Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MPAA Admits College Pirate Study Was Wrong

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the imdb.com:

The Motion Picture Association of America has acknowledged that a study that it commissioned in 2005 -- that concluded that widespread illegal downloading of movies on college campuses was responsible for billions of dollars in losses -- was wrong. The study had claimed that students with access to high-speed Internet connections in college dorms were to blame for 44 percent of the industry's domestic losses from online pirating. However, on Tuesday, the MPAA admitted that it got the figure wrong because of "human error" and that it was more like 15 percent. But Mark Luker, vice president of Educause, told the Associated Press Tuesday that the study did not take into account the fact that 80 percent of college students live off campus. He figured that campus networks may be responsible for only 3 percent of illegal downloads. The industry's earlier figure, he maintained, was intended to show that if college campuses got tough on the issue of illegal downloads, "it would make a tremendous difference in the business of the motion picture industry." He said that the new figures show that campus action would "have only a small impact." For its part, the MPAA said Tuesday, "We take this error very seriously and have taken strong and immediate action to both investigate the root cause of this problem as well as substantiate the accuracy of the latest report."
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2008-01-23/

This is no surprise to me since I always thought the MPAA has dubious studies with wack results.
Old 01-23-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if "Whoops!" is proper word to use in this instance.
Old 01-23-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
87% of all statistics are made up.