Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol Week 3 Auditions 1/29-1/30

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
American Idol Week 3 Auditions 1/29-1/30

Week 3 of Idol continues. Omaha, Nebraska is tonight's stop.
Old 01-29-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's sad to see them send to Hollywood a lot of fodder for TV, and not show us a lot of talent. This was a pretty poor episode.
Old 01-29-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What on earth was up with Paula? She had to be hopped up on something...
Old 01-29-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the episode, but I got nothing to say about it.

Wake me when we get to Hollywood...
Old 01-29-08, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
It's all that Coca-Cola they keep sipping all day.

She's got a sugar monkey on her back.

Although the show is still sort of entertaining, it gets tiresome watching some of the antics (the Ryan switcheroo during an "audition"...how can anybody take this seriously, when a trip to Hollywood is supposedly at stake and the "judges" are cutting up while the 'singer' stands there?).

Also tired of seeing the inconsistent standards. Last week, Pilot Girl got booted for being too nervous; tonight, a guy completely forgets lyrics (which used to be the automatic kiss of death) and stalls...not once, but twice. The result..."You're going to Hollywood, Baby!" Some of the candidates seem to have the Golden Willy Wonka Ticket in hand before they even open their mouths...if they're cute and look marketable, that is, and don't sound totally off-key. I understand the deserved criticism of the singers who just totally mimic someone else, but then some of them get to go on (such as the cute but otherwise unremarkable brunette who imitated Norah Jones).

Starting to get the feel that it's going to get harder and harder to watch this two nights a week for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of auditionees forgetting lyrics, whatever happened to that cute young blonde who seemed like a lock for the final 10 in the early going last year and then forgot her lyrics in the 2nd round or so? It seemed as though the producers eyes were filled with dollar signs when she started out. We felt sure that she would be back this season for another try.
Old 01-29-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bailey Brown downward spiral recap: http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/features/8934.html

Not to be confused with: http://www.bayliebrown.net/

Last edited by Patman; 01-30-08 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-30-08, 08:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Patman
Bailey Brown downward spiral recap: http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/features/8934.html

Thank you, Patman! We could only remember that even her name seemed catchy...almost like a stage name. I was too lazy to dig back into old threads or Google old AI archives.

That closeup shot of her face in the second link is kinda scary with all the makeup (that bright-red lipstick, especially) & the attempt to look "sultry". Not to knock the kid, who's probably a nice person, but that looks more like a shot some ingenue would use to advertise for a questionable "acting" career. You'd think they'd at least have picked a shot where she smiles like a normal teen.

Anyway, that's old news. Just thought that last night was an indication of the inconsistency in how the rules were applied. After reading the recap, maybe the judges get tougher as the contestants progress & that's why BB got the axe while the guy last night got three strikes. And, to be fair, the lyric finally did kick in for him....although the 'nerves' thing still bothered me a little.

Was it just us, or did there seem to be a 'sameness' in appearance in a lot of the contestants who made it (shown in the brief glimpses) but whose auditions weren't featured? Didn't see a lot of variety. No Sanjayus yet.
Old 01-30-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm getting bored of these auditions. All the girls look and sound the same to me. They hit all the tired cliches: the half-yodel, the vocal gymnastics, the throaty growl. The girl who sang the Norah Jones song was like a breath of fresh air.
Old 01-30-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Samantha Sidley (22) (the Norah Jones girl) was beautiful !
I'm rooting for her to win it !

Her audition video:
http://tv.popcrunch.com/american-ido...h-jones-video/

Last edited by Struz; 01-30-08 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Samantha a lot as well. She is easily my fave so far.
Old 01-30-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
Also tired of seeing the inconsistent standards. Last week, Pilot Girl got booted for being too nervous; tonight, a guy completely forgets lyrics (which used to be the automatic kiss of death) and stalls...not once, but twice.
Well he did sing a lot better
Old 01-30-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

I don't understand. Why are you posting about last year's American Idol? I remember she was the girl who forgot her words. However I don't recall seeing her audition this year.
Old 01-30-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Am I the only one who feels that the winner of this contest should get something more than the title "American Idol"? This show makes a bloody fortune for Fox; don't you think the winner should get a million dollar check? A car? A prestigeous opening-act gig? Something???? Yeah, I know they get a recording contract, but ask Jordin Sparks how that worked out for her. Who made out better in your eyes -- Taylor Hicks or Chris Daugherty? I'd like to see a big prize at the end of this so it felt like more was at stake besides getting a picture on the backdrop the next year.
Old 01-30-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a bit of trivia. Robbie (the boy band guy turned rocker) danced with Jessi Peralta (So You Think You Can Dance) together at the same dance studio in Cocoa FL! He was an awesome dancer and performer, afterwards went on to a boy band thing and toured for a while when he was pretty young. He is now a local rocker and plays small venues here in his hometown. I think he sounded really good, although he was pretty nervous. They both danced with my daughter, in fact Robbies sister, Samara, the blonde shooting the silly string is an awesome choreographer and choreographed a lot of my daughters competition numbers. It's exciting to know someone in the process, hope he has better luck than Jessi did!

Last edited by magiccmom; 01-30-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gee, I thought FOX was trying to pretend as if American Juniors never happened.
Old 01-30-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
My wife said the exact same thing. Pain pills, likely.
Old 01-30-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe they let that Latin dude through.
Old 01-31-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I can't believe they let that Latin dude through.
Cannon fodder for the LA/Hollywood episodes.
Old 01-31-08, 07:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
http://www.google.com/trends

Old 01-31-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Am I the only one who feels that the winner of this contest should get something more than the title "American Idol"? This show makes a bloody fortune for Fox; don't you think the winner should get a million dollar check? A car? A prestigeous opening-act gig? Something???? Yeah, I know they get a recording contract, but ask Jordin Sparks how that worked out for her. Who made out better in your eyes -- Taylor Hicks or Chris Daugherty? I'd like to see a big prize at the end of this so it felt like more was at stake besides getting a picture on the backdrop the next year.
I thought they get a car from the sponsor of the show?
Old 01-31-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I thought they get a car from the sponsor of the show?
Yeah, but it's a Ford so that doesn't count.
Old 01-31-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I never heard of American Juniors and thought that the girl was more than a little precocious; however, she was good enough to put through given the talent level of the other folks that got the golden ticket.

Same for the Air Force girl last week and the meat packer from this week.

Seems like they were being overly harsh to an American Junior and a Florida Idol winner just for the sake of saying no to them. I may not have the best ear in the world, but these are the people that put Antonia (or whatever her name was) through to the "real" show last year and both these girls are likely better than her.
Old 01-31-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
No shit. What he hell is Yucko the Clown doing on there?
Old 01-31-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted the two heavy women to sing "It's Raining Men".
Old 01-31-08, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDChris
I don't understand. Why are you posting about last year's American Idol? I remember she was the girl who forgot her words. However I don't recall seeing her audition this year.
That was my fault. I just wondered if she might have been tried out again this year since the judges were so hot on her last year (I believe it was Simon that pronounced her "Commercial With a Capital C" and predicted that she would make it to the finals). Sorry...wasn't trying to threadcrap, but saw several others who had tried out before (including the guy who has tried out 7 times).

Back to this year's auditions. The inconsistent judging continued...the Filipino girl that belted out "Natural Woman" was great, IMHO. Yet Simon gave her thumbs-down...not because he didn't like her voice, but he thought she wasn't "contemporary enough" (or something to that effect).

I would have two questions for the esteemed Mr. Cowell:

(1) Exactly HOW would you make a song such as "(You Make Me Feel Like a) Natural Woman" contemporary?? Rap? Beat-box? At least she didn't try to just do an imitation of the original singer (Roberta Flack?)

(2) As far as "old-fashioned" singers who don't perform in contemporary styles not getting very far these days, maybe he should check out some recent & current Grammy winners & nominees (since he puts so much stock in them). Does he consider Amy Winehouse & Norah Jones to be "contemporary"? Seems that they have done pretty well commercially performing retro styles.

As I mentioned in the other post, it's obvious lapses like this that make it hard to take the 'judging' seriously (thankfully, with the Filipino girl, Randy & Paula saved the day...showing better judgment than Simon for once). I know that reactions to any artistic endeavor in any field tend to be highly subjective, but neither my wife nor I could hear any flaws in the vocal performance (unlike a few others who hit flat notes but sailed through unanimously).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.