DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The truth about RROD

I found this interesting;
http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...h_failures.php
Old 01-23-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a pretty interesting read. I have had my 360 for 1.25 years, and its still going strong thankfully...
Old 01-24-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good read, thanks for posting that.
Old 01-24-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks... i already read from Zekeburger's post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....41#post8449341

They should release this kind of info a lot earlier...
Old 01-24-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Thanks to OP for the post. This pretty much guarantees I will never buy a 360 again (sold my first before it bricked, which it did).

The last thing I need is to get a Falcon, have it break, and get a Xenon back for it. Fuck that shit.
Old 01-24-08, 10:41 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The funny thing is I have had my 360 since launch and the only problem I've had is the very occasional freeze during like 2 games and my mass effect disc gets scuffed after excessive play. Never had a red ring or something that caused the system to all around crash.

The PS3, however, I bought one some time after launch, got it home, hooked it up, and it was dead out of the box (wouldn't take discs) so I had to return it and wait for another. My original launch PS2 still runs perfectly though!
Old 01-24-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Thanks to OP for the post. This pretty much guarantees I will never buy a 360 again (sold my first before it bricked, which it did).

The last thing I need is to get a Falcon, have it break, and get a Xenon back for it. Fuck that shit.

LOL, that's the worse thing it can happen to some new X360 owners, even says so by the insider... The new defective rate is about 10%, which according to the insider, still a bad number (totally agree).

I never liked the X360 hardware-wise, but enjoying few games here and there. For newer games, i tend to buy the PS3 version over the X360 (e.g. DMC 4). The X360 is a good system i give you that, but it has a bad vibe to it. I just learned that another reason why the Japanese are not big on the X360 b/c they have motion sickness problems :P (this month's EGM, in the Mario Galaxy interview article). While it's not a big problem for me, but i can't play FPS games for too long (an hour maybe?), otherwise, i'm gonna throw up (kinda give up on MP4C Wii b/c of that, damn jumping). Anyway, OT...

IMO, the RRoD problem has to be fixed for good to give the X360 a good name. I remember someone replied to me with "Oh, i c, your X360 got aids." When i was talking about my RRoD problem over e-mail. I was a bit annoyed by it, but what can i say?

Now, back to the Live problem occurred in December... M$ said that there was a surge of number of Live users and thus created the whole mess... Okay, i buy that and personally, i don't care, since i'm no big fan of on-line play (not to mention you have to pay for it). Selfish, i know, but hey... So, with this SURGE of new X360 owners, what are we looking at? 10% defective rate? That's still a lot M$!
Old 01-24-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
The funny thing is I have had my 360 since launch and the only problem I've had is the very occasional freeze during like 2 games and my mass effect disc gets scuffed after excessive play. Never had a red ring or something that caused the system to all around crash.

The PS3, however, I bought one some time after launch, got it home, hooked it up, and it was dead out of the box (wouldn't take discs) so I had to return it and wait for another. My original launch PS2 still runs perfectly though!
You got a lucky X360 then The article says that if your X360 haven't crap out yet, then chances are you're good to go for a long time.
Old 01-24-08, 02:31 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

MS sucks i know i know. But id rather play good games on a replaceable system than bad games on a perfect one.
Old 01-24-08, 03:24 PM

LOL !!!!!WTF!!!!!!

Pretty funny Save Ferris!

Yes, After 2yrs and 2 months my 360 died. This didn't make me go out an get a PS3(The first party games are still weak) The 360 software is just too strong. Xbox live while there were problem last month, the time before that everything has been sweet.
This doesn't mean I am giving MS a break on this problem, I want hold them totally accountable.

BTW
I am not a XBox Fan boy, just a consumer who know what he likes. Once the PS3 w/BC comes down to $299 am so on that bitch.
Old 01-24-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
LOL, that's the worse thing it can happen to some new X360 owners, even says so by the insider... The new defective rate is about 10%, which according to the insider, still a bad number (totally agree).

I never liked the X360 hardware-wise, but enjoying few games here and there. For newer games, i tend to buy the PS3 version over the X360 (e.g. DMC 4). The X360 is a good system i give you that, but it has a bad vibe to it. I just learned that another reason why the Japanese are not big on the X360 b/c they have motion sickness problems :P (this month's EGM, in the Mario Galaxy interview article). While it's not a big problem for me, but i can't play FPS games for too long (an hour maybe?), otherwise, i'm gonna throw up (kinda give up on MP4C Wii b/c of that, damn jumping). Anyway, OT...

IMO, the RRoD problem has to be fixed for good to give the X360 a good name. I remember someone replied to me with "Oh, i c, your X360 got aids." When i was talking about my RRoD problem over e-mail. I was a bit annoyed by it, but what can i say?

Now, back to the Live problem occurred in December... M$ said that there was a surge of number of Live users and thus created the whole mess... Okay, i buy that and personally, i don't care, since i'm no big fan of on-line play (not to mention you have to pay for it). Selfish, i know, but hey... So, with this SURGE of new X360 owners, what are we looking at? 10% defective rate? That's still a lot M$!
Ah, Ocelot, I knew we'd see you here eventually...
Old 01-24-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my launch 360 is still chugging along - i bought an extended warranty within a year of purchase (right before they extended the RRoD warranty to 3 years). my 360 is covered for anything until late 2009 - at which time, i am sure it will die.
Old 01-24-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
MS sucks i know i know. But id rather play good games on a replaceable system than bad games on a perfect one.
See I got the best of both worlds. I'm playing good games (COD4, Rock Band, GHIII, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk, etc) on a great system. Is that too much to ask of these companies?
Old 01-24-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The worst part of all this is them sending back repaired ones, it just continues the cycle.
Old 01-24-08, 11:38 PM
Banned

The funny thing for me has been that almost every Gamestop, Toys R' Us, Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart and CompUSA has a defective 360 as the test/display unit. I have never been able to test a 360 at a store here in the island because all of them seem to have the RROD.
Old 01-25-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
The funny thing for me has been that almost every Gamestop, Toys R' Us, Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart and CompUSA has a defective 360 as the test/display unit. I have never been able to test a 360 at a store here in the island because all of them seem to have the RROD.
I'm pretty sure running it for hours and hours every day and keeping it enclosed in a plastic casing isn't helping the overheating problems...
Old 01-25-08, 05:35 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Question about sending it in for repairs and such... what do you do with the hard drive? When mine craps out am I screwed because I don't remember my log in information for my Xbox Live account and such? Or can you remove the HD prior to shipping it in?
Old 01-25-08, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You remove the HD and just ship them the box.
Old 01-25-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ah, Ocelot, I knew we'd see you here eventually...

correction, i'll retract all of the M$ i used... replace with MS. And for all the Sony's i used, i'll gladly replace them with $ony. They are both after my money, so i don't favor one or another. The only thing i'm concerned is, the quality of their products, the hardware.

Now, don't start with me with the software lectures... I'm on the other fence. Curse me all you want, but i don't give a damn. To me, software is always second, that's right, not important as hardware. Okay, skip the old news too... Not that i'm not interested, they have been mentioned numerous time. If $ony's P$3 is a failure for gaming, then let it be. I don't have anything against that. If MS wants my "respect" (okay, fine, it's meaningless), fix the RRoD problem, thanks.
Old 01-25-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandango
The worst part of all this is them sending back repaired ones, it just continues the cycle.
I wonder: Should I just sell my current one (a repaired/"refurbished" one I got after my first one went RROD) @ Gamestop and then buy a new "Elite"? I'm getting a new TV soon and will need the HDMI output, but will my chances of getting the RROD go down w/getting a newer model? (Repaired one is 05/06).
Old 01-25-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well according to the article the failure rate on new models is around 10%, I guess that's better than 30%.