DVD Talk
The Wire / Episode 54 / "Transitions" 01/26 (Now On Demand) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Wire / Episode 54 / "Transitions" 01/26 (Now On Demand)

Flay
01-21-08, 10:00 AM
"Buyer's market out there." - Templeton

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. One of the best endings to an episode since Omar & Brother Mouzone blasted Stringer in the abandoned warehouse back in Season 3. This season is really moving along quickly.

FYI to those who hate spoilers, this episode catches up the masses on the net to the next three leaked screener episodes. Be wary of the content in spoiler boxes the next couple of weeks.

mwbmis
01-21-08, 02:32 PM
Damn, this episode certainly moved the story along. Lots of scenes to love this week...McNulty and Freamon working on the body...Prop Joe and Herc talking in Levy's office...etc.

I wonder if Burrell's report on Daniels will have legs. Certainly, it looks like she's saving it to play later.

As for the big scene at the end (hiding out of consideration of those who haven't seen it)

Joe's death...while not stunning...I'm surprised that he could be so stupid, but I guess he had gotten to a certain level of complacency where he just wasn't seeing all the angles. He got too worried about Omar and not worried enough about Marlo. I think we can all guess Cheese's ultimate fate here, but Slim Charles seems to be fairly astute so I wonder where he'll fall in all of this. I can't see him siding with Marlo which definitely puts him on the outside and in danger. McNulty is right about one thing...Marlo has been winning entirely too much...he shouldn't get to win, but who knows with this show.

bluetoast
01-21-08, 09:16 PM
I agree, fast moving episode. And of course Tom Shales spoiled the ending in his article a few weeks back.

And yeah...I saw 5 & 6 as well...good stuff.

alfredog1976
01-21-08, 11:01 PM
Damn I love this show...saw 5, 6 & 7 as well....shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet, have to wait a month before a new episode. :(

Chauzer
01-22-08, 03:46 AM
damn, great episode

i really hope slim charles doesn't die.. but dunno where he would go now, doubt he'll go w/ marlo, so they might just end up killing him

Manco
01-22-08, 05:22 AM
SONAVABITCH! Marlo Has Got To Go!!!!!

boredsilly
01-22-08, 08:31 AM
Damn I love this show...saw 5, 6 & 7 as well....shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet, have to wait a month before a new episode. :(

Yeah, that is going to be the worst.

JayDerek
01-22-08, 09:08 AM
SONAVABITCH! Marlo Has Got To Go!!!!!

after what he did to Butchie in episode 3 and then to Prop Joe in episode 4....yeah Marlo has a bad end coming to him for sure.

Doc MacGyver
01-22-08, 10:45 AM
Hard not to see this coming, I was just surprised at how fast it went down. I thought Marlo's Michael-Corleone-esque takeover of the co-op and assasination of Prop Joe would have been further down the line.

Poor Prop Joe... the man could see all the angles, and yet couldn't see that the pitbull he had on his leash couldn't be domesticated.

Was the Greek (awesome to see him back!) afraid of Marlo? Seems a little odd that everyone's so afraid of this asshole. He's sociopathic, sure... and Chris and Snoop have skills... but still, he's put himself out there a couple of times... cut off the head and I doubt the rest of his organization would be that hard to pick off.

Anyone else hoping that Slim Charles saddles up with Omar? (as a gunslinger, not, you know...) The last remaining Barksdale taking up arms alongside Omar to bring down Marlo? That would seem almost poetic...

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy... should have stayed in the Western... although having Freamon along does tend to lend legitimacy to this crazy experiment. I'm so going to miss this show.

-Doc

CKMorpheus
01-23-08, 12:26 AM
Yeah I saw Prop Joe getting taken out coming, just didn't think it'd be so soon.

I'm a little lost on some things though...

I thought Daniels was going to be Commissioner, but he's in Deputy Ops while Rawls sits in the Commissioners chair... What's up with that?

What was McNulty planning to do with those teeth? Make bite marks on the corpse? To what end? Will his serial killer have a cannibalistic MO?

Who was the guy Chris and Snoop had tied up in the garage for Cheese?

EDIT: Oh I think I know who it was. That was Prop Joes nephew who was giving Cheese a hard time at the Co-op meeting. Marlo gave Cheese prop Joes nephew, and so Cheese backed away from protecting Joe. Am I right?

Can't wait for next weeks episode! I know these are online, but I just want to stretch this out as long as possible!

tony99
01-23-08, 12:34 AM
Rawls is the interim commish for like 6 months -- until Daniels can take over. City hall didn't want to fire everyone at once.

Hungry Man was tied up. Cheese had infringed on his drug territory or something like that.

mwbmis
01-23-08, 01:04 AM
Yeah I saw Prop Joe getting taken out coming, just didn't think it'd be so soon.

What was McNulty planning to do with those teeth? Make bite marks on the corpse? To what end? Will his serial killer have a cannibalistic MO?

It was just hard for me to imagine that Prop Joe had lived as long as he had on top w/o seeing what was coming. I guess it was a blind spot.

McNulty was just following Lester's advice. His little ribbons were barely worth an article in the middle of the paper. You have sensationalize it. They're probably going to give their "killer" a catchy nickname like Buffalo Bill or the Tooth Fairy.

Ph8te
01-23-08, 01:45 AM
Was the Greek (awesome to see him back!) afraid of Marlo? Seems a little odd that everyone's so afraid of this asshole. He's sociopathic, sure... and Chris and Snoop have skills... but still, he's put himself out there a couple of times... cut off the head and I doubt the rest of his organization would be that hard to pick off.

-Doc

I didnt see this at all. If anything the Greek has the most power out of all of them. Marlo isnt "stupid" as far as that goes, he doesnt stand a chance if he goes against the Greek. He knows where his money comes from and the Greek is his source. He could try to make a power move much like he did with Prop Joe, but I dont see that happening.

kms_md
01-23-08, 10:24 AM
EDIT: Oh I think I know who it was. That was Prop Joes nephew who was giving Cheese a hard time at the Co-op meeting. Marlo gave Cheese prop Joes nephew, and so Cheese backed away from protecting Joe. Am I right?

IIRC, cheese is prop joe's nephew - which makes his betrayal even more bitter. to quote prop joe, "he was always a disappointment."

IIG
01-23-08, 11:45 AM
The pacing and action of this season really reminds me of the final season of the Sopranos. Every character is expendable, anybody can go at any given time. In The Wire that is true with the gangsters, as well as the politicians, and police brass.

..........Still, why'd they have to take Prop Joe??? He was one of my favorite characters, with his Baltimore "yews", "dews" and "tews". It'll be a different city without Joe's hand in the pot.

Doc MacGyver
01-23-08, 01:41 PM
I didnt see this at all. If anything the Greek has the most power out of all of them. Marlo isnt "stupid" as far as that goes, he doesnt stand a chance if he goes against the Greek. He knows where his money comes from and the Greek is his source. He could try to make a power move much like he did with Prop Joe, but I dont see that happening.

Oh, I agree - Vondis and the Greek are the top of the chain as far as this show is concerned. But The Greek's line, "If we refuse, he will come back again. This much he shows us." Which seems to suggest that they A - didn't want to deal with Marlo as an enemy and B- didn't want to go to bat for Prop Joe. So instead, they'll respect Marlo and take his money as "insurance" so that if Prop Joe gets taken out, they'd still have a Baltimore distributor. However, by accepting that money and taking Marlo's "insurance", they all but gave the green light on Prop Joe... which they also seem plainly aware of with the remorseful, "No... he's not Joe."

This is smart in the long run. Don't make any enemies. Deal with whomever is on top. Still, it's also a pretty cowardly way of doing business.

-Doc

Manco
01-23-08, 03:40 PM
Oh, I agree - Vondis and the Greek are the top of the chain as far as this show is concerned. But The Greek's line, "If we refuse, he will come back again. This much he shows us." Which seems to suggest that they A - didn't want to deal with Marlo as an enemy and B- didn't want to go to bat for Prop Joe. So instead, they'll respect Marlo and take his money as "insurance" so that if Prop Joe gets taken out, they'd still have a Baltimore distributor. However, by accepting that money and taking Marlo's "insurance", they all but gave the green light on Prop Joe... which they also seem plainly aware of with the remorseful, "No... he's not Joe."

This is smart in the long run. Don't make any enemies. Deal with whomever is on top. Still, it's also a pretty cowardly way of doing business.

-Doc

I think what you say makes sense. I wonder why they didn't at least warn Joe about Marlo going behind his back.

As they've said. They trust Joe.They know Joe.Everything goes through Joe. The way the Greeks talked about Joe at the end of the last season. They made it sound like their relationship with Joe was something built over time. So why go with some unknown like Marlo?

Another thing about The Greeks. I wonder if we'll find out about their government connection. In season 3 I believe. McNulty's FBI friend put in some kind of information request pretaining to The Greeks and some FBI higher up in Washington or Quantico erased it from a computer.

Does anyone else remember this?

Doc MacGyver
01-23-08, 03:47 PM
I think what you say makes sense. I wonder why they didn't at least warn Joe about Marlo going behind his back.

As they've said. They trust Joe.They know Joe.Everything goes through Joe. The way the Greeks talked about Joe at the end of the last season. They made it sound like their relationship with Joe was something built over time. So why go with some unknown like Marlo?

My point exactly. The way they were willing to go to bat for Nikko if he stood tall in season 2 lead us to believe that these guys are stand-up with regard to their associates... be loyal to us, we will be loyal to you. Which is why the situation with Prop Joe is so disheartening.

-Doc

bunkaroo
01-23-08, 04:30 PM
Maybe they thought if they warned Joe, there could be a messy war in the streets, bringing undue police attention and riving down profits. Just a thought.

Scotts35
01-23-08, 06:50 PM
Nice call back to season two with one of the dock workers drinking in the homeless village.

RUSF18
01-23-08, 07:42 PM
Nice call back to season two with one of the dock workers drinking in the homeless village.

Was that definitely the same guy? It looked exactly like him but he also looked much older...he had a lot of gray in his beard.

Doc MacGyver
01-24-08, 12:08 PM

Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiiii-yet!!! Good catch, I totally missed that... wow, nice little acknowledgement to how F-ed up that situation was... like the campaign poster for Frank on the lamp-post at the end of season 3.

-Doc

bluetoast
01-24-08, 05:03 PM
Another thing about The Greeks. I wonder if we'll find out about their government connection. In season 3 I believe. McNulty's FBI friend put in some kind of information request pretaining to The Greeks and some FBI higher up in Washington or Quantico erased it from a computer.

Does anyone else remember this?

Who could forget Agamemnon Busmalis? :) He warned the Greek about Sobatka talking to the police, which led to one of the best episode endings of the series.

Cusm
01-26-08, 10:19 PM
Who could forget Agamemnon Busmalis? :) He warned the Greek about Sobatka talking to the police, which led to one of the best episode endings of the series.

McNulty's FBI friend said that the greek was giving them terrorist info so he was being protected.

Flay
01-26-08, 10:37 PM

If you thought that was a nice call back, wait until you hit episode...I've said too much. ;)

bluetoast
01-27-08, 12:36 PM
If you thought that was a nice call back, wait until you hit episode...I've said too much. ;)

I was gonna mention it as well, but then I realized it wasn't from this episode. :)

Cartload
01-27-08, 04:59 PM
Was that definitely the same guy? It looked exactly like him but he also looked much older...he had a lot of gray in his beard.

Yeah, the guy in the homeless village was Johnny Fifty.

Daryl
01-27-08, 10:54 PM
:lol: that's exactly the reason I didn't go ahead and watch them yet - I knew I'd go crazy not having 8-10!

uteotw
01-27-08, 11:42 PM
The pacing and action of this season really reminds me of the final season of the Sopranos. Every character is expendable, anybody can go at any given time. In The Wire that is true with the gangsters, as well as the politicians, and police brass.

I agree, but I have a feeling The Wire won't leave us with a "whatever you want it to mean" artsy ending. At least I sure hope not.

As for Marlo, "Sweet Jesus" I hope Omar works that..

BDB
01-28-08, 01:35 AM
I don't understand why some of you would d/l the 3 episodes. I'm loving the anticipation week by week on this show.

This episode was jam packed, so much going on with everyone as already indicated, loved Omar assessing the situation.

dvd182
01-28-08, 10:47 AM
I don't understand why some of you would d/l the 3 episodes. I'm loving the anticipation week by week on this show.

No kidding. I'm even having trouble skipping the on demand airings and waiting until Sunday at this point.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Omar takes out almost everybody on the streets and still ends up dying, so hopefully he ends up okay. Marlo better not win.

Clay Davis trying to smooth over the crowd at the perp walk was pretty amusing.

Michael T Hudson
01-28-08, 10:57 AM
I liked the scene wtih Herc and Marlo about the camera.

Timber
01-28-08, 12:09 PM
I'm hoping that Marlo does win in the end because I think it would be fitting seeing the bad guy come out on top in this series. On the other hand the sight of Micheal shooting him in the back and taking control would be nice also.

Doc MacGyver
01-28-08, 12:55 PM
I'm hoping that Marlo does win in the end because I think it would be fitting seeing the bad guy come out on top in this series. On the other hand the sight of Micheal shooting him in the back and taking control would be nice also.

My roommate (and one of my many "Wire" converts) predicted this would happen last year. He sees Michael pulling a Michael Corleone and playing the game right. I'd be alright with that - coming up hard, learning the game from Chris and realizing there's business, and there's evil - and choosing to do it the "right" way.

All that being said... Bodie... Someone needs to answer for it :(

-Doc

Daryl
01-28-08, 07:05 PM
No kidding. I'm even having trouble skipping the on demand airings and waiting until Sunday at this point.
No way could I make it to each Sunday's episode. Too many people I know have On Demand and then spoil it even when they mean well - someone saying "man, wait until you see what happens at the end" is almost just as bad as spelling it all out. It's human nature, even when I say "OK, don't say anything about it", they just can't help themselves

Even when I try to avoid it on the internet, I can't. I was on a Michigan football board last week, and some assclown put this week's Marlo/Prop Joe ending in his subject line, which created a huge uproar! I missed that actual spoiler, fortunately, but then I knew something fairly big was gonna happen, based on other people being ticked off at the guy who spoiled it.

So, since HBO On Demand hasn't been added to DirecTV On Demand yet, I will watch my downloaded version of ep 5 tonight so someone doesn't spoil it for me tomorrow. I'll hold off on 6 and 7, though. ;)

bluetoast
01-28-08, 10:48 PM

But even so, the desire for instant gratification can't be that hard to understand can it? -wink-

Deftones
01-29-08, 01:59 PM
Great episode. Sad to see Prop Joe go. Despite what he is and does, you could at least feel a connection to the guy. The way Marlo was talking to him when he got shot was the mark of a true sociopath.

tbird2340
01-31-08, 11:28 AM
I'm a little lost on some things though...

Who was the guy Chris and Snoop had tied up in the garage for Cheese?

Cheeze is prop Joe's nephew.. The dude that Chris and Snoop had tied up was one of the guys in the co-op that was arguing with Cheeze about some territory that Cheeze was invading..

The reason Marlo had Chris and Snoop get him for Cheeze was because Cheeze did Marlo a favor by telling Chris and Snoop about Butchie (which in turn led to Omar coming back to town). It had nothing to do with Cheeze backing away from Joe.. It least I didn't think so until just now..

He did leave the house right before Marlo and Chris came in..

Either way.. Great freakin episode!! :up: