Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater's Greatest Hit (...and 21 other pretty cool songs) - due April 1st

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dream Theater's Greatest Hit (...and 21 other pretty cool songs) - due April 1st

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

DREAM THEATER COLLECT THEIR GREATEST HIT

(...& 21 other pretty cool songs)

The Acclaimed Band’s First-Ever Best-Of Compilation Spans 14 Years of Progressive Hard Rock and Includes Rare Edits and B-Sides

Features Three New Remixes by Kevin Shirley of

“Pull Me Under,” “Take The Time” and “Another Day”

Two-Disc Set Available April 1 from Rhino

LOS ANGELES - After recently celebrating the band’s 20-year anniversary, Dream Theater returns with its first-ever best-of collection. Spanning 1991-2005, the two-disc set contains rare single edits, B-sides and a trio of new remixes that spotlight that band’s nonpareil musicianship, complex arrangements and amazing songwriting. Dream Theater’s GREATEST HIT (...& 21 other pretty cool songs) will be available from Rhino on April 1 at all physical retail outlets and www.rhino.com for a suggested retail price of $19.98 and at all digital retail outlets for a suggested retail price of $12.99.

Referring to Dream Theater’s first and only major radio hit, “Pull Me Under,” the compilation’s tongue-in-cheek title is a testament not only to the band’s sense of humor but also highlights the acclaimed New York-based quintet’s ability to make music and cultivate a legion of fans on its own terms, without help from radio or MTV. The collection features more than two hours of progressive hard rock from James LaBrie (vocals), John Myung (bass), John Petrucci (guitar/vocals), Mike Portnoy (drums/vocals) and Jordan Rudess (keyboards).

The collection contains three newly remixed versions of tracks from Dream Theater’s breakout 1992 album, Images And Words: the aforementioned “Pull Me Under” as well as “Take The Time” and “Another Day.” Portnoy says this album presented the perfect opportunity to give the songs a bit of a facelift. “The original mixes always sounded a bit ’80s’ to me, so we had our good friend and longtime mixer Kevin Shirley give the tracks a bit of an update to sound more like the rest of the Dream Theater catalog. The songs remain the same (no pun intended-Kevin just mixed that album as well), but there are little nuances in the tracks that I forgot were originally there, and it’s very cool to hear them again.”

The collection’s 22 songs are split evenly between two discs, which are divided into “The Dark Side” (the metallic) and “The Light Side” (the melodic). Filled with some of the band’s most sinister sounds, the first disc lives up to the billing of “The Dark Side.” Longtime fans will appreciate the abundance of alternative versions of classic tracks, including single edits of “Lie,” “Home,” and “Misunderstood.” Disc One concludes with two tracks from the band’s 2005 album Octavarium: “The Root Of All Evil” and “Sacrificed Sons.”

The second disc, “The Light Side,” spotlights the band’s melodic side and features an alternate mix of “Through Her Eyes,” a single edit of “Solitary Shell” and “To Live Forever,” a 1994 B-side from the U.K.-only single of “Lie.”

A grassroots phenomenon for 20 years, Dream Theater continues to record studio albums acclaimed for award-winning musicianship as well as artistic vision. To meet the demands of a demanding global fan base, the band also maintains an active touring schedule that regularly includes sold-out performances around the world.

Dream Theater has currently been on the road since June 2007, traveling the globe in support of their latest studio album Systematic Chaos. Their world tour will conclude with a final run throughout North America in May as they premiere their “Progressive Nation” package tour with Opeth, Between The Buried And Me, and 3 supporting.

DREAM THEATER’S GREATEST HIT

(...& 21 other pretty cool songs)

Track Listing

Disc 1: (The Dark Side)

1. “Pull Me Under” (2007 Remix)
2. “Take The Time” (2007 Remix)
3. “Lie” (Single Edit)
4. “Peruvian Skies”
5. “Home” (Single Edit)
6. “Misunderstood” (Single Edit)
7. “The Test That Stumped Them All”
8. “As I Am”
9. “Endless Sacrifice”
10. “The Root Of All Evil”
11. “Sacrificed Sons”

Disc 2: (The Light Side)

1. “Another Day” (2007 Remix)
2. “To Live Forever”
3. “Lifting Shadows Off A Dream”
4. “The Silent Man”
5. “Hollow Years”
6. “Through Her Eyes” (Alternate Album Mix)
7. “The Spirit Carries On”
8. “Solitary Shell” (Single Edit)
9. “I Walk Beside You”
10. “The Answer Lies Within”
11. “Disappear”
Old 01-15-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Considering only a small percentage of their songs would fall into the "light" category, it is kind of silly to dedicate a whole disc to them.
Old 01-15-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, they certainly have plenty light tracks to fill a disc. There are usually 2-3 per album.

Personally I love the album title. I love that the band aren't delusional about their status in the music biz and no qualms being the "biggest band you've never heard of." It's light hearted fun. Kudos to the band.
Old 01-16-08, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should have done a 3 disc with this and put a bunch of unreleased stuff and covers on Disc 3. I'd kill for a decent sounding version of To Live Forever
Old 01-16-08, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by corbin dallas
They should have done a 3 disc with this and put a bunch of unreleased stuff and covers on Disc 3. I'd kill for a decent sounding version of To Live Forever

Did you look at the track list for disc 2?
Old 01-17-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well, they certainly have plenty light tracks to fill a disc. There are usually 2-3 per album.

Personally I love the album title. I love that the band aren't delusional about their status in the music biz and no qualms being the "biggest band you've never heard of." It's light hearted fun. Kudos to the band.
Agreed. I won't be picking it up, but seems like a pretty good compilation and the name is hilarious.
Old 01-17-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Great title. I love that the band has a sense of humor in it's title. Sick of bands that have one or two real hits and come out with "Greatest Hits" albums.
Old 01-17-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
So is this a cash grab by their former label? I see there are no Systematic Chaos songs on there.

I already have To Live Forever from the Lie CD-single, so I won't be getting this one (don't care about remixes or single edits)..
Old 01-17-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is odd that it's on Rhino. Aren't they signed to Roadrunner now?
Old 01-17-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edclem
It is odd that it's on Rhino. Aren't they signed to Roadrunner now?

That's my point. Rhino has been responsible for several DT releases, and they must have some contractual privilege to release stuff from DT's back catalog. That would seem to explain why there are no Systematic Chaos songs there
Old 01-17-08, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

That's my point. Rhino has been responsible for several DT releases, and they must have some contractual privilege to release stuff from DT's back catalog. That would seem to explain why there are no Systematic Chaos songs there
Actually, Dream Theater was never on Rhino. Before this, the only releases on Rhino were DVDs. However, Mike Portnoy posted this on his message board the other day:

Rhino now owns the DT back catalog as a result of their affiliation with Warner (at least I&W through Octavarium)

They are very supportive of DT and my ideas, so expect more re-issues and goodies in the future...
Old 01-17-08, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by rmorgan
Did you look at the track list for disc 2?

Apparently not...actually i did and completely missed it. That is all...carry on.

Backs out of thread hoping noone remembers a stupid post.....
Old 01-18-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

I already have To Live Forever from the Lie CD-single, so I won't be getting this one (don't care about remixes or single edits)..
I have most of it as well, but the completionist in me will be getting it. I am looking forward to the new remixes.
Old 01-18-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmorgan
Actually, Dream Theater was never on Rhino. Before this, the only releases on Rhino were DVDs. However, Mike Portnoy posted this on his message board the other day:
I never claimed they were on Rhino. I was referring to the DVD's. I didn't say CD's.

Plus, the Score companion CD did carry a Rhino label from what I saw. It's all WB anyway.
Old 01-20-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Article
the band also maintains an active touring schedule that regularly includes performances around the world.
Liar!

I'll probably buy this.

das
Old 04-04-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is a pretty good set. The remixed tracks are great. The radio edits are throwing me for a loop when I hear them. Odd, but fine, something different.

Peruvian Skies, Misunderstood and Sacrificed Sons don't really belong on the heavy disc. I've always loved Anna Lee off of FII, it would have been cool to see it on the light disc instead of Disappear.

It still would have been nice to have a new song on the set. Stereotypical, but would have given the set a little better value for fans.
Old 04-04-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't even know this was coming out until yesterday. Was thinking of buying this until I saw the lame packaging.

I have every CD anyway so no big deal really.

Funny, they didn't include anything off the first DT album.
Old 04-04-08, 08:25 PM

I still think it is ironic and weird that their 2001 release "Live Scenes From New York" had artwork of New York in flames on the cover, besides being officially released on 9/11.
Old 04-05-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flicker
I still think it is ironic and weird that their 2001 release "Live Scenes From New York" had artwork of New York in flames on the cover, besides being officially released on 9/11.
Actually, it was released the following week (9/18/01)
Old 04-05-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Snowmaker was correct. It was scheduled for 9/11 but was bumped a week due to the attacks. It was even in the Best Buy ad for the week of 9/11. And of course it was recalled immediately and rereleased in October.
Old 04-05-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think Snowmaker was correct. It was scheduled for 9/11 but was bumped a week due to the attacks. It was even in the Best Buy ad for the week of 9/11. And of course it was recalled immediately and rereleased in October.
IIRC I picked this up at my local Tower Records on 9/12. Didn't even think about the artwork until a few days later when I read that the cover had been recalled. Sure enough, when I went to back to Tower to pick up the live DVD, all copies of the CD had been pulled.
Old 04-05-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jippy
IIRC I picked this up at my local Tower Records on 9/12. Didn't even think about the artwork until a few days later when I read that the cover had been recalled. Sure enough, when I went to back to Tower to pick up the live DVD, all copies of the CD had been pulled.
I thought I recalled getting it on 9/11 myself, but spent 15 minutes googling how it went down for my last post and chalked it up to a bad memory.

At any rate it is sitting on my shelf.
Old 04-05-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the original cover version at Best Buy. Had to ask to get one though because they didn't want to put them on the shelf.

And all 3 disks are scratched up because of the stupid packaging!

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-05-08 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 04:48 AM

9/11

Was the official release date. Many stores got it in stock on Monday, Sept. 10 for next-day selling.
Old 04-06-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Amazon:

Product Details

Audio CD (October 16, 2001)
Original Release Date: September 18, 2001
Number of Discs: 3
Format: Box set, Enhanced, Live
Note on Boxed Sets: During shipping, discs in boxed sets occasionally become dislodged without damage. Please examine and play these discs. If you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund or replace your purchase.
Label: Atlantic / Wea

From Yahoo Shopping:

Album Details: Live Scenes from New York
Release Date:09/18/2001
Label:Warner Bros Uk
UPC:075596266123

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-06-08 at 08:22 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.