Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Outlaws fans out there?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-03-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I know they're old- but so am I. I'm going to see them at Atlantic City's House of Blues at the end of the month. I was looking for updates of what they've been doing lately. Even looking for who is left from the original band from the 70's.
Old 02-03-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOE29
I know they're old- but so am I. I'm going to see them at Atlantic City's House of Blues at the end of the month. I was looking for updates of what they've been doing lately. Even looking for who is left from the original band from the 70's.
In December 2007, 2008 Outlaws dates were released. In January 2008, the Outlaws lineup would be revealed to include Henry Paul (guitar/vocals), Monte Yoho (Drums), Chris Anderson (Guitar/Vocals), Billy Crain (guitar), Brett Cartwright (Bass), and Jon Coleman (Keyboards). This would be the first Lineup in Outlaws history without Hughie Thomasson on guitars and vocals, as from the band's formation to his death, he was the only constant member, garnering him the nicknames "Mr. Outlaw" and "The Lone Outlaw".
I think Henry Paul (also lead singer of country group BlackHawk) is the only original member now.

I used to listen to them but it's been awhile. I have Hurry Sundown on LP & this on CD:
Old 02-04-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wouldn't say I'm a fan, but they're the first concert I ever saw live back in '82 (Aldo Nova opened up).
Old 02-04-08, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i'm a fan and i'm old too.
They weren't one of my fave southern bands but Hurray Sundown and Green Grass are classics.
I am a huge southern rock fan and got into them during the mid/late 70's.
Of course Skynyrd were the kings but i also love Molly Hatchet,Black Oak Arkansas,Marshall Tucker,and the underated Ozark Mtn Daredevil's.
Southern rock has allway's had it's long drawn out anthems which i love,
but no tune is better than Blackfoot's Highway Song!
Maybe we should start a thread on southern rock to really get into it.
Old 02-05-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Leather Face
and the underated Ozark Mtn Daredevil's.
Always liked them. If You're Gonna Get To Heaven You Got To Raise A Little Hell is one of my favs.
Old 02-05-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an Outlaws t-shirt in 1980 when I was 15. Had that little peach fuzz mustache going as well. Still trying to figure out who I was. Goddamn, those are bad memories! They wrote some good songs, but it's all bit too southern rock for my tastes.
Old 02-05-08, 07:56 AM

Damn, Only one original member left? Makes me think if it would be worth it to go or not. Some member losses are unfortunate- ( Hughie )
Sounds like it would be more of a tribute band which wouldn't be terrible but just not the same.
Yes, i'm up for a southern rock thread
Old 02-05-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Not after having to beat GGAHT on Rock Band I'm not
Old 02-05-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not after having to beat GGAHT on Rock Band I'm not
That's on Rock Band? Damn, wish that was on Guitar Hero. I love that song! I think the live version is close to twenty minutes long. I recall it taking up nearly a whole side of their live album.

Yeah, I dig The Outlaws, too. As far as Southern Rock goes, they certainly had their fair share of hits - "Green Grass And Hight Tides", There Goes Another Love Song", "Hurry Sundown" and their cover of "Ghost Riders In The Sky".
Old 02-05-08, 07:22 PM

I think i'm still going to go see them anyway. I'll just have to treat it as a tribute band.
If you like the Outlwas you should try out In the Eye of the Storm. it has alot of good gutair work on it and alot of good songs. Probably the heaviest one that I know of.
I don't think you'll be disapointed at all if you pick this one up.