Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New UFO cd releases!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New UFO cd releases!

Old 01-23-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
New UFO cd releases!

From Amazon No Heavy Petting, Force it, Phonomenon on the Caroline label with extra tracks included. Due out Feb 12. I'm going to try a couple. ( No Heavy Petting & Phonomeon ) I've been waiting for No Heavy Petting for a long time.
Old 01-23-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOE29
From Amazon No Heavy Petting, Force it, Phenomenon on the Caroline label with extra tracks included. Due out Feb 12. I'm going to try a couple. ( No Heavy Petting & Phenomenon ) I've been waiting for No Heavy Petting for a long time.
Yeah, I'll definitely be getting No Heavy Petting, too, as it's the only one from the Schenker era I don't have yet. I almost just bought a Japanese pressing, too, but then saw that this version was coming out so I decided to hold off.

What sucks, is that I only recently got the other two (like a month ago), and had I realized at the time that these new re-issues were coming out, I would have just waited to buy them. Hell, I still might anyway, just for the bonus tracks. Also, because I got the others so cheap anyway, and I see I can pick up these new ones for not too much more, it'll probably be worth the double dip.

P.S. - oh, and CD Universe has them listed for a buck cheaper.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 01-23-08 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 07:08 PM

I already have No Heavy Petting and Phenomenon on cd but they are the American versions. So this will be an pleasurable upgrade. With the release of these cd's I can only hope for Mechanix and The Wild The Willing and the Innocent to come out in the near future.
Old 01-24-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
No Heavy Petting and Force It are two of their best....

I will likely upgrade (the old Chrysalis CD's sounded pretty thin).
Old 02-17-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, did anyone else pick these up yet last week? Must say, I'm pretty impressed.

The sound quality is definitely a step up over the "Classic Rock Series" re-masters, and a BIG improvement over the original Chrysalis releases from back in the day. Most of the bonus material is well done, too - and having never heard any of it prior, was cool, as well.

The booklets/artwork are also nicely done, with full essays about each album, press clippings and photos. I also like how they put a small picture of the album cover at the top of the CD spine, and, that they used the old lime green and pink Chrysalis logo label (just like on the original vinyl copies) for the CD's. Nice touch.

I hope these end up selling well, as I'd sincerely love to get the rest of the catalog (especially the remaining Schenker albums) with this lavish treatment.
Old 02-17-08, 08:06 PM

I orderd No Heavy Petting and Phoenomon last week from Amazon but I haven't recieved them yet. Hopefully they will come on Tuesday.
You say the sound quality for Force it is better than the classic rock series?
I deliberately did not include Force it in my order because I was happy with the classic rock series version of this.
If this version is better than that I may have to think about getting Force it also. I also have a friend who is interested in these cd's, if they are as good as you say they are, I sure will tell him to buy them also. Maybe I could get him to take my old Force it cd off of my hands too.

Last edited by JOE29; 02-17-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You say the sound quality for Force it is better than the classic rock series? I deliberately did not include Force it in my order because I was happy with the classic rock series version of this.
I did a side by side comparison, and the most noticeable difference, especially as far as I'm concerned, is in the bottom end and low midrange. There's much more punch to the new re-masters, and you can really distinguish the bass - which on the CRS versions is fairly flat.

That's the biggest problem I've always encountered with albums that haven't been re-mastered, or at least, not re-mastered well. They are lacking that crucial bottom end, particularly in the sound of the rhythm section. Bass & drums end up sounding more like a hollow, dull 'thawp', rather than a solid, resounding 'thump'.

Lastly, to me at least, when one of the features of your band is a highly influential bass player, it's even more important that you can truly hear what he's doing.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 02-18-08 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 02:44 PM

They came in the mail yesterday and they are great. They sound really good. One funny thing though, On the No Heavy Petting cd I did not notice it the first time I looked at the cd but they put the Force it label on the No heavy petting cd. Just wondering if that happend to you. It's not a big deal, just wanted to know if your cd is like that too.
Old 02-20-08, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it said UTFO LOL!!!
Old 02-20-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They came in the mail yesterday and they are great. They sound really good. One funny thing though, On the No Heavy Petting cd I did not notice it the first time I looked at the cd but they put the Force it label on the No heavy petting cd. Just wondering if that happend to you. It's not a big deal, just wanted to know if your cd is like that too.
Wow, didn't even notice that either - but yes, now that I checked I see mine's the same way.