Eli Stone -- "Pilot" -- 1/31/2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eli Stone -- "Pilot" -- 1/31/2008

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Eli Stone has premonitions that make him question his role in life. Eli seeks help from his brother Nathan about the visions who then uncovers something wrong with Eli. Eli then turns to Dr. Chen for alternative solutions to his problems.

Good thing I read the paper this morning. Totally forgot this was starting tonight after LOST!
Old 01-31-08, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was my favorite pilot of the last year's pilot seaso; hope it brings in great ratings.
Old 01-31-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
How have the reviews been for this show? It looks interesting, but by the ads, this show looks like a show critics will hate.
Decent review in the USAToday, FWIW
Old 01-31-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Studio Briefing 29 January 2008:
Spoiler:

Pediatrics Academy Condemns ABC Drama
Despite encountering outrage from the American Academy of Pediatrics, ABC said Monday that it plans to go ahead with the planned broadcast of an episode of the new legal drama Eli Stone in which the title character convinces a jury that mercury in a vaccine was responsible for a child's autism. The Academy and numerous health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, dispute such claims, citing many studies that rule out any link between childhood vaccines and autism. In a statement, AAP President Dr. Renée Jenkins said, "A television show that perpetuates the myth that vaccines cause autism is the height of reckless irresponsibility." She said that if parents who watch the program "choose to deny their children immunizations, ABC will share in the responsibility for the suffering and deaths that occur as a result." The network said that it would agree to air a disclaimer at the opening of the show stating that the story is fictional.

From Studio Briefing 30 January 2008:
Spoiler:

ABC Attacked From All Sides Over Vaccine Drama
ABC has been caught in a tug of war over a forthcoming premiere episode of the legal drama Eli Stone, which deals with a lawsuit against a pharmaceutical company claiming that a vaccine was responsible for a boy's autism. On Monday, the program was denounced by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which warned that it could cause many parents to refuse to allow their children to be vaccinated against life-threatening disease. It asked ABC to withdraw the show. In its response, the network said that it would not do so but would air a disclaimer at the beginning of the show stating that the story was fictional. On Tuesday, an organization called SafeMinds, composed mostly of researchers and parents who claim that their children were diagnosed with autism or other disorders after receiving vaccines that used thimerosal, a mercury-containing compound, as a preservative, asked that ABC resist the AAP's request to remove the episode. The group applauded ABC for resisting the AAP's demands and said that the program "is a needed addition to continued discourse on this important subject for our children's health."
Old 01-31-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's George Michael's comeback vehicle!
Old 01-31-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
It's George Michael's comeback vehicle!

He's the only reason I'm going to give this a try.
Old 01-31-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I've give this a go since Victor Garber is on it. Also I noticed that Natasha Henstridge is on it as his daughter.

I'll be curious to see how much of Lost's audience this retains since this looks like an Ally McBeal-type comedy drama.

Also, an FYI, this show was created by Greg Berlanti, formerly of Brothers & Sisters.
Old 01-31-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I might watch this... though I sort of doubt it. If it was on a different night I would but my mind might blow up or something crazy (along those lines) after the Lost Premiere. It's going to take time for me to wind down from the episode and then I'll probably want to go online and discuss it before watching the episode again. Of course, there is going to be a "Special Announcement" from Oceanic Airlines during the commercials of Eli Stone. Plus I DO want to watch the show to see what it's like. I want to support Victor Garber's career ... I'm a big Alias fan. I guess I'll find out how I feel tonight.
Old 01-31-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, an FYI, this show was created by Greg Berlanti, formerly of Brothers & Sisters.
Formerly??? The show is still Berlanti Television, which I believe is under contract to Touchstone.

The three Berlanti Television TV shows I know of are Brothers & Sisters, Dirty Sexy Money and Eli Stone. Berlanti has been focused on Eli Stone for the 2007 season.
Old 01-31-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I only said formerly because Berlanti hired a new showrunner to oversee Brothers & Sisters while he devoted all his attention to Eli Stone. He's still an in name only producer, but he's not involved in the day to day production of the show.
Old 01-31-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Berlanti created one of my favorite shows, EVERWOOD. One of its stars made an appearance in this pilot, Tom Amandes.
Old 01-31-08, 10:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have FAITH in this show, so help me god
Old 01-31-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it.
Old 01-31-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The show has aired so I guess I can remove the spoiler tags.

Originally Posted by Ayre
From Studio Briefing 29 January 2008:
Pediatrics Academy Condemns ABC Drama
Despite encountering outrage from the American Academy of Pediatrics, ABC said Monday that it plans to go ahead with the planned broadcast of an episode of the new legal drama Eli Stone in which the title character convinces a jury that mercury in a vaccine was responsible for a child's autism. The Academy and numerous health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, dispute such claims, citing many studies that rule out any link between childhood vaccines and autism. In a statement, AAP President Dr. Renée Jenkins said, "A television show that perpetuates the myth that vaccines cause autism is the height of reckless irresponsibility." She said that if parents who watch the program "choose to deny their children immunizations, ABC will share in the responsibility for the suffering and deaths that occur as a result." The network said that it would agree to air a disclaimer at the opening of the show stating that the story is fictional.

From Studio Briefing 30 January 2008:
ABC Attacked From All Sides Over Vaccine Drama
ABC has been caught in a tug of war over a forthcoming premiere episode of the legal drama Eli Stone, which deals with a lawsuit against a pharmaceutical company claiming that a vaccine was responsible for a boy's autism. On Monday, the program was denounced by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which warned that it could cause many parents to refuse to allow their children to be vaccinated against life-threatening disease. It asked ABC to withdraw the show. In its response, the network said that it would not do so but would air a disclaimer at the beginning of the show stating that the story was fictional. On Tuesday, an organization called SafeMinds, composed mostly of researchers and parents who claim that their children were diagnosed with autism or other disorders after receiving vaccines that used thimerosal, a mercury-containing compound, as a preservative, asked that ABC resist the AAP's request to remove the episode. The group applauded ABC for resisting the AAP's demands and said that the program "is a needed addition to continued discourse on this important subject for our children's health."
Of course the pediatricians are right. Every well structured study that has ever been done has found no evidence for any link (one that claimed to have found evidence was later repudiated by most of its authors). It was also humorous that the show cleverly disguised thimerosal as "mercurisal" or some such thing ("Hey, let's actually put mercury right in the name").

There have been two major studies just this month again refuting a link. See: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=512440 .

Last edited by movielib; 02-01-08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It didn't really grab me, but it doesn't have any real competition if E.R. is pretty much done with their episodes on Thursdays in this timeslot.
Old 01-31-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I enjoyed it.
Yeah. It wasn't anything earthshattering (and I enjoyed Tom's cameo), but since ER's about done (or IS done), i'll probably be too lazy or too busy trying to interpret the episode of LOST I just watched to change the channel..
Old 01-31-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked it better the 1st time I saw it, when it was called Wonderfalls.
Old 01-31-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
I liked it better the 1st time I saw it, when it was called Wonderfalls.
Me too. Except that Wonderfalls was pure fantasy (and a terrific show) and didn't irresponsibly bring in excruciatingly bad science such as this one did.

This show just seemed stupid on all levels. Even leaving out the aneurysm "vision" element, it makes David Kelley's wacky Boston Legal look like a documentary.

Last edited by movielib; 01-31-08 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Laura Benanti

I spy with my 'lil eye -- a waist-line tattoo!
Old 02-01-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Me too. Except that Wonderfalls was pure fantasy (and a terrific show) and didn't irresponsibly bring in excruciatingly bad science such as this one did.

This show just seemed stupid on all levels. Even leaving out the aneurysm "vision" element, it makes David Kelley's wacky Boston Legal look like a documentary.
Thanks for bringing that up. As a physician, I find it so incredibly irresponsible to present bad faux science and present it as fact. The truth is that the amount of mercury in a flu vaccine is about equal to one and a half cans of tuna. No links of autism to vaccines have ever been shown in any scientific study. Oh, and by the way, the most common vaccine-preventable disease and vaccine-preventable cause of death in the US is influenza.
The little half-assed disclaimer at the end didn't cut it for me at all. There might be a good series in that show, but they really f''ed it up in that pilot with the vaccine crap.
Old 02-01-08, 01:04 AM
Banned

Umm, where was Julie Gonzalo!?!?!?
Old 02-01-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
We started watching, but had to stop because we had work today. So far, very enjoyable. While not too different (Wonderfalls with a lawyer), still in HD and 5.1, better than rewatching Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters a million times (hey, and we LOVE those shows.)
Old 02-01-08, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked it
Old 02-01-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing special, but enjoyable enough to stick with it for a while.
Old 02-01-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I turned it off after 15 minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.