Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

February: Try Something New Month

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
February: Try Something New Month

I generally like to read a wide variety of genres. Lately, however, I've found myself sticking with what I know I'll like. In an effort to sample a few other writers, characters, and genres, and because we have so many well read comic posters here, I thought we could do a DVDtalk "Try Something New" month and see how things go.

The favorites I tend to read are: Brian K. Vaughan and Brubaker books, Walking Dead and Invincible, The Goon, with the occassional Conan for good luck.

Based on feedback here at the comic forum, I'm going to try: Queen and Country: Definitive Edition Vol. 1 (new title for me). I'm also throwing in the new Iron Fist trade (new character, new title, and somewhat new genre since I haven't read superhero for awhile).

Anyone else got some titles, writers, or stories I should try? Anyone got tips on new books for others to try?
Old 01-31-08, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Casanova -- Picture Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD as filtered through Grant Morrison, but with the weird cranked up to eleven.
Umbrella Academy -- The lead singer from My Chemical Romance is actually a really good writer. The high concept: a group of 8-year olds with superpowers were brought together but soon went their separate ways. Now it's 20 years later.
Godland -- Joe Casey and Tom Scioli do a pretty good job of channeling Jack Kirby.
Old 01-31-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
I bought the big Godland HC, and read through it last month... while it was entertaining, I don't think I "get it" because it didn't seem all that earth shattering to me. Can anyone explain the appeal?

I'll finally start reading the Mouseguard collection I got a while back, now that the follow up has been solicited and ordered.

I want to try Umbrella Academy, having read a bit more about the backstory of how it was created... are trades out for that yet?

Also, finally read the third HC of Marvel's Annihilation (I gave up trying to find the 2nd HC, and bought the softcover, but decided to go ahead and read volume 3 anyway): it was as good as people hyped it up to be. How are the followups to that?

While I technically won't get it this month, any new collections in the new Previews that worth recommending?
Old 01-31-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
What's with this thread? AFAIK, February books don't come out until the 6th. I mean we just had a big release day yesterday that no one's really had a chance to discuss.
Old 01-31-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
What's with this thread? AFAIK, February books don't come out until the 6th. I mean we just had a big release day yesterday that no one's really had a chance to discuss.
This doesn't cancel any monthly threads. I just started this to get people to try something new. To read a series or writer or genre that you've never read before. Thought it would be cool for everyone to read a new book and tell us how it worked for them.
Old 01-31-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
The favorites I tend to read are: Brian K. Vaughan and Brubaker books, Walking Dead and Invincible, The Goon, with the occassional Conan for good luck.

Based on feedback here at the comic forum, I'm going to try: Queen and Country: Definitive Edition Vol. 1 (new title for me). I'm also throwing in the new Iron Fist trade (new character, new title, and somewhat new genre since I haven't read superhero for awhile).

Anyone else got some titles, writers, or stories I should try? Anyone got tips on new books for others to try?
Hmm. Queen & Country & Iron Fist aren't much of a stretch based on your likes. I say go further out on the limb.

Not knowing what else you might have read in the past I'll offer up the following suggestions:

Blankets - Craig Thompson

David Boring - Dan Clowes

Heartbreak Soup - Gilbert Hernandez

Maggie the Mechanic - Jaime Hernandez

The Boulevard of Broken Dreams

If you haven't already ready these I'm sure you'll find something you like.
Old 01-31-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved BLANKETS. Didn't like DAVE BORING.

But I'm all over the Hernandez books. I don't know why I never read those books in the first place.
Old 01-31-08, 02:21 PM

I think I might pick up Girls the Complete Hardcover. I haven't read any of the Luna brothers work.
Old 01-31-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
I think I might pick up Girls the Complete Hardcover. I haven't read any of the Luna brothers work.
I didn't like Girls at all, or Ultra, I have up on both after about 10 issues. But I absolutely love their new book The Sword, absolutely fantastic.

I stupidly never picked up the monthlies, I have no idea why b/c they are so cheap, but I just ordered the Casanova hardcover, so hopefully it is good.

I've been raving about his stuff for a while here, haven't seen anyone post about him yet, but please, someone try some of Jason's books, they are just brilliant.

His newest. . .

After his existential thriller (Why Are You Doing This?), his Parisian famous-writers crime caper (The Left Bank Gang), and his time-travel story (I Killed Adolf Hitler), Jason's fourth full-color album may feature his loopiest premise yet. Set in the present time, The Last Musketeer stars the by-now centuries old musketeer Athos, who has been reduced to a suavely dressed but useless near-panhandler trading on his now almost extinct fame. All this changes when one day the Martians attack Earth. Suddenly there is a need for swashes to be buckled, and Athos leaps back into the fray with a vengeance. The Last Musketeer is a vintage sci-fi adventure with a unique twist from an internationally acclaimed cartoonist

My favorite . . .

F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and James Joyce walk into a Parisian bar... no, it's not the beginning of a joke, but the premise of Jason's unique new graphic novel. Set in 1920s Paris, The Left Bank Gang is a deliciously inventive re-imagining of these four literary figures as not only typical Jason anthropomorphics, but...graphic novelists! Yes, in Jason's warped world, cartooning is the dominant form of fiction, and not only do these four work literary giants work in the comics medium but they get together to discuss pen vs. brush, chat about the latest graphic novels from Dostoevsky ("I can't tell any of his characters apart!") to Faulkner ("Hasn't he heard of white space? His panels are too crowded!"), and bemoan their erratic careers. With guest appearances by Zelda Fitzgerald and Jean-Paul Sartre, and a few remarkable twists and turns along the way, and you've got one of the funniest and most playful graphic novels of the year.
Old 02-03-08, 10:24 PM

That's very disappointing to hear about Girls. I've been kinda bummed about the ending of Y The last Man and thought another sci-fi (ish) comic might be the way to go and having not read them before...

Anywho, I'm looking to buy some of the more expensive trades by which I mean Omnibus's (marvel), Absolute editions (DC) or the equivalent (The oversized image libraries. I've got

Absolutes
Sandman 1-2, Authority 1-2, Watchmen, New Frontier, Batman: Hush, Batman: Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, Crisis, JLA & Avengers

Omnibus
Uncanny, New X-men, Alias, Dardevil, Spiderman, Brubanker, Captain America, Eternals, Fantastic Four 1-2

I was planning to order:
Daredevil Companion (the only part of this I've read/own is Born Again)
Girls Complete Hardcover
Complete Invincible Library (I do have the original paperback trades)

I'm willing to swap out any of my order if anyone has suggestions.

Some of my favorite trades/series (besides those above).
Astro City, Common Grounds, Meltdown, Blankets, Fables.

Some of the more recommended titles I didn't respond to:
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Gotham Central, Strangers in Paradise
Old 02-04-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My try something new month is starting with a bang: Queen and Country rocks! I'm half way through the first definitive edition and I'm loving it. Sure, it's not that different from my normal tastes, but it's a start.

Once I'm done with this, I'll try one of the Hernandez books (unless Iron Fist gets here first).
Old 02-04-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My try something new month is starting with a bang: Queen and Country rocks! I'm half way through the first definitive edition and I'm loving it. Sure, it's not that different from my normal tastes, but it's a start.
$20 MSRP for 376 pages is pretty hard to pass up. I read the original Volume 1 and liked it, but kinda forgot about the series. I'll have to pick this one up.

I agree on Girls: even with it being a short series, it went on for far too long. A 6 issue mini would've worked better. I think Ultra was more entertaining.

Anybody see the Wanted trailer during the Bowl yesterday? The trailer looked good, I just hope they aren't too far from the source material with the story.
Old 02-04-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Anybody see the Wanted trailer during the Bowl yesterday? The trailer looked good, I just hope they aren't too far from the source material with the story.
I saw the trailer, that film is everything I find wrong with modern American cinema in one 30 second obnoxious film trailer. I didn't like the comic book at all either, I didn't finish it, but as far as I can tell, it strays waaaaay far away from the source material. I thought the comic book was about villains who now control the world & the film looks like it's about a group of assassins fight for good.
Old 02-04-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I saw the trailer, that film is everything I find wrong with modern American cinema in one 30 second obnoxious film trailer. I didn't like the comic book at all either, I didn't finish it, but as far as I can tell, it strays waaaaay far away from the source material. I thought the comic book was about villains who now control the world & the film looks like it's about a group of assassins fight for good.
I agree. Wanted appears to have deviated very far from the source material. Then again, considering the whole comic was a meta-commentary on the modern age of comics, I can't see a mainstream audience understanding a movie that is true to the source material.

I have mixed feelings about the comic. Some aspects were brilliant and harkened back to Watchmen (Ironic, since Watchmen's negative influences are what inspired the book), but especially Astro City. But the scripting and dialogue felt really uninspired and weak - something that's become more and more typical of a Mark Millar these days. Reading his early runs on Ultimates and Authority, with it's sparse dialogue and dependence on dry humor, I wonder what changed. It's sort of like how Bendis really went downhill after he started writing every single Marvel book. I guess the pressures of stardom got to him - I don't blame him. The BKV I read in Runaways (not that it was a bad book, mind you) was definitely not up to par with his writing in Y:TLM and Ex Machina. It's strange considering that Wanted was creator owned.
Old 02-05-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay. I'm going to try Jason's I Killed Adolf Hitler. Off to Amazon to order it now.
Old 02-05-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are the Definitive editions digest sized? I'm not liking the trend of shrinking comics for compilation.
Old 02-05-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
Are the Definitive editions digest sized? I'm not liking the trend of shrinking comics for compilation.
I think they're about 9x6, so not quite digest, but not quite normal comic size either. I liked the size, actually, although there was a little gutter loss on a few of the stories. Finished the book last night, and I'm already excited for volume 2.
Old 02-05-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay. I'm going to try Jason's I Killed Adolf Hitler. Off to Amazon to order it now.
Awesome man, I really really hope you like it. Post what you think, even if you hate it, you have me to blame. I think the guy is brilliant, but you have to enjoy his off-beat sensiblities.
Old 02-06-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Awesome man, I really really hope you like it. Post what you think, even if you hate it, you have me to blame. I think the guy is brilliant, but you have to enjoy his off-beat sensiblities.
Amazon was sold out, but I got it elsewhere. I'll be sure to post my reaction. And I'll be sure to blame you if I don't like it . I like offbeat so I've got high hopes.
Old 02-12-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I received "I Killed Adolf Hitler" last night and read it before bed.

This is a work that is deceptively simplistic in its presentation. There's a contingent of comics fans out there who won't be able to appreciate this because it doesn't look like Jim Lee, but to the right audience, this is a brilliant little book.

And I do mean little. It was a quick 48 pages or so and I was expecting more. Given it's brevity it is all the more surprising how good of story Jason pulls off in this book. Highly recommended.

I'm in for the Left Bank Gang. Thanks, Sessa.
Old 02-28-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I received "I Killed Adolf Hitler" last night and read it before bed.

This is a work that is deceptively simplistic in its presentation. There's a contingent of comics fans out there who won't be able to appreciate this because it doesn't look like Jim Lee, but to the right audience, this is a brilliant little book.

And I do mean little. It was a quick 48 pages or so and I was expecting more. Given it's brevity it is all the more surprising how good of story Jason pulls off in this book. Highly recommended.

I'm in for the Left Bank Gang. Thanks, Sessa.
Didn't notice this post 'til just now. I'm so psyched to turn anyone on to Jason, I'm really glad you liked IKAH. I actulaly, really take my time reading his books, at least to me, they aren't quick reads at all, b/c his panel structure & line work are so brilliant, I really take my time with his books, but I'm a huge dork & am really into art.

My personal favorite thing he has ever done is
The Living and the Dead
. There are only seven lines of dialogue in the entire book, it's just the epitome of sequential art at it's finest.
Old 03-05-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon was sold out, but I got it elsewhere. I'll be sure to post my reaction. And I'll be sure to blame you if I don't like it . I like offbeat so I've got high hopes.
Did you order it online? I just tried Amazon for this book and for "The Killer", but both had a 1-3 week wait. I'm too impatient to wait that long! I'm having trouble finding it at other online stores as well.
Old 03-05-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gamblor187
Did you order it online? I just tried Amazon for this book and for "The Killer", but both had a 1-3 week wait. I'm too impatient to wait that long! I'm having trouble finding it at other online stores as well.
I did. I think it was buy.com or overstock that I got if from.

I have the Killer HC that trade away if you've got anything interesting.
Old 03-05-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did. I think it was buy.com or overstock that I got if from.

I have the Killer HC that trade away if you've got anything interesting.
No luck at buy.com or overstock.

I have an updated trade list at the top of the second page of the trade thread. Check it out and see if anything interests you.