Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kitchen Nightmares BBC America Season Premiere 1/24/08

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kitchen Nightmares BBC America Season Premiere 1/24/08

Just thought that I would mention that Gordon is back with the much better, original Kitchen Nightmares tonight at 8 on BBC America. It's followed by some show called "Last Restaurant Standing". I'll be watching both.
Old 01-24-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
It was bound to happen:
http://www.thestar.com/Unassigned/article/296080
Kitchen Nightmare on Elm Street: The immediate reaction from my foodie colleagues was "It's about %$#&-ing time!" And indeed it was pretty much inevitable. The infamously mercurial and adamantly profane TV chef Gordon Ramsay had to flee a Kitchen Nightmares shoot this week, hotly pursued by an enraged restaurateur who chased him down the street, brandishing a butcher knife. Ramsay, whose bacon was saved by security staff, told the U.K. tabloid The Sun the attack was apparently triggered by a typically innocent and well-intentioned remark: "I told him I disliked him more than anyone in the world." Some people are sooo touchy.
Old 01-24-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know what channel BBC is on cablevision?
Old 01-24-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Love this show. Love watching Ramsay function as an efficiency expert and address so many issues: menu, kitchen staff, interior decor, exterior decor in some instance, wait staff, etc.
Old 01-24-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Good thread! I didn't know until a commercial an hour ago while watching a run in the background.
Old 01-24-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
anyone know what channel BBC is on cablevision?
Cablevision does not have BBC

but they do have "Azteca America" check it out it's on channel 232... who wants BBC and NFL Network when we have that and "Jewelry Television"

I found this petition - I signed it - can't hurt

http://www.petitiononline.com/CVCBBCA/petition.html

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 01-24-08 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damnit!!!! No BBC? And I was all excited
Old 01-24-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Just thought that I would mention that Gordon is back with the much better, original Kitchen Nightmares tonight at 8 on BBC America. It's followed by some show called "Last Restaurant Standing". I'll be watching both.
Comcast here in Chicago is listing a repeat of kitchen nightmares (the walnut tree episode) on afterwards not last restaurant standing. anyone know whats up?
Old 01-24-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Comcast here in Chicago is listing a repeat of kitchen nightmares (the walnut tree episode) on afterwards not last restaurant standing. anyone know whats up?
Same here, just repeats. I just watched the new episode of Kitchen Nightmares at 5PM, and they had an ad for Last Restaurant Standing to start on Feb 12th as a 2 hour premiere. Maybe they rethought it and decided to run the first 2 episodes back to back.
Old 01-24-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Odd, that just came on as well. However, the guide on DTV says it's that new series premier, but all of the commercials said the 12th of Feb.

As for the episode, I thought it was one of the best to date. Gordon was at his best, and perhaps least "Gordonish". He can pester until the other person gives in and decides to do it Gordon's way. That can annoy me about Gordon, but more often than not he is right. Likewise, when they do agree to change, it's usually halfheartedly and temporary. Luckily for Allan Love, he decided to look past the personal parts, and view the outcome as a business. Hoewver, it turned out better for him in the end! I think it was interesting to see that it wasn't everything in one, since he clearly wasn't able to salvage his home.

Lastly, I think it was very touching to see Gordon's genuine concern for the predicament that Allan had found himself in. To me, that's what really drives KN and what seperates it from dramady that is HK.
Old 01-25-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
It's amazing how reluctant these owners are to change. I mean, what they are doing is not working. If they don't change, it's over.

Most episodes follow the same outline: Gordon tries to provoke change, owner is reluctant to change, owner begrudgingly agrees to change and ultimately the restaurant improves as a result. Now, if the owner and/or head chef is a complete buffoon (and that has been the case several times) things will regress back to the way they were.

Allan seemed smart enough not to ruin things but you never know if these turnarounds are because Gordon/the cameras are there or if it's a sustainable change. This one seemed legit.
Old 01-25-08, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
"told the U.K. tabloid The Sun the attack was apparently triggered by a typically innocent and well-intentioned remark: "I told him I disliked him more than anyone in the world." Some people are sooo touchy."

lol - love it!

This episode was pretty good - I'm very glad he's back on the BBC - the US version was a bunch of bullshit.
Old 01-27-15, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Kitchen Nightmares BBC America Season Premiere 1/24/08

Pssst: They are airing new episodes of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBCA Thursday nights at 8 central. This is the original UK/good version. First episode was last week but is being rerun before this week's.
Old 01-27-15, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. How is it? I miss the "real" Ramsey.
Old 01-27-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Thanks for the heads up. How is it? I miss the "real" Ramsey.
It's a return to the original UK show, with no stupid FOX voiceover, dramatic musical flourishes, phony drama, etc. For the life of me I could never understand how the producers of the US version of the show could watch the UK version and still do what they did to it.
Old 01-27-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Pssst: They are airing new episodes of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBCA Thursday nights at 8 central. This is the original UK/good version. First episode was last week but is being rerun before this week's.
Are these "Costa del Nightmares"... The first one being Mayfair Restaurante in Spain?
Old 01-27-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Really? I remember reading a while ago that he had abandoned the BBC version for the more-lucrative, sledgehammer Fox one. As ambivalent as I am about Ramsey, I would definitely watch the British version of K.N.
I remember the Spanish restaurant, where the dog was crapping on the patio. I thought perhaps the best episode was the very last one, in Paris, with that bitch who was running a restaurant into the ground with Daddy's money, and she walked out on Ramsey when he confronted her about her lack of dedication. I also liked the episode with Alan Love and his fish -'n'-chips place in Bristol or Brixton.
Old 01-27-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meathead
Are these "Costa del Nightmares"... The first one being Mayfair Restaurante in Spain?
Yes. I think the next one is in France, then another in Spain again.
Old 01-27-15, 04:28 PM
Banned

I wish he still did the F word. What an awesome show