Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Film Posters thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Film Posters thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Film Posters thread

Is anyone here into film posters? What are some sites which may have foreign / classic posters? What are some of your favorites? I know Polish posters take creative a fine art approach to the format, and the classic Saul Bass work with Hitchcock is iconic... modern ones tend to be ugly but occasionally jems pop up.

Also, if I kept a poster in its tube for a while, is that bad for it? Or is it better to just have them framed and stored away if not ready for immediate use?
Old 01-21-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Though I don't go for vintage or valuable ones, my wife and I decided to put movie posters up in our basement. But the rule was that it had to be posters that were either classics or visually interesting to us (so no "stack of heads + movie title" kinds) - going for more artistic endeavors.

Currently, we have "The Two Towers", "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Superman Returns", and "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Last edited by Draven; 01-21-08 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I only have two, Run Lola Run (with a Ketchup ad in a tiny square which makes me laugh everytime I see it) and City of Lost Children.

Replace the couch with two oversized bean bags and my setup is almost identicle to Draven's haha. (Alright that's a lie, but there are some similarities there.)
Old 01-21-08, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinoart.net is a great site for Polish posters. I bought posters for Alien, Aliens, and Raiders of the Lost Ark from them. I love polish posters.

Cinemasterpieces.com is a great sight for vintage posters. Very honest grading.

I love one-sheets. I used to collect them from many different movies. But now I only collect them from the Alien and Indiana Jones films. I guess I don't collect them anymore, since I finished the collections. My only rule is that they have to be rolled in nm to m conition. Took awhile and a chunk of change to obtain the ALIEN teaser rolled in mint condition.

I know that technically, a factory folded one-sheet can be considered to be in mint condition (if it has never been hung, ripped, etc) but I consider the factory folds to be a defect and an eye sore.

Depending on the type of tube you keep them in, the tube could damage them. Some tubes have acid that is detrimental over time.

I store them in 4mil mylar sleeves. 2 to a sleeve with a acid free foam core between them. That can get a bit pricey though, since the mylar sheets run around $10 a piece.

I currently only have two posters framed. The ALIEN teaser and regular one-sheet. I used UV resistant glass instead of UV plexiglass because glass resists scratches and scuffs better than plexiglass. It is risky though because if one were to fall and the glass shatters, bye bye poster.
Old 01-21-08, 06:03 PM
Banned

Draven, does the glare off of those posters distract you while watching movies? I've thought about framing some more of my collection and hanging them in the line of sight, but I am not sure if they would be distracting or not.
Old 01-21-08, 08:15 PM

I like the controversial ones or for controversial movies, like the original Full Metal Jacket (pulled for "In Vietnam, the wind doesn't blow, it sucks", Lifeforce had a nude woman painted on the cover and was pulled, Clockwork Orange. Also, like them by artist, like Frazetta's posters from the older days.

Last edited by H8nXTC; 01-21-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have 27 x 40's of The Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, and (my prized one) Miller's Crossing. I have 11 x 17 prints of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Once Upon a Time in the West, Taxi Driver, and JFK, plus a few 8x10 production stills from the 80's and 90's on my wall.

I might replace the Shawshank and Goodfellas ones for more obscure stuff in the near future.
Old 01-21-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Draven, does the glare off of those posters distract you while watching movies? I've thought about framing some more of my collection and hanging them in the line of sight, but I am not sure if they would be distracting or not.
You know, it only bothers me when I look directly at the posters. I am pretty used to it at this point, so it's fine.
Old 01-21-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 smaller 11 x 17 prints hanging up in my cube at work. I don't bother buying authentic I'd rather have an inexpensive replica. It's not like it's a Van Gogh or anything.
Old 01-21-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Though I don't go for vintage or valuable ones, my wife and I decided to put movie posters up in our basement. But the rule was that it had to be posters that were either classics or visually interesting to us (so no "stack of heads + movie title" kinds) - going for more artistic endeavors.

Currently, we have "The Two Towers", "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Superman Returns", and "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

I ran across the poster for the Rocketeer. Talk about art. I bought it, but realize its a mini-poster.

Old 01-21-08, 10:14 PM

Probably Dave Stevens, beautiful work he does.
Old 01-21-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two posters currently hanging up in my bedroom (living room is off limits).

Aliens "This Time It's War"

An original (not a reprint) double sided "Back to the Future 2" poster.

Both are 27x40.

"The one that got away" I remember seeing an original Chinese poster for the movie "Iron Monkey" (w/ Donnie Yen). Chinese characters down the right side and a close up of the Iron Monkey. Never did see another one like it on the 'net.
Old 01-22-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I have about 15-20 full size posters...some various smaller ones... I only have two up at a time due to space (movie memorabilia is limited to my office - my own rule). But I'll switch em out every so often - looking forward to getting the final Indy4 poster..might get the Rambo one as well.

This is a good site for looking at new/old posters by year. They update with new ones pretty often also.

http://www.impawards.com/
Old 01-22-08, 12:40 AM

I mainly collect 70's - 80's horror film posters. I also have a ton of posters for newer movies as my best friend is the manager at the local movie theater.

Some of my classic posters include;

Weird Science
The Empire Strikes Back
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: The Dream Warriors
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (Advanced teaser poster)
Happy Birthday To Me
The Dead Zone
An American Werewolf in London
Scanners
7 Doors of Death (Fulci's The Beyond)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
I Spit On Your Grave

The last 3 are all tied for my favorite. All of them are original folded 27 x 41 one sheets. I just need frames for them all lol.

I also have some cool 27 x 40 reprints like Forbiddon Planet and King Kong (1933).
Old 01-22-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the following just because I think they are some of the best looking movie posters and I love photomosaics like the truman show poster.

Old 01-22-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is my favorite movie poster that I own. I still have not found a frame that fits it. I have had it in a tube for years and it is still in pristine condition.

Old 01-22-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My prized poster is a Star Trek 2 poster signed by James Doohan.
Old 01-22-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I ran across the poster for the Rocketeer. Talk about art. I bought it, but realize its a mini-poster.

A local restaurant that just closed has the full size version of that (it's wider, though). The thing is huge. I need to track down the owner, see if it's for sale.
Old 01-22-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive got about 30 autographed posters. The ones I have currently display are:

Fight Club - Medusa Italy version - autographed by Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf, Jared Leto & David Fincher

Seven - signed by Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, Gwyneth Paltrow, R.Lee Ermey

The Insider - signed by Al Pacino, Russell Crowe, Debi Mazar, Michael Mann

Girl, Interrupted. - signed by Winona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, Jared Leto, Brittney Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg

The People v. Larry Flint - signed by Woody Harrelson, Courtney Love, Edward Norton, Larry Flynt
Old 01-22-08, 04:21 PM

Loved the Taxi Driver poster. 50's/60's B movie posters are also great to collect.

Last edited by mikelowry; 01-23-08 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I think that is most of mine. (I have a re-release "It's A Wonderful Life", A Matrix 2 Lenticular Teaser and a DS original "Nightmare Before Christmas" too)

Edited to add: The tough ones to find were Dracula Teaser, TNBC, and the DS Swingers one.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 01-22-08 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I collect the 11x17" posters, mostly because they look great despite being smaller than normal posters (and cheaper too, especially for the older ones). Plus, I can swap these smaller posters in and out of frames much easier than bigger ones.

Here's a few of my favorites that I have (click to embiggen):

And I just ordered The Rocketeer one last night; thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-22-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Kinoart.net is a great site for Polish posters. I bought posters for Alien, Aliens, and Raiders of the Lost Ark from them. I love polish posters.
Polish film posters are phenominal, and I'd probably own quite a few of them if they weren't so expensive. I would love to have this Walkuski:

Old 01-23-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have all the superman movie posters in 27 by 40 and i got myself a smaller rounders poster and Cinderella and The Little Mermaid for my girlfriend. got her the wicked one too but its a play.
Old 01-23-08, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
That is classy and neat!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.