Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Sylvester Stallone's a talented filmmaker?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

People make fun of this guy's intelligence b/c of the way he talks, but as a screenwriter, I think he's pretty damn talented.

Who else could squeeze 6 stories out of a guy named Rocky Balboa? The guy writes, the guy directs....
Old 01-16-08, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hes a decent writer. i mean what do you expect, if someone has a career not everything is going to be great. everyones going to have those projects they wished they never did. but if you dont take chances than how do you know what works and what doesnt.

alot of people probly wrote rocky balboa off as soon as they seen the first trailer, but that movie was imo one of the best in the series.

after seeing balboa last year, i honestly think rambo 4 will be good
Old 01-16-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he's a fine writer, director, and actor, albeit not very consistent. Sure, the guy has made more than a few bad decisions in his career, he had a few stumbles after his initial success especially, but overall he's fine at all three.

I'm really looking forward to Stalllone's Poe.
Old 01-16-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he's very underrated and just hated on for his bad decisions.
Old 01-16-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He wrote Rocky so he has to be pretty good. I gained respect for him after watching the extras on Rocky Balboa he acknowledges how ridiculous the sequels were.
Old 01-16-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think he definitely has talents as a writer and director.
Old 01-16-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
No.
Old 01-16-08, 04:58 PM

Not bad.
Old 01-16-08, 05:07 PM

Never been a fan.I think he's a terrible actor.Plays every character exactly the same.And hard to look at too(male equivalent of Barbra Streisand).
Old 01-16-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes.
Old 01-16-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rocky. Rambo. Cop Land.

I'm happy having him in the wood of Holly.
Old 01-16-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'd say he's a serviceable writer and director... let's face it, he's not exceptional... but I get the feeling that he puts his heart and soul into those projects, so I give him credit there. As an actor he's cashed in more than a few times...but who wouldn't. A couple of good ol' American Icons does count for something...and not many actors can really boast that at the end of a career.
Old 01-16-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's a very talanted filmmaker - Rocky proved that. As far as the rest of the Rocky movies and Rambo movies, they huge money makers. Can't really blame a guy for wanting to make a few hundred million. (complete guess on my part, I have no idea how much they actually netted)
Old 01-17-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He's hit or miss. Mostly miss.
Old 01-17-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Old 01-17-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I like Sly. But I think what taints his reputation and makes him difficult to take seriously is the phase he went through in the mid-80s. He made some real crap back then - and a lot of times he was also the writer and director, so it would be very hard to excuse it and blame someone else.

My biggest annoyance during this "crap phase" was how he insisted every movie have a runtime of 90 minutes or less. That way, theaters could always have at least one more showing of his movie each day. That makes it kind of obvious that he wasn't really trying to make movies for the sake of art, or movies that even tried to be good for that matter. He wanted to make movies as lacking in plot and complicated storylines as humanly possible just to make money. (Example: An honest to goodness movie about arm wrestling!)
Old 01-17-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by inri222
I like this film. The story isn't great, but the direction by Stallone is actually pretty good.

Plus it has Finola Hughes.
Old 01-17-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes.
Old 01-17-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
My biggest annoyance during this "crap phase" was how he insisted every movie have a runtime of 90 minutes or less. That way, theaters could always have at least one more showing of his movie each day. That makes it kind of obvious that he wasn't really trying to make movies for the sake of art, or movies that even tried to be good for that matter. He wanted to make movies as lacking in plot and complicated storylines as humanly possible just to make money. (Example: An honest to goodness movie about arm wrestling!)
Please name an example where a longer run-time would benefit a Stallone film and not weigh it down with the unnecessary. Rocky III? Did we need more character development for Rocky, maybe with some long-shots of him sitting sullen in his mansion in the dark? No. 90 minutes is lean and says all that needs to be said, and his films are the better for it. If I were to fault Stallone for anything he did in the 80s, then I cite the AOR soundtrack to Rocky IV. However, ending the Cold War made up for it.
Old 01-18-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I respect the man and his talent.
Old 01-18-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Rocky. Rambo. Cop Land.

I'm happy having him in the wood of Holly.

Agreed.. Demolition Man, Cliffhanger even Judge Dredd... They may not be Oscar worthy, but they are a lot of fun to watch.

Actually listening to him do an interview with O&A and he sounds pretty intelligent. He was talking about the industry and some of the movies he did.

I think he just gets a bad rap
Old 01-18-08, 10:20 AM

Talented, yes. He's intelligent and quite articulate when interviewed. Clearly his ego has led to many poor choices (which he has acknowledged), but he has had some artistic achievements as an actor and/or writer and/or director that can't be considered lucky: Rocky, Copland, Cliffhanger (yes, Cliffhanger). Even though a lot of his biggest hits may not be critical triumphs, some of them are well made films. Unfortunately most of these things have not aged well and lend themselves to parody, especially when his most well known work is from the 80's :