DVD Talk
NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

dhmac
01-21-08, 11:34 AM
This is a thread for anyone with NetFlix for recommending titles (movies, documentaries, or TV shows) available in NetFlix's online streaming "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" feature, which is now unlimited for members with an unlimited rentals account. Given the "limited" selection of titles available in the online viewing area, it can be tough to find worthy ones to watch, so the hope is people will use this thread for recommending some "diamonds in the rough" that they have found.

(Note: I put this thread here in the "DVD Talk" subforum because NetFlix is mostly known as a DVD rental site and it has both movies and TV offerings in its online streaming area, so this subforum made more sense than either "Movie Talk" or "TV Talk" for this thread.)

dhmac
01-21-08, 12:29 PM
I'll recommend Long Weekend (1979), an Australian film that's definitely "of its time" but is interesting in the depiction of how out of place urban people are in a natural environment.

McHawkson
01-21-08, 12:45 PM
(Note: I put this thread here in the "DVD Talk" subforum because NetFlix is mostly known as a DVD rental site and it has both movies and TV offerings in its online streaming area, so this subforum made more sense than either "Movie Talk" or "TV Talk" for this thread.)

Well, yes, Netflix is known as DVD rental - however, the Watch Now feature are streaming, its much different from DVD itself. IMO, Movie Talk/TV Talk are probably the best place for this kind.

dhmac
01-21-08, 12:51 PM
Well, yes, Netflix is known as DVD rental - however, the Watch Now feature are streaming, its much different from DVD itself. IMO, Movie Talk/TV Talk are probably the best place for this kind.
But the thread can only go in one subforum (here or Movie or TV), so there's the rub.

majorjoe23
01-21-08, 01:19 PM
I recommend the Film Crew releases on there if you are a Mystery Science Theater fan.

McHawkson
01-21-08, 01:39 PM
But the thread can only go in one subforum (here or Movie or TV), so there's the rub.

Yeah, we can leave it to Moderators to decide. :)

nemein
01-21-08, 02:46 PM

<i>Mod note:
Actually I think the Reviews/Recommendations forum makes the most sense. Since noone else thought of it though I'm not sure how many people actually know about it ;)</i>

WRT answering the question personally I've found the best use of it so far to be old TV shows, I went through most of Hercules and Xena (actually still working on this), next up is Dexter and Mindfreak. What I really hope they do, now that they removed time limits, is allow the profiles to access the "Watch now" feature (currently they don't have that ability). This would mean you can create a "watch now" queue and be able to keep it separate from your regular queue. As it stands I have a "watch now" profile, but I have to login to that to see what's on there, then login to my main account (actually I usually just use different browsers) and actually watch it, then go back to the profile and delete it. Kind of cumbersome but it works...

Chew
01-21-08, 03:05 PM
Until there's some way to get Netflix streaming on my TiVo and/or TV and not just my computer monitor, I doubt I'll ever use it. :(

Numanoid
01-21-08, 10:43 PM
Until there's some way to get Netflix streaming on my TiVo and/or TV and not just my computer monitor, I doubt I'll ever use it. :(HTPC. It's the only way to fly.

Numanoid
01-21-08, 10:45 PM
Oh, and I watched the classic Marilyn Monroe movie The Seven Year Itch (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048605/) on Watch Now the other day. Good fun.

coop22
01-22-08, 01:43 AM
No end in sight is a good documentary about the war in Iraq. For those who haven't seen it, I recommend Dexter (showtime tv show)...

I have also used this new feature to check out things I never would have rented, such as educational videos...

dhmac
01-23-08, 08:31 PM
No end in sight is a good documentary about the war in Iraq.
I second that, No End In Sight is the best documentary I've seen on the Iraq War. Well-worth seeking out.

Cosmic Bus
01-24-08, 10:12 PM
I'll recommend Long Weekend (1979), an Australian film that's definitely "of its time" but is interesting in the depiction of how out of place urban people are in a natural environment.

I don't have Netflix anymore, but I'll second this great movie! And, of course, what better time to watch it since Hollywood is remaking it... -ohbfrank-

dhmac
01-26-08, 10:16 AM
There are some great concert documentaries on NetFlix's Watch Now. These are the ones I've seen so far:

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense - Jonathan Demme's great concert film starring the Talking Heads. All music, no talking, and superbly shot.

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same - the original version, but still a nice "quick fix" until the new Hi-Def editions finally gets released to disc.

Cream: Farewell Concert - this is their original farewell concert in 1970, not the reunion one 30 years later, so they are in their prime. However this is in the old-fashioned music documentary style in which too much time is devoted to talking, not enough is devoted to the music

Festival Express - kind of like "'Woodstock' on a Train", this 1970 tour featured the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and The Band and was only a few month's before Joplin's death.

LoudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies - this is about the Pixies reunion of the past few years.

Storefront Hitchcock - Jonathan Demme's return to music documentary, this time featuring Robyn Hitchcock.

porieux
01-27-08, 09:39 AM
I found The Cars video to be pretty amusing.

OutRun2
01-29-08, 01:34 PM
when do you suspect Netflix' online catalog will catch up to its dvd rental catalog?

dhmac
01-29-08, 04:40 PM
when do you suspect Netflix' online catalog will catch up to its dvd rental catalog?
Due to the additional rights issues involved for online viewing, I don't think it ever will match the disc rental selection.

Drexl
01-30-08, 02:10 AM
Amazing Stories: Season 2 is on there.

dhmac
01-31-08, 05:44 PM
I just noticed that the nature documentary Blue Planet: Seas of Life has two episodes on there ("Tidal Seas" / "Coasts"). This documentary series is from the same group who made Planet Earth and - dare I say - I think this previous documentary is even a bit better than that great one. "Watch Now" doesn't have the whole thing, but these two episodes are a good way to check it out first.

Ghostface180
02-02-08, 04:36 PM
The Ten

dhmac
02-04-08, 01:33 PM
Another great documentary I ran across on Watch Now:

Maxed Out

(Here's the DVD Talk review of this documentary (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28471))

dhmac
02-08-08, 12:33 PM
Grindhouse: Death Proof and Grindhouse: Planet Terror just were added to Watch Now :thumbsup:

kd0105
02-12-08, 01:11 AM
Keep the recommendations coming.

I signed up for Netflix over the weekend again (the 3rd time) and I'd like to know what movies on the instant view feature are worth the watch.

coop22
02-15-08, 01:05 PM
A few new seasons of Showtime series are now available, including The L word and Brotherhood

I recommend both of these

I haven't watched the Penn and Teller series, but that is now available too...

cornyt
02-15-08, 01:37 PM
I've always meant to watch "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and "Shampoo."

Baron Of Hell
02-15-08, 06:00 PM
ahhh good show people. Now that I have increase my internet speed this thing is now useful to me.

mike2
02-15-08, 06:51 PM
Is it just me or can you not go back/pause if you missed a segment of the movie?? Maybe my connection timed out but It looked like I had to watch the movie over again.

Drexl
02-18-08, 01:38 PM
Has anyone had trouble with this lately? I went to watch something, and I get the page to install the player. I thought this was just an update, so I installed it, and nothing happens. If I go back and select something else (or the same movie), I get the install page again. I've installed it several times with no luck.

coop22
02-18-08, 02:01 PM
you can go back and rewind or pause by just sliding the curser over the play indicator and dragging it backward - it is not exact and one of the more annoying things about watching these streaming videos...

drexl - not sure if you had the same problem as me, but make sure you are following all of the specs that are listed on the site - for example, it does not work with firefox (only with internet expolorer)....

Drexl
02-18-08, 02:48 PM
Okay, I tried going to the site with the 32-bit version of IE (I was using the 64-bit edition before, in 64-bit Vista) and it worked. I'm not sure why that made a difference, when it worked before, but that doesn't really matter now.

BTW, check out Film Geek. :)

dhmac
02-20-08, 07:20 PM
If you like the ex-MST3K Film Crew and their riffed movies,

Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark is on Watch Now

RichC2
02-20-08, 10:36 PM
Dexter Season 1
30 Rock season 1
The Office season 2
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - Not perfect but very enjoyable if you're a fan of the Batman franchise.
Jim Gaffigan: Beyond the Pale - Hooootttt poccckkkeeets (was that special? not sure...)

Most of these are foreign:

The City of Lost Children (trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYG9cXTSds)) if you haven't already seen it. (shown Subtitled) Can't really explain it, just watch it.

La Vie en Rose is current and apparently quite good (haven't seen it yet), best actress oscar nom. (shown Subtitled, I think..) Biopic.

The Sea Inside - Javier Bardem. 'nuff said :)

Perfect Blue Hitchcock inspired anime horror mystery about a singer and her obsessed fan. Dubbed.

Night Watch/Day Watch - I didn't care for the series, but I know many did, US cuts (imo they're fine) with cool animated subtitles for both. Russian supernatural/scifi action/adventure flicks.

Pan's Labyrinth - Great flick. Subtitled.

Paris, Je T'aime - A collection of five-minute films about the City of Lights brings Paris to life with a unique patchwork of 20 stories. Numerous writers, directors and actors lend their distinctive vision to the project, employing a wide variety of styles and subject matter. Participants include Gérard Depardieu, Gus Van Sant, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Wes Craven, Marianne Faithfull, Steve Buscemi, Juliette Binoche, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gena Rowlands and many others.

The Beat That My Heart Skipped - remake of Fingers, been meaning to watch it for some time.

Kontroll - Hear it's great, haven't seen it yet.

Last Life in the Universe - Slow and meditative, solid flick.

Joint Security Area - put Park Chan-Wook (Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady/Mr. Vengeance) on the map for me. Murder whodunit on the South/North Korean border.

Seom (The Isle) - (Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmb5220zxQA)) Ki-duk Kim flick (3-Iron, Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring), trailer always attracted me to it (for years now) have yet to actually watch it.

13 Tzameti - A dark little movie about luck based around a multiplayer game of Russian roulette.

Reconstruction - (Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAaWPd3JMew)) Never saw but always wanted to, so figured I'd make it as a noteable :)

Chaos - A solid kidnapping/caper flick by Hideo Nakata (Ringu, Dark Water).

Three... Extremes - (trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lnf01j7kw)) 3 horror films by 3 asian directors. I liked 2 a great deal, the other was alright but felt out of place. Beautifully shot considering the content.

gar0u
02-21-08, 03:17 PM
"Film Geek" should make everyone on the forum laugh.

If you're up for a *very* strange B-movie... "A Boy and His Dog" starring a very young Don Johnson.

Dobby
02-21-08, 06:41 PM
Very Good Thread idea!

I second the "Festival Express" documentary.

cbearnm
02-24-08, 09:17 PM
For me, the best use of it is for old TV shows. You don't notice the loss of resolution and Netflix has actually developed a pretty good system to go from episode to episode. I can watch one or two 30 minutes shows, but to watch a feature length movie on the computer just gets annoying to me.

The BBC shows are some of my favorites for this format.

Yes, Prime Minister and Manchild are very watch-able.

Comedy concerts are also good.

dhmac
02-26-08, 08:05 PM
La Vie en Rose (aka "La Mome") which just won the Best Actress Oscar for Marion Cotillard is on Watch Now

missingtoof
02-26-08, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna have to check out the Jim Gaffigan special and La Vie En Rose. I've seen the little "Watch It Now" button in my queue, but never had the urge to try it out.

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but how's the picture quality? Not expecting Quicktime HD, but is it along the same lines as the PQ on some of the standard def quicktime trailers?

dhmac
02-26-08, 09:44 PM
Not to be nitpicky or anything, but how's the picture quality? Not expecting Quicktime HD, but is it along the same lines as the PQ on some of the standard def quicktime trailers?
Because it's streaming, the PQ depends on how fast the Internet connection is. A connection over 2.2 Mbps is roughly equivalent to online SD trailers. A slower connection and PQ takes a hit, but is still vastly better than the PQ available at online video websites (like YouTube). The only real drawback IMO is NetFlix's software requires IE to work (it's the only thing I even use IE for anymore).

missingtoof
02-26-08, 09:56 PM
Thanks. Sounds like a great idea, especially with a lot of newer releases, but if it means reinstalling IE on my system, I guess I'll just get the DVD itself.

Favoring Firefox,
mt

:D

dhmac
02-27-08, 06:14 PM
Thanks. Sounds like a great idea, especially with a lot of newer releases, but if it means reinstalling IE on my system, I guess I'll just get the DVD itself.

Favoring Firefox

Me too, so I use Firefox for everything else but use IE for just this. It's worth it to watch movies for free.

Anubis2005X
02-29-08, 02:15 AM
Grindhouse: Death Proof and Grindhouse: Planet Terror just were added to Watch Now :thumbsup:

Are these still available? I searched for them, but they're not showing up under Watch Now...

Baron Of Hell
03-02-08, 01:27 AM

Favoring Firefox,
mt

:D

There is a plugin called IE View. You can use that to view pages that can only be viewed in IE. Not sure if it will work with netflix since that installer seems to have a lot going on with it but maybe.

dhmac
03-02-08, 11:41 AM
Are these still available? I searched for them, but they're not showing up under Watch Now...
Wow, those "Grindhouse" features didn't last long! I've seen stuff drop out of "Watch Now" before (apparently NetFlix only gets the streaming rights for limited amounts of time), but not as quickly as these did so soon after being added.

dhmac
03-02-08, 11:48 AM
The King of Kong (A Fistful of Quarters) is now on "Watch Now"

Very enjoyable documentary :thumbsup:

dhmac
03-31-08, 07:09 PM
I notice that David Lynch's most recent opus Inland Empire is available on Watch Now - I'll need to check that one out!

starseed1981
04-04-08, 09:50 AM
King of Kong!!!

An4h0ny
04-04-08, 05:06 PM
In The Realms Of The Unreal
Flaming Lips: Fearless Freaks
Jeremiah: s1
Friday Night Lights: s1
Dexter
The Sand Pebbles
and as mentioned, the Pixies documentary

i freaking love watch it now

makes up for the currently hard to secure/slow to arrive BSG discs

dhmac
05-28-08, 04:59 PM
The funny What Would Jesus Buy? is now in Watch Instantly (Watch Now)

Watch Rev. Billy preach against the Shopocalypse!

Amen!!!

Bateman
06-09-08, 03:10 AM
The King of Kong (A Fistful of Quarters) is now on "Watch Now"

Very enjoyable documentary :thumbsup:

I watched this after checking out this thread and very much enjoyed it. Thanks.

dhmac
06-25-08, 08:42 PM
In case anyone is curious about seeing just how bad the Day of the Dead remake is, it's now available on Watch Instantly at NetFlix.

zerotl
06-27-08, 11:25 PM
Great thread, I've been watching weeds so far and it's been good

Cosmic Bus
06-29-08, 11:06 AM
John Flynn's great Rolling Thunder (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Rolling_Thunder/70092590?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1637114260_0_0) is available to watch now. Never been released on DVD, and definitely worth seeing!

Baron Of Hell
06-30-08, 11:19 AM
A old movie called "Man from Earth" is up. Its about a guy that says he has lived for hundreds of year. A group of his friends are trying to prove or disprove what he is saying. Candyman and the doctor from enterprise are in it. Kind of funny watch the borg attack the undead. hmmm might have been on drugs for that part.

JackBurton
06-30-08, 02:09 PM
John Flynn's great Rolling Thunder (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Rolling_Thunder/70092590?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1637114260_0_0) is available to watch now. Never been released on DVD, and definitely worth seeing!
Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Excellent thread idea btw OP. I've found sifting through the "watch it now" selection on netflix to be a little tedious.

dhmac
07-03-08, 09:48 PM
David Lynch's first film Eraserhead is available on Watch Instantly at NetFlix. If you've never seen it, this is a good way to check it out.

taa455
07-05-08, 12:02 AM
Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee classic)

The Orphanage

Nosferatu

Cosmic Bus
07-06-08, 01:06 AM
Matthew Saville's Noise (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Noise/70059660?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=767045048_1_0) is now available. An excellent Australian drama, and one of my favorite films from the past few years.

Dave C
07-07-08, 12:30 PM
I'm glad to find this thread. In the hopes of keeping it going I will add the list of items I've seen since I got Roku.

Really enjoyed-

King of Kong (well, I rented this but if it's available it would be my favorite of all the instant stuff)
Confessions of a Superhero
Little Dieter Needs to Fly-a great docuemntary on the guy Rescue Dawn was based on. If I had it to do over I'd wtch the movie 1st though. It was a mega spoiler for the movie.
Jesus Camp
Strangers on a Train

Worth a watch but nothing special-

Spellbound-got boring after a while
Interview with that Assassin-not bad

Really didn't like-
Open Bar-I like this kind of reality stuff but this one wasn't very good

Slumbering Fist
07-07-08, 02:43 PM
I recommend "Manda Bala" (Send a Bullet). It is an excellent non-liner, Errol Morris-ish doc about crime in Brazil. Eclectic, beautifully shot, very interesting.

Also, among their not on DVD titles, for 70's trash b-flick fans, is the justifiably forgotten "Golden Needles." Robert Clouse did many lame post-"Enter the Dragon" action flicks but this was the worst. Stars Joe Don Baker with a little- too little- Jim Kelly thrown into the mix. Worth it just for the fact that, a sign of the decade I guess, they try to sell a greasy-faced, swarthy Don Baker as a greasy-faced, swarthy action hero and sex symbol.

Also, in a similar vein, they had a nice letterbox copy of "Bronson Lee, Champion" the American edit and cheesy dub of the Tadashi Yamishita starring, Yukio Noda directed flick "The Karate." Actually the first part of a trilogy (the sequels were never Americanized or distributed here), its one of my most wanted old school martial flicks on DVD.

dhmac
07-07-08, 08:34 PM
There are a lot of Doctor Who episodes on Watch Instantly (Watch Now). It looks like all of "Series 1" of the relaunched show and then a lot of old episodes of the show (ex. the Tom Baker years and so on).

dhmac
07-07-08, 09:12 PM
Billy Bragg and Wilco: Man in the Sand (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/1831/man-in-the-sand/) about Woody Guthrie is on Watch Instantly / Watch Now. Well-worth seeing for any fan of Woody Guthrie's music.

dhmac
07-07-08, 11:04 PM
A number of Alfred Hitchcock films are available on "Watch Instantly" / "Watch Now" for online viewing:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) - Hitch's only pure comedy

Saboteur (1942)

Strangers on a Train (1951)

Dial M for Murder (1954)

The Trouble with Harry (1955) - a black comedy

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Vertigo (1958)

Psycho (1960)

The Birds (1963)

Marnie (1964)

Torn Curtain (1966)

Topaz (1969)

Frenzy (1972)

Family Plot (1976) - Hitch's final film

And, on top of all that, a number of episodes of the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" TV series are available for online viewing too!

GatorDeb
07-08-08, 04:53 AM
Dexter 1
Weeds 1, 2
Heroes 1, 2
The Office 1, 2, 3
30 Rock 1
Dead Like Me 1, 2
Quantum Leap 1, 2, 3, 4
Outer Limits 1
Sleeper Cell 1, 2
Coupling 1, 2, 3, 4
Murder, She Wrote 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Columbo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Outer Limits New 1
Penn & Teller 4, 5

dhmac
07-12-08, 10:02 PM
For anyone interested in seeing more Hellboy related stuff, both of the animated short features for it are on Watch Instantly / Watch Now (search for these two titles to find them):

Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms (2006)

Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (2007)

Chad
07-20-08, 04:51 PM
Cashback (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list.php?orderBy=Date&reviewType=All&searchText=Cashback)

Dave C
07-20-08, 06:53 PM
Up For Grabs

This documentary on the fight over Barry Bonds 73rd HR ball was fascinating. If you have any interest in baseball (or human nature, or legal stuff) it is a great take.

Super56K
09-06-08, 12:31 AM
Thought I'd bring this thread back...recently started up Netflix again with a free month thanks to the settlement. I was very pleased to see that the watch instantly feature was actually working on my slow connection. (weak, wireless broadband nets me 'basic' quality)

I've recently watched/have in my instant queue -

Heavy Metal in Baghdad (great doc)
Imagine: John Lennon
Cream: Classic in Concert
Dead Kennedy's - Early years Live
Lake of Fire

some others I came across -

Lilya 4-Ever
Spider Baby

dhmac
11-16-08, 12:16 AM
Resurrecting this one again.

Michael Moore's Slacker Uprising is now on "Watch Instantly" at NetFlix for anyone interested but who doesn't want to deal with the hassle of the free downloading of it.

dhmac
11-16-08, 08:54 AM
Listed as Grindhouse: Double Feature, NetFlix "Watch Instantly" has the actual theatrically released version of Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse movie of both feature films also with the fake trailers.

(For anyone who does not know the story on this, on DVD these were split apart as two separate releases - Planet Terror and Death Proof - and the fake trailers were relegated to Bonus Features status, so "Watch Instantly" is the one of the few ways to see Grindhouse again the way it was actually released theatrically).

JohnSlider
11-16-08, 11:45 AM
30 Rock and Lynch.

Any word on when this will be available on a Firefox browser?

William Fuld
11-17-08, 04:16 AM
The documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster", from this year, is worth watching.

dhmac
11-27-08, 11:35 AM
The comedy Superbad is available on Watch Instantly until Dec 3rd

dhmac
11-27-08, 06:57 PM
The thriller Next, loosely based on a Philip K. Dick story and starring Nick Cage, is on Watch Instantly until Dec 3rd

Tarantino
12-05-08, 05:40 PM
Last Action Hero is available to stream in widescreen, whereas most of the DVD's circulating are full screen.

= J

dhmac
12-18-08, 10:26 PM
Star Trek (TOS) - Season 1 is on Watch Instantly now

Tarantino
12-18-08, 11:00 PM
<b>Red</b> was also...okay...if you're in the mood for a 'lifetime' type of movie.

It stars Brian Cox.

= J

dhmac
12-24-08, 10:56 PM
P2, a good little thriller that happens to be set during Christmastime, is on Watch Instantly so this time of the year is a good time to watch it.

Tarantino
12-26-08, 01:41 AM
Check out <b>A Perfect World</b>, which I had never heard of...stars Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood (who also directs). Great movie.

= J

dhmac
12-26-08, 03:20 PM
The Coen Brothers' No Country for Old Men, winner of the Best Picture Oscar for 2007, is on Watch Instantly.

Baron Of Hell
12-26-08, 03:23 PM
I have to keep better track of this thread. They added a bunch of stuff I want to watch.

Ghostbuster
01-03-09, 01:40 PM
Listed as Grindhouse: Double Feature, NetFlix "Watch Instantly" has the actual theatrically released version of Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse movie of both feature films also with the fake trailers.

(For anyone who does not know the story on this, on DVD these were split apart as two separate releases - Planet Terror and Death Proof - and the fake trailers were relegated to Bonus Features status, so "Watch Instantly" is the one of the few ways to see Grindhouse again the way it was actually released theatrically).

I recommend Grindhouse, too. I saw it when it was playing in theaters, and I just watched it again last night.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Machete is the only fake trailer on a Region 1 DVD. It's on Planet Terror. The other fake trailers aren't included.

dhmac
01-24-09, 11:03 AM
Pixar's Ratatouille is now on Watch Instantly.

DVDsAreMyLIFE
01-24-09, 03:03 PM
The comedy Superbad is available on Watch Instantly until Dec 3rd

Superbad is back up, or maybe it was never taken off after Dec 3rd.

dhmac
01-25-09, 12:17 AM
Superbad is back up, or maybe it was never taken off after Dec 3rd.
Sometimes NetFlix gets an extension on the online rights to a particular movie and the expiration date is updated.

DVDsAreMyLIFE
01-25-09, 12:19 AM
Sometimes NetFlix gets an extension on the online rights to a particular movie and the expiration date is updated.

Ahh yea I kind of noticed that. Currently Superbad doesn't have an expiration date.

dhmac
01-25-09, 12:24 AM
Ahh yea I kind of noticed that. Currently Superbad doesn't have an expiration date.
I don't think NetFlix shows the expiration date on a particular movie until it's only a few weeks away. So it may possibly have one, but it's far enough out that it doesn't show up on the site yet.

DVDsAreMyLIFE
01-25-09, 12:27 AM
I don't think NetFlix shows the expiration date on a particular movie until it's only a few weeks away. So it may possibly have one, but it's far enough out that it doesn't show up on the site yet.

Interesting, but I guess that makes sense. Watching Them right now on instant watch, definitely worth checking out.

dhmac
02-15-09, 10:25 AM
Man on Wire, which is one of the "Best Documentary Film" nominees for the Academy Awards, is on "Watch Instantly"

JohnSlider
02-15-09, 02:10 PM
Bottle Shock is now on their HD list. Nothing spectacular, but it is a new release.

Tarantino
02-16-09, 04:16 AM
Last Action Hero is back up in widescreen.

= J

SoSpacey
02-17-09, 05:01 PM
Brooklyn Rules is a movie that I never would have seen had it not been for "watch instantly" and I am glad I did. Much better than I ever thought it would be. It had a million chances to take the cliche road and did not.

It is a coming of age drama set in the mob era 1980s in Brooklyn...it is NOT a mob movie.

I highly recommend it.

dhmac
02-22-09, 01:05 AM
Amazing Stories - Season 2 is available on Watch Instantly.

And episode #16 "Family Dog" is a must-see for animation fans because it's the 1st thing ever directed by Brad Bird (of "The Iron Giant", "The Incredibles", and "Ratatouille" fame).

dhmac
02-22-09, 01:42 PM
And now for something completely different, all 45 episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus are available on Watch Instantly.

Applejack
02-22-09, 05:15 PM
"The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film" was a pretty good doc on early 80's/late 70's slasher movies. If you are a fan, I would recommend it

"Crazy Love" is another pretty good documentary about a man who threw acid on his girlfriend, went to prison and they reunited upon his release.

dhmac
02-24-09, 07:41 PM
Man on Wire, which is one of the "Best Documentary Film" nominees for the Academy Awards, is on "Watch Instantly"

Now make that "winner" of Best Documentary Film

dhmac
02-24-09, 10:57 PM
Joss Whedon's "Firefly" feature film Serenity is on Watch Instantly

dhmac
03-02-09, 10:51 AM
On Watch Instantly is a good one for horror fans: Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, a faux "reality show" styled film about an aspiring serial killer that references a lot of horror movie conventions.

majorjoe23
03-02-09, 11:38 AM
I watched that a week or so back and really enjoyed it.

Cadrian
03-02-09, 05:23 PM
For TV Series....
Dead Like me
Sliders
Jericho
Jeremiah
The Tick Series

Movies that I found Recently
Humboldt County

As You can tell... I usually only use it for TV series's..

dhmac
04-06-09, 04:00 PM
It looks like all of the Masters of Horror episodes are now on Watch Instantly.

Tarantino
04-10-09, 01:46 PM
Any good newer foreign movies on Watch It Now?

= J

filmsoncon
04-10-09, 04:54 PM
Any good newer foreign movies on Watch It Now?

= J

"Tell No One" is available for instant viewing; really terrific neo-Hitchockian French thriller.

(Here's my review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36717/tell-no-one/?___rd=1)

(Here's Adam Tyner's equally enthusiastic review of the Blu: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36739/tell-no-one/)

pseudonym?
04-10-09, 05:00 PM
Off the top of my head, I think Kings and Queens and The Beat My Heart Skipped are on "Watch It Now". Two great recent French films.

dhmac
04-12-09, 05:45 PM
City of Men (Cidade dos Homens) is a foreign film from Brazil on "Watch Instantly".

La Vie en Rose has been mentioned before, but I'll add that it's available in 720p Hi-Def if you have the capability to see it that way (for example, a very high-speed connection plus a Roku box).

And, of course, The Host is on "Watch Instantly" too and that's technically a foreign-language film!

CritterYawn
04-12-09, 08:35 PM
Jesus of Montreal. So far (to the best of my knowledge) the only film addressing the issue of a contemporary JC. But I'm not recommending it for the religious merits, instead for the artistic ones.

Applejack
04-25-09, 06:08 PM
JCVD featuring Jean Claude Van Damme is now on watch now.

I haven't watched it yet, but it has gotten good buzz, and doesn't come out on video until tuesday

dhmac
04-29-09, 06:48 PM
I just noticed that Persepolis is on "Watch Instantly"

A good animated film for the grown-ups! :up:

Chad
04-29-09, 09:16 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but it has gotten good buzz, and doesn't come out on video until tuesday

Unfortunately it's the English dubbed version.

dhmac
05-11-09, 11:06 PM
Johnny Got His Gun (1971), Dalton Trumbo's great anti-war film, is now on "Watch Instantly"

(And I don't think this has ever been released on DVD, so this is one of the few ways to finally see it)

majorjoe23
05-11-09, 11:19 PM
It came out on DVD last month. I'll definitely add it to Watch Instantly.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=johnny+got+his+gun&x=0&y=0

Larry C.
05-12-09, 01:10 AM

Great flick. JC did a hell of a job.

Bigcron
05-17-09, 12:36 PM
If you're looking for a good foreign movie, I highly recommend the Danish Pusher trilogy.

Pusher
Pusher 2: With Blood on My Hands
Pusher 3: I'm the Angel of Death

Pusher 3 is definitely my least favorite, but its still very engaging, and the first two are great. Its about drug dealers, and each movie is essentially from the perspective of a different character. All three are available to Watch Now.

emachine12
05-23-09, 12:50 PM
Wall-E was just added and its OAR!

Baron Of Hell
05-23-09, 12:55 PM
Wall-E was just added and its OAR!

good movie

badpenny
05-29-09, 06:17 PM
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days was outstanding.

dhmac
06-21-09, 11:51 AM
I recommend King Corn, a documentary about the role of corn in America told over the backdrop of a year the two filmmakers spent growing an acre of corn in Iowa.

DVD Talk review of it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/33183/king-corn/

Thanh
06-30-09, 01:24 PM
Dexter seasons 1 & 2 is up on watch instantly.

Thanh
08-03-09, 07:37 AM
Lost seasons 1-4 are up!

dhmac
08-31-09, 08:22 AM
Powder Blue (2009) is now on "Watch Instantly" for any Jessica Biel fans.

drh4
09-02-09, 12:11 AM
I'm thinking of joining NF just for this feature. Might some of you old timers direct me to any FAQs or guides for optmizing a netflix signup & subscription (including the "watch now" feature)?

Apologies for my OT post; a quick search for "netflix" didn't come up with anything better at DVDtalk. TIA!

Baron Of Hell
09-02-09, 02:59 AM
The watch it now feature is free with any dvd rental plan. Just pick the cheapest one if you just want to use watch it now.

drh4
09-03-09, 03:14 AM
You need at least the $9 plan...the $5 plan won't do, iirc...

Shannon Nutt
09-04-09, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately it's the English dubbed version.

The version I watched on Netflix wasn't. Maybe they changed it. I watched it about two weeks ago.

Chad
09-15-09, 06:01 PM
^Good to hear. Apparently that feedback I left on their Facebook page that they didn't bother responding to made a difference after all. ;)

The IT Crowd: Series 3 was added today.

dhmac
09-28-09, 04:18 PM
For those interested in the back-in-the-news story about the Roman Polanski case and his recent arrest, last year's documentary about the case titled Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (2008) is on "Watch Instantly"

dhmac
10-02-09, 12:45 PM
A few MST3K episodes have shown up on Watch Instantly:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #102: The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy (Joel)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #211: First Spaceship on Venus (Joel)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #509: The Girl in Lovers' Lane (Joel)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #604: Zombie Nightmare (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #616: Racket Girls (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #706: Laserblast (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #904: Werewolf (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #1004: Future War (Mike)

Huzzah!

dhmac
10-02-09, 02:17 PM
And now for something completely different, all 45 episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus are available on Watch Instantly.

In addition to the entire Monty Python series which is still available, also on Watch Instantly:

The compilation movie:
And Now for Something Completely Different (1971)

And the documentaries:
Monty Python Conquers America (2000)

Before the Flying Circus (2000)

sandra89
10-04-09, 07:05 AM
awesome ! I like it

mndtrp
10-05-09, 11:43 PM
A few MST3K episodes have shown up on Watch Instantly:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #102: The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy (Joel)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #211: First Spaceship on Venus (Joel)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #509: The Girl in Lovers' Lane (Joel)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #604: Zombie Nightmare (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #616: Racket Girls (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #706: Laserblast (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #904: Werewolf (Mike)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #1004: Future War (Mike)

Huzzah!

I just noticed this as well. I can't wait to watch these again.

dhmac
10-08-09, 12:27 PM
For anyone participating in the "100 Movies. 31 Days. October Horror Movie Challenge", some of the movies listed are available on NetFlix "Watch Instantly":

Vampyr
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
The Signal
Let the Right One In
Spider Baby
Final Destination

and probably some others.

dhmac
10-14-09, 01:02 PM
The 3rd "Underworld" movie, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, is now available on Watch Instantly.

(This is the one that stars Rhona Mitra instead of Kate Beckinsale)

Abob Teff
10-16-09, 11:22 PM
For anyone participating in the "100 Movies. 31 Days. October Horror Movie Challenge", some of the movies listed are available on NetFlix "Watch Instantly":

Vampyr
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
The Signal
Let the Right One In
Spider Baby
Final Destination

and probably some others.

I've been jumping into a few discussions, but haven't really been participating in the "event." I have been wondering how many of the movies are available through "Watch Instantly." (Apparently I haven't wondered enough to check for myself.)

dhmac
10-22-09, 12:59 PM
The Japanese Horror Movie Audition (1999) is now on "Watch Instantly"

(I haven't seen it yet, but heard it's very disturbing)

dhmac
12-21-09, 03:22 PM
The documentary Food, Inc. is on Watch Instantly

(BTW, did anyone else notice that NetFlix moved the "Watch Instantly" tab to be the "main" left-most tab now?)

Arthur Dent
12-21-09, 03:50 PM
The documentary Food, Inc. is on Watch Instantly

(BTW, did anyone else notice that NetFlix moved the "Watch Instantly" tab to be the "main" left-most tab now?)
Noticed it 30 seconds before reading this post. :lol:

filmsoncon
12-22-09, 11:01 PM
I think this is new-- Three Errol Morris documentaries ("Gates of Heaven", "Vernon Florida", and "The Thin Blue Line") are now available for Instant Viewing.

"Gates of Heaven" is one of Roger Ebert's 10 best of all time. "The Thin Blue Line" is probably one of mine.

dhmac
12-23-09, 12:31 PM
I think this is new-- Three Errol Morris documentaries ("Gates of Heaven", "Vernon Florida", and "The Thin Blue Line") are now available for Instant Viewing.

"Gates of Heaven" is one of Roger Ebert's 10 best of all time. "The Thin Blue Line" is probably one of mine.
They're all excellent!

dhmac
12-23-09, 12:33 PM
The first five seasons of LOST are all on Watch Instantly

(Good for anyone who wants to get caught up before the 6th and final season starts in 2010)

dhmac
12-23-09, 01:25 PM
La jetée (The Pier) is now on NetFlix Watch Instantly

This short French film (only about 30 minutes long) is what the Terry Gilliam film "12 Monkeys" was based on. "La jetée" is comprised entirely of a series of still photos with narration but is very effective and quite good.

chuckd21
12-23-09, 04:38 PM
The fourth season of Doctor Who and the first two seasons of Torchwood are now available.

Drav3n
12-23-09, 06:09 PM
ThanksKilling has been available for streaming for a few weeks now but never saw this thread before. If you like LOW-budget horror/comedy movies this movie is a cant miss! lol

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
12-23-09, 07:17 PM
The first five seasons of LOST are all on Watch Instantly

(Good for anyone who wants to get caught up before the 6th and final season starts in 2010)

Thanks for the info.

zombeaner
12-23-09, 09:04 PM
A couple of recent watches of mine that I liked far more than I expected:

Constantine's Sword
A Pervert's Guide to Cinema
Not Quite Hollywood
Synecdoche, New York
Cocaine Cowboys 1 & 2
The Girl Can't Help It

Trevor
12-24-09, 01:49 PM
ThanksKilling has been available for streaming for a few weeks now but never saw this thread before. If you like LOW-budget horror/comedy movies this movie is a cant miss! lol
I'm all for low budget, and comedy, and mixing comedy in my horror. But this one didn't work at all for me. Completely unfunny, and quite painful to get through.

Drav3n
12-24-09, 04:46 PM
I'm all for low budget, and comedy, and mixing comedy in my horror. But this one didn't work at all for me. Completely unfunny, and quite painful to get through.

wow, really?! lol i loved this movie. I already went and ordered it from amazon a week ago while i still had my free prime trial.

Chad
12-29-09, 06:19 PM
List of 37 recently added Criterion titles:

High and Low
Jules and Jim
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Summertime
The Vanishing
Walkabout
Yojimbo
My Life as a Dog
For All Mankind
Cleo from 5 to 7
Sisters
Closely Watched Trains
M. Hulot’s Holiday
Rashomon
I Vitelloni
Wild Strawberries
L’Avventura
Hidden Fortress
General Idi Amin Dada
Man Bites Dog
The Lower Depths
Ikiru
Onibaba
Le Corbeau
Overlord
La Bete Humaine
Pickpocket
Elevator to the Gallows
Cria Cuervos
Mala Noche
Europa
Wings of Desire
Z
The Seventh Seal
Che
Gomorrah

http://criterioncast.com/2009/12/21/criterion-on-netflix

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21937/1/WATCH-THIS-NOW-CRITERION-ON-NETFLIX/Page1.html
<BR>

gryffinmaster
12-29-09, 11:44 PM
Ichi the Killer's up now too, though I haven't tested to see if it's in Japanese or English.

dhmac
01-20-10, 11:33 AM

And a couple of other Errol Morris documentaries are also on Watch Instantly:

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control (1997)

Standard Operating Procedure (2008)

zombeaner
01-20-10, 05:55 PM
Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control is one of my very favorite films ever.

onegin3000
01-23-10, 04:47 AM
Just saw the creepy French flick from 1960 "Eyes Without a Face" - haven't seen it in years. Holds up surprisingly well. God bless you Criterion and Netflix.

Drav3n
01-23-10, 09:16 PM
Is there a way to see ALL of the movies/tv shows that are available to stream in HD? I know theres a tab on the site but that doesnt list everything thats available.

lacubs
01-23-10, 09:28 PM
Is there a way to see ALL of the movies/tv shows that are available to stream in HD? I know theres a tab on the site but that doesnt list everything thats available.

got this off http://instantwatcher.com

A lot of people would like this feature, but for technical reasons, Netflix isn't making this possible yet. See http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/32765#comment-55292 for more information.

Drav3n
01-23-10, 09:39 PM
damn. so i now have one complaint w/ netflix lol

DVDMagic
01-23-10, 10:06 PM
there is a site called www.instantwatcher.com
that lists everything, but honestly I'm not sure if it lists those in HD.

lacubs
01-23-10, 10:11 PM
there is a site called www.instantwatcher.com
that lists everything, but honestly I'm not sure if it lists those in HD.

thats where i got mine post from,they cant do it yet

The Cow
01-23-10, 10:27 PM
got this off http://instantwatcher.com

A lot of people would like this feature, but for technical reasons, Netflix isn't making this possible yet. See http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/32765#comment-55292 for more information.

Ooh, nice. Thanks for that one!

dhmac
01-24-10, 09:34 AM
If you want to check out a particularly infamous movie, Caligula is on Watch Instantly now (and it apparently is the 156-minute unrated version).

Chad
01-26-10, 02:35 PM
20 more Criterion titles added:

The Battle of Algiers
Diabolique
The Earrings Of Madame De…
Fanny and Alexander
M
Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters
Pandora’s Box
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Playtime
Richard III
The Rules of the Game
Samurai Rebellion
Smiles of a Summer Night
Tokyo Drifter
Tokyo Story
Tout Va Bien
Ugetsu
Umberto D.
The Wages of Fear

http://criterioncast.com/2010/01/22/more-criterion-on-netflix

Kmical
01-28-10, 02:22 PM
I've started using the following to see what's coming up:

http://www.streamingsoon.com/

No HD listing, but it lets me plan ahead.

Drav3n
01-28-10, 04:46 PM
thanks for this link! some good movies being added tomorrow!

trespoochies
01-28-10, 10:48 PM
Not sure if this was asked before - but when streaming HD content, is the audio only 2 channel? Just got the Netflix disc, so I'm still getting used to it.

wampyrii
01-30-10, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the links to instantwatcher and streaming soon...I doubled the length of my instant queue thanks to those two sites lol

I watched Let The Right One In last night, great vampire movie and streams in HD too.

Drav3n
01-30-10, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the links to instantwatcher and streaming soon...I doubled the length of my instant queue thanks to those two sites lol

I watched Let The Right One In last night, great vampire movie and streams in HD too.

excellent movie!

btw, welcome to the board!

ChefWinduAZ
02-07-10, 03:43 PM
So I saw that they added Torchwood: Children of Earth. I watched Part 1 and then find out that they don't have Part 2 available for streaming but they have parts 3, 4 and 5. What's up with that?!!!

tbone
02-07-10, 06:34 PM
Some title I've watched last couple of months:

Cocaine Cowboys 1 & 2 (previously recommended) Great documentary!

The King of Kong

2 Days in Paris

I Want Candy

dhmac
02-08-10, 10:37 PM
So I saw that they added Torchwood: Children of Earth. I watched Part 1 and then find out that they don't have Part 2 available for streaming but they have parts 3, 4 and 5. What's up with that?!!!
That sucks. I don't know why their streaming licensing sometimes skips episodes of series. It seems like it would all be a package deal (except when it's just a Pilot).

Giles
02-09-10, 12:40 AM
Big Fan (HD) (OAR) since this shot with HD Red One camera this is exceedingly sharp and detailed
Horror of Dracula (HD) the hidef really made the colors and image 'pop'
24 City (HD) beautiful cinematography complimented by it's sublime hidef presentation
Ma Vie en Rose (full screen 4:3) very good film, but it's the first film I've "instant watched" which looked quite frankly hideous - cropped and out of focus

I'm glad they have Starz' Spartacus series, since watching via Netflix frees up limited space on my DVR

Dusty Bottoms
02-09-10, 04:16 PM
Big Fan (HD) (OAR) since this shot with HD Red One camera this is exceedingly sharp and detailed
Horror of Dracula (HD) the hidef really made the colors and image 'pop'
24 City (HD) beautiful cinematography complimented by it's sublime hidef presentation
Ma Vie en Rose (full screen 4:3) very good film, but it's the first film I've "instant watched" which looked quite frankly hideous - cropped and out of focus

I'm glad they have Starz' Spartacus series, since watching via Netflix frees up limited space on my DVR

I noticed that you listed Big Fan as being OAR. I have only played around with Netflix streaming a little bit, and I haven't watched a full movie yet. Do you find that most of their HD content is OAR? I never thought about the fact that they might be using cropped transfers.

Giles
02-09-10, 10:22 PM
^ of the few I've seen yes they are OAR

I hope Netflix can secure the hidef films that the now defunct satellite channel MonstersHD broadcast.

Dusty Bottoms
02-10-10, 09:03 AM
^ of the few I've seen yes they are OAR

That's good. I've been meaning to watch something through Netflix streaming, but it seems like I always have a stack of Blu-ray Discs or DVDs. Big Fan is actually one I wanted to see though, and it didn't get a Blu-ray release. I might try that one this weekend.

Drexl
02-10-10, 12:57 PM
If they're HD they may be OAR, but I've seen some non-OAR transfers of SD movies. I don't think my connection is fast enough to even get HD.

dhmac
02-11-10, 04:21 PM
I don't think my connection is fast enough to even get HD.
According to NetFlix, the HD quality requires an Internet connection of 3.0 Mbps or higher.

Chad
02-11-10, 07:32 PM
According to NetFlix, the HD quality requires an Internet connection of 3.0 Mbps or higher.

It's 5 Mbps minimum for HD content:

http://www.netflix.com/WiMessage?msg=59

I'm fairly certain the 3 Mbps speed is for max SD quality.
<BR>

Giles
02-11-10, 07:49 PM
20 more Criterion titles added:

The Battle of Algiers
Diabolique
The Earrings Of Madame De…
Fanny and Alexander
M
Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters
Pandora’s Box
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Playtime
Richard III
The Rules of the Game
Samurai Rebellion
Smiles of a Summer Night
Tokyo Drifter
Tokyo Story
Tout Va Bien
Ugetsu
Umberto D.
The Wages of Fear

http://criterioncast.com/2010/01/22/more-criterion-on-netflix

another Criterion title: "Paris, Texas" was added, and in HiDef (!) no less... :)

Chad
02-17-10, 06:56 PM
And some more Criterions:

49th Parallel
Black Narcissus
Brief Encounter
Great Expectations
Green for Danger
Hamlet
I Know Where I’m Going
Life & Death of Colonel Blimp
Red Shoes
Revanche
This Sporting Life

http://criterioncast.com/2010/02/16/netflix-watch-instantly-adds-some-more-criterion-films-powell-and-pressburger-david-lean-laurence-olivier-and-gotz-spielmann-criterion-on-netflix/
<BR>

sid369
02-22-10, 10:16 AM
I am looking for some good foreign film recommendations. I have recently watched the
Motorcycle dairies.
As far as my feet will carry me.

I like suspense/thriller/horror. So any recommendations

Drav3n
02-22-10, 11:35 AM
I am looking for some good foreign film recommendations. I have recently watched the
Motorcycle dairies.
As far as my feet will carry me.

I like suspense/thriller/horror. So any recommendations

oldboy
sympathy for mr vengeance
lady vengeance
the orphanage
the host
let the right one in

zombeaner
02-25-10, 11:04 AM
Antichrist just popped up despite having no ETA for home video in the US.

Drav3n
02-25-10, 11:33 AM
was just gonna post that.. im watching it now to see if it worth the hype i had read about..

zombeaner
02-25-10, 11:55 AM
I liked it a lot.

Giles
03-02-10, 01:07 AM
I watched Costa Gavras' Z this morning (Criterion transfer) and wow - wow!, the colours and sharpness had me fooled that I thought I was watching HiDef (when it wasn't). Great movie, great viewing from Netflix

Giles
03-06-10, 07:58 PM
the Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn Holiday in Hidef looked pretty impressive in hidef - a tad grainy, but still quite good.

Chad
03-09-10, 10:06 PM
Gigante was just put up. Excellent film.

And it looks like streamingsoon.com is ceasing operation:

Streaming Soon will not be updating anymore. Though we appreciate how much you like the site, it is taking too much of our time to maintain and we have to do other things to keep the rent paid.
Our site has always been maintained manually - every addition, every change was sorted manually by going through line after line of basic html code. We're not programmers, we don't know how to cull info from Netflix's data bank and magically format it the way we want it to look. As a result, maintaining the site wasn't easy, but we did it because we enjoy Netflix's Instant Watch service and believed we were filling a need that Netflix didn't satisfy themselves.

Now, as some people have gained more experience with Netflix's programming interface, there are other sites that provide information similar to Streaming Soon who manage it with less daily effort (though plenty of work certainly went into the set-up of these sites). One of the best is Feedfliks' coming soon page at http://feedfliks.com/streaming/coming-soon and we suggest you bookmark it and make it your new source of info for upcoming titles.

So, for now, this is goodbye. If you're following us on Twitter, please continue to do so. We'll still tweet occasionally about future titles that catch our interest, and don't forget about our multiple outlets elsewhere, where we may still be found, and you can keep up with anything else we do!

Thank you all for your support.

Andrew & Matthew
<BR>

dhmac
03-12-10, 03:12 PM
And it looks like streamingsoon.com is ceasing operation:

Streaming Soon will not be updating anymore. Though we appreciate how much you like the site, it is taking too much of our time to maintain and we have to do other things to keep the rent paid.
Our site has always been maintained manually - every addition, every change was sorted manually by going through line after line of basic html code. We're not programmers, we don't know how to cull info from Netflix's data bank and magically format it the way we want it to look. As a result, maintaining the site wasn't easy, but we did it because we enjoy Netflix's Instant Watch service and believed we were filling a need that Netflix didn't satisfy themselves.

Now, as some people have gained more experience with Netflix's programming interface, there are other sites that provide information similar to Streaming Soon who manage it with less daily effort (though plenty of work certainly went into the set-up of these sites). One of the best is Feedfliks' coming soon page at http://feedfliks.com/streaming/coming-soon and we suggest you bookmark it and make it your new source of info for upcoming titles.

So, for now, this is goodbye. If you're following us on Twitter, please continue to do so. We'll still tweet occasionally about future titles that catch our interest, and don't forget about our multiple outlets elsewhere, where we may still be found, and you can keep up with anything else we do!

Thank you all for your support.

Andrew & Matthew
<BR>
That news sucks.

At least InstantWatcher.com (http://instantwatcher.com/) is still going.

Larry C.
03-13-10, 10:33 AM
Not sure if it has been posted but Tommy Wirkola's "Dead Snow" is now available to stream.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-KQh87_V2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-KQh87_V2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

JohnSlider
03-13-10, 10:30 PM
Do any of those sites have a list of all the HD titles on Netflix On Demand? Their HD category in the Genres list is inaccurate, because Big Fan wasn't listed as being in HD but when I went to play it, the stream was of HD quality.

theWitcher
03-19-10, 08:24 AM
Do any of those sites have a list of all the HD titles on Netflix On Demand? Their HD category in the Genres list is inaccurate, because Big Fan wasn't listed as being in HD but when I went to play it, the stream was of HD quality.

I've read (somewhere) that HD availability on some titles varies by streaming device so it's not simply a binary designation. Presumably all the titles under the Netflix.com HD category can be streamed in HD by all devices.

What I'd really like to see is some sort of StarzPlay filter so I can remove all those selections from my pool of potentially viewable titles. It's very disappointing to realize that an interesting newly-added title is available via StarzPlay.

spainlinx0
03-19-10, 03:40 PM
Just found this thread. What's wrong with StarzPlay?

Alan Smithee
03-19-10, 06:27 PM
Is anyone else using a Vizio TV with built-in internet streaming? I just activated my Netflix trial and the sound is coming out in mono. If I play the same movie from the laptop computer hooked to the TV I get stereo, but the picture isn't as good. I've called Netflix and they said to let Vizio know, and I let Vizio know a few days ago and they haven't commented.

I'd pay for this service if the quality was better, but so far I'm disappointed.

theWitcher
03-20-10, 12:26 PM
What's wrong with StarzPlay?

Dismal quality in the wrong aspect ratio, at least based on my experience(s). I gave up.

OldBoy
03-20-10, 01:56 PM
this thread is an excellent idea. since i just instituted XBOX 360 and Netflix, i have been looking for "Watch Instantly" titles. too bad there are so many more that aren't available to watch instantly, but are available in DVD form.

dhmac
03-28-10, 12:52 PM
Jazz on a Summer's Day (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Jazz_on_a_Summer_s_Day/26579662) is on Watch Instantly.

This is a concert documentary on the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. Captures a lot of jazz greats performing such as Louis Armstrong and Thelonious Monk.

I think this is a must-see for any jazz fan!

ShadyLPete
04-01-10, 12:21 PM
Wow, why do the Starz Play movies suck so hard? You'd think a company as big as them would make everything look great

Drav3n
04-01-10, 12:50 PM
all three seasons of Arrested Development are now available in HD for streaming! :D

ATX
04-01-10, 07:39 PM
Wow, why do the Starz Play movies suck so hard? You'd think a company as big as them would make everything look great

thought it was just me till i read this thread

just noticed they put up all 24 seasons and Lie to me

might rewatch s7 as i stropped buying dvd's @ s5

dopehat
04-01-10, 09:50 PM
They also put up all the Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, X-Files, My Name Is Earl episodes

Ghostbuster
04-01-10, 10:30 PM
I highly recommend Buffy. The first season episodes are hit-and-miss due to the "monster of the week" phenomenon (similar to the first season of Smallville), but the show really picks up during the second season. Check it out!

P.S. In my opinion, there are FIVE must-see first season episodes: Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, Witch (Amy is a recurring character), Angel, and Prophecy Girl. To fully understand and appreciate later seasons, these episodes must be watched.

P.P.S. The first season of Angel aligns with the fourth season of Buffy.

paradicelost
04-01-10, 10:56 PM
I highly recommend Buffy. The first season episodes are hit-and-miss due to the "monster of the week" phenomenon (similar to the first season of Smallville), but the show really picks up during the second season. Check it out!

P.S. In my opinion, there are FIVE must-see first season episodes: Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, Witch (Amy is a recurring character), Angel, and Prophecy Girl. To fully understand and appreciate later seasons, these episodes must be watched.

P.P.S. The first season of Angel aligns with the fourth season of Buffy.

Off topic but I love Buffy and Smallville, but when i started Smallville I always said it was Buffy but instead of the Hellmouth they had the kryptonite being the cause of the villian.
Its funny I own all the seasons of buffy but i'll probably still add them so i don't have to dig through my dvds.

Anubis2005X
04-01-10, 11:29 PM
I've only checked Season 5, but I can confirm that that season of Buffy is showing up in 16x9 on Netflix. I know that there was a lot of debate over 16x9 vs. 4x3 for Buffy, but I think I'll watch on Netflix over my 4x3 DVDs...

DGibFen
04-02-10, 01:50 AM
The first four series of Black Adder are up. Great if you like Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, and Stephen Fry.

dhmac
04-03-10, 10:48 AM
For anyone who wants to see the original before seeing the new remake, the original "Clash of the Titans" (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Clash_of_the_Titans/60000844) is on Watch Instantly.

(Or anyone who just wants to see the original and skip the remake entirely)

Trevor
04-03-10, 11:03 AM
The first four series of Black Adder are up. Great if you like Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, and Stephen Fry.
Thanks, been meaning to check that out someday. Not big on Bean, but loves Jeeves and Wooster.
For anyone who wants to see the original before seeing the new remake, the original "Clash of the Titans" (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Clash_of_the_Titans/60000844) is on Watch Instantly.

The original holds up well for me, perhaps mainly because of the memories of my first big screen boobies. Love the stop motion stuff as well.

theWitcher
04-03-10, 12:34 PM

And you're probably better off having them send you the DVD or BD since the streaming version is not in its theatrical aspect ratio.

I've noticed this on a few other WB titles, including 'The Sheltering Sky.'

WB also offers quite watchable OAR versions of other movies, and offers quite a few HD versions as well. This is a marked contrast to StarzPlay, where I haven't found anything remotely acceptable for viewing on my modest 46 inch LCD (and I would love for someone to point me in the direction of viewable StarzPlay content since I notice something new all the time that I'd like to see immediately, only to notice that fucking StarzPlay logo. Even Starz original content like 'Party Down' looks awful.)

DGibFen
04-05-10, 01:22 AM
Criterion's releases of "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" and "F is For Fake" are now up. I'm not sure about other new releases.

TV: Dollhouse Season 1 is now up for streaming.

Larry C.
04-06-10, 01:15 AM
Thanks, been meaning to check that out someday. Not big on Bean, but loves Jeeves and Wooster.

The original holds up well for me, perhaps mainly because of the memories of my first big screen boobies. Love the stop motion stuff as well.

rotfl thats what I remember the most PG movie with boobies.

OldBoy
04-07-10, 06:36 PM
i vote to have this thread stickied!

dhmac
04-11-10, 04:04 PM
And you're probably better off having them send you the DVD or BD since the streaming version is not in its theatrical aspect ratio.

True, but at least Clash of the Titans looks like an open-matte transfer, so no panning-and-scanning was done which means zooming it to fill up the screen will somewhat approximate the OAR.

dhmac
04-19-10, 02:44 PM
The thoughtful Sci-Fi film Moon (2009) (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Moon/70112500), starring Sam Rockwell and... um, Sam Rockwell, is now on Watch Instantly.

paradicelost
04-19-10, 08:16 PM
Taxidermia is now up. There was a really good article on it in the last Rue Morgue and Ian Jane wrote a pretty good review for it on here as well ( http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41327/taxidermia/?___rd=1 )
Worth checking out.

Giles
04-27-10, 01:27 AM
^ and it's in HD

also I noted tonight that 'Barry Lyndon' is now listed as being in HiDef - hmmmm,

Giles
04-27-10, 01:28 AM
i vote to have this thread stickied!

I agree.

Drexl
04-27-10, 02:12 AM
^ and it's in HD

also I noted tonight that 'Barry Lyndon' is now listed as being in HiDef - hmmmm,

Well, they have at least one HD master for Barry Lyndon, which they did for the 2001 DVDs. That master is dated by today's standards and wouldn't be good enough for a BD release (which is why they did new transfers for the 2007 discs). But since BL was not included in the 2007 releases, they might not have done a new transfer for it.

Giles
04-27-10, 10:53 AM
I know that Warners made available a HD for HDNet Movies, which I of course missed, looking at the first five minutes the transfer looks soft, but of course I'm sure that how's its supposed to look: 'artistictly'

I've had the movie in my queue for a while and I just noted that it being denoted as being in 'Hidef' - it originally wasn't.

OldBoy
04-27-10, 08:59 PM
I just saw this with a few of my Instant Watch movies in my queue, same date for all...

"Available until 5/1/2010"

what's that about?

Drexl
04-28-10, 12:03 AM
What's it about? They can expire, just like some things on Hulu.

OldBoy
04-28-10, 10:25 AM
What's it about? They can expire, just like some things on Hulu.

that sucks. thanks. guess i should watch them quick.

now, do you know if that means they will vanish on 5/1 (12:01am) or will i have through 5/1 to watch? i ask because 4/30 is Friday and 5/1 Saturday. i would have more time if they were to expire 5/1 @ midnight.

Drop
04-28-10, 12:17 PM
Sometimes the programs don't really expire because they do get renewed. Sometimes they do, too, so I wouldn't risk it, but don't surprised if some of them are still in your queue.

OldBoy
04-28-10, 05:45 PM
thanks. i'll do what i can. after playing the very excellent Dead Space on 360, really wanted to see Dead Space: Downfall and only realized they had it the other day and then noticed yesterday it has an expiration date :(

Drav3n
05-01-10, 10:01 AM
Chan-Wook Park's "Thirst" has been added as of today..and in HD! :D

Groucho
05-01-10, 10:09 AM
Chan-Wook Park's "Thirst" has been added as of today..and in HD! :D:thumbsup: Can't wait! Thanks for the info.

Drav3n
05-01-10, 10:27 AM
:thumbsup: Can't wait! Thanks for the info.

Np! I been waiting all month for this movie to be available in HD, and it looks great!

OldBoy
05-03-10, 09:51 PM
Pandorum will go instant on 5/6/10.

Baron Of Hell
05-04-10, 12:46 PM
Pandorum is a pretty good movie.

OldBoy
05-04-10, 01:08 PM

i feel asleep when i rented it from BBV and then had to give it back, way back a month ago, when i was with that company. had it in the bottom of my DVD queue and noticed it is going instant.

theWitcher
05-05-10, 05:17 AM
Another complaint:
The "upgrade" of 'Last Boy Scout' from SD to HD also caused the aspect ratio to change from scope to cropped-to-16x9. I've been trying to make it through this one again for almost 20 years, but it won't be happening this way.

A few HD recommendations:
I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Baader-Meinhof Complex.' And 'Enduring Love' was pretty entertaining and seemed to capture that older McEwan vibe until it fell apart in the last half hour. 'Looking for Mr Goodbar' looks pretty good in HD, and probably hasn't been seen in widescreen too often over the last 30 years.

maingon
05-11-10, 01:59 AM

Just watched it very underrated movie I really liked it as , worth watching

LiquidSky
05-11-10, 08:26 AM
I just joined Netflix and have really enjoyed episodes of the TV show "Bones" on instant watch.

Larry C.
05-11-10, 09:11 AM
I just joined Netflix and have really enjoyed episodes of the TV show "Bones" on instant watch.

Liquid when you put Bones in quotes it makes me nervous. ;)

LiquidSky
05-11-10, 04:22 PM
Liquid when you put Bones in quotes it makes me nervous. ;)

:lol:

I love that show! I've already watched 16 eps of season one.

Drav3n
05-22-10, 03:31 PM
Wow, alot of older cartoons (from my childhood) have been added!

Rugrats
Aahh Real Monsters
Ren & Stimpy
Beavis and Butthead
Rocko's Modern Life

I'm hoping they add "Doug" soon!

dhmac
05-31-10, 03:26 PM
There are a lot of Ken Burns documentary miniseries on Watch Instantly:

Ken Burns: The National Parks: America's Best Idea (2009) (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ken_Burns_The_National_Parks_America_s_Best_Idea/70119960)

Ken Burns: The War (2007) (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ken_Burns_The_War/70077923) (this one is about World War II)

Ken Burns: Jazz (2000) (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Jazz/60030422)

Ken Burns: The Civil War (1990) (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ken_Burns_The_Civil_War/60030478)

(and a number of other Ken Burns documentary here are also on Watch Instantly) (http://www.netflix.com/RoleDisplay/Ken_Burns/20028728)

Drav3n
06-02-10, 11:38 PM
The Messenger has already been added and available in HD!

dhmac
06-05-10, 04:14 PM
For anyone wondering if the truth is still out there in streamable form, all seasons of The X-Files are on Watch Instantly. (But, unfortunately, neither of the two theatrical films are.)

dhmac
06-05-10, 04:20 PM
The top-notch horror film The House of the Devil (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_House_of_the_Devil/70117039), which was made in a very effective '70s-era revivalist style, is now on Watch Instantly.

dino88
06-19-10, 02:03 AM
I just read through this last page and I think my question may have already been answered. I'm thinking of trying out Netflix, but I'm wanting to use it primarily for streaming new releases through my PS3. Are the Tuesday new releases available instantly for streaming? From some of the posts above, I'm guessing the answer is no.

A couple more general questions:

-I believe I will need a disc to allow streaming through the PS3. Do they provide 2 discs to 2 system households?

-I'd like to take advantage of one of the free trial offers. Is the 2-week free trial the best available or is there a month free trial that I'm missing?

Thanks guys!

Arthur Dent
06-19-10, 02:26 AM
I just read through this last page and I think my question may have already been answered. I'm thinking of trying out Netflix, but I'm wanting to use it primarily for streaming new releases through my PS3. Are the Tuesday new releases available instantly for streaming? From some of the posts above, I'm guessing the answer is no.

A couple more general questions:

-I believe I will need a disc to allow streaming through the PS3. Do they provide 2 discs to 2 system households?

-I'd like to take advantage of one of the free trial offers. Is the 2-week free trial the best available or is there a month free trial that I'm missing?

Thanks guys!
You can get a month free trial. http://www.netflix.com/clearcookies should bring it up.

SuperBatMan
06-25-10, 02:41 PM
There's starting to be some really good stuff put up. All the Jaws movies were added today, and next week Aliens, Batman '66, Babylon 5 seasons 1 - 5, Veronica Mars season 1-3, Sarah Conner Chronicles season 1 & 2, Futurama, and more are being added on July 1.

Not bad.

lacubs
06-25-10, 02:46 PM
http://feedfliks.com/streaming/coming-soon

Anubis2005X
07-01-10, 11:50 AM
Zombieland is up on Netflix Instant. This might've already been mentioned, sorry if I missed it...

dhmac
07-05-10, 12:57 PM
Black Dynamite (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Black_Dynamite/70112469) is now on Watch Instantly

Beware of Kung-Fu Treachery!

Shannon Nutt
07-05-10, 01:41 PM
TALES FROM THE SCRIPT is a good little documentary on screenwriting for those interested.

Chew
07-06-10, 04:53 PM
Good news for Netflix streaming:

Netflix is adding to the group of movies that subscribers can watch online or over Internet-connected devices at the same time as they would have appeared on premium pay TV channels such as HBO or Showtime.

The deal announced Tuesday with film financier Relativity Media adds a batch of newer movies from Walt Disney and Sony that can be watched online through Netflix's 2-year-old deal with Starz Entertainment on a service called Starz Play.

Among the first films in the deal are The Fighter, starring Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg and Amy Adams, and Season of the Witch, starring Nicolas Cage. The films are set to hit theaters later this year.

With new movies from Relativity available early next year, about one-fifth of the rental movie chain's 100,000 movie and TV show titles can now be streamed online.

Netflix is gradually transforming itself from a mail-order DVD service to one that makes content available online over personal computers, game consoles, Blu-ray players, mobile devices and TVs.

Supported devices include Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii, Roku's digital player and Apple's iPad.

Although DVDs by mail remain the largest part of Netflix's business, the company has been trying to expand its streaming service partly as a way to reduce postage costs.

Netflix, which is based in Los Gatos, has 13 million members in the U.S. who pay at least $8.99 per month to get DVDs by mail and unlimited access to the streaming catalog.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-07-06-netflix-deal_N.htm

paradicelost
07-07-10, 12:53 PM
The Girl with the dragon tattoo looks like it has been added, which is odd since i think it just came out yesterday. I thought about it being a blind buy but i guess this will save me money if it turns out not to be very good.

Anubis2005X
07-07-10, 01:31 PM
Jason and the Argonauts is up in HD...

TheNightFlier
07-07-10, 01:36 PM
All of the Futurama movies have been added to the "Watch Now" HD category.

Drav3n
07-07-10, 01:49 PM
No HD for "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" :(

paradicelost
07-07-10, 08:13 PM
No HD for "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" :(

I haven't had time to check on that, that kinda sucks, oh well if its good I'll pick up the blu-ray.

paradicelost
07-23-10, 03:43 PM
I noticed "Plague Dogs" was added today. I haven't seen it but am a big fan of the book. I thought they did a good job with "Watership Down" so hopefully this is pretty decent.

Alan Smithee
08-02-10, 05:45 AM
Nobody's mentioned the test videos Netflix has put up- apparently they were shot at their headquarters, which is a pretty nice-looking building. Search for "Example" and you'll get a few variations of it.

Larry C.
08-02-10, 08:31 AM
I know its be available for a bit but for those of you who haven't had a chance to watch "Triangle" DO IT NOW!!!! Great movie.