Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untraceable starring Diane Lane Opening 1/25/08

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-24-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Anyone seeing this movie this weekend? I think it looks really interesting and will probably check this out on Sunday. Big fan of Diane Lane. I will watch anything with her.

Trailer:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLYo5tMylQM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLYo5tMylQM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Within the FBI, there exists a division dedicated to investigating and prosecuting criminals on the internet. Welcome to the front lines of the war on cybercrime, where Special Agent Jennifer Marsh has seen it all--until now. A tech-savvy internet predator is displaying his graphic murders on his own website--and the fate of each of his tormented captives is left in the hands on the public: the more hits his site gets, the faster his victims die. When this game of cat and mouse becomes personal, Marsh and her team must race against the clock to track down this technical mastermind who is virtually untraceable.

Old 01-24-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's impossible for me to see that trailer without thinking of the historically bad shitbomb that was feardotcom.

But it's a slow week and I bet we end up seeing this one. I agree with the Diane Lane sentiment, so it can't be a total loss.
Old 01-24-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm so glad this film is opening... so I never have to see the trailer again. Seriously, this and Step Up 2 Tha Streets drive me batshit crazy everytime I go to the theaters.

Plus, this movie looks like Saw for the over-40, non-horror crowd.
Old 01-24-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember seeing this trailer a couple weeks ago in the theater. My girlfriend kind of dug it, but i didn't think much of it. I think it's one of those things that's hard for me to swallow since i'm kind of a techy guy and would think the whole premise of being "untraceable" to be dumb.

Diane Lane is darn fine looking though for an "older" woman
Old 01-24-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Movie looks decent enough but I'll wait for video.
Old 01-24-08, 08:25 PM

The only reason I'm seeing this movie is because I and a bunch of my friends are in it.

I'm not sure if I'll be seen in the movie because I was only there for one day, but I know for a fact my brother will be seen in the movie because I can see him at several times in the trailer.
Old 01-24-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I laugh uncontrollably when I see the ads.

Voice on the phone, "I hear you breathing" is not only cliche as hell but just wasn't intimidating at all. All the technical flaws in the convos, flawed concept for what it is worth, and just some truly knuckle headed dialog ("He's untraceable!")... I also get a giggle out of "He hacked my car!". It may turn out decent, but the trailers and ads are god awful, and it pains me to see Diane Lane in this

Even the poster is cornball. I think I'm too big of a nerd for it... and for some reason it reminds me of Demonlover.
Old 01-24-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this trailer and all I could think of was something like THE NET 2 : ELECTRIC BUNGALOOOO!!!!! SCARY...stupid cliches - THE GUY IS IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE CAR _____ OOOHHHHHH
Old 01-24-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH NOES! THE INTERNEST IS EVIL!

Seriously, these sorts of films make it seem like computers and the internet are capable of much more than they really ever can dream to do.
Old 01-24-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I laugh at how they keep mentioning Silence of the Lambs in the ads.
Old 01-24-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cliched thrillers:

Diane Lane: x4,691. No matter if it's Streets of Fire or this, the woman is HOT. Plus she's married to Josh Brolin.
Old 01-25-08, 04:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As soon as I saw the trailer for this, I said, "This one has got to be opening in January." It just seems like the perfect early year dumping ground movie.
Old 01-25-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds exactly the same as an old episode of Millenium.

BUT Lane is a hottie regardless of age, she was hot when she was younger and hot now!
Old 01-25-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I'm so glad this film is opening... so I never have to see the trailer again. Seriously, this and Step Up 2 Tha Streets drive me batshit crazy everytime I go to the theaters.

THANK YOU! Me too. That, and "Vantage Point". For fuck sake, I've seen THAT damn trailer for at least four months now.
Old 01-25-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
As soon as I saw the trailer for this, I said, "This one has got to be opening in January." It just seems like the perfect early year dumping ground movie.
Me too. My favorite critic line so far (next to those ridiculous "Silence of the Lamb" comparisons) has been "What, was Sandra Bullock busy?"
Old 01-25-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Duder
The only reason I'm seeing this movie is because I and a bunch of my friends are in it.

I'm not sure if I'll be seen in the movie because I was only there for one day, but I know for a fact my brother will be seen in the movie because I can see him at several times in the trailer.
Cool. And I bet you didn't have to pay $5000 for it (re: X-files 2).
Old 01-25-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Anyone seeing this movie this weekend?
Martin Jeeves!
Old 01-25-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe its the fact that I've been seeing a lot of chick flicks lately with the fiance, but if I see another trailer for that movie with Jason Reynolds telling his daughter who he fucked in order to spawn her..I'm going to throw up..I love the line "This story already has a happy ending .......you!" Kill me now.
Old 01-25-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is the DVD Talk review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32121
Old 01-25-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Maybe its the fact that I've been seeing a lot of chick flicks lately with the fiance, but if I see another trailer for that movie with Jason Reynolds telling his daughter who he fucked in order to spawn her..I'm going to throw up..I love the line "This story already has a happy ending .......you!" Kill me now.
Ryan Reynolds?
Old 01-25-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bet they offered the lead role to Keanu Reeves than Christian Slater...

finally realizing that a woman could play the role they offered it to Lane first.
Old 01-25-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Movie looks dumb....I dont understand something though.....why cant the Feds just trace the domain name and disable it so people cant go to it.

Technically, I guess it could be hard to trace the actual IP (depending on the hacker), but the domain name should be easy to trace/disable so people couldnt go to it...am I right? What am I missing?

This concept just seems plain dumb to me.

Also, does anyone else think from the trailer that its gonna end up being Tom Hank's kid is the killer?
Old 01-28-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Saw this on Sunday and I actually kind of enjoyed it. Alot of the elements of this film felt like "Been there, done that." As far as the torture and killings go, it was pretty tame compared to what some of us have seen in the Saw and Hostel movies. There was one somewhat gruesome torture scene where:
Spoiler:

Colin Hanks is tied up and sitting in a pool of acid and has skin and bones start dissolving while he's alive.

But, Diane Lane's solid performance as Jennifer Marsh gave the film some credibility for what is essentially a B-movie straight to video plot. Only recommended if you like Diane Lane, otherwise I would wait for the video release.
Old 01-28-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seen it... Don't ask me why, I just like to go see movies sometimes and we went to this. Sure Diane Lane was good, but either than that, its a real "are you kidding me?" movie. Nothing remotely believable, but I guess I've seen worse.
Old 01-28-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Untraceable" is a serviceable thriller featuring Diane Lane as a FBI agent on their cyber-crime department facing a cyber-mastermind who uses people's voyeuristic tendencies on the internet to use website hits to kill his victims one by one, the faster people visit the website, the faster the victim dies a gruesome death, with video of the death streamed to the death voyeurs.

Character development is passable, but not thoroughly engaging. The plot twists seem a little stale, and didn't offer much in terms of surprises, though the resolution did bring one viewer out of her seat at my viewing, punctuated with a "Yeah" and wild punch in the air. I guess she was really into the film at that point. Heh.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.