Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Def Leppard - "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" - March 18

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Def Leppard - "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" - March 18

Old 01-19-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Def Leppard - "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" - April 29

from USA Today - January 17
McGraw enters the 'Lives' of Def Leppard

Tim McGraw joins Def Leppard on Nine Lives, the first single from the band's Songs From the Sparkle Lounge album. Nine Lives came about after the country singer sang Pour Some Sugar on Me with the band at a 2006 Hollywood Bowl concert. They reconnected at a Nashville show. McGraw tour manager, Robert Allen, is Leppard drummer Rick Allen's brother.

Sparkle Lounge also breaks a 25-year pattern of using single-word album titles. The name refers to a backstage area on the 2006 tour for the members to write songs.

"The whole record's got a '70s feel," Leppard's Joe Elliott says. "By our standards, it's a very adventurous album. It's not OK Computer, but it's got moments that some of our fans are going to think have gone slightly left field." Sparkle Lounge is out March 18, nine days before the band starts its tour with Styx and REO Speedwagon.
from DefLeppard.com - Jan 18
With March 27 being the start date of the band's World Tour to support their upcoming album "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE, LOUNGE", many of you have been wondering if the album will actually be released before the kickoff show. We can hereby tell you that as of today, the album is scheduled for release on MARCH 17 in the UK and MARCH 18 in the rest of the world. That's right -- in about two months the band's new album might be in the shops! Please note this is a TENTATIVE date and therefore may change.

Furthermore, the first single off the album will be called "NINE LIVES" and will feature a guest appearance by country star TIM MCGRAW.

Backstage at concerts in '06 and '07, the band would jam in a rehearsal room decorated with sparkly lights and begin to come up with the songs for a new album. They nicknamed this room the Sparkle Lounge.

EDIT: the release date has been changed to April 29

Last edited by GuessWho; 03-07-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-19-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from some blog (http://breakoutthegoodstuff.blogspot...-leppards.html)
....McGraw met the members of Def Leppard during a 2006 show at the Hollywood Bowl, when he sang “Pour Some Sugar on Me” with them.

“You know what these situations are like," Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott told me in an interview for USA Today. “They normally lead to a lot of what we like to call ‘rock and roll promises.’ I don’t know how many times I’ve heard the phrase ‘we should work together one day’ and it leads to nothing. Fair play to Tim, he came through, and when the opportunity arose, he was there.”

Elliott says “Nine Lives” is “kind of like a cross between ‘Armageddon It’ and ‘Honky Tonk Woman. It’s got a tinge of Stones-y country, as opposed to country country. I wouldn’t say it’s typical Leppard, by any means.”

“There are two or three songs that are what I would call ‘classic Leppard stuff,’” Elliott says. “They would’ve sat nicely on Hysteria or Pyromania.”

Other songs on Songs From the Sparkle Lounge include:

“Bad Actress” – “a humorous, mini-romp at the whole X Factor lifestyle,” Elliott says.

“Come Undone” – “a mid-tempo thing that’s sort of Zeppelin-esque.”

“Cruise Control” – “Very kind of anti-war, very much about the Iraq situation. We never like too push too hard on the political front, because it doesn’t really suit bands like us, but we have managed to express that we do have a bit of a brain with songs like ‘Gods of War.’” … where we can touch on stuff other than ‘Do you want to get rocked.’”

“Come On Come On” – “It’s just straight out of the glam-rock British hit singles in 1973. [Bassist Rick Savage] just went out there and wrote a Chinn & Chapman song. It’s Bowie, Sweet, T. Rex. It’s all that rolled into one.”
Old 01-19-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait for the new CD. I always thought Shania Twain would be the 1st country artist they'd sing with.
Old 01-20-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There's no doubt I'll end up buying this album to keep my collection complete, but with only 2 to 3 typical Leppard-sounding songs (at least to mid-Lep standards, as they've ventured out differently on some albums) and the promise that some people will be listening quizically, for the first time, I'm hesitant about a Def Leppard album.

I hope this one doesn't disappoint. (For the record, I love Slang and liked X quite a bit.)
Old 01-20-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

per defleppard.com, please note that that's temporary artwork, not the final cd cover.
Old 01-20-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
I thought X was crap, and Euphoria was disappointing (nice try at the classic Leppard style, but, for the most part, the songs weren't there).

I liked their cover album and thought at the time that they should try to blend those 70's styles in with their own to really get into making the album. Looks like they did. I'm very interested in this one.
Old 01-20-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is with all the surviving hard rock bands of the 80's catering to the country market? first Bon Jovi, now Def Lep. Why not instead try to rock harder than they have in 20 years instead of catering to the red state market?
Old 01-20-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a) it's just one song
b) for all we know, tim mcgraw might just be doing background vocals like he did on 'over and over again' with nelly -- nobody claimed nelly went country
Old 02-03-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
what is with all the surviving hard rock bands of the 80's catering to the country market? first Bon Jovi, now Def Lep. Why not instead try to rock harder than they have in 20 years instead of catering to the red state market.

It's called making a buck and selling out like they have their whole career.
What they need to do is remaster their first two cd's- On Through the Night and High and Dry so that I can actually play them agian. They're the only two that I like from Def Leppard.
Old 02-03-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reports from people who have heard the leak say that despite Tim singing a few lines, Nine Lives is nowhere near being a country song
Old 02-03-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked "Yeah". If this is going the 70's glam route, I'll definitely get it.
Old 02-06-08, 09:39 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where we can touch on stuff other than ‘Do you want to get rocked.’
Old 02-20-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NINE LIVES has been leaked and is making the rounds in a low-quality version recorded off New Zealand radio

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xI6XTJTh33M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xI6XTJTh33M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 02-21-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Def Leppard will perform on "Dancing with the Stars" on April 29 and "Jimmy Kimmel Live" the following night

Last edited by GuessWho; 02-21-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Def Leppard will perform on "Dancing with the Stars" on April 29 and "Jimmy Kimmel Live" the following night
Since that's 2 shows I watch, that's good to hear.

I think this is also good to hear: Members of the band have described the tracks from the album as written in the style of Hysteria, with the production style of High 'n' Dry. The album is said to have no ballads.
Old 02-21-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bigjim25
written in the style of Hysteria, with the production style of High 'n' Dry
i can get that sense in 'nine lives' though maybe it's still a bit more polished than hnd

have you heard the song? watch the youtube vid a few posts up.
Old 02-23-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YouTube video is dead now. Oh well.
Old 02-24-08, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Still gonna pick this one up day of release. I'm trying not to get too excited as I don't want to be let down on yet ANOTHER release of which I'd made too much beforehand and was disappointed. But all indications are pretty good so far!
Old 02-25-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
As a fan of the band (I like ALL their albums), I'll be picking this up on release day.
Old 02-29-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PRESS RELEASE: BAND RETURNS WITH NEW STUDIO ALBUM

"SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE" SET FOR RELEASE ON APRIL 29

Album Release Kicks Off With U.S. Spring Concert Tour!
Album Contains 11 NEW Original Songs Including the Single "Nine Lives" Featuring Tim McGraw

New York, February 28, 2008 - Def Leppard, Great Britain's premiere arena rock band, is back with a bang-kicking off 2008 with the release of their 14th studio album and a U.S. arena concert tour scheduled for this spring.

Entitled "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE" (Bludgeon Riffola/Island/UMe), the album set for release on April 29, contains 11 new songs including the highly-anticipated single "NINE LIVES" featuring a groundbreaking collaboration with country music superstar Tim McGraw. The band is set to debut the single on ABC-TV's Dancing With The Stars on April 29 and on Jimmy Kimmel Live on April 30. "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE" is Def Leppard's first album of brand new material since 2002's "X" and begins yet another remarkable new chapter in the band's 30-year recording career.

Recorded last year during month-long stints at lead singer Joe Elliott's Dublin studio, the album's title refers to a backstage area called "The Sparkle Lounge" on Def Leppard's 2006 tour where the band would go to write songs. Tracks from the album have been described by the group as written in the style of "HYSTERIA", with the production of "HIGH 'N' DRY"

"The whole record's got a great '70s feel," said lead singer Joe Elliott. "By our standards, it's a very different album as we've been very adventurous, musically, on certain numbers. On the album there are classic Def Leppard songs and then there's also tracks that are very new-wave influenced while others sound like middle-to-late '70s AC/DC. There will definitely be some moments on it where anybody that's familiar with our music will go, 'Whoa! I wasn't expecting that!'"

The foundation for the album's collaboration with country music superstar Tim McGraw was layed at Def Leppard's 2006 Hollywood Bowl show where McGraw joined the band on stage for an encore performance of "POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME." The artists stayed in touch following the performance, and when the band started writing the song "NINE LIVES" they immediately thought of reaching out to McGraw to sing on it. Guitarist Phil Collen flew to Nashville to play it for McGraw who loved it and recorded the song in Nashville shortly after. Other standout tracks on the album include "GO," reminiscent of the band's classic track "ROCKET" in its power and aggressive tribal beat; "LOVE," an emotive and moving epic song; and the anthemic "TOMORROW," a song written by guitarist Collen about the death of his father.

With more than 65 million albums sold worldwide and two prestigious Diamond Awards to their credit, Def Leppard--Joe Elliott (vocals), Vivian Campbell (guitar), Phil Collen (guitar), Rick "Sav" Savage (bass) and Rick Allen (drums)-continues to be one of the most important forces in rock music. Over the course of their career, the band has produced a series of classic groundbreaking albums that set the sound for generations of music fans and artists. The group's spectacular live shows, filled with powerful melodic rock anthems, have become synonymous with their name and they are an institution in the touring industry as they continue to sell out arenas worldwide.

The 11 working titles on the new album are as follows:

Go
Nine Lives
C'mon C'mon
Love
Tomorrow
Cruise Control
Hallucinate
Only The Good Die Young
Bad Actress
Come Undone
Gotta Let It Go

For more information on Def Leppard, "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE", and upcoming tour news, please visit the band's web site at www.defleppard.com.
Old 02-29-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Def Leppard will perform on "Dancing with the Stars" on April 29
How Rock is that?
Old 02-29-08, 11:37 AM

Def Leppard is still making music? I don't know whether to be impressed or depressed.
Old 02-29-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Def Leppard is still making music? I don't know whether to be impressed or depressed.
And their concerts still get 15,000-20,000 attendees. Deal with it.
Old 02-29-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And their concerts still get 15,000-20,000 attendees. Deal with it.
You tell 'em!
Old 03-06-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

album cover added to first post

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.