Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KURT COBAIN: "About A Son" -2/19/08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Further Details:
Shout! Factory and Vivendi Visual Entertainment will be releasing Kurt Cobain About a Son on 19th February. Timed to be released on Kurt Cobain's 41st birth anniversary, this title is "an intimate and moving portrait of the late musician and artist Kurt Cobain as told entirely in his own words." The DVD will feature a behind the scenes featurette and will sell for $19.99.

cover: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...out-a-son.html

DVDACTIVE.com
Old 01-29-08, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll pass, but hey, thanks Kurt...the Foo Fighters are incredible.
Old 01-29-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I'll pass, but hey, thanks Kurt...the Foo Fighters are incredible.
Ouch. Harsh.

I know a lot of people feel that way but I will take a Nirvana cd over a Foo Fighters any day of the week.
Old 01-29-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might pick it up.

Given more time who knows how Nirvana would be looked at, I think they would have been great, BUT I must say, if I take Nirvana's first 4 albums compared to the Foos, I would take the Foos any day of the week, Even though Nirvana's were great.
Old 01-29-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Ouch. Harsh.

I know a lot of people feel that way but I will take a Nirvana cd over a Foo Fighters any day of the week.
Me too. Foo Fighters, as good as they are, have way too many ballads and slow songs. Nirvana had about three of them. (I'm not counting the MTV Unplugged thing)
Old 01-29-08, 08:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
nope. not interested.
Old 01-29-08, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're better off getting this on audiobook....
Old 01-29-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I like Nirvana and Cobain as much as the next guy but I'll pass on this. I'm going to let my Nirvana purchases/experience end with the excellent "With The Lights Out".
Old 01-29-08, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Me too. Foo Fighters, as good as they are, have way too many ballads and slow songs. Nirvana had about three of them. (I'm not counting the MTV Unplugged thing)

Yeah your right, because slow songs and ballads suck! There can NOT be good slow songs. Nope, never. There the worse! I wish,, I wish we could just take all the slow songs, ballads, and just,, just stick em in a hole, or better yet,, yes,, yes blast them all to the moon!!!
Old 01-29-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I like the Foos all right, but Nirvana is to Foo Fighters as Beatles are to Monkees.
Old 01-29-08, 10:36 PM
Banned

I saw this. It's all moving images of where he grew up. Not a single image of anything to do with Nirvana til the very very end. That said the never before heard audio in it is quit entertaining.

7/10
Old 01-30-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Yeah your right, because slow songs and ballads suck! There can NOT be good slow songs. Nope, never. There the worse! I wish,, I wish we could just take all the slow songs, ballads, and just,, just stick em in a hole, or better yet,, yes,, yes blast them all to the moon!!!
Glad to see we're in agreement, though I wouldn't be so immature about it. Not ALL slow songs and ballads suck. Just 99.9% of them.

Don't be so closed minded. There's a couple "good" ones, but they are far and few between. Nirvana's slow songs certainly sucked! Thank God there was only 3 of them ("About A Girl" (i.e. the "good" one), "Something In The Way" and "Come As You Are"... oops "Marigold" that sucked too).

Foo Fighters have a couple good slower songs too. "Big Me" is one of them. Maybe the only one. There is a place for slower songs, but bands don't need to put 5 or 6 of them on every album. One or two every 5 albums or so is probably appropriate (provided they're "good").

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 01-30-08 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Ouch. Harsh.

No doubt, I've never bought a Foo whatever CD and have no intentions of doing so. I just don't see any non-mainstream talent.
Old 01-31-08, 11:01 PM

Glad to see we're in agreement, though I wouldn't be so immature about it. Not ALL slow songs and ballads suck. Just 99.9% of them.

Don't be so closed minded. There's a couple "good" ones, but they are far and few between. Nirvana's slow songs certainly sucked! Thank God there was only 3 of them ("About A Girl" (i.e. the "good" one), "Something In The Way" and "Come As You Are"... oops "Marigold" that sucked too).

Foo Fighters have a couple good slower songs too. "Big Me" is one of them. Maybe the only one. There is a place for slower songs, but bands don't need to put 5 or 6 of them on every album. One or two every 5 albums or so is probably appropriate (provided they're "good").

hehe, I was..uh..being sarcastic.. its ok though man, we all have different likes and dislikes. I like tons of different music, and there are great slow songs, and great fast songs. To me there is no difference, good songs are good songs.
Old 02-16-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is this a 2 hour sit down interview with Kurt? Or is it some audio interview w/ Kurt and they show a bunch of pictures with Kurt talking over it?
Old 02-16-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I like the Foos all right, but Nirvana is to Foo Fighters as Beatles are to Monkees.
Old 02-16-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Marigold rocks I love that song.

That is all.
Old 02-16-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Marigold rocks I love that song.

That is all.
No, it does not "rock". You may like it. You may think it's "good", but does not "rock". Kids these days don't know the definition of what "rock" is. Or what it is to "rock". "Rock" implies loudness. It implies power. It must have loud, distorted guitars. "Marigold" has absolutely none of that.

Does anyone have anything to add about the DVD that's in the thread title?
Old 02-16-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Does anyone have anything to add about the DVD that's in the thread title?
Before you get all high and mighty, you yourself have four posts in this thread, and only one has anything remotely to do with the DVD, and it's not even a comment, it's a question.

Glass houses.
Old 02-16-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
marigold is acutally a Dave Grohl song, so it's more Foo than Nirvana...

I would take Foo over Nirvana anyday.
Old 02-17-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Before you get all high and mighty, you yourself have four posts in this thread, and only one has anything remotely to do with the DVD, and it's not even a comment, it's a question.

Glass houses.
Right back at ya!

Yes, I realized that. But when ridiculous/false things are being said, I feel like I have a duty to correct it. And I TRIED to steer the thread to get on topic. Do you have anything to add about the DVD? Or should we just have the thread closed?

I would like to know about the DVD. I don't know if I want to pay $20 an audio commentary for a still gallery. Is that what this is? It sounds like it. Can ANYone verify this?
Old 02-17-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Right back at ya!

Yes, I realized that. But when ridiculous/false things are being said, I feel like I have a duty to correct it. And I TRIED to steer the thread to get on topic. Do you have anything to add about the DVD? Or should we just have the thread closed?

I would like to know about the DVD. I don't know if I want to pay $20 an audio commentary for a still gallery. Is that what this is? It sounds like it. Can ANYone verify this?
You can call it anything you like, but you are just as responsible for taking this thread of course as anyone else (and I have nothing to do with it).

You talk about foo fighters, nirvana's slow songs, and the state of rock music. But then you attack other members for derailing this thread.

That's bullshit, and you know it. Trying to turn that around on me is laughable.

You want this thread to get on track, then take affirmative action and do so. Don't you dare try and call out other members for doing what you did worse.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 02-17-08 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-17-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You want this thread to get on track, then take affirmative action and do so. Don't you dare try and call out other members for doing what you did worse.
Yes, you are right. I AM AGREEING WITH YOU. (with the exception that at the end of each and every one of my corrections, I DID try to bring the thread on topic. Unlike anyone else.)

And I'm TRYING to do MY part to get the thread back on track. Thanks for participating in the discussion. Perhaps we can ALL shut the fuck up and get this thread on track. Or have a mod close it.

ONCE AGAIN (for the third or fourth time): does ANYONE know if this is just a still gallery with Kurt Cobain commentary or more like a "real" documentary where old interviews and footage w/ Kurt and other people are used? The description of it makes it sounds like it's just a still gallery with a Kurt Cobain interview over it. Supposedly there's no Nirvana music in it.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 02-18-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-17-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The official site of the dvd has a trailer and film clip up for viewing.
Old 02-18-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CreatureX
The official site of the dvd has a trailer and film clip up for viewing.
THANK YOU.

I think the only saving grace for this is that the interviews were done by Michael Azzerad (sp?) who did an excellent job on the "Come As You Are" book (which I read about 5 times).

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 02-18-08 at 10:19 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.