myself. Obviously the quality and replay factor of those features plays a big role in that decision.

And that reminds me of people who rid themselves of the beautiful Anchor Bay tin versions in favor of the cheap plastic newer, "better" releases because of the 'ol "lack of space" excuse. Everything from the Halloween 4 Divamax to the recent Two-Lane Blacktop CC...it's blasphemy! Keep both if you feel compelled to upgrade.

danwiz
02-07-08, 01:23 AM
Every Criterion just so that they can say that they have them all.

:sarcasm:

dcrw6
02-07-08, 01:46 AM
About owning more movies or tv shows than you have time to watch, or if you will ever watch it again. Collecting is all about "the owning" not "the watching". At least you can do something with a dvd, if you decide to. People collect all kinds of things that you can't actually "use". Stamps, coins, trading cards. There's a golf course at the end of my block. The old guy next door, who's lived there for 50 years, has hundreds of egg cartons full of golf balls. No two balls are the same. My grandpa liked jigsaw puzzles(which have a use) and his basement was filled with a few thousand of them. They were shoved into every nook and cranny, among the vents, under the stairs, I mean everywhere! It was a sight to behold.

That's true. A collector's mentality is not the same of someone who's not. Completely different wavelengths. I know I buy a lot of crap I won't watch more than once probably, other than using clips for reference points in my own work. But, I've always wanted a massive horror collection. For me, it feels like an extension of myself. When I was a kid, my favorite place in the weird was the massive horror sections of independant rental stores. I felt at home there. With my collecting habits, I actually get the feeling that I've recreated that in my own home. I feel happy and content with my dvds, which I'm sure that goes for anyone that collects wrestling or sports or any other kind of dvds I personally wouldn't ever think of buying.

andrash
02-07-08, 04:40 AM
Anybody collects dvdbox-sets of reality television shows from across the world?
http://www.pinoymovie.com/images/dvd/Pinoy_Big_Celebrity.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QCS7FJW1L._SS500_.jpg
http://www.emi.fi/kuvat/julkaisut/bb_dvd_2005_cover.jpghttp://www.oebfa.com/pics/products/front/2930.jpg
Those WWF videos starting to look better now,no?

Rypro 525
02-07-08, 05:04 AM
Try Ring of Honor. A lot of old-school NWA along with original ECW mixed in. The guy that books it used to work closely with Paul Heyman in ECW, and he really knows what he's doing.
I'll second that. To start out, get the 3 ppv shows (respect is earned, driven, and man up) everything is explained very well to help new fans out. There's a 25% off deal on rohwrestling.com till the 8th if you spend over 50 bucks. Typle feb25 in the 'promotional code' area. Also you'll see several matches on those 3 cards that blow away any wwe or tna match.

DiedLaughing
02-07-08, 08:48 PM
Wrestling is an easy target. Here and elsewhere.
While I do not watch the current "product" for the most part (unless Santino is involved) I do buy/watch/collect the older multi disc sets and shoot interviews. In a way it is kind of a nostalgia thing, I watched starting at age 5 and continued until the last few years. The same way I bought GI JOE & Masters of the Universe cartoons on DVD. May seem silly to those outside looking in, but whatever. To each his own.

Lipid
02-07-08, 09:52 PM
Up until this time I didn't know the Royal Rumble anthology existed. I stopped watching WWF once Steve Austin came into the picture, just grew tired of it.

Odds are I'll buy volumes 1/2. I used to LOVE renting the VHS tapes from the rental store when I was a kid. Yes I would watch them numerous times, I already have in the past. Fantastic.

Dean Kousoulas
02-07-08, 11:35 PM
I find wrestling to be extremely re-watchable.

DVDho78DTS
02-08-08, 02:11 AM
Reading the title the first thing that popped in my head was Wrestling. Entertainment masked as a sport doesn't compute since competition for belts and titles that are predetermined isn't very logical.

Trevor
02-08-08, 06:47 AM
Reading the title the first thing that popped in my head was Wrestling. Entertainment masked as a sport doesn't compute since competition for belts and titles that are predetermined isn't very logical.

Scripts and their outcomes are predetermined in all entertainment movies and television. Why watch any of it?

I hate wrestling, just don't think your argument makes any sense.

dadaluholla
02-08-08, 08:02 AM
Entertainment masked as a sport doesn't compute since competition for belts and titles that are predetermined isn't very logical.

I feel the same about all those frauds who make movies involving baseball, football, basketball, hockey, boxing, etc... Turns out they already know who is going to win BEFORE they even start filming! What a sham.

DVDho78DTS
02-08-08, 08:50 AM
Scripts and their outcomes are predetermined in all entertainment movies and television. Why watch any of it?

I hate wrestling, just don't think your argument makes any sense.

You conveniently left out an important part of the sentence when I said entertainment masked as a sport. I was referring to entertainment presented as a sport is illogical because sports are supposed to be competitive and not fixed.

I have a feeling I better clarify my point more. Pro wrestling is presented as a real sport even though everyone knows it isn't. There is no real competition going on like other real sports. Take the sport aspect out of it and all you have is a predetermined outcome that has to be looked at as entertainment instead of a sport. Personally, I like something that is real to be real unless I'm watching it as a fictional movie or the like. Would the reality TV show Survivor be entertaining if the survivor was picked before the season started? You might not know it until the end but the fact the competition wasn't really one makes everything you just watched pointless. Wouldn't be reality just like wrestling isn't even though it is presented in the same manner.

I'm sure many will argue Survivor isn't entertaining to begin with.

DVDho78DTS
02-08-08, 08:55 AM
I feel the same about all those frauds who make movies involving baseball, football, basketball, hockey, boxing, etc... Turns out they already know who is going to win BEFORE they even start filming! What a sham.

You got me there. -rolleyes- Cripes man, everyone knows that.

Rockmjd23
02-08-08, 10:31 AM
I'm a big wrestling fan but I usually only collect the career retrospective dvds and the other documentaries.

Trevor
02-08-08, 10:51 AM
You conveniently left out an important part of the sentence when I said entertainment masked as a sport. I was referring to entertainment presented as a sport is illogical because sports are supposed to be competitive and not fixed.

We're talking about wrestling. What does sports have to do with anything? :)

And are you sure that Survivor is not completely rigged? :)

PaulNJ21
02-08-08, 11:50 AM
Criterion completionists, don't get me wrong, Criterion puts out a lot of quality movies, but it is different than owning all movies with a certain actor or owning all Disney animated titles which were made by Disney, the only actual running theme to Criterion is the label on the side.

toddly6666
02-08-08, 12:31 PM
Golden Girls series

DVDho78DTS
02-08-08, 04:42 PM
We're talking about wrestling. What does sports have to do with anything? :)

:hairpull: :lol:

And are you sure that Survivor is not completely rigged? :)

It was just the first reality show that popped in my head but there is the possibility anything can be rigged that has competition. I would like to think our society has a little decency left.

Sean O'Hara
02-08-08, 05:20 PM
a few actually:

I have over a thousand movies now, but I got that way by not buying things on release day -- I read the bargain forum and wait for good deals. For $25 I can get four or five movies, which means if I rewatch half of them just once, it's cheaper than Netflix.

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-08-08, 06:41 PM
I have over a thousand movies now, but I got that way by not buying things on release day -- I read the bargain forum and wait for good deals. For $25 I can get four or five movies, which means if I rewatch half of them just once, it's cheaper than Netflix.

As another 1000+ DVD collection owner, let me say there may be all kinds of good reasons to own a large collection, but saving money isn't typically one of them. You've "invested" at least 6 or 7 grand in your collection including storage minimum, right? That same investment in a CD earning 5% would throw off enough interest to pay for a Netflix subscription, pay taxes on the interest, and leave you with the money in the principal. Sure inflation will cut into the value of the money in a CD over time if you don't reinvest the interest, but not as quick as the DVD collection will depreciate.

mr. b_dvd
02-08-08, 11:51 PM
I don't see a problem really with huge collections, if that person is happy with it. Of course, my opinion is obviously biased because I am approaching 700, but people with large collections probably have the belief and desire to watch every one of their dvd's. I know I have a large pile of yet to be viewed dvd's, but I have every intention of watching them. My collection also consists of titles that are more for my wife and children than for me, and I actually leave the room sometimes if they throw in a movie I don't care to watch.

Yakuza, that is a very interesting example you give with the investment comparison, because I often look at my collection and tell myself if I would not have bought all these and instead invested it, I would have a nice chunk of change. My thought then changes to, "No you wouldn't, you would have just spent the money on other stuff." I agree that having a large collection doesn't leave much room for arguing "I'm saving money by buying them on sale." I think Sean simply meant that his collection has grown drastically because of how he buys them, as in not on release day. I personally don't see my dvd's as an "investment" but rather a hobby I enjoy. It is true that it is a cool feeling when you find out you have a dvd that becomes oop, htf, or is limited and now commands more money than when it was new, but I know that the vast majority of dvd's in my collection will not fall into this category.

Oh, and as far as the original topic, I never had an interest in collecting all the Criterion dvd's, but I can understand why someone would want to, bragging rights mainly. I'm not a huge foreign film person, and it seems that alot of the Criterion films would bore me. I have held out though for some movies that have a Criterion release only because I'd rather have the Criterion version over the original if reviews recommend the Criterion one as the best version or transfer of the film. Shoot, I only had one Criterion in my collection until just recently when I picked up The Rock CC off these boards. I've seen them on the shelves for years, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a movie, even if I knew I'd like it. I am also curious to see what happens with the Criterion series when Blu-Ray DVD's become more mainstream. It seems like Criterion should go ahead and make the move to hd, but if they don't, it is going to be hard to argue they have better picture quality over an hd version of the same movie. My guess would be the movies would lose their appeal to many, and along with it their collectibility and value. They may still have a market, but it probably won't be anything like it is now.

Ravid
02-09-08, 12:36 AM
One of my friends is trying to create a veritable DVD library (albeit largely through burning, but that's another matter) but I only buy movies I think I'll rewatch. Or, if the DVD is cheap enough, I'll buy a title I'm marginally interested in as opposed to renting it for about the same price. I bought seasons 1 and 2 of The Office (US) but not season 3 because I didn't like it, and I won't buy The Simpsons past season 9 or 10, so I'm ruthless even with TV shows I like. I have a lot of DVDs on my shelves and on my wish list, but I don't collect any particular kind of DVD, which is probably more dangerous because it never ends :)

DVD Polizei
02-09-08, 12:54 AM
As another 1000+ DVD collection owner, let me say there may be all kinds of good reasons to own a large collection, but saving money isn't typically one of them. You've "invested" at least 6 or 7 grand in your collection including storage minimum, right? That same investment in a CD earning 5% would throw off enough interest to pay for a Netflix subscription, pay taxes on the interest, and leave you with the money in the principal. Sure inflation will cut into the value of the money in a CD over time if you don't reinvest the interest, but not as quick as the DVD collection will depreciate.

But it's not just saving money. It's saving TIME. I can go to my collection, and get a movie in a few minutes. That's still quicker than Netflix. Yep, even quicker than a download. It's also convenience. Not sure what kind of a price you can put on that. Maybe priceless. And what if I change my mind? I can't do that with Netflix. Once the movie is ordered...it's coming to my mailbox, whether I changed my interest for that weekend or not. With a collection in my home, it's as easily as putting the movie back on the shelf and choosing something else if I change my mind or want a different theme to watch. One second I might want James Bond, and then a few minutes later, I might want to watch Ghost In The Shell.

Depending on the types of collections owned, some of us could make a pretty good profit. The trick is, don't buy your movies at retail. Buy them at such a good price, you can easily sell them to break even or even make a profit.

So, for the serious and wise collector, who doesn't just purchase on impulse at retail prices and doesn't have a majority of DVDs which have an extremely low resale value, and who values time and convenience, I'd say owning a large collection easily "pays" for itself.

gdstudent
02-09-08, 03:42 AM
Wrestling DVDs are just like Crime shows on DVD to me. Once the fight is over and I know who won I wouldn’t want to watch the match again. And once I know who the killer is I wouldn’t want to watch that episode again.

Yakuza Bengoshi
02-09-08, 08:00 AM
Yakuza, that is a very interesting example you give with the investment comparison, because I often look at my collection and tell myself if I would not have bought all these and instead invested it, I would have a nice chunk of change. My thought then changes to, "No you wouldn't, you would have just spent the money on other stuff." I agree that having a large collection doesn't leave much room for arguing "I'm saving money by buying them on sale." I think Sean simply meant that his collection has grown drastically because of how he buys them, as in not on release day. I personally don't see my dvd's as an "investment" but rather a hobby I enjoy. It is true that it is a cool feeling when you find out you have a dvd that becomes oop, htf, or is limited and now commands more money than when it was new, but I know that the vast majority of dvd's in my collection will not fall into this category.

I see things pretty much the same way you do. I was just addressing Sean's comment regarding Netflix, not about the value of waiting for bargains.

But it's not just saving money. It's saving TIME. I can go to my collection, and get a movie in a few minutes. That's still quicker than Netflix. Yep, even quicker than a download. It's also convenience. Not sure what kind of a price you can put on that. Maybe priceless. And what if I change my mind? I can't do that with Netflix. Once the movie is ordered...it's coming to my mailbox, whether I changed my interest for that weekend or not. With a collection in my home, it's as easily as putting the movie back on the shelf and choosing something else if I change my mind or want a different theme to watch. One second I might want James Bond, and then a few minutes later, I might want to watch Ghost In The Shell.

I don't disagree with the general thrust of your comment. The convenience of having your favorite movies at hand is definitely one of the best reasons for having a DVD collection.

Depending on the types of collections owned, some of us could make a pretty good profit.

DVDs can sometimes be a good investment. I've definitely had some great resales: picking up OOP CC Hitchcock boxsets and then selling the titles individually for significant profit a year later, buying lots of closeout anime on eBay and selling and trading them in to SecondSpin and DVDPlanet, getting OOP Disney tins through the club and reselling them, culling my collection of OOP titles and selling them on Amazon Marketplace and Half.com, etc, etc. Look at my eBay feedback (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=final_gavel&ftab=AllFeedback) and you'll see it's mostly DVD sales, though most of them are to simply get rid of things I no longer want not to turn a profit. Still, on the whole, having a large amount of money tied up in a DVD collection isn't the smartest thing to do from an investment perspective.

I still love owning the DVDs, but I really don't try to convince myself it's a smart money move.

Trevor
02-09-08, 08:31 AM

So, for the serious and wise collector, who doesn't just purchase on impulse at retail prices and doesn't have a majority of DVDs which have an extremely low resale value, and who values time and convenience, I'd say owning a large collection easily "pays" for itself.

Good comments, similar to the reasons why I buy and never rent.

I have perhaps 2000 DVDs, and average probably less than $10 per title thanks to this forum. The average is about $5 per title for movies, but I own almost as many TV sets as movies.

I love the convenience of being able to watch what I want to watch exactly when I want to watch it. I've done Netflix, but it is not economical for me. I can't plan ahead when I'll have the time or be in the mood to watch a certain film. I might rent title x today, but when it arrives in two or more days, I have neither the time nor the inclination to watch it. I sometimes go weeks or even a month without watching a single DVD, but then might have a week where I watch 20 or more films. I'd end up paying my monthly Netflix fee and only getting a few movies out of it. I'd rather own 3 films for $14.50 than rent 3 for $17.

Jason
02-09-08, 09:27 AM
In the criterion completist vein, I never understood the mad quest to obtain a copy of Salo simply because it was out of print. Given the graphic nature of the movie, many of these completists stated right here on this message board that they had no intention of actually watching it. Filling in the gaps of a collection is one thing, but spending several hundred dollars on something (and running the risk of spending those hundreds on a bootleg) for something that you find disturbing is pretty strange behavior, if you ask me.

mattressman
02-09-08, 11:36 AM
I personally have never understood the fascination with anime. Granted I have seen quite a few, but it seems like most of it is total garbage. However, I do personally like Cowboy Bebop, which was an awesome story with one of the best soundtracks ever. What is not to love? I also enjoyed Akira and a few others (I don't recall their names, but I know they were cool and my friend could easily answer that for me).

I never understood the appeal of most anime series.
I enjoy very many of the anime films I've seen. I absolutely love Akira, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, etc. But the only series I ever really enjoyed was Neon Genesis Evangelion. Although, I have never seen Cowboy Bebop.

zepplin
02-09-08, 04:22 PM
I never think about that. People taste in movies are not the same. Some people collect stamps, other pens, lighters and so on and on. I never say to my friend "why the f++k you bought that sh++." His money, his taste. It is the same to my. I buy movies for me, not for other people to enjoy

BullGooseLoony
02-09-08, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure if anyone addressed this when referring to wrestling DVDs, but the big appeal for me is that, as a fan, there's really no other way to see these events and/or matches outside of home video. Movies are on network television, cable, pay TV, and you a lot of movies almost whenever you want. But once a ppv is done airing, or RAW or SmackDown go off the air, there's a very strong chance that you will never see those matches on TV again. So for me, it's just a chance to get something that is difficult to watch at my leisure.

yoshimi
02-09-08, 06:31 PM
I don't understand why someone would buy certain TV series on dvd. I mean who comes home from a hard days work and thinks " I think I will watch episode 14 of season 4 of The Fresh Prince or Full House?" To each their own I guess.

Sorraffy
02-09-08, 06:59 PM
Anybody collects dvdbox-sets of reality television shows from across the world?

Oh yeah, definitely "reality" tv .... I don't see the thrill at all in watching that stuff much less owning it

Bluelitespecial
02-09-08, 07:51 PM
Well I have a collection of wrestling dvds, some disney flicks, but I have several Sesame street dvds. Mostly the old school dvds, and a few of the SS christmas dvds, for me its just the nostalgia of a more innocent time in my life.

DVDho78DTS
02-09-08, 08:37 PM
I don't understand why someone would buy certain TV series on dvd. I mean who comes home from a hard days work and thinks " I think I will watch episode 14 of season 4 of The Fresh Prince or Full House?" To each their own I guess.

I don't see why not if you're a fan of the series 'cause you know more than likely you will enjoy any episode you watch. Unless you know the whole series verbatim you can pop any episode in and enjoy it just as much the second time as the first and have a nostalgia trip along the way. More so with comedies I'd think instead of the cop shows. That's my guess, I only own one series of television.

bigrederik
02-09-08, 09:50 PM
I could never understand the facination with the SAW movies. I can accept that people will buy a copy of each sequel (although i gave up after the second one), but why in the world do people buy every single edition that comes out for each one? Even a new cover will prompt some people to rush out and buy them. I just dont get it.

35MM
02-10-08, 09:38 AM
I usually buy movies and TV series that just aren't available to watch any other way. Criterion has a place in my collection as does TV series from the 60's that I haven't seen for so long I barely remember them, like The Prisoner, Addams Family and alot of Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation series. Have a decent collection of silent movies also. Do I need to own box sets of The Simpsons, South Park or Family Guy? No. They are funny shoes and I like them but they can also be seen at least a dozen times a week on cable and broadcast TV, so best to save my cash for the hard to find stuff and be my own program director once in a while.

7Keys
02-10-08, 11:00 AM
I like tv shows because I can sit down and watch a 20-23 episode while I eat. Or just before I go to bed. Sometimes I'll put a show on in the background while I clean or cook, etc. I don't have much time to sit around and watch movies, but my tv shows get a lot of watching.