DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

No joke, Long OOP Walt Disney Treasues found on Disney Movie Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No joke, Long OOP Walt Disney Treasues found on Disney Movie Club

Ok so I signed up for the club, to bolster my Disney collection on classic animation. I was looking for another DVD to get and I found Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse In Black & White. Now I know how searching for DVD's go, sometimes stuff is mislabeled and you think you are getting one thing and you get another. And this one also displayed an image for Volume 2.

So on a whim, I ordered it and totally expected it to be volume 2. The box came yesterday and son of a...there it is, Volume 1, the long OOP version in the tin and numbered. So I figured I would share this with everyone, in the hopes that they can get one too.

I don't have any pics handy, but I can certainly take a few if requested.

There is only one catch to this, you have to be a member of the club. Once you are a member, search for Walt Disney Treasures and click on the first Mickey Mouse in Black & White. It will show a picture for volume 2, but it is indeed volume 1.
Old 01-15-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This doesn't surprise me. There's a history of OOP tins showing up there. On several occasions, I purchased OOP wave 1 releases there and turned around and resold them fairly quickly for significant profits. I no longer look for deals like this, but it was fun and profitable when I did.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
Old 01-15-08, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That has been in-stock there as long as I can remember. And for those looking to profit from it, here is the catch: you can only order a maximum of 3 per household on any DVD from the club.
Old 01-15-08, 08:57 AM
Banned

Yup, nothing new. I got the whole first wave there when supposedly the whole first wave was out of print. It was even a package deal where they were cheaper than they were in stores.
Old 01-15-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How many of the OOP titles are on there? I'd sign up for the club just to pick them up since I missed out on them when they were still in stores.
Old 01-15-08, 09:32 AM

By my count 10:

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave One — December 4, 2001
Mickey Mouse in Living Color
Silly Symphonies
Disneyland, USA
Davy Crockett

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Two — December 3, 2002
Mickey Mouse in Black and White
The Complete Goofy
Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Three — May 18, 2004
Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2
The Chronological Donald

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Six — December 19, 2006
More Silly Symphonies
Old 01-15-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

macnorton, where are you seeing all those listed on the club?
Old 01-15-08, 09:55 AM

All of those aren't listed, those are the ones I have seen listed as OOP. The club has the following:

Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto Volume One DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse In Black And White Volume Two DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse In Living Color Volume 2 DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse In Black And White DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Tomorrow Land DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Chronological Donald DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Disney Rarities, Celebrated Shorts: 1920s - 1960s DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox, Legendary Heroe DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: The Adventures of Spin & Marty DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald, Volume Two: 1942-1946 DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto Volume Two DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club Featuring The Hardy Boys DVD$29.95
Walt Disney Treasures: More Silly Symphonies DVD$29.95
Old 01-15-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
All of those aren't listed, those are the ones I have seen listed as OOP. The club has the following:
OK. I was just wondering, it appeared as though you were answering the post above yours that asked what OOP titles were on the site. I was confused, because I'm a member, and I surely would have noticed if Goofy was still available on the site.
Old 01-15-08, 05:43 PM

wish there was Davey Crockett
Old 01-16-08, 02:21 AM

Fair warning: I used to buy and resell from DMC. Disney monitors Amazon and eBay for this practice. I was quickly booted out of the club, and sent a large bill for my "free" introductory items.
Old 01-16-08, 04:14 AM
Suspended

Wait, how would they connect the eBayer with you, a Disney club member, unless they won one of your auctions just to compare the seller name with a club member? And that would be sly on their part. Too sly. And costly too.

E
Old 01-16-08, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Wait, how would they connect the eBayer with you, a Disney club member, unless they won one of your auctions just to compare the seller name with a club member? And that would be sly on their part. Too sly. And costly too.

E
I would think the same thing, but I wouldn't doubt it. My mom is a demonstrator for Stampin' Up! (a company that sells rubber stamps). They have been known to look for demonstrators selling stamps (and even crafts made with their stamps) on e-bay. Somehow they can find out. Maybe they look for e-mail addresses or something. I'm not sure. But I'm sure whatever way they do it, there's a way around it (i.e. let someone else sell it for you ).
Old 01-16-08, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Fair warning: I used to buy and resell from DMC. Disney monitors Amazon and eBay for this practice. I was quickly booted out of the club, and sent a large bill for my "free" introductory items.
Shenanigans. There is nothing in the Club's terms and conditions that forbids resale of introductory selections (or any other selections, for that matter). I'm not even sure such a provision would be legal. Also, it would be next to impossible for Disney to determine which of the hundreds of auctions were being supplied with introductory selections, let alone connect any particular auction with a particular Club member.

Sounds like someone is trying to scare away the competition...
Old 01-16-08, 06:50 AM
Cool New Member

Here is a quote from the DMC Agreement

"Membership in the Disney Movie Club is limited to customers residing in the United States and its territories and may be withdrawn at any time. Membership is intended for personal use only. Movies purchased through the Disney Movie Club are not intended for resale or other commercial purposes. Violations to this policy are strictly prohibited."
Old 01-16-08, 07:19 AM

The previous quote from redmike is correct. Reselling is prohibited by DMC. I dealt with this for over a year. Disney was able to tell me all of the details of the items I sold on eBay. They actively monitor auctions and apparently try to match up items to DMC members.

I fought this hard. When I refused to pay, Disney used a collection agency. Then I got harassing phone calls and letters. However, I wrote a lengthy letter to the collection agency explaining my side of the story. I felt I was misled by Disney, since they only disclose the full terms of the club after you join, including the prohibition on reselling. It is buried in a booklet they mail with your "free" DVDs. Anyway, I have not heard any more from the collection agency for about 6 months now.
Old 01-16-08, 07:38 AM
Banned

I find that clause stupid, since you can find most of their intoductory releases at any online or B&M store. How can they prove that you are selling what they sent you instead of any DVD you may have purchased anywhere else?
Old 01-16-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I stand corrected, although there is nothing in the terms and conditions provided when you first sign up that prohibits resale. To stick that term in AFTER you sign up, as JerryKILL describes, is a bit underhanded.
Old 01-16-08, 11:22 AM
Cool New Member

There are exclusives to the Disney Movie Club, so maybe they are targeting this.
Old 01-16-08, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4

E
after paypal and ebay fees , the profit isn`t much.especially if they only limit 3.example.the so called hot Walt Disney Treasures:Mickey Mouse in Black & White tin vol. 1 averages out at $35 dollars on ebay, disney club sells it for 29.99. maybe a year ago but not now. people want blu-rays now.

Last edited by bloopbleep; 01-16-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 11:51 AM

Drats, I was hoping to see the first wave Disneyland one on there.
Old 01-16-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
after paypal and ebay fees , the profit isn`t much.especially if they only limit 3.example.the so called hot Walt Disney Treasures:Mickey Mouse in Black & White tin vol. 1 averages out at $35 dollars on ebay, disney club sells it for 29.99. maybe a year ago but not now. people want blu-rays now.
I would imagine it will be a while before you see the Disney Treasures in Blu-ray. Like maybe after they release Cinderella VI direct to video.
Old 01-16-08, 05:30 PM

I would suggest calling them to see if they have certain titles. Awhile back I got a few of the Treasures from them that where not listed on the web site but where available when I called.
Old 01-16-08, 06:37 PM

the new catalog I just received had the davy crockett one listed for 29.99.
Old 01-17-08, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bmello
I would imagine it will be a while before you see the Disney Treasures in Blu-ray. Like maybe after they release Cinderella VI direct to video.
what I meant to say was the mickey mouse black n white tin was going for over a 100 dollars on ebay a year ago now averages 35 dollars . big price difference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.