Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Luke turned Sith!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luke turned Sith!

I only say this because I',m dressed all in black neck to toe (it's cold here right now). Did anybody notice Luke's attire in Return of the Jedi?

He's a Sith, dude!

I think that was the twist to the whole trilogy.
Old 01-21-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Welcome to 1983
Old 01-21-08, 11:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I love how the term "Sith" was completely forgotten in the later chapters.
Old 01-21-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
It was the rebellion's "Valdemort".
Old 01-21-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There were no Jedi to care about the Sith.
Old 01-21-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Do you know who Luke Skywalkers father is?
Old 01-21-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
Do you know who Luke Skywalkers father is?
Obi-Wan Kenobi... everyone knows that. O_o
Old 01-21-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
That's not totally true - Vader was referred to as "a dark lord of the Sith"...well, at least in print materials of the late 70s/early 80s.
Old 01-21-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I doubt the average resident of the Republic/Empire had any idea what really happened when Palpatine revealed himself as a sith lord and declared himself emperor. The party line (as seen in the senate chamber) was that Palpatine was attacked and disfigured by the Jedi, who were declared public enemy #1.

It is funny how the Jedi were out of power for 20 years and they were referred to as ancient. Those people have even shorter attention spans than we do.
Old 01-21-08, 01:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's not totally true - Vader was referred to as "a dark lord of the Sith"...well, at least in print materials of the late 70s/early 80s.
Yeah, the books don't really matter when talking about the movies.

Originally Posted by Jason
I doubt the average resident of the Republic/Empire had any idea what really happened when Palpatine revealed himself as a sith lord and declared himself emperor. The party line (as seen in the senate chamber) was that Palpatine was attacked and disfigured by the Jedi, who were declared public enemy #1.
I was referring more to the actual characters who talked about "the dark side" the most, i.e. Ben and Yoda. You'd think they'd mention it once during parts 4-6. Just "the dark side," which I think is better than "Sith" anyway.
Old 01-21-08, 03:56 PM
En vacance

I think that black attire is the TRUE "uniform" of Jedi, before the prequels showed that all Jedi wear farmer Tatooine clothes.
Old 01-22-08, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was like so upset with Luke in Jedi, because he was like so unfabulous looking with all those blacks. He didn't like have a hint of color, like a nice colorful shawl or red socks. But that Han Solo hunk of meat looked totally fierce and fabulous, even when he was blind for a bit...
Old 01-22-08, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I just want to say that Han shot first.
Old 01-22-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I was like so upset with Luke in Jedi, because he was like so unfabulous looking with all those blacks.
Well, he was cold.
Old 01-22-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

especially in that blazing hot desert!
Old 01-22-08, 08:01 AM

Could somebody delete the original post and digitally add in Hayden Christensen???
Old 01-22-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
It is funny how the Jedi were out of power for 20 years and they were referred to as ancient. Those people have even shorter attention spans than we do.
I think it had more to do with the fact they had been around for 1000's of years before that.

Since I am convinced that Lucas had only a very rough idea what had happened before the first movie (I refuse to believe he had the scripts or even outlines of even the second or third movies, let alone the prequels when Star Wars was filmed -Yes I know it's the myth but I call bullshit) I am betting Sith was simply a throw away title to make Vader sound cool that Lucas made up (Like Duke of York). I don't think the "Dark Jedi" were meant to be called Sith until much later.
Old 01-22-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was all part of bringing balance to the force... duh.
Old 01-22-08, 09:04 PM

Here is the prologue from the 1976 Star Wars novelization. No mention of the Sith, but Lucas didn't stray too far from the basic outline for the prequels.

ANOTHER GALAXY, another time

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only top know that....it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens, when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any internal attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples.

From the First Saga
Journal of the Whills

From STAR WARS
by George Lucas
1976 Del Ray/Ballantine Books
The Star Wars Corporation
Old 01-22-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That sounds like the Emperor was a mere puppet, controlled by a group of ruthless bureaucrats. Nothing like how the series played out.
Old 01-23-08, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kudama
I only say this because I',m dressed all in black neck to toe (it's cold here right now). Did anybody notice Luke's attire in Return of the Jedi?

He's a Sith, dude!

I think that was the twist to the whole trilogy.
I'm more shocked by the fact that apparently black clothes are warmer than any other color.

Too bad Luke didn't have those duds on Hoth. He never would've needed to sleep inside of a taun-taun.
Old 01-23-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Not only was he wearing black like a sith, he uses force choke on the guards when he enters jabba's palace, a very much sith move.
Old 01-23-08, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This thread is total sith.. oh wait, I spelled that wrong.
Old 01-23-08, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Luke was almost a sith.

I think that's the very idea. Luke's appearance mimics that of his father's by dressing in black. Luke did not have proper training, and by choosing "the quick and easy path" he walks a fine line between Jedi and Sith. Which would explain why Vader is so keen on having him turn to the Darkside. Because he (Luke) was not trained from childhood, and had little to no control over his emotions he can be easily swayed like his father Anakin was.

If you look at Anakin's style it's full of agression and hatred. Luke battled Vader only once before in Empire and though he got his butt kicked he had control over his emotions. Something Yoda said he needed to overcome on Degbah.In Empire Luke sees Vader...not as his father but as the one who killed his master Obi-Wan. Vader even says it himself "Obi-Wan has taught you well...you have controlled your fear. Now release you anger only your hatred can destroy me."

By telling Luke he is his father it destroys every thought Luke had about Vader. Vader knew by telling Luke the "truth" it would shake his confidence, and there is no way Luke would kill his (estranged) father. "His compassion for you will be his undoing. He will come to you...and you will bring him before me." This one is kinda long...from a certain point of view...

The entire fight between Vader and Luke on the second Death Star is one giant mind f***. You got the Emperor taunting Luke edging him towards the darkside, and Vader willing to kill his own son though inside he is conflicted. Luke's plan is to wait the entire fight out, and if necessary let himself be destroyed if it means the end of the Emperor , and Vader's evil. Unable to remain calm and collected once Leia is threatened we see what Luke is holidng back, and it all seems a little too familiar...or does it?

Luke a Sith? No, maybe Sith-lite, but not a full blown Sith. He did wander into dark territory by becoming all rageful during his fight with Vader, but if you were paying attention it was all part of the plan. I don't buy into Expanded Universe, and I'm sure those stories are great I just never got into them as much as your average SW fan. I mean honestly...Chewie dying? Anakin being RE-born through the Force? Seems a but too much work to make for an interesting side story. Although I did come across this video and I think it sums up my entire post...

Felt good to talk about Star Wars, I haven't in a while .
-zero
Old 01-23-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
That sounds like the Emperor was a mere puppet, controlled by a group of ruthless bureaucrats. Nothing like how the series played out.
Well, that prologue was more like a rough draft, like sand, not smooth like the first movie of the series...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.